5.0 out of 5 stars Good product with great value for the price
Published on June 13, 2012 by The Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable... a pity
First off, I did not buy mine on Amazon. But, I wanted to leave a review for potential future buyers. Cool watch that I enjoyed wearing a lot. I got more compliments on this than any of my expensive watches. You'll note that I said "enjoyed," past tense. It stopped holding a charge after about a year. I sent it back for warranty work and it was supposedly fixed...
Published 1 month ago by E. Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product with great value for the price, June 13, 2012
This review is from: Seiko Men's SSC017 "Solar Dive" Stainless Steel Dive Watch (Watch)
DESCRIPTION: The Seiko SSC017 Eco-Drive watch is a diver's style quartz/electronic chronograph (a watch with stopwatch functions) that is water resistant to 200 meters and whose battery is continually recharged by any strong light source. Available in three color variations, the cal. V175-0AD0 version presents a dark black dial with large white, luminous hours and minutes hands and large white, luminous dot, dash and keystone-style hour markings, under a simple, uncoated tempered glass ("Hardlex") crystal. The unmagnified date is shown as small white digits on a black background, between the 4 and 5 o'clock positions on the watch face and requires resetting for any month that is not 31 days in length. The crystal is recessed very slightly below a surrounding beveled timing bezel, which helps to protect it against scratches. Three smaller sub-dials in the lower half of the watch face display seconds, elapsed minutes (for the chronograph function) and 24-hour time (locked permanently to the main hour hand). Since the 24-hour time display is NOT INDEPENDENTLY ADJUSTABLE, this watch does NOT support a second time zone (so-called GMT function). The seconds and 24-hour indicators are stark white and the former also has a luminous dot, making them readable despite their small size. The chronograph minutes indicator in the center sub-dial is sky blue, which blends in with the black watch face, and is more difficult to see. The large second hand on the main dial is used for the chronograph function only, to display seconds/fifths of a second, and is finished in sky blue, also blending in with the watch face. Surrounding the watch face is a 120 click-stop, ratcheting timing bezel, beveled so that the inside circumference is slightly higher than the outside. The bezel rotates counterclockwise only (normal for a dive watch) and is finished in sky blue (from 12 to 3 o'clock position) and black (from 3 to 12 o'clock) with matte silver digits for 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 minutes, a luminous dot at 60 minutes and silver minute tick marks in between. Bezel operation is very smooth and well damped and it is easy to find a good grip on the serrated but rounded bezel edges, making setting quick and easy, even with (wet suit) gloves on. On the right side of the watch is the crown, for time/date setting. Above the crown is the chronograph "start" button and below is the "lap/reset" button. Both crown and buttons are of the screw-down type, intended to prevent accidental operation while in the water (the chronograph and time setting functions should not be used when the watch is wet) and to ensure water resistance. Crown and button edges are serrated for good grip, but are also elevated off the wrist enough by case thickness to prevent skin irritation. Crown unlock/lock operation is smooth, but button locking collars require significant torque to lock or unlock, are loose when in between lock/unlock and are not very refined in operation. The watch case itself is a very solid piece of stainless steel, with well rounded corners, making it comfortable to wear despite its significant mass. The top of the case is matte finished to match bracelet side links while the sides and back are polished. The solid stainless steel circular back case cover is domed to resist pressure and screws tightly into the case and (most likely) o-ring seal to provide robust water resistance. The cover lists the watch caliber and serial numbers, plus the usual Seiko "breaking wave" dive watch logo. The heavy stainless steel bracelet has a very secure double locking, push-button clasp and a flimsy, difficult to deploy wetsuit extension that does not inspire confidence. Center and side links are solid (rather than stamped/folded) stainless steel, but the end link covers and wetsuit extension are stamped/folded steel. Links are held together by the overly complex Seiko pin-and-collar system, which makes resizing this bracelet a chore. Center links are polished while side links are matte finished.

KEY FEATURES: 1. Very legible luminous hours and minutes hands and markers with excellent visibility day or night (lume lasts for hours), 2. Solar/available light recharging of built-in Lithium-Titanium battery, with a 6-month power reserve (means no battery changes needed - just leave it in the sun for a day to recharge), 3. 60-Minute stopwatch/chronograph function with 1/5 second resolution and lap (second parallel event timing) capability, 4. Timing bezel with very smooth operation, for longer, lower resolution timing of events, 5. Water resistance to 660 feet (200 meters), ensured by screw-down crown and buttons and a robust, domed case back, 6. Double locking bracelet with a push-button clasp, wet suit extension and sub-link, spring-bar adjustable sizing, 7. Quartz accuracy (mine gains about 60 sec./year) that minimizes resetting of watch time.

