4.0 out of 5 stars My first automatic (Malaysian)
I bought mine on Feb 8, 2012, sold by A2ZWatches, fulfilled by Amazon. I did a ton of research into Seiko 5s, and specifically this watch. I liked the SNK809, but the size seemed small, so I went with the SNZG15. On my 7.5" wrist, next to my awfully large paws, this watch appears just about right; stylishly on the large size, but not by any means massive.

If...
Published on February 10, 2012 by Crabbycrab

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a beautiful watch, but....
Overall it is a well crafted watch. The dial is clean and easy to read. But it seems to run out of juice at times. I had to intentionally swing around my watch arm to rewind it. I expect it to kkeep running for weeks under normal use. The black strap that came with the watch is very stiff to strap on initially.
Published 19 months ago by Seiji Inatsugu

4.0 out of 5 stars My first automatic (Malaysian), February 10, 2012

If you look closely at the picture in the Amazon listing as I did, between the 8 and 7, and between the 7 and the 6, there is white text that should read "MADE IN" and "JAPAN" respectively. The watch I received does not have this. Between the 7 and the 6 it reads "7S36-" (the caliber) because it is not made in Japan, but rather Malaysia. It's also labeled as such on the Hardlex backing. This was a little disappointing to me, and I almost returned it. But ultimately decided it wasn't worth the hassle. I like the watch, and am fully satisfied with it's authenticity and quality.

It arrived in the expected blue Seiko box (with white protective cardboard sleeve), mounted on the white Seiko pillow, with retail string tag attached, along with the Seiko ZSxx instructions, registration card, and warranty/instructions booklet with "certificate of limited warranty," which was not "filled out by the Seiko authorized dealer."

I wound the watch according to the instructions at about 15:00 local time, and set the time (about -3 seconds to the atomic clock). Before bed at about 23:00 local, I removed the watch and I noted it had held at about -3 seconds to the atomic clock. The next morning at about 9:00 local, I observed that the watch was about +15 seconds to the atomic clock (a net gain of 18 seconds). After wearing the watch all day, I'm now observing about +16 seconds to the atomic clock (a net gain of 1 second throughout the day). I'll be keeping track of it against the atomic clock, and may report back. So far, this is very much within my needed time keeping tolerances, and for an automatic, I'm satisfied.

The Lumibrite hands charge up quickly, and dissipate at a rate on par with most glow-in-the-dark items I've seen. It's nothing special, but it's also not radioactive like tritium, which is a plus to me.

The strap is comfortable but austere. There's vinyl reinforcing the strap holes. But I didn't, and don't think you're about to, buy this watch for it's band. I've got 2 other straps, a Bond Zulu and a stitched composite band (black with with red stitching) on their way, which I suspect will really make this time piece pop on my wrist.

PROS:
Looks fantastic
Genuine Seiko
Size great (for bigger mitts like mine)
Great price for an automatic with some provenance
Fantastic "my-first-automatic"

CONS:
Wish it had been made in Japan as pictured

Update:
A month and a half later, I would like to add a few things that I thought you the reader might find helpful. The time keeping has been very good; very close to what I've reported above. It's a weekend watch for me, and after a 2 day weekend of wearing it roughly 16 hours per day, the automatic movement will run about a day and a half. Lastly, the Amazon listing when I purchased it (and at the time of this update) states the band width to be 20mm, but this is not true. It's 22mm. The bands I bought looked a little small, and my calipers confirmed it; bandwidth is 22mm. Fantastic watch overall. I would buy again, and would recommend to a friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars A sober but nonetheless stylish and practical automatic seiko, August 18, 2012
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNZG15 Seiko 5 Automatic Black Dial Nylon Strap Watch (Watch)
Bought this seiko G15 after having tried it in a shop somewhere in San Francisco Chinatown. Decided to buy it on amazon because it was much much cheaper. Unfortunately, amazon`s description of the watch is pretty useless (at the time of purchase it didnt even mention it was an automatic, and even mentionned that the seiko had a battery!!!). Since then, it has been corrected...)
Long story short, i'll try to describe the watch better here:

