4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Watch
Published on September 4, 2012 by Fred

I collect many watches mainly because I love the way they look and was looking forward to this one but because of a few things feel a little disappointed.
1)The crystal is very reflective so it is hard to get a good look at the watch from many angles.
Published 2 months ago by Shutterbug

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Watch, September 4, 2012
This review is from: Seiko Men's SSC081 Adventure-Solar Classic Casual Watch (Watch)
This is one of those watches that I had to have as soon as I saw it. I bought this watch almost a week ago from an Amazon Marketplace seller and have to say I am very pleased with the purchase, no regrets whatsoever. I wanted to check all the functions thouougly before rating, a task which I've finished. First of all, the photo on the website makes it appear the watch has a dull or matte finish. Actually the entire case minus the tops of the lugs are a shiny yet quality stainless steel. Personally I would prefer a matted finish, but it still looks great, the glossy metal will give it a dressier appearance to wear with a suit or whatever.

The watch has two buttons and two crowns. The main crown is for setting the time and date basically as any other analog. The crown at the upper left is only used to move the compass besel directions one way or the other. One negative about this crown is that it won't "lock" into place and cannot be pulled out, it merely spins freely, actually too easily or freely so you will find it moves the compass points around while wearing it. I believe it would have been wiser to have a clicking rotating besel rather than fixed for this function and eliminate the crown. Not a real big deal.

The upper right button is used to start and stop the chronograph. The lower button is used to reset the chronograph and to set the alarm time. The alarm is 12 hour based and is not very loud, it may not wake you but you might hear it if used as a reminder. The alarm graph at the bottom of the face is also used as a duplicate current time, the small minute hand moves, actually "jumps" once every minute, this is a cool function. So, if the alarm is "set" the alarm time will appear, but if the current time is showing the alarm is "off", so you know at a glance, no guessing.

The small graph at the left inside the "9" position is a very small second hand, it's kinda cool but it would be better if it had more reference points other than the top tiny triangle indicating the "12" position for setting with a time tone. The other graph is the elapsed chronograph minute hand that measures up to 60 minutes then stops. What on a conventional watch would be the (large) second hand is merely used as a seconds chronograph, so it's stationary when the chronograph is not working. When it is working it sweeps like a mechanical watch.

The minute and hour hands are luminous as are the numerals, they glow quite well and maintain the lume very well. The hardlex crystal is non reflective and only VERY SLIGHTLY domed, not entirely flat, so distortion from an angle is minimal. The watch is solar and you can't see the solar panels as you can in some solar watches. It is extremely attractive and sporty. The calf skin band seems well made and is VERY water resistant. I held the watch under running water for at least 5 seconds and the band shed the water and never showed it was wet after I towel dried it.

I have rated the watch four stars only because of the compass function by the crown that drifts, the tiny seconds indicators lack of additional reference points and the slightly too quiet alarm function. Other than that I would not change a thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Cool!, September 22, 2012
This watch is absolutley gorgeous. The photo does not do it justice. It looks much more expensive on my arm. It is a blend of the classical flight chronograph, but with updated features not found on most watches in this price range. The typical Seiko craftsmanship, and materials are what one would expect from this manufacturer; Second to no one. In this price range you won't find a better watch in my opinion. The band looks really cool in brown. However, if you wanted you could easily change it to any other color or material. Such versatility, comfort, and beauty. The displays are easy to read and the lume is great. You can wear this watch with your best suit or a pair of jeans. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful watch, made better by changing the strap., April 15, 2014
C. Perry (New Jersey, United States) - See all my reviews
This is one top-quality watch. It has a nice heft to it, has a good size, and I love the overall look of the watch face. While I'm partial to automatic watches, I was looking for a cheaper, sporty, well-made outdoors-type watch, and this watch fits the bill. Also, because it is powered by the sun, hopefully this means it will never need a battery replacement (like regular quartz watches) or servicing of the movement (like automatics require). Upon receipt, I wasn't too crazy about the color of the band. It's a well-made leather band but the color was just a little too light for me. I replaced the band with an Orange Breitling Style Rally Stripe Strap 125/85 band width 22mm and also a 22mm Premium Nylon Military Watchband Watch Strap Red/White/Black, both of which I purchased here on Amazon. The watch has 21mm lugs, but the 22mm straps fit perfectly. I've uploaded pictures of the watch with these straps so you can get an idea of what these customizations look like. I can't speak to the long-term ownership of the watch, but I'll update my review if I encounter any problems. I highly recommend this watch for purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice looking watch - and an explanation of the compass function, June 23, 2013
I got the watch yesterday - it looks great, will keep essentially perfect time and will last for decades without the need of a battery replacement - all for under $200 delivered. What more could you want? Some have been complaining about the "compass" feature - and that it's really not a compass. Duh... If you've ever had to navigate using a compass, either path-finding/orienteering on the ground or in a plane or boat without GPS, you know that if there are multiple course or heading changes while you're underway, it can get confusing. THAT is the function of the 'compass' feature. If it's time for you to change your heading, dial it into the watch - it takes only a second - and you'll always know the direction you're supposed to be going on this leg of your trip.

