5.0 out of 5 stars Great engineered product
I am still in the process of reviewing this product. Here's what I have so far:

Xbar 107 seconds/week (runs fast) (7 min./month compared to 2-4 sec./month quart watch)
St DEV 27 sec.
N = 7
95% CI 2.447 using Student's t
m+ = 136 seconds/week
m- = 78 seconds/week

Summary:

Good points:
* Beautiful with dark...
Published on June 14, 2008 by Dirk J. Willard

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay
The best that I can say for this watch is that "It's okay." Although the case diameter is 37mm, the watch face is 27-28mm - a little smaller than anticipated. That said, the watch dial is easily readable at a glance, the contrast of the hands and background markings with the face is quite good and the day/date windows are reasonably visible. The "lume"...
Published 16 months ago by Patrick

‹ Previous | 1 2 348 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, November 22, 2009
this watch is excellent, I have it for 6 months and have no complaints, and to change the days you just have to pull the knob once, then turn down, and for the dates you have to turn up, try it.
Also gives you the option of placing the day in Spanish and English.
In addition, this watch is very comfortable and resistant

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice mechanical, automatic watch. Great value for the money., May 3, 2013
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNK807 Seiko 5 Automatic Blue Canvas Strap Watch (Watch)
I have many watches but this is my first automatic.

I'd describe the dial color as "flat navy blue". I like the unique dial. The black-on-white day/date is easy to read. I like the size and feel of the watch but the band seems to me a little on the narrow side. But this is OK since I have an average/small wrist. Very easy to set time and date, so long as it isn't in transition: 10PM-3AM. I really like how the crown doesn't stick out at all. The lumibrite dots and hands are easy to read in the dark. After a few days I found that it ran about 10 seconds fast per day. Pretty good! It cannot be wound with the crown. It must be worn or manually swung back and forth a bit to get started. Its power reserve is at least 40 hours. The automatic winding mechanism can be heard sometimes, but nobody notices but me, and I think it is a pleasant sound.

Getting the band wet will allow blue color to bleed off the leather insert. So the first time you get it wet, I'd dry it off before setting my hand down on anything I wouldn't want stained. I really liked the look of the Seiko band, but not so much the way it felt. I replaced it with a Speidel black silcone band: "Speidel (Accessories) Men's 23000720 18 -mm Classic Watch Strap". Feels and looks better. I installed it short strap on the bottom because this works better for me.

See-through case-back is a nice touch. This gives me an excuse to show it to my friends, many of whom have never seen a mechanical watch.

One week update: My work is pretty physical. I wore it to work all week and beat it up pretty good -- it shows no signs of wear. I took it off over the weekend and found that it ran for about 44 hours on the nightstand.

Five month update: Apparently I was too hard on this watch at work and I damaged it somehow. I checked that the rotor wasn't loose.. But its accuracy was suddenly way off -- sometimes by -30/day. I sent it off to the Seiko service center and they repaired it & mailed it back to me in 14 days. They certainly regulated it properly, because it is extremely accurate. I've been wearing it all week and it is -+0 over a 3 day average, and at most -+2 over one day. I've been setting it down on the nightstand in different positions and it makes no difference. My faith in Seiko is restored!

Ten Month Update: Serviced watch still works great at an accuracy of about -8 sec/day.

My wrist measures 6.75 inches around and this watch is the perfect size and weight for me; one of my favorite automatic watches.

This is a "gateway" watch; if you buy it, you'll want to by another one.

-Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars great daily watch, December 13, 2009
My Seiko runs a tiny bit slow (loses about 1 minute per week, not bad at all). On a brown leather strap, I wear it to work with professional clothes. I love the dial design, and the clear caseback.

5.0 out of 5 stars First and foremost - I am astounded by thiswatch. Secondly - I don't wear "dress to impress" ..., August 24, 2014
First and foremost - I am astounded by this watch.

Secondly - I don't wear "dress to impress" watches with 4 inch dials and 24 complications I'll never have a use for. I'm generally more of a function over form kind of guy. I've got some classy looking watches, but they are still pretty simple tell the time kind of watches. In that regard this watch excels.

I bought this watch to wear while riding the ambulance as an EMT. I needed a functional watch, simple, easy to read, with a clear second hand for use when taking vitals. My prior watch was a quarts movement Casio that died for unknown reasons maybe a year after buying it. I had plenty of mechanical watches that have served me faithfully for years, but none were chronographs (too expensive). I was saving up for a low end Hamilton watch ($600) when I stumbled across this Seiko 5. $60 for an automatic movement Seiko?? that got my attention. I read the reviews, was won over, and decided to give it a shot.

Pro's
- Price - This is a hell of a nice watch for $60, it would be a hell of a nice watch for $120.
- Dial - clear, easily marked, easy to read.
- Size - As i said, I'm not trying to overcompensate with a giant frying pan sized watch. The watch could be easily viewed as "unisex" being on the smaller side for men, or larger side for women. I have small wrists, and so it suits me just fine. The watch itself is surprisingly thin for an automatic movement, which is nice for avoiding being obtrusive.
- Crown location - I LOVE the 4 oclock position of the crown. I am very active and use my hands for work and play, moving the crown from the 3 oclock to the 4 oclock is like magic on the back of my hand.
- strap "loops" - The small loops around the watch band to retain the leftover strap end and keep it from flopping around are METAL!!! this is a delightful touch on a rugged and functional watch. I often sweat through, or snag and break, all the flimsy and cheesy leather loops that are often stitched or glued. These metal bands are fantastic.
- durability - I am a dog walker and EMT, I am known for my mantra "I broke it, can I have another?" I've been wearing this watch for a week strait, I have no scratches, abrasions, snags, or damage of any kind.
- accuracy - I set this watch a week ago, And it is within seconds of where I set it (checked by looking at when my iphone kicks over. It may be Malaysian built, but its definitely still a Seiko.
- color - Just a nerd thing, but I think its really cool to have bought this to use on the ambulance, and its the same blue color as much of my gear.

