4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Watch
Published 22 months ago by Fred

1.0 out of 5 stars Shocked!!
Published 9 months ago by Supernova

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Watch, September 4, 2012
This review is from: Seiko Men's SSC081 Adventure-Solar Classic Casual Watch (Watch)
This is one of those watches that I had to have as soon as I saw it. I bought this watch almost a week ago from an Amazon Marketplace seller and have to say I am very pleased with the purchase, no regrets whatsoever. I wanted to check all the functions thouougly before rating, a task which I've finished. First of all, the photo on the website makes it appear the watch has a dull or matte finish. Actually the entire case minus the tops of the lugs are a shiny yet quality stainless steel. Personally I would prefer a matted finish, but it still looks great, the glossy metal will give it a dressier appearance to wear with a suit or whatever.

The watch has two buttons and two crowns. The main crown is for setting the time and date basically as any other analog. The crown at the upper left is only used to move the compass besel directions one way or the other. One negative about this crown is that it won't "lock" into place and cannot be pulled out, it merely spins freely, actually too easily or freely so you will find it moves the compass points around while wearing it. I believe it would have been wiser to have a clicking rotating besel rather than fixed for this function and eliminate the crown. Not a real big deal.

The upper right button is used to start and stop the chronograph. The lower button is used to reset the chronograph and to set the alarm time. The alarm is 12 hour based and is not very loud, it may not wake you but you might hear it if used as a reminder. The alarm graph at the bottom of the face is also used as a duplicate current time, the small minute hand moves, actually "jumps" once every minute, this is a cool function. So, if the alarm is "set" the alarm time will appear, but if the current time is showing the alarm is "off", so you know at a glance, no guessing.

The small graph at the left inside the "9" position is a very small second hand, it's kinda cool but it would be better if it had more reference points other than the top tiny triangle indicating the "12" position for setting with a time tone. The other graph is the elapsed chronograph minute hand that measures up to 60 minutes then stops. What on a conventional watch would be the (large) second hand is merely used as a seconds chronograph, so it's stationary when the chronograph is not working. When it is working it sweeps like a mechanical watch.

The minute and hour hands are luminous as are the numerals, they glow quite well and maintain the lume very well. The hardlex crystal is non reflective and only VERY SLIGHTLY domed, not entirely flat, so distortion from an angle is minimal. The watch is solar and you can't see the solar panels as you can in some solar watches. It is extremely attractive and sporty. The calf skin band seems well made and is VERY water resistant. I held the watch under running water for at least 5 seconds and the band shed the water and never showed it was wet after I towel dried it.

I have rated the watch four stars only because of the compass function by the crown that drifts, the tiny seconds indicators lack of additional reference points and the slightly too quiet alarm function. Other than that I would not change a thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Cool!, September 22, 2012
This watch is absolutley gorgeous. The photo does not do it justice. It looks much more expensive on my arm. It is a blend of the classical flight chronograph, but with updated features not found on most watches in this price range. The typical Seiko craftsmanship, and materials are what one would expect from this manufacturer; Second to no one. In this price range you won't find a better watch in my opinion. The band looks really cool in brown. However, if you wanted you could easily change it to any other color or material. Such versatility, comfort, and beauty. The displays are easy to read and the lume is great. You can wear this watch with your best suit or a pair of jeans. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice looking watch - and an explanation of the compass function, June 23, 2013
I got the watch yesterday - it looks great, will keep essentially perfect time and will last for decades without the need of a battery replacement - all for under $200 delivered. What more could you want? Some have been complaining about the "compass" feature - and that it's really not a compass. Duh... If you've ever had to navigate using a compass, either path-finding/orienteering on the ground or in a plane or boat without GPS, you know that if there are multiple course or heading changes while you're underway, it can get confusing. THAT is the function of the 'compass' feature. If it's time for you to change your heading, dial it into the watch - it takes only a second - and you'll always know the direction you're supposed to be going on this leg of your trip.

Some will still think it's silly - who really needs that anymore? But is it really any sillier than having a rotating bezel on a "diver" watch to remind you of how much air you loaded into your tanks? Yet no one complains when Breitling puts that functionality into a whole class of their watches - that hardly anyone actually ever uses...

The other nice thing about this watch is the alarm - if you're navigating on sea or in the air, course/heading changes are often made based on x minutes flown at heading #1, then change to heading #2 for y minutes, and finally heading #3 for z minutes. Using the 'compass' feature in conjunction with the alarm you can set both direction and timing of the course you're supposed to follow. A WWII bomber navigator would have loved a watch with this functionality...

