100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on April 10, 2010
This review was originally written for the SNK803K2. The only difference is the color of the dial. But I bought this on too.

For me this watch is fantastic. If you know auto-winds (automatics), then you know their little idiosyncrasies. So let's start there...

It's not a chronometer, it does gain (or lose) more than 0.5 seconds/day. In fact, on some days it seems to gain as much as a minute. Gaining time seems to be a common observation with other owners and reviewers. My guess is that it is "set fast" at the factory, with the idea that "if we can't get it perfect out of the box, then it's better to be early than be late." For this, you could probably go down to your local watch repair and get the timing set. Having said that, My watch normally runs about a minute fast over the course of a month and that doesn't bother me. In fact, true to all automatics, it gains and loses a little time each day or so and it is generally the same "one minute" ahead of the current time for several months.

The watch is obvious quality. Seiko is quality and they obviously get a great job on this one too. It's quite rugged. I regularly ride a both a mountain bike and road bike to work, which is 12 miles in one direction. The watch take a vibrational beating, but never really misses a beat (outside of the range mentioned in the previous paragraph).

I wasn't keen on the style of the band that came with the watch, although it is tough and will probably never come apart. I went a got a leather band, and this thing is beautiful. No kidding, totally styling.

The numbers on the watch dial are definitely unique: minutes on the outside; hours on the inside... Okay - but is a great way to help little kids to tell analog time, "The little hand tells you the hours and the big hand tells you the minutes." Was it planned?

I went out and got two more. Another for myself, with a green dial (that my oldest son commandeered) and another with a blue dial for my daughter in the Coast Guard. I was able to spend $64 a piece for these, so really, I think they were a great deal.

I have an older, beautiful Omega Deville that I wear when the occasion arises, but to tell you the truth, I end up feeling just a little guilty leaving this watch behind for some event, when it really is my trusted time piece.

However, after this... An Omega Planet Ocean.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 27, 2007
Excellent watch for the money. I bought mine through Amazon about six months ago and am very satisfied by this watch. I think I paid $54 for it then and the shipping was very quick. This is my first automatic and I love the fact that I never have to replace a battery. It has a simple elegance that reminds me of WWII British and American issue watches. It runs a little fast (probable gains a minute a week) but this is not a big issue.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 28, 2013
I've been wearing this watch everyday for about a week now and I'm very impressed with it so far. Here is my own breakdown of the watch, in no particular order:

I have a 7 inch wrist and this watch fits me very nicely. It's such a relief to find an affordable, reasonably-sized, automatic watch these days when every new watch design coming out seems to be 40mm in diameter or larger. I would consider this a "mid-sized" watch for anyone with a medium to small wrist. Also, in case anyone is interested, the width of the lugs and strap for this watch is 18mm.

Fit and Finish:
The quality and craftsmanship of this watch is pretty outstanding considering it only cost $60. The dial is sharp and the lume is totally useable. Make no mistake, this watch was most likely assembled entirely by robots, but I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing (they did a pretty good job on mine). The watch strap leaves a little to be desired, feeling a bit coarse on the skin; I'll probably replace it eventually, but for now, it's doing just fine.

I've been keeping track of my watch's accuracy compared to the US atomic clock for the last week and I have to say I'm impressed. It's been consistently 2-4 seconds fast per day, which is even more accurate than its officially stated specifications. In other words, it's overachieving in a big way. To get more accurate than this you are going to have to shell out at least 5 times the cash.

Automatic Mechanism:
This watch employs a Seiko 7S26C movement, which, in my humble opinion, is an absolute marvel of modern engineering. It is rumored that this mechanism costs all of $10 to produce, which, if true, is simply amazing. It's extremely efficient in winding the mainspring and is reported to be very durable, shock-resistant, and extremely low-maintenance in the long-term. You couldn't really ask for much more from such an inexpensive movement. I will say, the rotor does "rattle" ever so slightly when the watch is jerked around suddenly, but this is nothing that you can hear unless you have it close to your ear. It hasn't bothered me at all and doesn't seem to have any impact on the function of the watch. Lastly, this movement is not officially "hackable" but you can actual manually force it to hack by turning the crown slightly against its normal rotation direction while in the second position... this effectively stops the seconds hand. If you turn it back to normal then the second hand starts back up again. Hack achieved! Now just set the hour and minutes and you're good to go.