Con's
- The luminous indicators for the hours are all identical. It is common in most watches to make the 12 o'clock position a different color, or shape, to make it easier to orient the watch to tell the time in the dark.
- Date indicator - I don't really see this as a "con" but I'm including it as an observation. Because the date window includes English and Spanish dates, it has an odd characteristic that most wont ever see, but anyone wearing this watch for a night shift will want to keep in mind. The numerical date ticks over right around midnight (1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc.) but the day of the week indicator lags a touch behind. If you have the watch set in English, On a sunday night, the English sunday (SUN) will tick over to the spanish sunday (DOM) around 1:15 am on monday morning. Then will tick over to the English Monday (MON) around 3 am.
- The strap - this is one place where I deviate from my function over form view. The watch band is the only thing about this watch that makes it "feel" like a $60 watch. Its a quality band, and will likely hold up to me for quite a while, but it just looks and feels cheap and cheesy. But then again its no big deal to buy a lovely steel or leather strap to install on the watch body. So I'm ok with it.

Conclusion - Thi

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtly Handsome, March 5, 2014
This is not a fancy over the top watch. It is not a gigantic piece of chrome which weighs your wrist down. What it is, is a very well made, subtle, handsome, Japanese watch. I have too many good things to say about this watch. Firstly, the strap is really nice. The blue canvas does not bother my wrist at all as some leather bands have in the past. The face is extremely easy to read. All of the numbers and marks are very clearly defined. Not only does this watch work well in the day time, but it also excels in the night time. The brushed aluminum bezel is very understated and classy. I really like the movement of this watch, and I have found it to be pretty accurate as well. I had no trouble setting and adjusting the time. This is a very understated watch. If you are seeking to be showered with compliments and praise for wearing an enormous chronograph, this is not the watch for you. This watch is more for you, in the sense that there will be many people who figure it is just a Timex and pay no attention to it. For them, it will be a loss as they are unable to appreciate the simple unfettered example of what a watch should be: accurate, comfortable, easy to read, and handsome.

5.0 out of 5 stars great self-winding watch, November 21, 2009
I've had this watch for 2+ years and wear it daily. When I first received it it would gain 3 minutes a day, but after a month or so, it settled down and now is off maybe 1 or 2 seconds a day. It looks great, is rugged, and very comfortable. Can't go wrong on this one, and you'll not be shopping for a battery every year.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent watch, September 3, 2009
This is an excellent watch. The band is of very durable, high quality webbing. The face is very easy to read. I especially like the hours being on the inside and the minutes listed on the outside of the circle. The only complaint I have is that one can't wind the watch manually. It has to be wound by wearing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great everyday knock-around automatic, November 14, 2010
I bought this watch a week ago and I have been very impressed thus far. I have worn it every day and it seems to keep perfect time. The band took a little getting used to as it is scratchy at first and a bit narrow but once you get used to the look and wear it a little it's just fine. I haven't gotten it wet and won't but i would imagine its ok to splash on it a bit. Overall it's an excellent watch to wear every day and enjoy the benefits of the automatic mechanical movement. Great everyday wear watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I expected and wanted, September 10, 2013
This is a great watch for an active person. I needed a watch that was water proof (ok, resistant) and would actually stay that way. I have ruined 3 timex watches because once the battery is changed, even by people who are certified and pressure test, my watches are never water resistant again. This watch won't need a battery change and it isn't hard at all to keep charged. Setting time, day, date, is easy.

I really love the blue face, I am not one to wear a basic boring watch and the blue gives this a nice kick. The band is a little scratchy on the outside, it doesn't slide well under sweaters with tight sleeves. I just changed the band out for a nice blue one that I got from JCrew which is easier to get on and off (I need to wash my watch bands fairly often because I wear the watch in the barn = stinky) and it complements the color of the face very nicely.

All in all it's a great watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars I orderd a second!!!, March 6, 2013
I already own the black face version of this watch and I love it so much that I'm adding the blue face and band to the watch collection. The price point makes multiple purchases of this style an easy decision. If this is your first venture into the automatic watch world, you can expect a well performing, eco friendly watch. BUT.....don't expect perfect time keeping. On average, in a months time, the watch can loose or gain as much as 10 seconds. So if this is an issue, get an atomic clock. This isn't an issue with me, especially at less than $60.00. The Seiko 5 is an attractive casual every day watch that is unobtrusive and always at the ready. Easy to read with contrasting hands and a red tipped second hand. The crown is well positioned to reduce the aggravating shirt catching tendencies that other watches are notorious for yet it is easily accessible for adjusting the date or time without being overly difficult to operate. This being my second of this style should speak for it self. It's a great time piece at a fantastic price and I'm ecstatic that Seiko offers it in so many color choices. Women have their shoes and purses, men have their watches and pocket contents. Add this watch to your collection! You won't be disappointed!

‹ Previous | 1 2 348 | Next ›