5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied so far
Published on November 7, 2012 by Edmund

3.0 out of 5 stars I hate to rain on everybodys party here but mine is ...
I hate to rain on everybodys party here but mine is just so so! I got it about three weeks ago and it looses about 30 seconds a day. It looks nice but i lose interest in a watch that is off that much. It does not have a USA warranty so you can not return it to seiko, you are just stuck with it.
Published 4 months ago by MONGO

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied so far, November 7, 2012
I have had this watch for about a month now and I grow to like it more each day. I had heard about the legendary "orange monster" in its first version and occasional problems it suffered, despite largely enthusiastic reviews. Complaints stemmed from the limitations of the movement which was too basic and tended to stop when unworn. The first generation had a non-hacking, strictly self-winding movement and a somewhat cluttered dial which, though cool, seemed to imitate the Doxa brand. This second generation, which was released this year costs about the same and is a hacking, auto and crown winding movement in a fetching design. When I bought it last month I immediately replaced the band with a g10 nato all black band because I wasn't in love with the urethane band it came with. Next, I took it into water with me whenever possible and made sure it was on my wrist during vigorous activity. So far, it looses maybe 3 seconds a day but stays water tight and still looks fresh and new. It is a real carefree watch. I couldn't expect much better from the price and hope that it continues to perform in the same manner for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged, attractive automatic dive watch. Excellent accuracy and value., February 16, 2013
This is my third Seiko dive watch in fifteen years, the other two being an SKX007 and an Orange Monster (first generation). I have been and continue to be impressed with their durability and value; the first two averaged over seven years of service before losing lubrication. Rather than pay $150 to properly clean, oil, and adjust $150 watches, I simply replaced them. Since this new, second generation Monster is a bit more expensive, I may go the maintenance route on it, when the time comes.

As did its predecessors, this watch looks great, keeps accurate time (for a mechanical watch), and feels solid and rugged. I've not had it diving, yet, but I'm sure my 100 foot dives will not tax its 200M rating. After a week of ownership, it is gaining 5.5 seconds per day. Since it is hackable, it will be easy to synchronize, useful for military-types who have time-on-target or other precision timing needs.

I replaced the included rubber strap with a NATO Zulu band and am pleased with the look and fit. I have small wrists, so the stock strap was a little too chunky for me.

Assuming this watch performs like its predecessors, I can't recommend it highly enough. A great watch, and an especially great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Style and Quality in spades, December 31, 2013
This review is from: Seiko Men's SRP315 "Classic" Stainless Steel Automatic Divers Watch (Watch)
Cool new version of the famous Orange Monster. Coming from a Seiko 5 Sports I can appreciate the tough design of this watch. The Crown is military grade hardware. The rotating bezel is precise, and aligns perfectly with the markers on the face of the watch,as does the hackable sweeping second hand. Quality and style in spades...I looked at other Seiko and Invicta offerings, but this one just has a unique look that sealed the deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb !, April 16, 2014
Very nice, solid and obvious quality. Some dive watches are behemoths and I was a little worried that the Orange 'Monster' would overwhelm my skinny wrist. But, it fits great!
The rubber strap was too long, but easy to remedy with a little surgery.
A good sign that I made a good purchase: my 15 year old, highly style conscious, son is trying to steal my Monster.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT QUALITY, April 30, 2013
MJ NEL (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This is my fourth Seiko Divers Automatic watch. I love the brand because it is quality at a good price. I have had it for two weeks and it has lost about two minutes. I can live with loosing about 10 seconds a day. This watch is really well made like all other Seiko's and it is an attractive watch. All my other watches are bigger and I was a bit disappointed when I opened the box and saw the size of the watch. It is slightly on the small side for my liking so if you like big watches then you might also be a little disappointed with the watch.The quality and the look of the watch makes up for the lack of size ! Like all my other Seiko's it is really nice and bright in the dark and very easy to read. This is one aspect that I really like about Seiko watches. Highly recommended as it is a good looking and good quality watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watches!, June 24, 2014
Frankly, there's a reason electronic watches are so popular, they're very accurate and quite inexpensive in comparison to a mechanical watch of equal quality. For all practical purposes the electronic watch is probably the way to go. Unfortunately due to a "magnetic personality" I'm unable to wear electronic watches -- after a couple of months they just die, including several quite expensive Big Name watches. Thus, I've been forced to use automatic self-winding mechanical watches all my now-long life and these by Seiko are Great!