Water Resistance:
This watch has a stated water-resistance of 30 meters (or 3 ATM). I haven't really tested this, but I have washed the watch in a sink without any incident. Personally, I won't hesitate to swim in this watch even though the manufacturer guidelines tell you not to swim in a 30m WR watch (the manufacturers are just covering their own skin, in my opinion, but your opinion might vary). I'm betting that this watch will most likely keep a seal while the gaskets and O-rings are relatively new, and besides, it's only a $60 watch anyway... not worth losing sleep over.

Compared to many of the more expensive automatic watches out there, this watch basically gives you 80% of the functionality for 20% of the cost (or less!). I'd say that's a steal any way you look at it!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 21, 2011
I was afraid that the green would be too green... well, the face is very very dark green. (You can easily replace the band to a different color such as brown or black and the people will not be able to tell the face is green unless they pay attention) The band is a little thin but you can always change that. The band is a good quality and well built. The watch has a good solid weight, yet it is thin enough to wear with a dress shirt. I'm giving 5 stars because it is an excellent value for the price.

UPDATE: I originally gave 5 stars, but I have been wearing the watch all day under a normal condition. It gained 4 min per every hour (yes, per hour). I read another user having the same issue. this is not normal. I will try again for a couple of more days. If the condition does not improve I will return the watch. I still like the color and the looks of the watch. :)

UPDATE 2: It has been a week since I wore this watch. I have been wearing it for the last 2 days and the time is accurate. Am I going crazy? I left it on my desk for the last week or so (with face up flat). I was going to return but decided to test it out once again. It keep accurate time for the first hour so I kept on wearing (including overnight)as of today it gained +-15sec (within 48 hours). It is amazing. I'm very glad! I read about automatic watches needing "break-in" time or "adjustment-period"... so I guess it is true... or maybe it was magnetized during shipment.. or maybe it was stored side ways for a long-time.... well, I don't know since I'm not a watch specialist or anything.... I just want to tell you that it works. If I want an accurate time I would go with Quartz. My rating is going back up to 5 stars!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 27, 2011
The bezel is a classic size, not like the many gaudy over-sized bezels that are being churned out by every watch company these days. It's not tiny as suggested by some other reviewers, i'd say it's about the size of your average Timex Iron-man digital watch. It's thickness makes up for the smaller bezel diameter. I would sorta understand the size complaints if it were small and thin, but it's sits on the wrist with ample thickness to convey that it is indeed a mans timepiece. Not dainty by any means.

The green face is very unique yet understated. There is the option to view the day in English or French. So far it keeps very accurate time, I've only owned it for a few days so i'll update this review if anything changes. The watch is very light and comfortable to wear. Overall, i'd say you can't go wrong with this one in any color.
review image review image review image
on April 9, 2015
I'm giving this a five star rating for the watch itself. The strap is a steaming pile. I'm new to this whole mechanical watch thing, so I was looking at bang for the buck. I like military/aviator style watches and this one seemed to fit the bill on the checklist. I have to say, when it arrived, I was surprised for so little money you'd get such a nice timepiece. The box and little pillow are nice. This would make a great gift for a nerdy kid. There are a ton of other reviews, so I'll just get down to what I like: The lume is powerful enough that I can read the watch all night long without having to charge it under a light. If I wake up at 4:45 am, I can see that's what time it is. The watch is quiet in operation. I do hear the jingle jangle of the rotor in the back swinging around with my arm when I move sometimes, but it's not annoying. My particular watch is very accurate. I've had it running for three weeks now and it has lost 14 seconds. I took the strap off of mine as soon as I got it and made one out of leather, so my photos are not representative of the strap that comes with it. The strap that comes with it is really thin and cheap feeling. I'd feel guilty using the strap that came with it as a collar for a feral cat, let alone my wrist. My only personal complaint of the watch is that it seems a bit small on me, but fashion comes and goes and changes. It's big enough that it doesn't look goofy. If I wasn't married, I'd immediately buy the other colors so I had one to go with every outfit.
review image review image review image review image
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 13, 2011
I've had this watch for several months now and could not be more pleased. After a few weeks of wear (automatic watches require some time to 'settle out' when they're new), it was keeping time within about 10 seconds a day. The case is elegant in its simplicity. The exhibition caseback is a nice touch. The band is nothing remarkable, but it's pretty sturdy.

