5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch - What a bargin!
This review was originally written for the SNK803K2. The only difference is the color of the dial. But I bought this on too.

For me this watch is fantastic. If you know auto-winds (automatics), then you know their little idiosyncrasies. So let's start there...

Timing:
It's not a chronometer, it does gain (or lose) more than 0.5 seconds/day...
Published on April 10, 2010 by Aleutian Ice Skater

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work
Got it as a gift. It was great for two days, after which it stopped. No amount wearing it, shaking it, and swishing it would get it to start back up.

Got another one a few months later. This time it worked for a whopping three months before stopping on me once again, with no hope to be recovered.

I don't think I'll be going Seiko ever again.
Published on January 2, 2012 by minirhyder

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch - What a bargin!, April 10, 2010
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNK805 Seiko 5 Automatic Green Canvas Strap Casual Watch (Watch)

Timing:
It's not a chronometer, it does gain (or lose) more than 0.5 seconds/day. In fact, on some days it seems to gain as much as a minute. Gaining time seems to be a common observation with other owners and reviewers. My guess is that it is "set fast" at the factory, with the idea that "if we can't get it perfect out of the box, then it's better to be early than be late." For this, you could probably go down to your local watch repair and get the timing set. Having said that, My watch normally runs about a minute fast over the course of a month and that doesn't bother me. In fact, true to all automatics, it gains and loses a little time each day or so and it is generally the same "one minute" ahead of the current time for several months.

Quality:
The watch is obvious quality. Seiko is quality and they obviously get a great job on this one too. It's quite rugged. I regularly ride a both a mountain bike and road bike to work, which is 12 miles in one direction. The watch take a vibrational beating, but never really misses a beat (outside of the range mentioned in the previous paragraph).

Looks:
I wasn't keen on the style of the band that came with the watch, although it is tough and will probably never come apart. I went a got a leather band, and this thing is beautiful. No kidding, totally styling.

Trivia:
The numbers on the watch dial are definitely unique: minutes on the outside; hours on the inside... Okay - but is a great way to help little kids to tell analog time, "The little hand tells you the hours and the big hand tells you the minutes." Was it planned?

Recommendations:
I went out and got two more. Another for myself, with a green dial (that my oldest son commandeered) and another with a blue dial for my daughter in the Coast Guard. I was able to spend $64 a piece for these, so really, I think they were a great deal.

I have an older, beautiful Omega Deville that I wear when the occasion arises, but to tell you the truth, I end up feeling just a little guilty leaving this watch behind for some event, when it really is my trusted time piece.

However, after this... An Omega Planet Ocean.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch for the money., November 27, 2007
Excellent watch for the money. I bought mine through Amazon about six months ago and am very satisfied by this watch. I think I paid $54 for it then and the shipping was very quick. This is my first automatic and I love the fact that I never have to replace a battery. It has a simple elegance that reminds me of WWII British and American issue watches. It runs a little fast (probable gains a minute a week) but this is not a big issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great color! (update), January 21, 2011
I was afraid that the green would be too green... well, the face is very very dark green. (You can easily replace the band to a different color such as brown or black and the people will not be able to tell the face is green unless they pay attention) The band is a little thin but you can always change that. The band is a good quality and well built. The watch has a good solid weight, yet it is thin enough to wear with a dress shirt. I'm giving 5 stars because it is an excellent value for the price.

UPDATE: I originally gave 5 stars, but I have been wearing the watch all day under a normal condition. It gained 4 min per every hour (yes, per hour). I read another user having the same issue. this is not normal. I will try again for a couple of more days. If the condition does not improve I will return the watch. I still like the color and the looks of the watch. :)

UPDATE 2: It has been a week since I wore this watch. I have been wearing it for the last 2 days and the time is accurate. Am I going crazy? I left it on my desk for the last week or so (with face up flat). I was going to return but decided to test it out once again. It keep accurate time for the first hour so I kept on wearing (including overnight)as of today it gained +-15sec (within 48 hours). It is amazing. I'm very glad! I read about automatic watches needing "break-in" time or "adjustment-period"... so I guess it is true... or maybe it was magnetized during shipment.. or maybe it was stored side ways for a long-time.... well, I don't know since I'm not a watch specialist or anything.... I just want to tell you that it works. If I want an accurate time I would go with Quartz. My rating is going back up to 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty amazing watch for $60..., March 28, 2013
Derek (Pacific NW) - See all my reviews
I've been wearing this watch everyday for about a week now and I'm very impressed with it so far. Here is my own breakdown of the watch, in no particular order:

Size:
I have a 7 inch wrist and this watch fits me very nicely. It's such a relief to find an affordable, reasonably-sized, automatic watch these days when every new watch design coming out seems to be 40mm in diameter or larger. I would consider this a "mid-sized" watch for anyone with a medium to small wrist. Also, in case anyone is interested, the width of the lugs and strap for this watch is 18mm.

Fit and Finish:
The quality and craftsmanship of this watch is pretty outstanding considering it only cost $60. The dial is sharp and the lume is totally useable. Make no mistake, this watch was most likely assembled entirely by robots, but I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing (they did a pretty good job on mine). The watch strap leaves a little to be desired, feeling a bit coarse on the skin; I'll probably replace it eventually, but for now, it's doing just fine.

Accuracy:
I've been keeping track of my watch's accuracy compared to the US atomic clock for the last week and I have to say I'm impressed. It's been consistently 2-4 seconds fast per day, which is even more accurate than its officially stated specifications. In other words, it's overachieving in a big way. To get more accurate than this you are going to have to shell out at least 5 times the cash.

