Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 7, 2012
I have had this watch for about a month now and I grow to like it more each day. I had heard about the legendary "orange monster" in its first version and occasional problems it suffered, despite largely enthusiastic reviews. Complaints stemmed from the limitations of the movement which was too basic and tended to stop when unworn. The first generation had a non-hacking, strictly self-winding movement and a somewhat cluttered dial which, though cool, seemed to imitate the Doxa brand. This second generation, which was released this year costs about the same and is a hacking, auto and crown winding movement in a fetching design. When I bought it last month I immediately replaced the band with a g10 nato all black band because I wasn't in love with the urethane band it came with. Next, I took it into water with me whenever possible and made sure it was on my wrist during vigorous activity. So far, it looses maybe 3 seconds a day but stays water tight and still looks fresh and new. It is a real carefree watch. I couldn't expect much better from the price and hope that it continues to perform in the same manner for years to come.
88 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2014
Frankly, there's a reason electronic watches are so popular, they're very accurate and quite inexpensive in comparison to a mechanical watch of equal quality. For all practical purposes the electronic watch is probably the way to go. Unfortunately due to a "magnetic personality" I'm unable to wear electronic watches -- after a couple of months they just die, including several quite expensive Big Name watches. Thus, I've been forced to use automatic self-winding mechanical watches all my now-long life and these by Seiko are Great!

I own two of these new Seiko SRP-series watches with stem-windable and hackable automatic 4R36A movements -- an SRP315 "Classic" Divers Watch and an SRP275 NATO green military -- as well as several of their older SNK-series military watches and SKX-series dive watches with 7S26 automatic movements. These watches just keep getting better and better.

For the price the SNK-series military-style watches can't be beat and I love the SKX-series "Monster" dive watches, but their 7S26 movements lack the stem-winding and hacking features of the new SRP-series 4R36 movement. This isn't a big deal, I just give my7S26-movement watches '60 shakes' to get them going and then another '60 shakes' each day if I don't wear them 24/7, and by applying a bit of pack-pressure on the stem the movement can be forced to stop, making them quasi-hackable.

My earliest 7S26A Black Monster wasn't the best time-keeper, losing around 15-20 seconds a day, but my 7S26B Orange Monster and 7S26B and 7S26C SNK-series military watches have kept time consistently plus or minus about 5 seconds a day. Both my SRP-series watches keep time plus or minus 5 seconds a day as well. Dismal accuracy compared to a quartz movement, but pretty darn good for a mechanical watch.

The big advantage, if it is an advantage, to the new 4R36 movement is their ability to stem-wind and hack. I like being able to wind the watch with a few quick twists of the stem, but then I don't like wearing a watch while I work at the computer, so my watches spend a good deal of time sitting on the desk while I work. For someone who wears their automatic self-winding watch 24/7 stem-winding is less of an advantage. Likewise, it amuses me to set my watch against an atomic clock and know it's dead on, so I like the hacking feature, but if really accurate time-keeping is needed the clock on your smartphone or a stopwatch app is probably the way to go.

Bottom line, for an affordable and rugged self-winding mechanical watch the new Seiko SRP-series watches are the best yet. I love mine and I'm sure if you try one you won't be disappointed.
on March 10, 2016
So I have a bunch of Seiko dive watches. Typically great quality and great form. I own an old SKX007, SKX009 (Pepsi), SBBN017 (Tuna) and now the SRP315 (Monster). Of all the watches I own Ive had to replace the standard Seiko rubber dive strap because they are generally too stiff and feel like plastic. They can be quite uncomfortable! Not so on this model! The rubber is so soft and comfy I hardly would know I'm wearing the watch if it weren't for the amazing weight of this watch. The orange colored face with black bezel is flashy and understated. This watch gets more wrist time than my fancy Seiko Tuna. Really happy with this watch! I highly recommend ordering a Seiko (or anything really) that is offered directly by Amazon. I ordered a Seiko SRP309 from Singapore and it arrived clearly used and now I need to send it back. Buy from Amazon and get this watch.
review image review image
on February 16, 2013
This is my third Seiko dive watch in fifteen years, the other two being an SKX007 and an Orange Monster (first generation). I have been and continue to be impressed with their durability and value; the first two averaged over seven years of service before losing lubrication. Rather than pay $150 to properly clean, oil, and adjust $150 watches, I simply replaced them. Since this new, second generation Monster is a bit more expensive, I may go the maintenance route on it, when the time comes.

As did its predecessors, this watch looks great, keeps accurate time (for a mechanical watch), and feels solid and rugged. I've not had it diving, yet, but I'm sure my 100 foot dives will not tax its 200M rating. After a week of ownership, it is gaining 5.5 seconds per day. Since it is hackable, it will be easy to synchronize, useful for military-types who have time-on-target or other precision timing needs.