I own two of these new Seiko SRP-series watches with stem-windable and hackable automatic 4R36A movements -- an SRP315 "Classic" Divers Watch and an SRP275 NATO green military -- as well as several of their older SNK-series military watches and SKX-series dive watches with 7S26 automatic movements. These watches just keep getting better and better.

For the price the SNK-series military-style watches can't be beat and I love the SKX-series "Monster" dive watches, but their 7S26 movements lack the stem-winding and hacking features of the new SRP-series 4R36 movement. This isn't a big deal, I just give my7S26-movement watches '60 shakes' to get them going and then another '60 shakes' each day if I don't wear them 24/7, and by applying a bit of pack-pressure on the stem the movement can be forced to stop, making them quasi-hackable.

My earliest 7S26A Black Monster wasn't the best time-keeper, losing around 15-20 seconds a day, but my 7S26B Orange Monster and 7S26B and 7S26C SNK-series military watches have kept time consistently plus or minus about 5 seconds a day. Both my SRP-series watches keep time plus or minus 5 seconds a day as well. Dismal accuracy compared to a quartz movement, but pretty darn good for a mechanical watch.

The big advantage, if it is an advantage, to the new 4R36 movement is their ability to stem-wind and hack. I like being able to wind the watch with a few quick twists of the stem, but then I don't like wearing a watch while I work at the computer, so my watches spend a good deal of time sitting on the desk while I work. For someone who wears their automatic self-winding watch 24/7 stem-winding is less of an advantage. Likewise, it amuses me to set my watch against an atomic clock and know it's dead on, so I like the hacking feature, but if really accurate time-keeping is needed the clock on your smartphone or a stopwatch app is probably the way to go.

Bottom line, for an affordable and rugged self-winding mechanical watch the new Seiko SRP-series watches are the best yet. I love mine and I'm sure if you try one you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read dive watch, December 3, 2013
The standout feature of this Seiko diver is the two-tone orange and black dial with the bold luminous markers. Your eyes are drawn to the center of the dial where the luminous hands are easy to read. The watch feels good on the wrist and the automatic movement runs smoothly.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really like this watch, June 19, 2014
I purchased this for two reasons - I wanted an automatic watch with which I could swim and snorkel in the ocean with no concerns, and one that I could wear at work and casually - I sometimes end up in situations that could damage a mechanical watch. I have a Swiss automatic that I really love, but I balk at swimming with it (it is not a dive watch) or wearing it at work it because it cost me a lot of money. I now prefer mechanical watches, especially automatics.

I did a lot of research on Seiko movements. This watch has the newest Seiko automatic movement with improved shock resistance and incorporating hand-winding and hacking. The second hand sweeps smoothly, almost as smoothly as on my Swiss movement. It is a great value in this regard. The whole watch feels solid and of high quality. I find the size ideal. All facets are easy to read, including the day/date. Luminosity is very strong and the luminous areas are quite large. I recently took it off for several days - it ran for almost 2 days on reserve power.

All in all I feel this was a great purchase. I also like this watch because I travel to the Caribbean quite a bit, and although this watch appears to be more expensive than it is I don't feel as if I am telegraphing conspicuous wealth to locals, but at the same time I don't feel personally as if I am wearing a cheap-o watch. Having something of quality and substance on my wrist has a lot to do with wearing a watch for me. It is a perfect balance, perhaps, for me at least.

5.0 out of 5 stars The force is strong with this one, October 21, 2014
I work as a commercial caterer, and am constantly working around water, grease, oils, etc. My Swiss field watch, on a sweet leather strap, just wasn't cutting it - mainly the strap around all that water. I decided I wanted a dive watch because 1) they are waterproof - especially the strap 2) the bezel is really handy to have to track cooking times in a commercial kitchen 3) they're just plain cool. After months of research and looking, I went back and forth between this and the venerable 007 as my first true dive watch... ended up with the 'halloween monster' and could not be happier or more impressed.

