Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seiko Men's SNE039 Stainless Steel Solar Watch
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 6, 2011
Appearance

I wanted a self-powered watch, but there are a lot of those. I bought this one because it was one of the best-looking. It's a very flexible piece of hardware: it's not too large or too small, looks nice with jeans or slacks, and is altogether a simple and classic everyday watch, a subtle accent for almost any outfit. The one unpleasant surprise in this department was how shiny the thing is. It's not clear from Amazon's picture, but almost every surface except for the bracelet is practically mirrored. The markers, the ring around the case, the hands--they GLEAM. It makes the watch a little more eye-catching than I'd thought.

Solar power

The guts of this particular watch--the Seiko V158 caliber, if you're curious--have a 10 month power reserve after a single day's exposure to strong sunlight. Um, awesome. I don't worry about batteries.

Readability

Look really close at the Amazon photo. There are tiny individual ticks for each minute. It's not hard to see what the exact time is to the second. The day and date are also easy to read.

Night readability

This watch uses a special kind of luminous paint called LumiBrite. Man, it's great! It glows for a long time, and it doesn't take bright light to get it going. My only complaint is that Seiko was a little stingy with the stuff--there are tiny glowing dots at each 5 minute mark, and just barely a sliver for each hand. If you're not well-oriented, it can be hard to tell which of the glowing dots is at the 12 o'clock mark.

Fit

Here the watch earns a rare thumbs down. The bracelet links are rather large. Taking off four links left the watch clearly too large, sliding around my arm and onto my hand when I moved my arm, the face moving askew or to the side of my arm. But take off five links and it's suddenly so tight I can feel it grasping me and see the marks when I take it off. My wrist must be exactly the wrong size. Lame. Careful with this one if you have small wrists.

Accuracy

Does it keep time? Yes. Because it's basically a quartz watch with an extra system to get energy from light, it has the same accuracy as a quartz watch-- +/- 15 seconds a month for this movement. Not bad at all. Many of the self-powered watches I was looking at were self-winding "automatic" watches--because of their mechanical movements, they're prone to be off by much more than this.
1212 comments|228 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2011
I purchased this particular Seiko watch after perusing the many, many watches available on Amazon.com. This watch is nicely finished with a shiny chrome bezel surrounding the clearly marked black dial, and a satin sheen, silver link type adjustible band, with a pinch type locking clasp. It is solar powered and will run for 10 months after a full single charge, eliminating the need to replace watch batteries. It has a clearly visible, contrasting white, adjustable, day and date readout on the crown side of the watch. The case diameter is not too big, quite slim, and not bulky on the wrist. Best of all, the purchase price of this nice looking watch was very reasonable, with no delivery charges. If your looking for a simple watch that looks quite elegant, keeps accurate time, and won't break the budget - this may be the watch for you !
on October 19, 2012
I purchased this watch for my husband's birthday. I own a Seiko that I have been very happy with, so I figured I would stick with the same brand for him. The watch stopped working within two months of purchase from Watch Savings. Because he had the watch sized it could not be returned to the seller. I sent it to Seiko to be repaired as I thought it would be covered under their one year warranty. I received a repair estimate of $82 from Seiko and they said the watch is not covered under warranty because it is not from an authorized Seiko dealer. So instead of saving $75 dollars it will cost an additional $92 including shipping to have it repaired.
11 comment|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2013
I was looking for a stainless steel watch (so the color wouldn't rub off), day and date, plain readable dial and a 10 year battery. I did one better with this watch's solar drive. Hopefully 20 years on the battery. Very solid watch. I have worn a resin case timex with a Velcro band for 10 years and it weighs nothing. I was concerned this watch would be too heavy but the strap is so comfortable that I don't know it's there. Hasn't lost a second in the week I've had it. The trick to removing links from the bracelet is to tap on the pin in the direction of the arrow on the inside of the band. The pins are pressed in and a tap is required to free them. I used a fairly heavy heavy paper clip as the punch. I contacted Seiko and Amazon is an authorized dealer so if you buy from Amazon the guarantee is honored. Great watch.
on July 1, 2013
Bought the Seiko watch and 10 months later it began stopping and then starting again. Sent it to Seiko along with my sales receipt and warranty card. They called and told me it would cost about $90 to repair the watch and that they wouldn't honor the warranty since it was bought online.

Good luck if you buy one. Mine is now going into the garbage.
11 comment|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2011
This watch is nice looking & has proper size & weight. I had to remove 3 links from the bracelet for proper fit, but this was no big deal. I purchased the Paylak TSLK3 watch band pin remover tool sold here at amazon & it was a relatively simple job. There is also an adjustment near the clasp to shorten the bracelet by removing the spring pin & moving the pin to the inner most hole. This apprears to shorten it by approx 1/2 a link in length. I purchased this when it was on sale here at amazon for $59 making it a excellent value & would recommend it to anyone.
on February 23, 2011
Very generous band. Nice weight. I had to have two links removed by my jeweler, and he really loved the watch. More than once he commented about what a nice watch it is. It was a Christmas gift for my husband, and although not much time has passed since Christmas, the watch is keeping perfect time and is just beautiful. I may steal it. Highly recommend.
on May 18, 2012
I've owned this watch for a little under 6 months now - and there have been no flaws.

When I first received the watch, I noticed the seconds hand was ticking every other second - and it did that for the next few days. I later read in the manual that the "every-other-second" ticking was due to low battery, so I stuck the watch on my window sill for a full day and that went away.

The watch looks great, keeps time, and for the price, it is very well received.

I have only one small rant about this watch, which keeps it a smudge below 5 stars:
1. The day/date setting is kind of tedious to deal with - if the date happens to not have a 31st on it, be prepared to wind it forward - this isn't a defection of the quality of the watch, just a tedious rant of owning watches of these sorts that need to manually adjusted every other month

My wrist size happens to be right in between one of the bands, so I've chosen to go with the tighter fitment. I'm sure some nicer watch makers would make bands with smaller increments to avoid this dilemma - but again, this watch was a good purchase for its value and....

How could you go wrong with solar?!
Excellent watch. Again, I recommend!
on March 22, 2015
I bought this watch, read the lines "...day/date calendar. 30 meters water resistant." and "Water-resistant to 30 meters under water." in the detailed description then noticed in another place it states "Water resistant to 99 feet (30 M): withstands rain and splashes of water, but not showering or submersion". Not sure how something can be resistant up to 30 m without being "submerged". In fact, mine couldn't handle minor splashes and occasional few inch submersion of sitting on the side of a pool. A decent amount of water actually got inside the watch, so now I'm having to get it fixed. Very misleading descriptions in my opinion. Border line deceptive if you aren't careful. I actually only noticed the showering or submersion tid bit after I had an issue with it.

In addition, the watch also came with no charge. So I had to let it sit for a few days in direct sun light on my car's dash before the low charge double tick went away and I could use it. Not really a problem, more inconvenient seeing as other vendors and solar Seiko watches I've bought have come charged.

Other than those two items, I actually really loved the watch. The face size is perfect for my medium sized wrists, and it matches my wife's womans Seiko solar.
review image
on September 26, 2015
watch arrived this morning and I love it. took it to my local jeweler, band adjusted in 2 minutes. i have smallish wrists and the face size is perfect, watch band feels great. day and time settings were simple. time has been exact for the past 12 hours. Seiko - Solar,,, yep.
review image