Some will still think it's silly - who really needs that anymore? But is it really any sillier than having a rotating bezel on a "diver" watch to remind you of how much air you loaded into your tanks? Yet no one complains when Breitling puts that functionality into a whole class of their watches - that hardly anyone actually ever uses...

The other nice thing about this watch is the alarm - if you're navigating on sea or in the air, course/heading changes are often made based on x minutes flown at heading #1, then change to heading #2 for y minutes, and finally heading #3 for z minutes. Using the 'compass' feature in conjunction with the alarm you can set both direction and timing of the course you're supposed to follow. A WWII bomber navigator would have loved a watch with this functionality...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking, but minor problems, July 8, 2013
This is a fantastic looking watch that keeps time very well. I haven't tested the battery life in darkness, but just in normal wear I haven't ever found it to slow down or go into "power saving mode."

The band is thick and sufficiently stiff while being comfortable.

The reasons for the 4 star review instead of 5 star review are twofold. First, the alarm feature is totally unnecessary and perhaps a little confusing to use. The instructions don't specify how to disable the alarm so that it never goes off, but they do specify how to activate it. I just didn't touch the alarm function out of the box, and luckily it hasn't ever gone off. I wear this for work, so I don't want the alarm to sound at an inopportune moment. The tone of the alarm is pretty quiet, so I wouldn't count on it to wake me up. The other issue is with the "compass." It's not a compass in the sense that it rotates freely to point North. It's a tool to allow you to dial in a heading. For people who fly or who orienteer with maps this may be a useful feature; however, the knob that turns the "compass" is so easily turned that any contact with skin, clothing, etc will cause it to move out of alignment. Even typing this review the "compass" has gone from N to NNE.

The watch has two features I don't need, one of which doesn't work very well. Otherwise I really like it.

2.0 out of 5 stars I collect many watches mainly because I love the way they look and was looking forward to ..., December 8, 2014
2)The strap for some reason makes the watch constantly move upwards and to the outer part of my wrist making it difficult to see the face.
3)The main second hand does not move it is only for the chronograph so it almost looks like the watch has stopped.
4)The compass dial moves virtually without being touched and is just for show mostly.
I did keep the watch because it is my only solar so far. After I got this watch I also bought a Bulova precisionist and absolutely love that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shocked!!, October 15, 2013
God I wanted to like this watch. I wanted to adore this watch. I treasured and babied this watch, and enjoyed a multitude of compliments I have received. Then exactly a year later, the watch simply dies!! Unbelievable. I looked for pamphlets in the original box only to find out that it has extremely limited one year factory warranty. WTF!!!! Never expected such a horrible craftmanship from Seiko. Needless to say, Seiko is light years behind Citizen in adopting the Solar technology. They tried copying but failed miserably. Seiko should stick with making regular quartz battery operated and kinetic watches and I will stick with Citizen's Eco Drive technology that never disappoints. What a humongous turn off!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes me look cooler than I am, September 6, 2013
Great watch. Stylish, yet not overly complex. One thing to know, the band is a little lighter in color (English tan) rather than what is pictured. Other than than, exactly what I was hoping it would be.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice looking watch, September 10, 2014
Very nice looking watch. This is my second as the firsts glass kept popping off whenever I reached cruising altitude on a plane. Was exchanged no hassles from a seiko dealer for a new one (surprised as I had no receipts or warrantee On me)
Only issue is that the strap doesn't wear very well.
Absolutely everyone comments on the watch and what a looker it Is, pity I'll have to change the strap every so often to keep it looking as smart as the pic.
Very happy nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic style, solid choice, November 30, 2014
I had been looking for an aviator style watch for some time. Seiko's Solar Classic fit the bill. The band was iffy and at first I wasn't a fan. When I opened the box the band looks just like the picture. It immediately reminded me of the leather used for baseball gloves. That sealed it for me as I'm a sucker for baseball nostalgia. I quickly grew to appreciate the contrasting tones. Although, that did not stop me from buying some replacement bands with butterfly clasps. The second leather loop that holds the band will loosen with wear and since my wrists are smaller there ends up being a lengthy band sticking out. Another reviewer mentions that the band is around 1"-1.5" longer than normal. I agree.

PROS:
The casing is great
Crystal hasn't scratched yet and I've worn it most of every week for the past two months(?)
The glow is bright
Solar powered! and holds a charge for a month per the instructions.
Keeps excellent time
Date is clear and easily visible
Chrono is solid
Compass turns smoothly
I don't use the alarm but the instructions detail exactly how to set and disable. Sure it would be useful if my phone weren't an easy alternative...maybe when aliens/zombies/robots/future overlords take over I'll start using it and the compass.

CONS:
My only real gripe is that the main crown is not a screw down. The rest are minor but don't mind them
Like others reviewers point out, the compass dial will slide around throughout the day
Band coloring could put you off but easily fixed
2nd loop will loosen with wear causing band to stick out (solid, stiff band so won't flop around)
Compass is more of an aesthetic but it's fully functional and movement is smooth

I would recommend any watch buyer to pick this up at the discounted, steal of a price around $150. I'd pay more if I had that kind of cash to throw around. This is a timeless watch that will be a regular wear and look even more elegant with the black alligator band that's en-route. And for $11 it's a small price to pay to customize this classy timepiece.