The watch has an automatic seiko movement (SNZG15 uses the 23 jewel seiko 7S36 movement) and the watch is 42mm in diameter (but it feels like a big 40mm or a small 42mm seeing the flieger/military type dial is well designed). It's lug size is 22mm, giving it a hefty look and feel, but rest assured, having relatively average/small wrists, it sits well on the wrist and doesnt look too big at all. It's water resistant to 100 meters. That means you should be able to swim with it, but I would not recommend diving with it (go check out the real diving seikos that are WR to 200 should your goal be diving). I knocked off a star in the rating because the watch does not have a screw in crown. I know its not advertised as a real divers, but a screw in crown would've allowed more security while swimming with it. However, 100m should be enough anyways for most people's usage).

The dial has the 12 hour markings on the outside, while european 24 hours type (13 to 24) are right under them, giving it more of a military/flieger look and use. The glass is hardlex crystal (harder to scratch).

The cloth strap feels a little tougher than a regular nato. It will however be necessary to replace it after a year or so seing the amount of wear it has taken in 2 months of regular wearing.

The lume is really bright, but i'm not sure the second hand has any, or it is very thinly applied.
The day and date are present, which is a big plus. It is not instadate, so the day and date turn slowly around midnight to change. The day of the week is both in english and spanish, but once you set it, it will only display the language you chose, so the other language will only turn around midnight and you will only see it then)

If you were hesitating between the SNZG15 and the SNK809, please note that these are two similar watches while you compare them online and with pictures, but they are actually very different when trying them on (809 is very light, much smaller, different WR rating as it is 30m).

Overall, I am really satisfied with my purchase. For connaisseurs, or people who love to buy japanese seikos, you should already know that the SNZG15 on sale on amazon is NOT from Japan, but is made in Malaysia, as is the movement as the reference number should tell you, J for japan, K basically being not japan). Even if I wouldve prefered the japanese model, it comes at a much higher price. I am really delighted with the build quality of the malaysian watch, and the movement only gains 1 or 2 seconds max per day. Not too sure about the warranty though, but the watch came with a nice seiko box and all the paperwork).

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch Reveiw, May 30, 2012
This watch was purchased to primarily wear on the weekend but I find myself wearing it to work a few days a week. The main selling points for me were its classic face design, automatic movement, brand (of course I could find a Rolex I like, but I work for a living), and reviewer comments from people who sounded like they know what they are talking about. I would say I am a watch guy, but not quite as into watches as other people so go read those reviews for the technical stuff. It is a good looking watch from a reliable company and best of all it is an automatic which means it has a cool sweeping hand that glows in the dark too!

Other reviewers have commented that their watches are made in Malaysia, my watch does have "Made in Japan" between the 8, 7, 6 numbers on the face and on the back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upside Surprise, February 16, 2012
Was really very pleasently surprised when I received my new watch. The photo on Amazon really doesn't do this watch justice. The watch has some heft to it and feels fairly substantial on my wrist. The simple black face is beautiful and its very easy to spot the time even with a quick glance at your wrist. Was a little suspect of the "hardilex" face going into the purchase - its definitely not sapphire but it isn't a cheap plastic either as one would find on lower end watches. My only complaint (hardly one given the inexpensive price) is the relatively poor quality of the canvas band. A problem easily fixed at any local mall. Went into this purchase looking for an everyday "beater" watch. Ended up with that and a bit more at a very reasonable price point. Good job Seiko.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a beautiful watch, but...., May 9, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent daily wear watch, November 14, 2012
chunky (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
I've wanted an automatic watch for daily wear for some time now. I wanted one that was reasonably accurate so I don't have to re-set it all the time. However the general rule has been that cheap ones are never accurate and accurate ones are never cheap. This watch seems to be an exception. It's self winding, which is a plus and is plenty accurate for my needs.