Initially, I was concerned about the size (compared to my 38mm Hamilton Khaki Mechanical) on my 7" wrist. I am currently not hip to the trendy massive watches sold at mall kiosks and such... Well, the size is perfect - I am 5'10'' and weigh about 185... for larger chaps, this watch might actually be a bit on the small side. But it fits me perfectly with excellent weight and acceptable height. I was initially a bit scared of the orange face - a bit over the top for me, but I decided to push through my personal barriers and expand my horizons. (Yes, an orange faced watch can actually achieve this under the right conditions with the right individual. I'd say it's right up there with solo backpacking through third world countries.)

So, in short, I just went for it. Fit and finish is excellent - the bezel is a pure joy to turn. It is very unique and I liked it right away but find myself liking it even more as I get more used to it... it is really a sharp watch.

The new Seiko movement appears to be outstanding, losing 7 seconds per day right out of the box. I expect this shall improve as the watch movement settles itself in. Very impressive, actually, as my Hamilton has an ETA 2804 Swiss movement that was something like 12 seconds slow per day out of the box. Now it loses about 8 seconds per day - quite reasonable - but if it were to be regulated, I'm sure the accuracy would improve. That said, the Seiko movement - though not as smooth in the second hand sweep as the Hamilton, is quite impressive, quiet, and apparently very accurate at roughly half the cost. I guess time will tell as to which one will be the more durable and trouble free over the course of years.

Lume: Very, very good! But don't expect this thing to glow like a UFO all night - it does settle down and softly illuminate for hours - usually I can still read it after 7 hours. Where it is really cool is when walking into shadow/darker areas/inside after being in direct sunlight and seeing the soft glow of the lume during daylight hours. The initial charge is ultra bright!

The band is better than I expected and I will keep it for now. Very comfortable though it is a true diver's band and is extra long to accommodate a wet suit. As I live in Alaska, I know that won't be happening, so a quick bit of work with a thin, sharp blade fixed that problem.

As my first dive watch, my first Seiko, and my first automatic I could not be happier. At first, I really second guessed myself for ordering this one over the black monster, but now that I have it in hand I would happily make this same choice. (Also, I am not a fan of heavy, shiny, SS/metal bands - that was the main reason)

Overall, I am quite impressed with just about everything regarding this watch. The only negative I can come up with is that the winding mechanism in no where near as smooth and 'nice' as the one on my Hamilton. Winding and setting this watch is a bit of a chore with the screw down crown, as I knew it would be for ultimate water-proofness, but I was a bit disappointed in the overall feel of the crown. But that is nit picky and only by comparing it to a Swiss made watch that was twice the price.

In closing, the most outstanding feature of this watch has got to be its overall look. This thing is just different. Very unique and yet instantly awesome.

Over-the-fence four bagger is whatcha got here.

Highly recommended.

UPDATE: I have had this watch for a little over a month or so... crikey, the watch is currently losing about 3 seconds per day. Hmmm... how shall I put this... W-O-W!!!! This watch continues to impress. Also, to borrow an oft used phrase to describe this watch - it is indeed built like a tank. I would honestly have to say that there is unbelievable value/bang for the buck here - so much so that it borders on absurd. If you are on the fence - just get one and you will instantly see what all the fuss is about. Looks sharp on a trout stream as well. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster fan, September 19, 2014
I've been a longtime Seiko and Monster fan and have owned at least 10 of these divers over the years. They make a great platform for modding and you can simply strap one on an forget about it because this beast can go anywhere. The recent purchase of the SRP315 is my latest buy after owning a Black Monster as I love the new movement with it's hacking/winding features. I choose this specific model because of of it's unusual presentation - black on orange dial and black bezel. It certainly stands out. You really can't go wrong with any of the Monster line as these are very solidly built watches with lume that you can almost read by. Seiko offers one of the best values for your money and these diver models require very little maintenance. It's not unusual for a Monster to last years and years without doing anything to it and at this price point even if something goes wrong, you just buy another.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›