on November 22, 2009
this watch is excellent, I have it for 6 months and have no complaints, and to change the days you just have to pull the knob once, then turn down, and for the dates you have to turn up, try it.
Also gives you the option of placing the day in Spanish and English.
In addition, this watch is very comfortable and resistant
on May 4, 2013
Verified Purchase
I have many watches but this is my first automatic.

I'd describe the dial color as "flat navy blue". I like the unique dial. The black-on-white day/date is easy to read. I like the size and feel of the watch but the band seems to me a little on the narrow side. But this is OK since I have an average/small wrist. Very easy to set time and date, so long as it isn't in transition: 10PM-3AM. I really like how the crown doesn't stick out at all. The lumibrite dots and hands are easy to read in the dark. After a few days I found that it ran about 10 seconds fast per day. Pretty good! It cannot be wound with the crown. It must be worn or manually swung back and forth a bit to get started. Its power reserve is at least 40 hours. The automatic winding mechanism can be heard sometimes, but nobody notices but me, and I think it is a pleasant sound.

Getting the band wet will allow blue color to bleed off the leather insert. So the first time you get it wet, I'd dry it off before setting my hand down on anything I wouldn't want stained. I really liked the look of the Seiko band, but not so much the way it felt. I replaced it with a Speidel black silcone band: "Speidel (Accessories) Men's 23000720 18 -mm Classic Watch Strap". Feels and looks better. I installed it short strap on the bottom because this works better for me.

See-through case-back is a nice touch. This gives me an excuse to show it to my friends, many of whom have never seen a mechanical watch.

One week update: My work is pretty physical. I wore it to work all week and beat it up pretty good -- it shows no signs of wear. I took it off over the weekend and found that it ran for about 44 hours on the nightstand.

Five month update: Apparently I was too hard on this watch at work and I damaged it somehow. I checked that the rotor wasn't loose.. But its accuracy was suddenly way off -- sometimes by -30/day. I sent it off to the Seiko service center and they repaired it & mailed it back to me in 14 days. They certainly regulated it properly, because it is extremely accurate. I've been wearing it all week and it is -+0 over a 3 day average, and at most -+2 over one day. I've been setting it down on the nightstand in different positions and it makes no difference. My faith in Seiko is restored!

Ten Month Update: Serviced watch still works great at an accuracy of about -8 sec/day.

My wrist measures 6.75 inches around and this watch is the perfect size and weight for me; one of my favorite automatic watches.

This is a "gateway" watch; if you buy it, you'll want to by another one.

-Chris
on January 3, 2015
I'm loving this seiko. I never thought a 38mm watch would work for me, but now I'm understanding the love of the more classic sized men's watch. Definitely ditch the stock band ASAP; I found that a dark blue nato strap looks awesome.
review image
on December 13, 2009
My Seiko runs a tiny bit slow (loses about 1 minute per week, not bad at all). On a brown leather strap, I wear it to work with professional clothes. I love the dial design, and the clear caseback.
on August 25, 2014
Verified Purchase
First and foremost - I am astounded by this watch.

Secondly - I don't wear "dress to impress" watches with 4 inch dials and 24 complications I'll never have a use for. I'm generally more of a function over form kind of guy. I've got some classy looking watches, but they are still pretty simple tell the time kind of watches. In that regard this watch excels.

I bought this watch to wear while riding the ambulance as an EMT. I needed a functional watch, simple, easy to read, with a clear second hand for use when taking vitals. My prior watch was a quarts movement Casio that died for unknown reasons maybe a year after buying it. I had plenty of mechanical watches that have served me faithfully for years, but none were chronographs (too expensive). I was saving up for a low end Hamilton watch ($600) when I stumbled across this Seiko 5. $60 for an automatic movement Seiko?? that got my attention. I read the reviews, was won over, and decided to give it a shot.

Pro's
- Price - This is a hell of a nice watch for $60, it would be a hell of a nice watch for $120.
- Dial - clear, easily marked, easy to read.
- Size - As i said, I'm not trying to overcompensate with a giant frying pan sized watch. The watch could be easily viewed as "unisex" being on the smaller side for men, or larger side for women. I have small wrists, and so it suits me just fine. The watch itself is surprisingly thin for an automatic movement, which is nice for avoiding being obtrusive.
- Crown location - I LOVE the 4 oclock position of the crown. I am very active and use my hands for work and play, moving the crown from the 3 oclock to the 4 oclock is like magic on the back of my hand.
- strap "loops" - The small loops around the watch band to retain the leftover strap end and keep it from flopping around are METAL!!! this is a delightful touch on a rugged and functional watch. I often sweat through, or snag and break, all the flimsy and cheesy leather loops that are often stitched or glued. These metal bands are fantastic.
- durability - I am a dog walker and EMT, I am known for my mantra "I broke it, can I have another?" I've been wearing this watch for a week strait, I have no scratches, abrasions, snags, or damage of any kind.
- accuracy - I set this watch a week ago, And it is within seconds of where I set it (checked by looking at when my iphone kicks over. It may be Malaysian built, but its definitely still a Seiko.
- color - Just a nerd thing, but I think its really cool to have bought this to use on the ambulance, and its the same blue color as much of my gear.

