5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch!
I've now had this watch for one week and one day (as 4/14/2013). These are my thoughts and opinions.

In the Seiko box was the warranty card and a pillow for the watch to "rest" on. The watch was well-protected.

Published 20 months ago by jmernstb

1.0 out of 5 stars Really nice watch, but stopped working 4 months after purchase
Everything working ok until one day i noticed the watch was slow. Turns out it won't "hold" a wind-up. I use an automatic winder at night, and the watch still stops shortly after the winder stops.
I will attempt to send it to a Seiko Service Center (Mahwah NJ) under the warranty, since it is too late for Amazon to accept a return.
I have low expectations and...
Published 15 months ago by Preset Freq

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch!, April 14, 2013
This review is from: Seiko 5 Men's SNKL23 Stainless Steel Automatic Casual Watch (Watch)

I worried about the size of the watch (since it was unseen). I'm about 5'10, 160lbs. with an average build. The watch is a perfect size. The "bracelet" is not too dainty nor it is humongous or heavy. It is extremely comfortable and there were none of the sharp edges that I read about in other reviews. There was no grace period where the skin of my wrist rubbed as I got used to a new watch.

Removing links turned out to be slightly difficult but was eventually done with a pair of jewelry needle-nosed pliers. There was no need to push on anything on the outside edge of band (only pull) and consequently no need to scratch the bracelet and its components. The hasp opens and closes dutifully using the mechanism and I have not experienced any difficulty with closing it or keeping the hasp closed.

The picture of the watch (on Amazon) is nowhere as attractive as the watch is actually. In the image, the face seems extremely black against a gleaming silver bracelet. However, looking at the watch in person, the tone of the metal and black of the face are perfect complements.

The adjustment "knob" extends to two different lengths. The innermost extension adjusts calendar date (1,2,3,...) and day of the week (Sun, Mon, etc.) by varying the direction the post is turned (clockwise vs. counter-clockwise). The days of the week cycle through both English and Spanish (I keep mine on Spanish for fun). The second extension on the post adjusts the time as you would expect.

The motion of the second hand is more continuous as you would expect a mechanical clock to be (rather than discrete movements of a Quart movement watch). With regular wear, my watch has needed no time adjustment (Automatic Motion) and one can easily look at the internals of the watch through the crystal on the underside of the watch. People speak of losing or gaining time; I have witnessed neither circumstance nor have I invested the time to check for seconds of variance on the day.

I'm already impressed at the "crystal" on the watch. Within a week, I've typically already scratched my watch face. However, with several bumps/hits that I expected to produce scratches, the face remains smooth and clear.

I had recently had $30-$40 watches go stop working due to battery exhaustion. With no discernible differences between those and other $60 watches, my choices had been Armitrons and other watches in the same price bracket. Recent difficulties with battery replacements prompted me to look at the Automatic series of watches. So far, I have no disappointments and am thrilled with my purchase. I will recommend this watch to others.

I typically dress in business dress/business casual for my line of work and this watch has accompanied my wardrobe well. With excursions out in strictly casual clothing and events necessitating suits/ties, I've also felt that the watch worked with those ensembles. All in all, I feel that the watch is versatile, durable, and an excellent purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars First automatic watch., December 31, 2013
I spent a long, long time debating between this and other Seiko watch models. I was trying to find a watch that was versatile and could be worn with dress clothing as well as casual clothing. One of my criteria for a watch that would go with dress clothing was that all of the hands would be silver (no red second hand, etc.). I also wanted a watch that had no numbers or numerals on the dial. This was the only sub-$100 watch that fit the bill.

I was a little hesitant about the band at first - it is a style that I traditionally associate with more sporty watches (although that may just be me). Still, upon receiving the watch, I was very impressed. This watch is incredibly stylish and I have been very impressed with the automatic movement so far. This is also the first automatic watch I have had. This watch came working right out of the box (no doubt due to shipping), and has not stopped yet w/ 6-8 hours of daily wear. I have yet to do any type of run-down test to see how long the mainspring stays wound for, so I can't comment on that. Still, this is a watch that I don't mind wearing daily - it really does go with most anything and is not heavy enough to be burdensome. In the future, I may look for an automatic watch winder, but for right now, this watch will be staying on my wrist.

Also, I just wanted to note that this IS an automatic watch, so it will NEVER keep time as accurately as a quartz watch will. If you want a watch that is accurate to the second, you need to buy a quartz watch. Still, if I'm not mistaken, you can have the watch adjusted to keep time more accurately, although I haven't had any complaints after a weeks worth of wear.