It's a classic looking watch. Nothing flashy or gimmicky which I prefer. It's great for daily wear with the super comfortable nylon strap. The size of the watch is about perfect on my wrist which measures 7.25". I use the 6th out of 10 holes on the strap. The hands & hour markers glow in the dark. The glow is quite strong if you were in sunlight all day. If you hold it near your ear, you can hear the watch ticking. I have a Malaysian movement watch.

This watch is a great value. It keeps time as well as an ordinary quartz watch, but never needs batteries or even winding, just wear it. It's stylish and comfortable enough for daily wear. Definitely keeps time better than automatic watches from designer brands that cost up to 3x as more. I never understood why people buy watches made by companies that specialize in designing clothing. Buy a watch from a proper watch maker, not a generic manufacturer white labeled watch!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, High Value Watch, Highly Recommended, May 21, 2014
I have had this watch for just over a month now and I love it. I bought this watch just over a month ago after I got another seiko 5 watch (model #SNK809). I did this because when I first bought the watch (SNK809) I bought it off amazon and when I received it. It was just too small. I freaked out and returned it the next day. I looked at this watch before and bought it on the spot. A couple days later I got it in the mail. I was and still am so happy I got this watch instead.

Pros:
There are many things that I really like about this watch. First of all it looks good. Its fairly clean and simple. There is a lot of numbers and letters that may make it seem a little busy but its still not bad at all. Overall fit and finish is very good, I do not have any complaints. The Hardlex Crystal is also very good no scratches yet to report, just a very small, microscopic chip. I believe Hardlex is harder than mineral, which is very good because I have some beat up mineral crystals. I wish however, the crystal sat lower than the bezel to help protect it some, but it doesn't. But with the abuse I put on it, it has been holding up spectacularly well. Accuracy is also very good. As my first Auto I was not sure what to expect. I did not officially track the accuracy but I'm fairly confident its about +/- 1 minute per week. Again no complaints here (I however, do not understand most people's obsession with accuracy as long as it keeps the time within a couple minutes). Also the Lume is very very good. It is the best I ever seen and with this being under $200 its quite impressive. WR is good I haven't swam with it, but I plan to, however, I wear it showering on occasion and no fogging or water leaks.
The size is also perfect, not too big or small. much better than the SNK809.

Cons:
Now there is one particular problem I have with this watch (also the SNK809), and that is the canvas strap. I knew from when I bought it I would not like it very much. So I ordered this watch with a NATO strap. Now when it arrived the strap was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. But it still seemed cheap and of alright quality. So I took it off ( NOTE: A spring bar tool is highly recommended if you choose this route, I ended up cutting up my fingers trying to use a knife to get the spring bars off) and threw it back in the box. I threw the nato strap on it and I was very content with my purchase.

There are a few other very minor things that I also do not like about this watch. For instance the lume, however good it may be it has a slight green/off-white tint that does not help the appearance of this watch and the lime doesn't completely cover the dashes on the sides. Also the movement is great that there is a see-through case-back but the movement is not pretty at all, in fact it is kind of ugly. But for a sub $200 watch that's not really expected.

Overall:
Overall this is a great watch most of the stuff is just me knit-picking and does not really detract for this watch. I truly do love this watch and wear it religiously. The militaristic/pilot look works very well in different environments and goes with about everything besides like a suit. The only thing I would recommend would be to buy it with a NATO strap because they are cheap, cool looking, and easy to change out. Plus you would still have the original strap.
And always remember the value aspect. For being an auto with a nice crystal, a day/date function, great lume, good WR, and generally an attractive, everyday use watch that is under $200 thats a pretty good value.
However, if you want to go smaller with the SNK809 that is even a better value, and in my opinion the face of the SNK809 is even more attractive. I personally didn't want to have buyers remorse from the size of it which was just too small for me.

