Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 17, 2014
I used to wear a Seiko Coutura World Timer Watch SPL001, until the battery died, leaked and damaged the circuit board (according to the watch repair guy that inspected it). The repair guy asked me when I purchased the watch (December 2006) and told me that he didn't have a circuit board for such an old watch and that he was surprised that the watch worked for so long, since most watches in this class last around 5 years.

I really liked the World Timer and thought about purchasing another one, but the chance that it would get damaged again due to a dead battery steered me to look for a “solar” watch.

After searching and comparing watches for some time I found the SSC199 from Seiko. When it comes to looks the SPL001 wins over the SSC199. The SSC199 is a tad too plain, although it is growing on me.
I suspect that the movement and whatever else going on under the hood of the SSC199 is the same or similar to the one in the SPL001's, which is fine with me since I never had any movement issues with the SPL001.

My 8 year old SPL001 still has a pristine crystal and I expect the SSC199's crystal will be just as scratch resistant (Amazon says the SSC199 has a “glass” dial. No worries, Seiko's website says it has a sapphire cyrstal).
I hope the SSC199 will outlast my SPL001 and be trouble free for many years.

If you like the look of the SPL001 and don't mind having the battery changed every 5 years or so, you can still find it at other retailers new (currently not available on Amazon) and new and used on eBay.
I distaste gold watches, I find them too gaudy. On the other hand I wouldn’t mind wearing a Seiko SPL002, which has an appropriate amount of gold accents, unfortunately it is not a “solar” watch.

Another comparable watch is the Seiko SSC139, I just happened to see it as I was about to write this review. It looks very sporty and as one of the reviewers of it said, the glossiness of the wrist band makes it a bit too showy, especially with the intricate work on the wrist band. The wrist band on the SSC199 is shiny, but it's not “mirror shiny” like the one on the SSC139.
My sister's Seiko has the same intricate work on the wrist band and I admit that the first thing that came to my mind when I looked at the SSC139 was “women's watch”.
At the moment the SSC139 costs $27 less than the SSC199.

If you are looking for a reliable, affordable, durable, not showy, and maintenance free watch, I recommend this watch.
on January 2, 2015
Heavier than my old titanium kinetic model, but no more shaking to charge and still perfect Seiko time. Alarm and chrono also. The date is deep set behind the face which makes it hard to read but I am not that old yet and can remember what day it is.
on November 8, 2014
I love how this watch looks. I think its a great price for such a nice watch. The watch has a timer function, which is not something I would use often. The hour and minute hands are great, but the seconds hand is very small and seems as though should be in place of the timer second hand. The band is nice and shiny, but after owning it for a few days the bottom of the band is scratching some of the gun-metal paint off. I expect wear and tear, but I wish the paint wouldn't come off so easy.
on May 6, 2015
After trying many different watches by Seiko, this watch was the best one because it is light weight, the hands are easily seen and the sale price of 60% off was hard to pass up. This is a very handsome watch and the color easily matches most items, casual or formal.
on October 31, 2015
I really like this watch. It's more beautiful when you open the box than it looks on the site, without being "bling". I was very impressed. It has a solid weight to it and feels comfortable on my arm. The band was easy to adjust. This is a great watch that I would've been willing to spend even a little more than it cost. I'm glad I got it.
on August 13, 2015
Got it for my husbands birthday & he absolutely loves it! It's a very handsome and sleek looking watch that can be worn while working, and when going out. It's perfect!
on August 6, 2015
Love this watch, maintenance free and durable. I bought it a year ago from amazon and had it stolen. Loved it so much I ordered it a second time.
on December 29, 2014
I shopped all the box stores for $$$$$ price & the watch style I wanted for me. After choosing the Seiko SSC199, even with all the Xmas sales and coupons Amazon saved me an additional $125.00 & delivered the product in perfect QUALITY, on time. This watch looks a lot nicer then the photo.
on April 6, 2016
Love this Seiko, it is my fourth Seiko watch and it looks stunning. Great design and time keeping. Value and looks go well with this brand.
on May 13, 2015
Great buy. Beautiful watch!