GENERAL IMPRESSIONS: This is a handsome, robust and very practical watch that looks much more expensive than it is. For about two C-notes, it is impressively built and, with a few minor exceptions, very easy to read and use. Seiko obviously spent considerable engineering effort making sure this watch had the features and quality to back up its stated purpose. For example, the timing bezel on most dress "dive watches" in this price range is an afterthought and functions poorly. They are often stiff and difficult to set or read. But the bezel on the Seiko SSC017 is as smooth as any Rolex or Breitling, only better damped and easier to set. Competing chronographs in this price range (and some priced 10x higher) have buttons and crowns styled to look as if they have screw-down positive locking, but do not. This Seiko has the real thing. The rounded case edges, sturdy domed back cover and very bright, long-lasting lume on the hands and time marks of the watch face round out a very practical and attractive timepiece. Solar/available light recharging with a very long 6-month reserve is a significant bonus Seiko appears to have thrown in free - goodbye maintenance! Some have quibbled that the 24-hour sub-dial would be better used for a GMT or chronograph hours function. Yep. GMT capability would have been very useful. But it would have also added lots of internal complexity and cost to the watch. So the 24-hour sub-dial function remains marginally useful as an AM/PM indicator for watch date setting, and also as a "% of day complete" indicator.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT:
As good as the watch is, the bracelet (though adequate) is overly complex, clumsy and inconsistently engineered. It is difficult to add/remove links due to the complex Seiko pin and (minute) collar system that uses sand-grain size collars to lock pins in place. Try resizing this at home and you'll wish you'd gone to a (good) jeweler, after you've lost the collar(s) while trying to put them in place using tweezers, with aid of a microscope. The links are solid machined steel and seem bullet-proof. So why did Seiko include a tiny stamped steel diver's extension that looks like a soda can pop-top? Not that you'll ever use it, because it takes a screwdriver or pair of pliers to deploy (maybe a safety feature?). Even the designer of the extension must have had second thoughts, because when NOT deployed a sturdy steel hook makes sure this structural bomb is bypassed by substantial metal and does not compromise the strength of the bracelet. And the stamped/folded end links covers do not fit flush in the watch ends, leaving the sharp watch case finger edges slightly exposed. Nonetheless, the push-button, double locked stamped-steel clasp is precisely adjustable and secure while remaining attractive and functional in normal use. A second minor area for improvement is the button locking collars, whose rotation and lock/unlock should be better damped and operate more easily.

CONCLUSION: Even with its minor shortcomings, this watch is a keeper and outstanding value, hence my five-star rating. There simply is not much else this solidly built, attractive, readable and functional in the price range. Except for the diver's extension, it does exactly what it promises to do. Other style variations have yellow (model SSC021 with black rubber bracelet) or red (model SSC015) chronograph hands which increases visibility of these functions, though the sky-blue version is striking. Model SSC021 with its adjustable (buckle) rubber bracelet and highly visible yellow chronograph hands is likely the most useful for diving with a wet suit, should this be contemplated.

UPDATE: After one week of use, the bottom chronograph "pusher" button's screw-down collar stripped its threads. The dealer promptly exchanged the watch for a new one, and this second one has had no problems. I treat the pusher collars much more gingerly now, though. And after 3 months of swimming, boating and other activity, the watch still works and looks great. Yeah, there are scratches on the polished center links, but these are only visible very close up - so no real issue there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Watch with Extreme Accuracy, January 4, 2013
Steve (SF Bay Area) - See all my reviews
I love this watch for all the reasons already stated. The solar charge lasts and lasts even when out of the sun for weeks at a time. Since no one else mentioned this, I will: this watch is extremely accurate. It has stayed within 1 second of the USNO atomic clock for over 6 months straight. I know that many folks don't care about such accuracy in what is mainly a piece of jewelry, but for those that care, it is amazingly accurate! I have never had a watch that was this accurate. I've owned solar atomic watches that self correct every few days, but those were off by several seconds a day. Sometimes, depending on location, those watches would fail to synchronize with the atomic clock in Colorado.

I don't know if all of these watches are this accurate, but mine is a gem and a real keeper. What a time piece!

5.0 out of 5 stars This watch is for the Pros, October 4, 2013
Stylish and substantial and solar powered, this Seiko Dive Chronograph meets my professional needs , working in ,both, TV studios and Classrooms, and does it with a contemporary and masculine look. It's a heavy watch (and big enough to be seen from the International Space Station :)
So far, a few weeks in. I really like it!!!:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, BIG & HEAVY, December 10, 2012
This is a great watch for the money. The blue segment on the bezel gives it just enough colour & also doesn't make it look quite so "Rolex-y" imho. Like I alluded to in the title it's a very big watch on the wrist, it even makes my Casio G shock look quite small. This doesn't put me off but it's something to be aware of, I suspect it's more than the listed 43mm. The weight is a very substantial 16oz which certainly adds to the general feeling of solidity but came as a surprise at first. I've read quite a few negative comments about the band but I think it looks good and works just fine. The wet-suit extension is a bit flimsy but I'm unlikely to ever use this so it's not a big deal. After wearing the watch for a few days I'm very happy. Just be careful at first until you get used to the case height.