Hope this helps, I try to give anyone reading this as much info as possible to make a wise decision on their purchase.So it may be long but I don't want to leave anything out. Good luck!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful/Practical Timepiece, August 21, 2012
After many years of owning various plastic watches (both inexpensive and decidedly not inexpensive) I'm very impressed with my latest time piece. I'm no watch aficionado but read positive reviews for this and am very happy having received it. The other people I've showed it to (also not watch geeks) have been very impressed.

My nylon band had none of the manufacturing imperfections I saw elsewhere. It's proving comfortable and stylish given my practical outdoor-ish tastes. Also, the nylon (not the stainless buckle) is what contacts my laptop palm rest.

The face is gorgeous, much more precise and clean than the watches I'm used to, even from a distance. I love the incremental ticks of the second hand. (Somebody else said there were six per second?)

It's very clean/clear and easy to read from a distance, faster than my previous digital and MUCH faster than digging my phone out of my pocket.

The size looks great on my small-side-of-average-for-a-six-foot-guy wrists, rugged and assertive yet not obnoxiously large as seems to be the current trend. Also thin enough to not get caught on clothing/jackets, or to clunk against doorways/etc when I walk by. (A problem I had with my thick altimeter-barometer-compass watch)

Having worn it for a week I've had no problems keeping it wound, given that I wear my watches whenever I'm not in bed or in the shower.

I like being able to see the action through the clear back, which looks great when sitting on the nightstand.

I can hear/feel the weight moving in the watch when I pay attention, but after a day or so I've stopped noticing during use.

My only (significant?) con so far is that the watch accumulates a minimum of 17 seconds per day, even if leave it on its side at night as suggested elsewhere. (Unless I'm doing this wrong?) My current hope is that after a longer break-in period I'm able to add/lose seconds at night depending on placement as I read I should be able to, given that I can't stop the second hand. In the meantime I'm letting it run down for a day and then resetting it.

A minor con is that the minute hand doesn't precisely align with the minute ticks on the face when the second hand is at the 12 o'clock position. I wouldn't have noticed this (or cared) were I not trying to track the gain/loss of seconds per day.

While a very personal value judgement, know that from a non-watch-geek person who does appreciate detail and good design (for example, the leather Book Book case for the MacBook Air) this watch was a great "value", ie for me it has a high price/performance ratio.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine timepiece, December 23, 2012
This Seiko has quickly become my favorite of my collection, it's a fine piece if you're looking for your first automatic or a fine everyday wear watch.

This is my first automatic so I can't compare it to other autos, but in my experience this piece is fairly accurate (I didn't do any synthetic test though) and will last about a day without being worn.

Pros:
face design
easily read chapter ring
the signature Seiko smooth sweep second hand
superb build quality and fit/finish
luminosity recharges quickly & lasts slightly above what I consider average
relatively quite rotor movement (you must be in a very quite room to hear the weight spin)

Cons:
lens isn't as hard as Seiko claims (it scratched in the first week, my Citizen's have fair much better)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice!, May 17, 2012
Received two days ago. Very nice looking sports watch. The case measures 42mm and band is 22mm. Band appears heavy enough that it may last a while as it has a sewn in vinyl insert for buckle pin. Appearance looks very sporty with easy to read dial, sub scale has 24 hr markings.

Has a red pointer on second hand. loses about 20 seconds a day so far, case is bead blasted satin finish which looks good with black face with white markers and black nylon band.

23 jewel movement is marked Malaysia, which I presume is a Seiko manufacturing facility, so I am guessing that the watch was also assembled and shipped from there?

Date and day are a little difficult to read without reading glasses but are legible in outdoor light.

Movement doesn't Hack, so you can't stop second hand where you want to,

Slept with watch to test lume, it was still very bright with lights out at 5:30am when I woke.

Overall very satisfied so far, a good value at this price point and this may become my favorite weekend sports watch plus when not being used it is not working and draining the battery like a quartz watch.