5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch with a few small flaws.
Appearance

Published on January 6, 2011 by Jonathan

1.0 out of 5 stars The don't honor their warranty
Bought the Seiko watch and 10 months later it began stopping and then starting again. Sent it to Seiko along with my sales receipt and warranty card. They called and told me it would cost about $90 to repair the watch and that they wouldn't honor the warranty since it was bought online.

Good luck if you buy one. Mine is now going into the garbage.
Published 9 months ago by canstar

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch with a few small flaws., January 6, 2011
Jonathan (Redmond, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE039 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
Appearance

I wanted a self-powered watch, but there are a lot of those. I bought this one because it was one of the best-looking. It's a very flexible piece of hardware: it's not too large or too small, looks nice with jeans or slacks, and is altogether a simple and classic everyday watch, a subtle accent for almost any outfit. The one unpleasant surprise in this department was how shiny the thing is. It's not clear from Amazon's picture, but almost every surface except for the bracelet is practically mirrored. The markers, the ring around the case, the hands--they GLEAM. It makes the watch a little more eye-catching than I'd thought.

Solar power

The guts of this particular watch--the Seiko V158 caliber, if you're curious--have a 10 month power reserve after a single day's exposure to strong sunlight. Um, awesome. I don't worry about batteries.

Readability

Look really close at the Amazon photo. There are tiny individual ticks for each minute. It's not hard to see what the exact time is to the second. The day and date are also easy to read.

Night readability

This watch uses a special kind of luminous paint called LumiBrite. Man, it's great! It glows for a long time, and it doesn't take bright light to get it going. My only complaint is that Seiko was a little stingy with the stuff--there are tiny glowing dots at each 5 minute mark, and just barely a sliver for each hand. If you're not well-oriented, it can be hard to tell which of the glowing dots is at the 12 o'clock mark.

Fit

Here the watch earns a rare thumbs down. The bracelet links are rather large. Taking off four links left the watch clearly too large, sliding around my arm and onto my hand when I moved my arm, the face moving askew or to the side of my arm. But take off five links and it's suddenly so tight I can feel it grasping me and see the marks when I take it off. My wrist must be exactly the wrong size. Lame. Careful with this one if you have small wrists.

Accuracy

Does it keep time? Yes. Because it's basically a quartz watch with an extra system to get energy from light, it has the same accuracy as a quartz watch-- +/- 15 seconds a month for this movement. Not bad at all. Many of the self-powered watches I was looking at were self-winding "automatic" watches--because of their mechanical movements, they're prone to be off by much more than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Seiko quality, May 15, 2011
PB (Phoenix, Az) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE039 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
This watch is nice looking & has proper size & weight. I had to remove 3 links from the bracelet for proper fit, but this was no big deal. I purchased the Paylak TSLK3 watch band pin remover tool sold here at amazon & it was a relatively simple job. There is also an adjustment near the clasp to shorten the bracelet by removing the spring pin & moving the pin to the inner most hole. This apprears to shorten it by approx 1/2 a link in length. I purchased this when it was on sale here at amazon for $59 making it a excellent value & would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars . . . very elegant looking watch !, June 10, 2011
Rivman (Downtown Stittsville, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE039 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
I purchased this particular Seiko watch after perusing the many, many watches available on Amazon.com. This watch is nicely finished with a shiny chrome bezel surrounding the clearly marked black dial, and a satin sheen, silver link type adjustible band, with a pinch type locking clasp. It is solar powered and will run for 10 months after a full single charge, eliminating the need to replace watch batteries. It has a clearly visible, contrasting white, adjustable, day and date readout on the crown side of the watch. The case diameter is not too big, quite slim, and not bulky on the wrist. Best of all, the purchase price of this nice looking watch was very reasonable, with no delivery charges. If your looking for a simple watch that looks quite elegant, keeps accurate time, and won't break the budget - this may be the watch for you !

1.0 out of 5 stars The don't honor their warranty, July 1, 2013
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE039 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)

Good luck if you buy one. Mine is now going into the garbage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well received by my son, November 30, 2011
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE039 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
I always have difficulty thinking of gifts to send my sons, who are in their 20s and were much easier to please when they were young children. This Seiko watch was well reviewed by other consumers, and I like the idea of using solar power whenever possible. I took a risk on choosing a design he might want to wear. As with other reviewers, he found the band to be in need of adjustment for the size of his wrist. It could be more convenient to resize. Other than that, he likes it and intends to keep it for his "dress watch," as his watches tend to get scratched up in his day to day active life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch stopped working and isn't covered under warranty, October 19, 2012
Shawn Phelps (Brownsburg, Indiana United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE039 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
I purchased this watch for my husband's birthday. I own a Seiko that I have been very happy with, so I figured I would stick with the same brand for him. The watch stopped working within two months of purchase from Watch Savings. Because he had the watch sized it could not be returned to the seller. I sent it to Seiko to be repaired as I thought it would be covered under their one year warranty. I received a repair estimate of $82 from Seiko and they said the watch is not covered under warranty because it is not from an authorized Seiko dealer. So instead of saving $75 dollars it will cost an additional $92 including shipping to have it repaired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even my jeweler loves this watch!, February 23, 2011
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE039 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
Very generous band. Nice weight. I had to have two links removed by my jeweler, and he really loved the watch. More than once he commented about what a nice watch it is. It was a Christmas gift for my husband, and although not much time has passed since Christmas, the watch is keeping perfect time and is just beautiful. I may steal it. Highly recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seiko Men's SNE039 Solar Black Dial Watch, August 10, 2012
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE039 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
I purchased this watch in April of this year and from day one one it has been a hassle. I have to constantly walk around shaking my wrist and leaving it under direct sun light. Even then it does not keep time and I have to keep setting it. It pretty that's it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Solar By Style, August 4, 2011
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE039 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
There is no question that when it has came down to watches, Seiko has been one of the strongest brands of watches for the past several years. They've made some great watches that have worked very well. This Seiko Solar Watch works very well through natural and solar light. No battery is needed when the watch does die down. It has enough energy stored in a solar cell inside the watch, which absolutely works well. It is a great watch to own for anyone who is looking for a inexpensive watch, that you don't need to worry about. It also works well in the dark, with enough energy powered inside the cell of the watch. My one gripe about it is that I wish there could've been a deeper water resistance to match with their black leather-strapped solar watch which is 300 feet. Yet, if you're looking for a inexpensive alternative to Citizen's Eco-Drive watches, than give Seiko Solar a try.

Price: B

Convience & Comfort: B

Overall: B

5.0 out of 5 stars difficult watch to find, September 30, 2013
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE039 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
I was looking for a stainless steel watch (so the color wouldn't rub off), day and date, plain readable dial and a 10 year battery. I did one better with this watch's solar drive. Hopefully 20 years on the battery. Very solid watch. I have worn a resin case timex with a Velcro band for 10 years and it weighs nothing. I was concerned this watch would be too heavy but the strap is so comfortable that I don't know it's there. Hasn't lost a second in the week I've had it. The trick to removing links from the bracelet is to tap on the pin in the direction of the arrow on the inside of the band. The pins are pressed in and a tap is required to free them. I used a fairly heavy heavy paper clip as the punch. I contacted Seiko and Amazon is an authorized dealer so if you buy from Amazon the guarantee is honored. Great watch.

ARRAY(0xa4d7924c)