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes me look cooler than I am, September 6, 2013
Great watch. Stylish, yet not overly complex. One thing to know, the band is a little lighter in color (English tan) rather than what is pictured. Other than than, exactly what I was hoping it would be.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shocked!!, October 15, 2013
God I wanted to like this watch. I wanted to adore this watch. I treasured and babied this watch, and enjoyed a multitude of compliments I have received. Then exactly a year later, the watch simply dies!! Unbelievable. I looked for pamphlets in the original box only to find out that it has extremely limited one year factory warranty. WTF!!!! Never expected such a horrible craftmanship from Seiko. Needless to say, Seiko is light years behind Citizen in adopting the Solar technology. They tried copying but failed miserably. Seiko should stick with making regular quartz battery operated and kinetic watches and I will stick with Citizen's Eco Drive technology that never disappoints. What a humongous turn off!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking, but minor problems, July 8, 2013
This is a fantastic looking watch that keeps time very well. I haven't tested the battery life in darkness, but just in normal wear I haven't ever found it to slow down or go into "power saving mode."

The band is thick and sufficiently stiff while being comfortable.

The reasons for the 4 star review instead of 5 star review are twofold. First, the alarm feature is totally unnecessary and perhaps a little confusing to use. The instructions don't specify how to disable the alarm so that it never goes off, but they do specify how to activate it. I just didn't touch the alarm function out of the box, and luckily it hasn't ever gone off. I wear this for work, so I don't want the alarm to sound at an inopportune moment. The tone of the alarm is pretty quiet, so I wouldn't count on it to wake me up. The other issue is with the "compass." It's not a compass in the sense that it rotates freely to point North. It's a tool to allow you to dial in a heading. For people who fly or who orienteer with maps this may be a useful feature; however, the knob that turns the "compass" is so easily turned that any contact with skin, clothing, etc will cause it to move out of alignment. Even typing this review the "compass" has gone from N to NNE.

The watch has two features I don't need, one of which doesn't work very well. Otherwise I really like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great looking watch, December 10, 2012
Joseph F. Gorecki (Safety Harbor, FL 34695) - See all my reviews
This is a great looking watch, its comfortable, and the face is interesting. The compass is just a rotating dial but its still nifty if you like to play with things. The lume is strong while it's charged. The watchband is pretty close in color to the amazon picture, a solid tan. It looks good with both black and brown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice design, looks great on the wrist, October 14, 2013
DigiSol (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
Seiko did a good job on the look and features of this watch. The case and bezel are highly polished stainless steel and the strap is a light, mid-gloss brown. Although I liked the strap, I changed it up for a red one to add a little pizzaz. The numerals and markers are not actually green as shown in the photo. They are white but change to a greenish colour when charged by light. The lume is very bright but doesn't last as long as some other lume. I doubt they're using SuperLumiNova but they should be.

The pointer near 9 o'clock is the running seconds hand. The sub dial under 12 is the chronograph counter that totalizes up to 60 minutes. The sub dial above the 6 o'clock position is really a second time zone which they call an alarm. I'll never use the alarm but since this second time zone runs independent of the main time, you can set it to whatever time you wish to track. I've got mine set to UTC time. The only drawback is that the main time must be stopped in order to set the secondary clock.

There's a compass bezel which I'll also never use. Unlike other reviewers, I've not had the compass bezel turn on its own as the crown at 10 o'clock is pretty well protected by the crown guards.

There's a few errors in the descriptions, here and elsewhere. The lug width is actually 21mm and not 20. The case diameter is 43mm (without the crowns) and the thickness is 12mm. Pretty much perfect dimensions for looking good on most male wrists and with most types of dress.

I'm glad I purchased it and found it looked much better in person than in the photos. Having it powered by light has the additional bonus of never needing battery changes. I also found the solar panels pretty much impossible to see unlike the ones on the Citizen Eco-Drives (which I still love by the way).

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a beautiful and eye-catching watch, March 11, 2013
I have been admiring this watch for a few months - it is by far the most eye-catching and unusual Seiko watch I have ever seen. I have had multiple Seiko's and they are all ultra-reliable, so I had no qualms about this one. It usually is priced around $239, but last week, I couldn't believe my eyes when it appeared for $181, so I bought it.

It arrived well packed, and upon opening the box...IT IS EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN THE PICTURES!

The watch inst especially large. I have a 7.5" wrist and it fits perfectly. It is quite deep, with a highly polished finish. The black face is deep dished, and the glass is slightly domed. This looks like a much more expensive, specialty watch. It is very very striking, and I am constantly getting comments about it.

I am not sure how useful the compass function really is, but I absolutely don't care. This watch simply gives me pleasure whenever I look at it. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, January 3, 2014
This watch is very nice to look at, the leather strap is soft and comfortable, and the performance is good. The face isn't as shiny as some reviews say. Just right for me. Would recommend this to any watch enthusiast!

Rate and Discover Movies