Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on March 11, 2015
I'm a pilot, and I love this watch. The white numbers on a black watch face/bezel with red accents really makes this watch stand out. The E6B bezel rotates smoothly, but firmly and does not move easily once set (good thing). The numbers are small, but they are clearly legible due to the fact that they contrast nicely against the black face. This makes calculating Dist./Time/Fuel burn calculations quick and easy.

This watch is very well made and looks/feels more expensive than $200. The chronograph is accurate and responsive and ticks about five times a second which makes it look like it's counting smoothly, as opposed to having it tick every second. The actual watch face is depressed into the watch and is lower than the hands, as well as the inner and outer bezel rings. It looks great.

The setup was simple and the instructions were clear. I had to charge the watch out of the package, but after a day in the sun, it was ready to go and I have not seen the low battery indication since. (Low battery indication is shown by the second hand ticking 2 seconds at a time)

I replaced the metal bracelet with a 20mm NATO strap and it fits perfectly. It definitely completes the aviator look. (Sutter & Stockton 20mm Grey & Black Striped Nylon Military Watch Strap Band)

Some things to note.
- The alarm is super weak, but I have my phone to take care of alarms
- The crown does not screw down, but it has never gotten caught on anything or popped out inadvertently
review image review image review image
on December 5, 2013
I begin this review with my personal preference for a watch as a reflection of why I purchased this particular watch. The watch has to be subtle (not flashy like LOOK-AT-ME! ARE YOU LOOKING?), is consistent with timekeeping, has chronograph functions, displays some form of contrasting color scheme for my visual perception, and affordable (under $250) with the features it can offer. This watch met my preference.

Absolutely a great watch for both everyday wear and special-night-out wear. The design of the watch is very strikingly masculine yet subtle, unlike the flashy watches with huge faces nowadays. I'm glad the affordable brands such as Seiko, Citizen, Timex, and Casio are still following the traditional route and not too caught up with extreme fashion trends.

Functionality, this watch is very versatile as it has ways to help you calculate and estimate measurements such as basic math to unit conversions. (That is all I have tried so far, although I know there are way more functions than just those I mentioned.) It is low-maintenance due to the solar capability. No need to worry about replacing the battery for a long time. The numbers on the bezel and around the outer dial are visible enough, despite the crammed look due to having too many sets of values, for the sake of versatility. The bezel can be rotated in either direction to help you calculate certain things. The manual is where to learn all of those calculation methods. Note that the instructions are somewhat scientific; therefore, you need to have some patience or be diligent to research what you don't understand. I scanned at one section and was reminded of 'scientific notations,' 'significant figures' and 'exponents' back in my college years in physics and chemistry classes.

Timing is perfect enough for me. I use the chronograph more for my nursing profession. The buttons seem solid and feel sturdy to the touch at each press. No mushy feeling to them. The seconds hand is red to help contrast the black dial and catch your attention in case you need to follow that hand for any timing purposes, besides the 'seconds subdial.'

Looks wise, the watch is not huge for a 45mm. For my small wrist, it is a tad larger than my current watch collection. A 43mm diameter would fit perfectly. But no complaints whatsoever with the 45mm. The illumination of the markers and hands last pretty long, long enough for you to gaze at the watch in a theatre or changing environment from a well-lit area to a dim area. The glow also conveniently catches your attention at a glance without much effort to stare at the watch to see what time it is. For both formality and accommodation, I have the stock metal band switched out to a Corvette band in dark brown/mocha suede leather in size 22mm. The new band helps accentuate the watch more elegantly and still can be worn for both formal and casual events. I no longer wear metal bands since I have been appreciating the lighter weight and snugger, uniform fit around the entire wrist from leather bands. Furthermore, if you're the type who does not like the weight of the entire setup, still buy it and replace the metal band with a leather one like me.

You won't be overwhelmed with this watch. And you also won't be disappointed with it either. It is a perfect daily accessory for any person in any work field without room for complaints. Upon holding it for the first time, my first thought of it was very masculine, good weight, subtle and classy, and detailed. I am very happy I made this purchase. 5 STARS for Seiko for this model.
review image
on July 5, 2012
I ordered this watch over the SSC009 because the SSC007 (this watch) claims to have a screw down crown. It does NOT have this. The description of the SSC009 didn't say anything about a screw down crown so I figured either they both have it or neither. Turns out neither have it. Not a huge deal, but I'm around water a lot and swim, apt to snorkel, and shower with my watches on so want them to be fairly waterproof. I've a couple dive watches that are also 100m rated (330') and have never had a problem with leakage, but they also have screw down crowns.

The other thing I didn't like was the red color for the labels on the outside dial (e.g., Fuel Lbs, Oil Lbs, etc.) I'm 49 and vision is what it is (I wear glasses) but I found it very difficult to read the red.

I ended up returning this watch and getting the SSC009 (same watch but with white labels and white sweep hand with red tip). Doesn't have the screw down crown but I find it much easier to read than this watch.

While I'm thinking of it, the alarm is not very loud at all and only lasts for 20 seconds. Not sure why they did that and didn't let the alarm beep for a minute or until it is turned off. Louder alarm would be nice as I can't really rely on this to wake me.

