Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Ty Dolla Sign egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on HTL

on July 14, 2012
First of all, the watch you receive will be slightly different than the pictured Seiko. The only differences are: The crown in not recessed or flush with the case, but slightly elevated, and the hands and hour markers have a black paint over parts of them. You can only tell these differences after close inspection, but otherwise you will get the watch in the picture. I made sure that I received a genuine Seiko, and you can check yours by registering it on the SeikoUSA website. The timepiece also has slightly darker gold colors, and it looks a lot nicer than the picture. As this watch has many Rolex-similar design queues, such as the Jubilee bracelet, fluted bezel, and similar hour markers, it looks like a Rolex Date from a distance.
Remember that this is an Automatic Seiko, and the watch is powered by a self-winding mechanism. You CANNOT wind this watch manually by pulling out and twisting the crown. You can only manually wind it by moving the watch in a spinning motion. If the watch sits idly for about 24 hours, it will stop and you have to spin it to re-wind the mechanism. The movement pulsates at 6 ticks per second, so the second hand moves 6 times every second. So far, the Seiko 5 movement seems to be keeping time very well, and I leave it on a watch winder to keep it wound. You can see the automatic movement through the glass case-back of the watch, and as it has an automatic movement, this timepiece is slightly thicker than dress quartz Seikos.
The "gold-tone" color of this watch looks very close to the real thing, and the champagne-gold color dial complements the rest of the gold color on the watch.
The day-date feature of this watch also works very well, and it changes every day between 12:00 midnight and 12:20. The watch includes both English and Spanish language for the days of the week.

Overall, I am pleasantly surprised with this automatic Seiko. For under $100, it's a lot of watch for the money, and being a Seiko, should last a long time with proper care. I would definitely recommend this timepiece to anyone who wants a watch that looks like a two-tone Rolex. This watch is very comfortable, perfect weight, looks fantastic, and overall, It's a Seiko.
review image review image review image review image
on July 10, 2012
This is a watch from the Seiko 5 line. The number five in the brand name stands for the five essential features of the watch, namely shock resistant, water resistant, automatic, and day and date display.

The back of watch has a see through case cover which allows you to see the movement in action. The movement is stamped "MALAYSIA", "TWENTY-ONE JEWELS", SEIKO TIME CORP 7S26C". Nazi war criminal and SS officer Josef Mengele wore a Seiko Automatic 21 Jewels watch in South America held by the archives of the federal police in Brazil and it is still working to this day. (seen in National Geographic Mengele Twin Mystery)

With the exception of titanium watches, my higher priced watches all seem to have a bit of heft. This watch is very light. You can not loop this onto your fist to use as a set of brass knuckles.

The face, crown, bezel, and bracelet features a yellow color metal meant to simulate the appearance of gold. You do not get real gold at this price point. The hands and hour markers are constructed with betalights for self powered illumination. The watch band is a folded link bracelet without pins.

What you get here is a timepiece meant to compete at a lower price point in the market. This is not a Seiko worn by James Bond and made in Japan. This is, however, one of the better watches that you can acquire on a budget range of less than $100. In addition, your watch will come with a case number and serial number that you can register with Seiko, and you do get the benefit of a Seiko warranty.

Want a better watch? Spend more money. At this price, do not expect a family heirloom. But don't be surprised at just how good of a watch $50 will buy.
on June 10, 2014
I was in the market for a Rolex Datejust, and decided to buy one of these to see how I liked the style. Turns out I liked it a lot and decided to buy 2 others (SNXJ90, SNXJ89) and decided that those fulfilled my need for the Datejust styling and put my money towards a different watch I had my eye on.

Other things I'd like to add:

- The movement on all Seiko 5's are bulletproof and are built for the everyday guy to wear a mechanical watch and not worry about breaking it.
- The movement isn't the most accurate and the specs are kind of weak, but I've owned 5 Seiko 5's and they ranged from -10/+20 secs a day which is pretty decent for most people and good at this price range.
- There is no hacking feature (meaning when you pull the crown, the second hand doesn't stop) and its harder to synchronize, but it isn't too annoying.
- The bracelet isn't the most comfortable but it is serviceable and very durable. I'm a tough critic of watch bracelets and I'd give this one a C+ overall - B for durability and C for comfort.
- The gold plating has held up fairly well. In the last several months, there has been no fading, scratching, peeling, etc which is rare for gold plated watches in this range.

Overall, I'd recommend this watch with no reservation. Its rare you can get a well built mechanical watch that looks good and has a half decent bracelet.
on March 11, 2014
Not only does this watch look beautiful and expensive, it fulfills EVERY feature I was looking for to replace my old battery-powered "everyday" watch. 1) NO MORE BATTERIES! NO MORE WINDING! 2) Day AND date display! .. Many watches only have the date. 3) Has a second hand. 4) Luminous hands in the dark. 5) Keeps perfect time! 6) Both stainless steel colors look just great! 7) The bezel looks just like my Rolex. 8) Days can be set to display in Spanish. And finally .. I like this watch so much, I also purchased the exact same Seiko model with the "white" face (model SNXJ90)! Can't go wrong with this excellent value!

TECH NOTE: Although the "date" will change at 12am, it takes up to 4.5 hours (midnight to 4:30am), for the "day" to fully change to the next day, and in english. The day first appears in spanish (for 90 minutes or so), then changes to english for the rest of the day, until midnight. I called Seiko USA customer service and the factory - they said that is exactly how the movement functions. It even says in the instruction booklet not to try to adjust the day/date from 9:00pm to 4:00am, without following a special sequence.
on November 3, 2015
I have been wearing this watch for 9 or 10 years. I do yard work, auto repair work and even swim in the local pool or the ocean. I have never had a problem with it. It is not the most accurate watch but close enough. It will slow down if you aren't doing enough activity, so if the watch starts slowing down it is time to get your butt off the couch and do some physical activity. Mine has started to get beat up but I will purchase another Seiko automatic watch, maybe in another couple of years.
on January 20, 2013
UPDATE #3: I threw it away after a little more than a year. It's 11:08 am and it showed 4:00 am. I returned an earlier one which didn't work, this replacement didn't work either.
UPDATE #2: I've owned the watch for almost a year. It has stopped four times in the past two months, while on my wrist. It is a long step down from the Seiko automatic I bought about twenty years ago, which lasted about 19 years. Why they couldn't just keep manufacturing that one is a big puzzle.
on July 18, 2012
I bought this watch thinking it wasn't going to look too good for $40, but after I got it I saw that it had a nice finish, and the watch does not look cheap at all, the automatic movement is also very precise, have only lost 1 second in a week
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2014
The add on amazon said the watch dia. was 31.4m, It's really 35m but I can live with that. The watch lives up to the Seiko name, It's a very good looking watch. So far it's keeping time right to the second. If your looking for a good watch, I would suggest you look at this one.
on April 5, 2013
My husband was delighted with this watch. It does the job on all fronts and looks great - comfort, excellent time keeping, can wear at the office and anywhere, keeps the date, etc. Great product!
on October 15, 2014
Very pretty watch. However, the "standard" size band was too small. I attempted to find some links to expand the band, but decided it was too much trouble. I decided to return the watch.