I think for the price, you really can't go wrong here. I will do my best to update this review if I notice any problems with this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars World's best value in mechanical watches, January 16, 2013
The Seiko 5 --a classic; water and shock resistant, day/date, selfwinding, harder to kill than a honey badger. In mechanical watches, by far the best price/value ratio at any price point. You can't hand-wind it (gotta swirl it around a few times to put some tension in the mainspring and then wear it) or "hack" the seconds hand, but what do you want for sixty five bucks ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars very high qua,lity finish and nice SS wrist band, December 11, 2012
had it for 3 wks now, set up the time with my cellphone and it keeps the time within 1minute after 3 wks of use. Also the watch continue working if left on the drawer at night time. The automatic winding during the day is enough to keep it running for at least 10 to 12 hrs. I've used seiko watches from 1964 and even have an old automatic vintage 1974 and 1984 quartz analog ,they still runs but automatic runs a little faster now. The battery quarts still hold perfect time just need a new band the pin lock on the wrist band are worn out and need new battery. Looks like the quality of workmanship did not diminish, i just don't know if they will hold up in the long run like my old seiko. but being retired and paying $59 for this watch is a great deal.
I just have a hard time adjusting the wrist band trying to work with the arrows , try to press or push them out did not work so i just bent the middle chain to open them up and take 2 links out(their made out of stainless steel so i figure that bending them up once will not hurt or break them) hate to pay $10 just to adjust the wrist band on a $60 worth of watch.
I bought the watch directly from Amazon, so the wrist band is solid thick not flimsy like the other reviews are saying . Just be aware buying your watches from unknown vendors , i bought 3 kinetic watches and a n analog type seiko watches in the Philippines from a reputable store there but end up getting fake ones , quit working after a year. So i figure out that if the item is sold directly via Amazon that they will not jeopardize being carried by Amazon by sending fake lousy clones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch especially for the price!, December 24, 2012
The watch is a terrific value and looks and works great. The watchband is a bit lesser quality but still good considering the price!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Expeceted less, received more., October 9, 2012
I have been wearing my Seiko for about two weeks while doing heavy physical work. It keeps wonderful time and is a quality product. I worried at first that the lens was not sapphire but so far while dry walling and installing electrical wires in a wood working shop, there are no mars. With heavier watches, I have had the problem of the band's pin bending from the dexterity of the wrist but with the lighter lens, this has not been a problem. I would highly recommend this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value for an automatic watch!, August 30, 2014
This is an incredible value for an automatic watch. Seiko movements are notorious for being a great "bang for the buck." I paired this watch with a dark brown alligator skin strap for a dressy look.

The dial is actually significantly better looking in person than in the picture. The outer ring with the vertical line pattern is an awesome touch. There are no faults with the dial, everything seems to have been perfectly designed. The display back is terrific, I love looking at the moving mainspring.

The day/date is easy to set. Just make sure to read the instructions and never set the day/date at night! (something to do with them mechanism being in a vulnerable position at that time).

My complaints are fairly trivial here. The crown is a little bit annoying to turn since it sits so close to the dial. I'd also say that the power reserve isn't very high. I've had it fully wound by wearing it for days straight and then having it die on me when I didn't wear it for one day. The metal bracelet that comes with the watch feels cheap. You can also see in the Amazon picture that the bracelet leaves a gap where it connects to the watch, which also cheapens the look. Finally, it's a bit annoying to take out the pins of the bracelet, they are really wedged in there. You can find instructions for how to do it on YouTube. As I mentioned earlier, I have a leather strap on this watch so I haven't had to deal with any of the bracelet problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy. only wish they would have sent instructions on how to adjust the band., October 8, 2012
awesome deal. I only wish they would send instructions on how to adjust the band. It came about two links too big.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch for a good price. Stick to a quality brand., July 5, 2014
Bought my Seiko after a bad experience with one of those cheapo China fake watches. So far I am very happy with my Seiko, it's pretty and well made. No condensation water and no rust. Can you imagine? :-). Of course if you stick with a reputable brand like Seiko.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive Seiko watch, June 9, 2014
This is a really handsome watch that never needs batteries. The photograph does not do this timepiece justice, the face is more of a dark charcoal gray with a really nice pattern around the outer edge. I 've been wearing Seiko watches for the last 30 years and this is one of my favorites and I will be buying a few more for my sons. Very impressed and very comfortable .