The alarm function is relatively easy to set and it works great. The watch itself is a looker and on the larger side. The band is VERY nice and very similar to an Omega Speedmaster.

Great watch but no screw down crown, difficult to read labels, and soft alarm took it down a couple stars. I'd say 3-4 stars. Nothing wrong with the watch at all though!

I'll review the SSC009 as well.
on June 12, 2014
I've had this watch for about a month now and love it. It is my everyday casusal watch.
Upon recieiving it, I found it to be easy to set and get started. I let it sit in the sun for about an hour before I started using it and have had no problems.
As a prior reviewer has stated, the red markings on the rotating bezel are almost impossible to see and use, but they look nice. I can use them only when wearing reading glasses - a younger person may have less of a problem. I have had no issues with the stem coming out and stopping the watch, as another reviewer has pointed out. The stem seems to stay where you you put it.
The stopwatch uses a red sweep hand which is highly visible and works very well. I do not use the alarm, but the alarm dial can be used as an alternate time zone clock which is very useful.
Finally, this is very much a man's watch. It has a larger dial and feels heavier on the wrist that it actually is. My normal Seiko dress watch (a very simple dial watch costing less than $90) weighs 4 ounces, this one weighs 6.
Overall a very nice and useful watch that is extremely functional and looks very sophisticated without being ostentatious.
on March 7, 2016
I've not had much time with my new SSC007, but it has already become one of my favorite watches. The pictures do not do it justice. It is a looker in every sense of the word. I have an Omega Speedmaster, which I love, that will see little wear now that I have this watch. Although I appreciate the Swiss movement, the legacy of the brand, the historical nature of the Speedmaster, and the "aura" that comes with owning a Swiss timepiece, the practical, frugal, yet still demanding side of me can find no wrong in this watch.

Function: the SSC007 is a chronograph (for those that don't speak WatchGeek, it's a watch with an independent mechanism that allows it to both tell time and function as a stopwatch). Do we have the ability to pull out a smartphone, enter a passcode, navigate to a time app, select the timer function, and time with nanosecond precision? Yes. However, nothing beats that functionality in a purpose built machine that's as close to accurate as I'll ever need. Combine this with Solar recharging and you have a machine that does not need to be rewound, recharged, or batteries that must be replaced. This watch also has other computing capabilities with which I'm less familiar. I'll admit, these are superfluous for my use (I sit in an office and am behind a computer most days), but I appreciate that some others might find them useful.

Style: Hard to beat. I'm usually a fan of the chunkier style of a diver watch, but the chronograph, with its complexity, is a thing of beauty. Add to that a simple but elegant bracelet and this watch is a stunner. 72 hours in and it's a slam dunk favorite. I'm just not sure how I'm going to explain my new love affair to my other watches.

Price: Considering you can snag this for under two hundred on Amazon compared to the thousands you'd be required to pay for a Swiss timepiece, this is clearly a no brainer. Even if you own a Swiss timepiece, there's a spot in your watch case for the SSC007; it'll go anywhere and you're not afraid of beating it up.
on July 27, 2014
On the good side, the watch is well balanced on the wrist. It is large, but not horribly so. However, the lume at the hour markers is minimal. Much worse, to me, is that the stopwatch is very hard to read, to the point of being unusable. The thin red hand and the red minute marks don't have enough contrast. The stopwatch second hand is also too thin to be readily readable. The alarm is very weak, as with all Seikos of this design.

If I had to buy it over again...I wouldn 't.
review image review image
on December 25, 2012
I bought this as a gift for my husband for Christmas. He likes the fact that it's solar powered, and enjoys many of the other features, including the rotary slide rule (!). Who woulda thunk it? I think it's nice looking, so everyone is happy.
on August 4, 2015
Flashy. It gets noticed, not always a good thing. "Can you fly planes with that watch?!"

The problem with this watch is that it is Solar. Unless it is a watch you wear all the time, the battery WILL go dead and at inopportune moments... It was New Year's Eve and I was still chatting and socializing at a party. Thinking I had an hour until the ball drop, I continued on until a few minutes later the countdown started and my girlfriend was all the way across the room. She thought I was avoiding our New Year kiss. I rushed over and planted one on her lips and vowed never to wear this watch after sunset again.
on January 16, 2014
First off, let me set the stage here - I love and collect watches. I have several. Some of my favorite watches are Citizen and Seiko. This was is amazing on the wrist. It has a perfect dial set, nice chrome finish, elegant black face, and it does a damn good job at telling the time too!

A great find on Amazon, snag one up gents!
on April 17, 2014
The watch is beautiful, very nice, however this is fore someone with a perfect vision including a 12 old year hearing - The bezel is impossible to read and with red letter even more, the alarm is useless you can only hear it when you place it next to you so I wonder if you are sleep if you can even hear it, I didn't try it.

So I decided to replace with a more simple watch so when I went searching I found another one I place it on my cart and continue to search for another one, while waiting for credit confirmation from the return- The watch that I place on cart went up by 100 from the same vendor like they new they wanted to make the maximum profit out of me, even though they claim to have 4 left, the price was much higher that from the manufactures MSRP. So. I think it was very deceiving so others watch out!.

No problem with the return from Amazon, it is always a pleasure to purchase from them some other vendor might not have the same business morals.