I replaced the included rubber strap with a NATO Zulu band and am pleased with the look and fit. I have small wrists, so the stock strap was a little too chunky for me.

Assuming this watch performs like its predecessors, I can't recommend it highly enough. A great watch, and an especially great value.
44 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2015
Quality timepiece that looks stunning in person. Took a minute to adapt to the 'rattle' sound of the 4R36 movement. You won't notice gaining or losing any time. Love the hacking and winding. My second seiko, but my new first love. Seiko rubber strap is a bit long, but actually serves a diving function. I shower and sleep in this watch and no signs of water damage.
on June 19, 2014
I purchased this for two reasons - I wanted an automatic watch with which I could swim and snorkel in the ocean with no concerns, and one that I could wear at work and casually - I sometimes end up in situations that could damage a mechanical watch. I have a Swiss automatic that I really love, but I balk at swimming with it (it is not a dive watch) or wearing it at work it because it cost me a lot of money. I now prefer mechanical watches, especially automatics.

I did a lot of research on Seiko movements. This watch has the newest Seiko automatic movement with improved shock resistance and incorporating hand-winding and hacking. The second hand sweeps smoothly, almost as smoothly as on my Swiss movement. It is a great value in this regard. The whole watch feels solid and of high quality. I find the size ideal. All facets are easy to read, including the day/date. Luminosity is very strong and the luminous areas are quite large. I recently took it off for several days - it ran for almost 2 days on reserve power.

All in all I feel this was a great purchase. I also like this watch because I travel to the Caribbean quite a bit, and although this watch appears to be more expensive than it is I don't feel as if I am telegraphing conspicuous wealth to locals, but at the same time I don't feel personally as if I am wearing a cheap-o watch. Having something of quality and substance on my wrist has a lot to do with wearing a watch for me. It is a perfect balance, perhaps, for me at least.
on July 14, 2015
I been wanting a good first automatic and after careful consideration and hours reading on WUS to learn about what I wanted I ended up purchasing this Seiko 2nd gen monster. The 4R36 movement hacks and handwinds which is great for setting time and using your watch after not having worn it in a while.

I have worn for almost a week and its averaging at +5 sec for the 7 days, with the dial facing up. The second hands is not as smooth as miyota 9015 in my opinion and if you listen really closely you can hear the ticks (but I mean you really need to put your ear up to the watch).

The strap was fine for my wrist which is about 6.75" or so depending on weather. I bought replacement nato straps that helps give it better seat on my wrist. The bezel and chapter ring are all aligned on my watch. The lume works well enough from gathering light during the day and then going into the darkness. For what I do its fine. WR is 200m which is great. However it just does desk diving and at worse is washing my car with me.

I recommend this as an entry level watch for people on the fence. Some cons people make not like is the day/date complication, the sharktooth markers, and medicore strap. I purchased it on sale from Amazon for less than a $100 USD.
on October 27, 2015
Extremely happy with this watch. Works as it should and is extremely durable! I wear it everyday! Mine gains 10 seconds a day which is okay with me! Easy to adjust if I ever wanted to try and make it more accurate! If your watch gains to many seconds a jeweler can fix it pretty easily. This watch is defiantly worth the buy!! I have the SS watch band, NATO strap and the rubber one. The rubber band is my favorite for this watch. Be aware, the metal band that you can get for this watch does make it quite heavy, but it looks great and is of great quality!. Still worth the buy! It looks 50 times better in real life rather than in the pictures! Would totally buy another Seiko monster! You need this watch! It's a work of art!
review image review image review image review image
on September 26, 2014
Love this watch. One of my favorites in my collection. I won't go into a lot of detail as that's already been covered in other reviews, but here's what I like about it:

- Perfect size case-wise
- Incredibly bright lume that lasts
- Shows date of month AND day of week
- Comfortable, extra long strap to go around wetsuit (as all "diver" watches should, but don't)
- Brushed metal with polished insets
- Textured crown at 4 o'clock position so it doesn't dig into your hand
- Orange dial really pops
- Wide lume hands make is very easy to read

This is a quality piece. Highly recommended.
on July 13, 2015
First of all, it is a beautiful watch with a bit of flair from it's vibrant color. I really like the watch. However, the particular watch i received was defective. There is a piece of debris stuck the the underside of the crystal, right above the 9 o'clock dial. It was difficult the see, as the 9 o'clock dial is a huge white triangle (shark tooth), and the debris, also white, was stuck to the crystal right above it. (see attached photo, it was the best i can do given the awkward angle at which i have to take the photo) I happened to see it while driving with my watch hand on top of the steering wheel on the first day of wearing the watch. Called amazon immediately, and was issued an exchange with 1 day shipping without any fuzz. Great customer service from amazon! Will update once i receive the replacement.