Automatic Mechanism:
This watch employs a Seiko 7S26C movement, which, in my humble opinion, is an absolute marvel of modern engineering. It is rumored that this mechanism costs all of $10 to produce, which, if true, is simply amazing. It's extremely efficient in winding the mainspring and is reported to be very durable, shock-resistant, and extremely low-maintenance in the long-term. You couldn't really ask for much more from such an inexpensive movement. I will say, the rotor does "rattle" ever so slightly when the watch is jerked around suddenly, but this is nothing that you can hear unless you have it close to your ear. It hasn't bothered me at all and doesn't seem to have any impact on the function of the watch. Lastly, this movement is not officially "hackable" but you can actual manually force it to hack by turning the crown slightly against its normal rotation direction while in the second position... this effectively stops the seconds hand. If you turn it back to normal then the second hand starts back up again. Hack achieved! Now just set the hour and minutes and you're good to go.

Water Resistance:
This watch has a stated water-resistance of 30 meters (or 3 ATM). I haven't really tested this, but I have washed the watch in a sink without any incident. Personally, I won't hesitate to swim in this watch even though the manufacturer guidelines tell you not to swim in a 30m WR watch (the manufacturers are just covering their own skin, in my opinion, but your opinion might vary). I'm betting that this watch will most likely keep a seal while the gaskets and O-rings are relatively new, and besides, it's only a $60 watch anyway... not worth losing sleep over.

Summary:
Compared to many of the more expensive automatic watches out there, this watch basically gives you 80% of the functionality for 20% of the cost (or less!). I'd say that's a steal any way you look at it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One out of four, June 29, 2007
Jan Husdal (Molde, Norway) - See all my reviews
This watch comes in 4 models, SNK 803 with a beige strap and dial, SNK 805 with a green strap and dial, SNK 807 with a blue strap and dial, and SNK 809 with a black strap and dial. What I like most is the red tip on the seconds hand that sweeps continuously across the dial and not in steps for every second like in most analog watches. Also cool is the untraditional numbering of the hour markings, where the 5-minutes are more protruding than the hours. The strap looks better in the photos than in reality, but it's still very nice and tough-looking, although it is narrower than you think when you see it on the guy's arm in the pictures above. The strap looks better in the photos than in reality, but it's still very nice and tough-looking, although it is narrower than you think when you see it on the guy's arm in the pictures above. The see-through case is a gimmick I could do without, but anyway, nice to watch the watch work. Buy all four and you have one to go with every occasion and dress colour/code. This item sells on eBay for 30-40 dollars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Automatic Watch, July 13, 2011
M. Farley (Virginia Beach, VA) - See all my reviews
I've had this watch for several months now and could not be more pleased. After a few weeks of wear (automatic watches require some time to 'settle out' when they're new), it was keeping time within about 10 seconds a day. The case is elegant in its simplicity. The exhibition caseback is a nice touch. The band is nothing remarkable, but it's pretty sturdy.

As automatic watches go, it's hard to beat the quality for this price. The Seiko 7S26B movement in this watch is generally regarded as 'bulletproof.' I wear this watch everyday and work in pretty rough conditions for a watch and this has held up very well. On one occasion, I snagged the watch on a pipe fitting so hard that the band snapped free and the watch fell about 3 feet onto a steel plate. The impact dislodged the rotor in the watch (the piece that winds it when it's on your wrist). I unscrewed the caseback, screwed the rotor back into place, and the watch is still keeping time within 10 seconds a day.

Overall, this is a great watch. I would recommend it for someone looking at their first automatic watch, as well as someone looking to add another watch to their collection. I liked it so much I now own it in two other colors as well!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought it for a deployment., January 25, 2013
Batteries in my old watch died on me right after I got to Afghanistan and I figured instead of ordering batteries and messing with it I'd rather try a new watch that doesn't need batteries. I used this for the rest of my deployment and It held up very well. It runs fast, but the reviews said that so I'm not that concerned. Better running a little ahead than a little behind. The band is getting a little scruffy after a year, but I think that's an acceptable lifespan (still works fine, just looks rough). Had it over a year now and still using it every day back home.

5.0 out of 5 stars War is War, August 10, 2013
I had to wear this watch up where the sun don't shine for three and a half years before I was finally able to get it home to that boy's father. But, a promise is a promise.
The boy is very happy with the watch, and the quality has surpassed even the toughest times.
Five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars As a REAL man....I must say this is a fine timepiece...., April 27, 2011
The bezel is a classic size, not like the many gaudy over-sized bezels that are being churned out by every watch company these days. It's not tiny as suggested by some other reviewers, i'd say it's about the size of your average Timex Iron-man digital watch. It's thickness makes up for the smaller bezel diameter. I would sorta understand the size complaints if it were small and thin, but it's sits on the wrist with ample thickness to convey that it is indeed a mans timepiece. Not dainty by any means.

The green face is very unique yet understated. There is the option to view the day in English or French. So far it keeps very accurate time, I've only owned it for a few days so i'll update this review if anything changes. The watch is very light and comfortable to wear. Overall, i'd say you can't go wrong with this one in any color.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch. Just what my husband wanted and we saved over $100 vs local jewelry store., August 29, 2013
Just what my husband wanted. He flies a sailplane and this watch is perfect for his lifestyle. What a deal.

Rate and Discover Movies