Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now HTL

on January 25, 2012
I like solar powered watches and this is my first Seiko in this category.

The watch has a 120 click per revolution unidirectional rotating bezel. It is also 42mm in case diameter with a 20mm between lugs width for band fitting. I mention this as another Amazon listing for this watch, and one for the SNE107 which is identical except for dial color, are incorrect in the listing of these dimensions.

The watch body is high polish stainless steel while the rotating bezel is a brushed finish on the top surface. The day and date line up well with one another in the calendar window. The orange color of the dial is not as bright as the Seiko "Orange Monster" automatic mechanical watch. This is due to this solar powered watch needing a dial that allows light to reach the solar cell located behind the dial.

I wish Seiko offered this orange dial version of the watch with the steel bracelet as well as with the the rubber strap. The black dial version is available both ways.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2012
Aesthetically VERY pleasing; the orange color is softer and smoother than the Monster (I'm a UT fan so it's perfect!)
I've worn a classic black Seiko diver auto for 10+ years with a metal bracelet so I have to say (I have to be quiet here because it is jealous) the black rubber band on the orange holds the watch more comfortably. It is somewhat stiff at first but is becoming more flexible (2 weeks in). I clasp the band at night and have considered putting it in hot water but it doesn't really bother me.
This watch shines and is very accurate. My new favorite watch by far!

P.S. boiled a cup of water in the microwave and put each end if the strap in for a minute then coiled it up until it cooled. Totally worked; should have done it two weeks ago!
on April 11, 2012
I love the watch, so much so that I ended up forking over $65 to buy the OEM bracelet (same one as offered with the black dialed model). Unlike a few of Seiko's other orange dialed offerings, the shade of orange on the SNE109 is less intense. The current picture above makes the orange appear far more vivid than it looks in real life.

The dial has the look of Stewart's Orange n' Cream soda...decidely orange but pleasantly subdued. No doubt this design choice was made to aid the functioning of the underlying solar panels. I actually prefer it as it makes the watch a bit more versatile, wardrobe wise, and it won't jar your eyeballs every time you check the time.
on December 7, 2012
I own 15-20 watches, many of them Seiko. I always found Seiko watches to be an excellent value, and so far this watch seems up to my expectations. I actually use my dive watches for diving, so, I'm hoping that the solar feature works well as the time and expense of getting batteries replaced in dive watches is a bummer due to having to have the case pressure tested after being opened. Unbeknownst to me even my Seiko Kinetic dive watches must have the power cells replaced eventually or they stop working. Supposedly, the solar line does not need battery or power cell replacement, so that's great news! While automatics/self winders are nice in that they too don't need batteries, I find that keeping them properly wound is a big hassle--especially when you own several watches.

The build quality of this watch is great--the rotating bezel has just the right amount of resistance to move when needed but stays put otherwise. The 42mm case looks and feels great on my XL glove hands, and the day/date is easy to read and adjust. The watch is very accurate and I've yet to have the solar charge get low enough to need special attention other than just wearing it a few times a week. For less than $175, I think it's hard to find a better dive watch for the money--much less one that looks so good!

The only negative thing I can say about this watch is that the orange face is not nearly as bright/vibrant as it appears in the product photos. It is actually more of a "cream orange" than a vibrant orange. Still, it looks great, orange is an unusual face color, and I get more than a few compliments on this watch. I did ditch the rubber band and replaced it with a Seiko metal band that I had--I think it looks a lot nicer and the rubber bands make my wrist sweat/smell especially in warmer weather.

I've only had the watch for 6 months now, so time will tell (pun intended!) if this watch holds up well and keeps good time.
on September 30, 2012
I bought this watch for my husband and it was a very good choice. It's good looking and a great complement to his vintage Seiko diver watch. It's more accurate and just as durable ... plus, the orange makes it stand out and pop.

Delivery and handling by the vendor met all our expectations. The price was right -- $154!!! -- and made the perfect birthday present.

Highly recommended!!!
on September 30, 2014
1. Excellent overall built quality (the hardlex glass, screw-down crown, rotating bezel, luminous markers which last long throughout the night, all excel)
2. Outstanding, I mean outstanding accuracy - no error whatsoever (not even 1/2 a second) over the past 3 months (compared daily to the official time at

1. The second hand is offset - it lands between the seconds markers, however this is a flaw most likely specific only to this watch and not necessarily to the model.

I would have given it 3 or 4 stars due to the second hand misalignment, which I have to admit it's disappointing (or I would have even returned it) but the (freakishly) outstanding accuracy completely balances off, and it compels me to reward this watch with an unreserved 5 star rating.

I have replaced the original rubber band for the 20mm SUPER Engineer Type II Solid Stainless Steel Straight End Watch Band-Push Button (bought also from Amazon) and it feels/looks much better
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2013
Most of the reviews accurately describe the watch, so I'm just reaffirming what has been said. In bright light, the orange is slightly cream colored, but in dimmer light it is a more vibrant orange. And with the orange background, nicely sized markings, and black outlines on the hands, the time is amazingly easy to read. I think it glows very well at night too. The bezel is brushed, but most else is polished, and it truly does sparkly brilliantly in the sun. It actually reflects the bezel tick marks perfectly, which is cool. Haven't had any problems with the solar. The crown does need to be screwed/unscrewed, but it takes all of a second. There is Spanish, but there's English too if you read the manual. The watch band is the most negative part of the watch. It looks nice, but if you look at it, there are 3 "waves" as the watchband gets close to the watch. Those waves (and the watchband itself) are a very thick rubber, so they do tend to dig into your wrist. I stopped noticing it fairly quickly, but if you are sensitive to that sort of thing, it will bother you. The watchband is definitely stiff too, so it doesn't form to your wrist very well. But the wristband and watch both do look fantastic and it has rapidly become the watch I wear most frequently.
on January 24, 2013
This watch just looks good. The orange is a little softer than the picture. Great design all around, and keeps good time.
on May 15, 2013
This watch has become my favorite. I changed out the watchband, however. The 20mm NATO heavy-duty nylon band is perfect for it. I also really like that it is solar. The orange face is not as bright as the picture; it is softer in tone. The illumination is not real bright at night as I would have liked, but no big deal there. The bezel is easy to turn, maybe a little too easy if used for diving. Otherwise, a great watch.
on February 28, 2014
I love this watch! The band is comfortable and easy to latch. The dial is easy on the eye and the glow-in-the-dark dots are amazingly bright. I wore it out a couple of nights ago and the dial was illuminating through the shirt sleeve I had on.

See 1 answered question