Con's
- The luminous indicators for the hours are all identical. It is common in most watches to make the 12 o'clock position a different color, or shape, to make it easier to orient the watch to tell the time in the dark.
- Date indicator - I don't really see this as a "con" but I'm including it as an observation. Because the date window includes English and Spanish dates, it has an odd characteristic that most wont ever see, but anyone wearing this watch for a night shift will want to keep in mind. The numerical date ticks over right around midnight (1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc.) but the day of the week indicator lags a touch behind. If you have the watch set in English, On a sunday night, the English sunday (SUN) will tick over to the spanish sunday (DOM) around 1:15 am on monday morning. Then will tick over to the English Monday (MON) around 3 am.
- The strap - this is one place where I deviate from my function over form view. The watch band is the only thing about this watch that makes it "feel" like a $60 watch. Its a quality band, and will likely hold up to me for quite a while, but it just looks and feels cheap and cheesy. But then again its no big deal to buy a lovely steel or leather strap to install on the watch body. So I'm ok with it.

Conclusion - Thi
on July 6, 2013
I bought this watch about a month ago. I purchased this watch since different companies I make service calls to do not allow cell phones in certain areas so you end up losing track of time. (Its been years since I have worn a watch) So I found an old quartz watch and you guessed it it had stopped working. Tired of looking for and replacing batteries I decided to buy a Seiko Men's SNK807 Automatic.

Its a nice small size compared to some of the monster watches out there. Small enough that you can work with it on getting into some tight spots and it does not get in the way. Also since it is analog I can tell the time without the need of my glasses. I cannot tell what time it is with a digital watch without having my glasses on.

I have read reviews saying how not too worry about the accuracy the first week or two since the watch seems to have a break in period. Well that seems very true, I noticed the first week it would slow down and speed up buy 10 - 15 seconds a day.After a few weeks it was fast by about 10 seconds a day. So every week I would reset the time about a minute slow and in a weeks time it would be right on the money.

After a months time I set my watch about a minute slow again and find that it has not gained or lost more than a few seconds per day! Its been about a week and it has keep its time within 10 seconds after a whole week! Amazing for this price point in a mechanical watch!

It will be interesting to see what its like a month from now.

So far its been great.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Great watch. Just got it from my girlfriend and love it. This had been on my wishlist for a couple of months as a must since the reviews I received and the freedom you have if wanted to replace the strip with custom ones from J.Crew, etc. Great feel. Love the color!
on March 5, 2014
Verified Purchase
This is not a fancy over the top watch. It is not a gigantic piece of chrome which weighs your wrist down. What it is, is a very well made, subtle, handsome, Japanese watch. I have too many good things to say about this watch. Firstly, the strap is really nice. The blue canvas does not bother my wrist at all as some leather bands have in the past. The face is extremely easy to read. All of the numbers and marks are very clearly defined. Not only does this watch work well in the day time, but it also excels in the night time. The brushed aluminum bezel is very understated and classy. I really like the movement of this watch, and I have found it to be pretty accurate as well. I had no trouble setting and adjusting the time. This is a very understated watch. If you are seeking to be showered with compliments and praise for wearing an enormous chronograph, this is not the watch for you. This watch is more for you, in the sense that there will be many people who figure it is just a Timex and pay no attention to it. For them, it will be a loss as they are unable to appreciate the simple unfettered example of what a watch should be: accurate, comfortable, easy to read, and handsome.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 5, 2011
Verified Purchase
I did the same thing as "C. Perry" shows in his picture and replaced the cheap strap with a nicely stitched leather band and deployment clasp. Over the past three weeks the watch has remained accurate enough to agree well with the atomic clock synced clocks at work, although I haven't tracked second by second accuracy as noted in other reviews.

Some positive highlights of this watch - the sweep second hand really is pleasing compared to the "clunk-clunk-clunk" ticking of my quartz watches. I also like to occasionally take the watch off and look through the back at the mechanism. It's neat to wear a little machine on your wrist; something that we take for granted with sterile (although more accurate) quartz watches.

I usually don't wear the watch during the weekend, but haven't had any problems with it stopping. I keep it on my desk and give it a few gentle shakes while on the web. That seems to be enough to keep it running until Monday.

The blue face and brown leather strap go well with the blue oxford shirts and khaki slacks I usually wear at work. Overall, this relatively cheap watch has become my favorite to wear at work!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 11, 2011
Verified Purchase
I purchased this watch for my husband for three primary reasons:
1. It has a unique offset dial for people (my husband) who hate being stuck in the back of the hand or the wrist by bulky, cumbersome and tall dials; I'd never seen this option offered with any other watch before.
2. It is water/sweat resistant and has a canvas strap for easy drying if you do things outside (yard work or sports).
3. It's self-winding so no worries over replacing batteries; it has a very cool back side that allows you to see the gears, etc., at work.

My husband was delighted with the gift and its uniqueness in design. He has no complaints when wearing it do yard work, etc., where he's using his hands a lot. He does put it on the dog's collar (for movement) from time to time when he's not wearing it so he doesn't have to reset the time later. We actually got more than we realized in that the date and day function is in three different languages on the watch. You will discover this when you go to set them for the first time...German, French and English options. Great bargain and a cool looking watch for casual office or outdoor activities.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations