5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of cool features
I bought this as a gift for my husband for Christmas. He likes the fact that it's solar powered, and enjoys many of the other features, including the rotary slide rule (!). Who woulda thunk it? I think it's nice looking, so everyone is happy.
Published 18 months ago by Tina F.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but a couple things
Published on July 5, 2012 by TrijohnD

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but a couple things, July 5, 2012
This review is from: Seiko Men's SSC007 Stainless Steel and Black Dial Watch (Watch)
I ordered this watch over the SSC009 because the SSC007 (this watch) claims to have a screw down crown. It does NOT have this. The description of the SSC009 didn't say anything about a screw down crown so I figured either they both have it or neither. Turns out neither have it. Not a huge deal, but I'm around water a lot and swim, apt to snorkel, and shower with my watches on so want them to be fairly waterproof. I've a couple dive watches that are also 100m rated (330') and have never had a problem with leakage, but they also have screw down crowns.

The other thing I didn't like was the red color for the labels on the outside dial (e.g., Fuel Lbs, Oil Lbs, etc.) I'm 49 and vision is what it is (I wear glasses) but I found it very difficult to read the red.

I ended up returning this watch and getting the SSC009 (same watch but with white labels and white sweep hand with red tip). Doesn't have the screw down crown but I find it much easier to read than this watch.

While I'm thinking of it, the alarm is not very loud at all and only lasts for 20 seconds. Not sure why they did that and didn't let the alarm beep for a minute or until it is turned off. Louder alarm would be nice as I can't really rely on this to wake me.

The alarm function is relatively easy to set and it works great. The watch itself is a looker and on the larger side. The band is VERY nice and very similar to an Omega Speedmaster.

Great watch but no screw down crown, difficult to read labels, and soft alarm took it down a couple stars. I'd say 3-4 stars. Nothing wrong with the watch at all though!

I'll review the SSC009 as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of cool features, December 25, 2012
Tina F. (Milford, CT) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars ssc007, June 7, 2012
The watch is excellent. It works well. I set it once and never had to set it again. I've had a lot of people notice it. Totally awesome watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfaction, May 21, 2012
Nice watch. Solid. Great price-product. I used to have another solar brand watch, it was a great watch, but I am very pleased with this too.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Everyday Watch, May 11, 2014
This is my everyday watch.

It goes well with everything, and I really like face with all the tick marks and numbers. It looks like a nice pilots watch. The stop watch functions are really cool if you can remember how to use them. I used the second minute/hour face once when I was travelling to keep track of local time.

The slide rule is a cool little function, I just can't remember how to use it.

If I can't remember how to use something on the watch, I just look it up online.

4 Stars because:

Every once in a while, the watch just stops. I'll lose a few minutes or hours. It's really annoying. It happened a lot more when I first got it but recently it's stopped. I'm not sure if it's because I bought it online or what, but that really made me unhappy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the look of this watch., March 17, 2014
E. R. S. (Santa Clara, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Watch was very simple to set up and correct date/times. Need to figure out how to use the rotating bezel though but otherwise, it's great watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this watch, February 25, 2014
I wear it everyday now! Perfect fit! I was scared at first with quality/originality but I am totally satisfied. Love this watch!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch don't like the way Chrono works, June 17, 2014
This is a really well made watch which is no surprise as it is a Seiko. It is extremely accurate, looks good and has a usable E6B bezel if you can see fairly well, otherwise not so much. As a solar quartz it needs just a little light to keep the battery charged and has a really good reserve time. However the central second hand is stationary except when in chrono mode, there is a little second hand at the 9:00 position that displays normal secs. The central second hand only counts for 60 minutes then stops. I don't really care for that. Fit and finish are great, contrast between dial and hands is excellent and it sports the really good Seiko Lumibrite lume which last a long time. The bracelet is well made and is comfortable when properly sized. All in all a good watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great watch meeting all expectations, June 12, 2014
I've had this watch for about a month now and love it. It is my everyday casusal watch.
Upon recieiving it, I found it to be easy to set and get started. I let it sit in the sun for about an hour before I started using it and have had no problems.
As a prior reviewer has stated, the red markings on the rotating bezel are almost impossible to see and use, but they look nice. I can use them only when wearing reading glasses - a younger person may have less of a problem. I have had no issues with the stem coming out and stopping the watch, as another reviewer has pointed out. The stem seems to stay where you you put it.
The stopwatch uses a red sweep hand which is highly visible and works very well. I do not use the alarm, but the alarm dial can be used as an alternate time zone clock which is very useful.
Finally, this is very much a man's watch. It has a larger dial and feels heavier on the wrist that it actually is. My normal Seiko dress watch (a very simple dial watch costing less than $90) weighs 4 ounces, this one weighs 6.
Overall a very nice and useful watch that is extremely functional and looks very sophisticated without being ostentatious.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality at a great price!, June 6, 2014
This watch is more than I expected. It's clearly a high end watch. I purchased it on sale and was extremely happy with the quality.

Rate and Discover Movies