Just a quick update on the accuracy. I'm very impressed, after a month it shows the same time as my wave-ceptor (atomic clock updated) Casio.

Quick Update: If,(like me),you're getting fed up with the polished center links showing scratches, you can polish them with Brasso. Don't do it too often as the polish is abrasive. However,after 2 years, it totally transformed the band on my watch.

Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Watch. 1 per month for 15 years., March 31, 2014
I was given the original Seiko diver's watch when I was in college 15 years ago. It was nice, heavy, and took a beating. I guess I took it for granted because after it was stolen, I went through a miriad of cheap watches trying to keep the time.

After years of not wearing a watch (6) I started trying to find one to fit my life and style. I'm a simple, jeans and tshirt kind of guy. I'm working class and don't get dressed up often, avoiding the crowd. I bought an Armitron that broke and a Timex that was broken and then a Casio all more expensive than the other but all unable to keep the time or function.

A new version of the original Seiko diver's watch brought me to this one. I wanted a chronograph, a black face, and easy to read numbers. It had to be tough too, I am careless and a brute. I make 10 bucks an hour too and 177 bucks is a lot of jack, but I dropped the hammer because the only things I trusted from here were in the 4-500 dollar range.

This is a good looking watch. I've never had compliments on my watches before except on the other Seiko. I get them all of the time with this one. My brother who owns two Rolexes complimented me on the watch. It really is nice and I expect to get 15-16 years of good service from this averaging about 1 dollar a month for the time of day on my wrist in a good looking tough package.

The problem I was having with cheap watches was the face would get chipped or scratched. Never happened on my other Seiko. I had it so long, it was dirtier than worn. I will look at another Seiko in 15 years and I'll buy it from Amazon again. Very satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sutil beast, September 14, 2013
The watch arrived in excellent condition. The band was not difficult to adjust, attentive to small inner sleeve that presents each adjustment pin. Its easy to synchronize system time, in fact there was no need to consult the manual as it is more or less the standard of all watches of this type with screw down crown. The appearance is excellent, sturdy and stylish design, imagine it bigger for the pictures he had seen, but the actual size is balanced for common man wrist. It feels heavy but I like so. I agree with opinions of other buyers, the date is difficult (if not impossible to read without glasses) to any individual exceeding 40 years old. Unboxing the wacht and all the mechanism was already in movement. Recently it submerged to 20 meters deep and absolute tightness as well as reading, clear.
The opening system extra band when used wetsuits, is complicated but the trick is to free up the inside by pulling the link folding.
The light in darkness is amazing and lasts all night but logically is diminishing in intensity.
In the time I've been using their accuracy is optimal.
Again Seiko is known for its style and quality which invites product price without hesitation.
Mens Watch 100%

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice piece, June 10, 2013
This watch is a very nice chronograph piece that has a bold look that is distinct with blue trim color. It is a fairly big piece on the wrist, but not too big or over-sized...for me it's just the right size. It looks bold but not overpowering. The Seiko quartz is very accurate, and one of the main selling points for me was the solar power feature. I've owned automatic watches that lose their accuracy over time, whereas this watch should not since it is quartz and solar/battery powered. My wife owns a Citizen eco drive which is also a great reliable watch, however, this Seiko was cheaper than any comparable Citizen I could find. The only negative is the date display which is very small and looks to be deeply recessed in the face of the watch...a shortcoming that for me is a non-factor. Overall I'm very happy with my purchase, both with the product and the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch at a good price, May 16, 2013
I selected this Seiko after looking at so many watches online and in person that my head was starting to swim. You can read the other reviews for all the details, but I selected this watch because it had the few features that I wanted - Solar powered, chronograph, decent water Resistance, and good size - at a price point that was very attractive. I found the same model at Costco for a just a dollar or so more, but would've had to pay sales tax.

The watch functions well, the face is easy to read (time, date, and stopwatch), and it looks nice. The only problem I ran into was having it re-sized to fit my wrist. The jeweler was not familiar withe Seiko pin and collar mechanism, and did not put the collars back on when they removed the links. I took it back, explained the issue to them, and a more knowledgeable employee fixed it for me. This seems to be a common problem on Seiko's so make sure the jeweler knows what they are doing.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with this purchase, and think that I received a good watch at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellant, November 26, 2013
1 keeps perfect time 2 easy to read dial 3 waterproof 200m 4 excellent luminance 5 solar 6 great old school & modern look.
the band is not up to the watch quality but it can easily be changed out
seiko = dependability

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty nice, September 6, 2012
decent construction, good solid feel except for the bracelet that rivals invicta in cheapness. its ok but not up to par with the rest of the watch. i have a seiko kinetic diver that is absolutely solid so this was sort of a disapoitment.

Rate and Discover Movies