Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seiko Men's SNX997 "Seiko 5" Black Dial Stainless Steel Automatic Watch
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on March 2, 2014
In general, Seiko 5 represents the best value for entry-level automatic watches. This watch is no exception: for this price point, you will not find a better looking, more reliable automatic watch with a stainless steel bracelet.

THE GOOD:
-This watch has a very classic, attractive aesthetic to it. At 38mm, the watch bucks the current trend of ginormous "fashion" watches: it is a subdued and timeless style.
- The hour indices and hands actually have decent lume, allowing you to read the watch in the dark for short periods of time.
- The movement is the well-tested, tried-and-true Seiko 7s26c workhorse movement. Barring a fluke in quality control, it will not fail you anytime soon.
- Overall, it's an automatic watch at a really cheap pricepoint. There are hundreds of gaudy, quartz fashion watches going for 2 to 4 times this price on Amazon. While I have nothing against quartz (it is very accurate after all), automatic movements are simply more interesting and have that nice sweeping second-hand!
- The day-and-date complication is always a welcome touch.

THE OKAY
- The bracelet looks nice, but it's a folded-link bracelet. In general, folded links are really low-quality, however this one actually has some decent heft to it. This style of bracelet is usually hard to change yourself, but thankfully this one is a bit different than most: it still has pins you just have to push out. Be careful re-inserting them -- they're so tiny that you may not notice that there is actually a correct orientation to them that you have to follow when re-inserting.
- To me, this style of day-and-date is a little less formal than the overall design of the watch. I would've actually preferred a more subtle look without the day.

THE BAD
- The clasp has 5 quick adjustment pins, but you have to be really careful. You can adjust it from both ends of the watch. If you adjust it from the bottom end, the bracelet will be difficult to close shut and the clasp WILL scratch the hell out of one of the links. The clasp is also kind of small and looks cheap to me.

OVERALL
If you want a classically style stainless steel auto at a great price, get this watch! It's not going to have the same build quality as Seiko's automatics outside the "5" line, but those watches are often 3 or 4 times the price of this one. You have to remember what the Seiko 5 line is meant to be and what price you're paying.
on March 1, 2014
Considering how inexpensive this watch is, it's a helluva deal. The bracelet is awful and hard to adjust. I would have removed it and replaced it with another but noticed the watch I received from Amazon *appeared* to be a return. There was a scratch on the crystal and protective film was missing.

Also seemed to have some date adjustment issues. The watch case itself seems fine and would make a decent auto watch for many people.

Mine will have to go back because of its condition. I considered getting a replacement but they were out of them according to Amazon returns although I see it here!
on March 17, 2014
The steel bracelet is fine. The face clear - easy to read.
The autowinder appears to work fine -- but the spring only runs the watch for about 36-hours -- so if you do not wear it at least every other day, it runs down, loses time -- requiring manual setting of the day/date.
on March 6, 2014
First off I love the look and feel of the watch. It feels about the right weight and looks classic. I also like the see-through backing. The band adjustment works as expected and the clasp feels sturdy and like it will not just pop open on it's own. Having not wore a watch for about 6 years I thought it would take some getting used to but I hardly know it's on my wrist.

My only knock on the watch so far is how it doesn't keep time that well. I got it last Thursday and by the following Wednesday it gained about 3 minutes. So I guess I'll be adjusting it each week. But, on the up side there's no battery to change. The time keeping is what caused a 3 start as opposed to 4 or 5.
on March 10, 2014
Everything about Seiko is good. I bought an inexpensive Seiko watch in Vietnam in 1966, which I passed on to my son. I bought a 27 jewel Seiko automatic in Thailand in 1969, which I retired last year (2013). This new Seiko is what I expected--an accurate, good-looking watch. I had to take out 3 links for the band to fit my small writst, but it was simple, using the end of a paper clip, and needle-nosed pliers to grip the paper clip.

This is an exceptional value.
on March 21, 2015
Beautiful watch, but with no instructions provided, getting everything set correctly has been a difficult task...the person I bought the watch for has no and doesn't use the internet, so I had to try to find instructions and relay them. Not very fun
on March 13, 2014
Picked this up when it was offered as a Lightning Deal about two weeks ago. It seemed well packaged in it's shipping materials but upon unpacking it the 5 o'clock position marker had fallen off and watch loose inside the watch face. Amazon would not exchange it for another at the same price so I returned it for a refund.
on June 22, 2015
Great automatic watch! polished and really great to wear. Classy with a suit, or sporty with an informal outfit. The dial is minimal and clear black with a very good lumen. Keeps time in a very precise way, does not lose a minute over its 48hrs power reserve. Looks much better in person than in the pictures! higly recommended. Great seller, too!
on May 25, 2016
I was in a local shop today getting a watch bracelet adjusted and saw this Seiko in the showcase. It aroused my curiosity. It really is a great looking watch. At this shop, it was $90, I doubt any tax. I passed. But I held it next to a Rolex, an older 36mm sized Explorer, and I must say the resemblance was striking. The shape, the taper of the lugs, the size, the look in black...

Strikes me as a very fine value. In appearance, it looked about as good as the Rolex. We know it is not a Rolex, but The Seiko name is respectable, and with a metal bracelet for this kind of a cheap price seems like you get alot for your money.
on January 14, 2015
See updates below original review:

I bought this watch after coming across the Seiko 5 range when looking for a watch that did not need battery changes. I chose this model as it has a classic look with the black face and the crown + day/date at the 3 o'clock position. To me it looks very much like the watches Seiko were making in the 70's. I have found this watch goes quite well with anything from casual to formal attire. I like the clasp on the bracelet. It is the classic style which I find does not come undone anywhere near as often as the more modern "push the buttons to open" style. I find a few hours wear each day is sufficient to keep it running. When I first got it it ran about 5 seconds / day fast, but then changed to running very slow (even when resting overnight in the crown up position, which for my watch gains the most time). After a few months it was losing about 20 seconds / day. After regulation it now keeps good time, a few seconds either way each day. By leaving it crown up overnight ( to gain time) or dial up (to lose time) I can keep it very close to correct without any adjustment. In the 6 months since regulation, I have not had to reset the time, and it is still close to exact time.

UPDATE July 2014
Reduced rating to 2 stars. A few weeks after writing the above review the watch started to lose time, as much as 30 seconds per day. I had it regulated again and it kept accurate time for a month or so, although it was much more variable than before. To clarify originally the time was fast/slow within a few seconds per day, after this second regulation it would be fast/slow by as much as 10 seconds per day. Unfortunately the cost of having the problem fully investigated is much more than the cost of the watch. I have now retired this watch.