As automatic watches go, it's hard to beat the quality for this price. The Seiko 7S26B movement in this watch is generally regarded as 'bulletproof.' I wear this watch everyday and work in pretty rough conditions for a watch and this has held up very well. On one occasion, I snagged the watch on a pipe fitting so hard that the band snapped free and the watch fell about 3 feet onto a steel plate. The impact dislodged the rotor in the watch (the piece that winds it when it's on your wrist). I unscrewed the caseback, screwed the rotor back into place, and the watch is still keeping time within 10 seconds a day.

Overall, this is a great watch. I would recommend it for someone looking at their first automatic watch, as well as someone looking to add another watch to their collection. I liked it so much I now own it in two other colors as well!
VINE VOICEon March 16, 2013
This watch is great for its price. The automatic movement is great. It has shown good accuracy, can keep running overnight, and has lovely sweeping motion. The watch face is very classic, with just enough shine from the 5 logo.

There are, however, some issues that explain why it's affordable:
- the strap isn't serious. But replacement straps are cheap.
- the calendar is sloooooow to turn. While the day dial advances quickly around 11pm, the day of week takes 4 - yes four - hours to turn! 2 to go to Spanish, another 2 to go to the right English day. This is a bit crazy. In fact the manual tells you to avoid adjusting your watch during those hours. My other automatics turn instantly.
- the watch knob has not heft. May sound silly, but adjusting the watch (done regularly since automatics are bound to stop) is not a satisfying experience.
- similarly the watch frame looks plasticky. It says steel, but it looks plastic. Also very light.
- the glass is not sapphire. Not a bit deal, but cheaper.

I think this is an amazing watch for its price, and I love the look. In fact with a brown leather strap I've been wearing it daily. That said, it does not feel more expensive than it costs, either, so not a bargain in that sense.
review image
VINE VOICEon August 6, 2012
My fascination with mechanical watches started recently, upon the arrival of the beautiful Stührling Original 168S.33151 Delphi Chariot. Of course, since I'm not made of money, my interest has to be focused on the more affordable models out there -- no Rolex or Omega for me.

I'm okay with that -- there seems to be a huge selection of affordable watches out there. After the Stührling (which feels to me like more of a dressy or out-on-the-town kind of watch), I started looking for another mechanical, one that would be a daily wearer with a low price tag.

I kept landing here, looking at the SNK805K2. I think it's very attractive, a far more minimalist approach to the face than I'm normally accustomed to, but I appreciate that. It looks as if it's loosely based off of a WW2 military watch, specifically one that I found with a google search that had the same number layout (minutes on the outside), same shape of the hands, and the arrow pointing up at 12 o'clock. The brushed steel case is beautiful, and I love the green. The red tip on the second hand is a nice touch.

Accuracy has been excellent so far, but I'll need to update the review later once I've had a chance to do a real test. If you do find your accuracy way off, it is possible to adjust it from a screw under the winding rotor (a welcome, if scary, option) The luminescent markings have worked surprisingly well -- when I wake up in the morning, I can still tell the time in complete darkness, 8 hours after the watch's last access to light. The size is good, my wrists being a little under 7 inches around. It does feel small after having worn the Stührling for a while, and even smaller once I got my Invicta 10494BLB Pro Diver Automatic. Regardless, it fits my wrist nicely.

I'll admit at first I was a little disappointed that there was no way to wind manually with the crown, but I got over it quickly since I've never found myself needing it. If I really want to make sure it's going to keep running overnight or something, I can take it off and shake it a bit. Also, I do like the watch band but it takes some getting used to (it's a bit scratchy at first) and if it gets wet, it stays wet for a while. And while I love the finish of the case, I can see how it might end up getting marked up pretty easily (it hasn't actually happened so I might be wrong, but it just seems that way).

All in all, none of the negatives are enough to warrant any less than 5 stars for a watch that costs under $70 shipped. I'm really happy with it.
review image review image review image review image review image
on January 25, 2013
Batteries in my old watch died on me right after I got to Afghanistan and I figured instead of ordering batteries and messing with it I'd rather try a new watch that doesn't need batteries. I used this for the rest of my deployment and It held up very well. It runs fast, but the reviews said that so I'm not that concerned. Better running a little ahead than a little behind. The band is getting a little scruffy after a year, but I think that's an acceptable lifespan (still works fine, just looks rough). Had it over a year now and still using it every day back home.