Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seiko 5 Men's SNZG09K1 Sport Analog Automatic Khaki Green Canvas Watch
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 29, 2012
Received the watch on Aug 21-2012 after ordered Aug 11-2012.
10 days in transit.

I have over two dozen watches in my collection, everything from
Timex to Rolex. This watch has rapidly become my favourite. I have
bought some watches from Amazon.com, but it is sometimes easier for
me in Canada to import Asian watches directly from Asia. I have had
100% positive experiences with Amazon, but elected to buy this watch
from an Asian dealer.

Very attractive. Movement is a 7s36c, 23j, double action auto-winder.
Excellent lume. Lasts all night. Nylon canvas bracelet is very
comfortable, makes this large watch feel light weight, and should
last well. White hands and markers are large and very easy to
read against the dark green dial.

This is my second Seiko 5, and so far it is exceptionally accurate
for a mechanical auto-winder. I have been wearing it since I received
it, and it has been +- 4s/d, and is presently 5 seconds ahead
after 8 days. Seiko 5's have a reputation for slowing down a bit
after the first month or two, so I may want to regulate it later
on, but for now, it is excellent.

This is supposed to be a non-hacking movement, but you can cheat and
"back hack" it, and set it to the exact second with a little practice.
Put a little reverse rotation tension on the crown, in time setting
mode, and the second hand stops. Some "experts" say it's not good
for the mechanism, some say harmless. Your choice.

Watches are always a matter of individual taste, but quality for
dollar value makes this Seiko hard to beat !
on January 25, 2014
As a lover of mechanical military and pilots watches as well as divers watches the Seiko SNZG09 is an excellent choice and extreme value. Dexclusive is the seller and it is fulfilled by Amazon. One note is the warranty is not valid through Seiko and only covers the movement. That being said if the watch proves not to be defective after the return period it is doubtful you will ever need the warranty service.

Now to the watch. This watch has a very no nonsense tactical look. It is not a fancy watch but it oozes quality. I have had german, russian, and swiss pilots or military watches and the build quality and fit and finish is on equal par with watches costing hundreds of dollars more. Most higher end pilots watches will use sapphire crystals but most still use mineral and I think hardlex is certainly better than most standard mineral crystals. The case finish is a bead blasted look that the whole watch has including the crown. On the caseback and inner lugs it is high polished. I wish the inner lugs were blasted as well. Having a blasted crown is a nice touch. The dial is extremely legible and easy to read the time at a glance. The dark olive green dial looks almost black in most conditions. The printing on the dial is very well done. The hands and markers including the triangle at 12 o'clock all glow very brightly with lumibrite. The dial is easily legible all night and into the early morning with a good charge before bed. The 7S36C movement seems very accurate so far. The red tipped seconds hand is a nice detail but the lume on the seconds hand is really not very useful. The caseback displays the mechanical movement. This version does not have "made in japan" printed on the dial. All of the non JDM watches are not made in Japan. Even the JDM watches have cases made in China and movements assembled in Malaysia depending on the cost of the watch and movement it uses. The watches that have made in japan are for the arabic market and their laws make them put country of origin on the dial. Both k and j variants are made exactly the same with the same components they just have a different distribution channel. Just an fyi for those that think it is important.

To sum up for $90 this watch is an extreme value. There is a new model that has a newer movement and smaller case which is probably why these ate going for such a low price. The new movement has hacking and hand winding functions and the new model costs about the same as thus model. The lume is very different and this model has incredible lume,42mm case, which in my book is a plus. The 7S36C series movements are extremely robust and reliable. They may not hack or hand wind but they run great with no problems for many years. Finally the band has been mentioned by some as being cheap or not big enough. I find the band to be very well made and extremely durable. For the cost I think it is a great band. All in all if you like military watches with an easy to read dial, excellent night time lume, great case and build quality you simply can't go wrong. I wish they had a black dial model like this one for the same price. I would get that too.
on February 13, 2015
This is a beautiful watch. Paired with a "Bond" style NATO strap, it's an interesting and unique piece that garners a lot of compliments. It is also very well made. This watch wears several hundred dollars more than it actually costs.

So, why only 3 stars? Accuracy. This particular watch gains five MINUTES a day. That is an order of magnitude above what should be expected. It's so bad, in fact, that I feel confident it is an anomaly. In fact, I would return it had I not waited too long. Given the other reviews, I would still recommend this to someone who wants an affordable, attractive field watch. Just be aware that there is the possibility that your watch may be unacceptably inaccurate.
review image
55 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 2013
This watch is a steal for the money. How you can get a durable reliable mechanical watch for this money is amazing. I've had it for about 9 monthes now and have had no issues. It does not hack or manually wind but it charges very easily with wear. I put an aftermarket leather strap on it and get compliments whenever I wear it. It also has the glass caseback which is pretty cool to watch the movement. Highly recommend.
on January 8, 2016
My husband wrote the following review:

I have owned many quartz movement watches. I own hand-wind and solar watches as well. I have always wanted an automatic watch and this one is exactly what I had in mind. When I was shopping, I was specifically looking for a day/date feature because I rely heavily on my watches for the day and date, especially for my job. I was also looking for a watch that was 40mm+ in case diameter. The simplicity and military style is what drew me to this particular watch (and knowing that Seiko is a well-known brand). The watch is very aesthetically pleasing! The luminous hands and numeral markers work way better than I expected! The watch is easy to read all night long without even directly and purposely exposing the watch to light before bed. When you DO purposely expose the watch to light, it is VERY bright. So far it gains approximately 7 seconds per day which is fine with me (as automatic watches are not known for their accuracy). However, 7 seconds per day is not that bad regardless. The watch has a nice weight too it, although not too heavy on the wrist. The canvas band is pretty stiff and does start to rub the wrist, especially underneath. I chose to go with a leather, military style band on mine. Here's the link DASSARI Legend Dark Brown Distressed Vintage Style Bund Leather Watch Band size 22mm 22/20. The new band completes the watch. It is very comfortable now and compliments the watch very well. Overall, this purchase was well worth it!
on December 20, 2012
i like the watch, it takes awhile before it has the date/day routine in there correct and the power reserve doesn't last as long as I would like as I own several watches and like to change up. When I have this one off for a day it stops running so you start over with the day/date thing etc. Still like the idea of watch thaty has actual watchmakers workmanship in it and doesn't need batteries.
on January 15, 2016
Nice automatic watch for about $100 bucks. I like the idea of having an automatic and this is my first. I'm tired of changing batteries on quartz. During the first week I noticed it gained about 2 minutes which seems about par for the course from what I read on automatics. Watch is solid and band is good quality. I plan on adding a Nato strap soon.
review image
on December 30, 2015
Extremely disappointed with the purchase. I am an averaged size adult male and the band is barely long enough to clasp although on Amazon review the length of the strap is listed as "2" which indicates an extra-long strap. Nonsense! I called Seiko and they were of no help. The review of necessity should have included the length of the strap since the 2 length obviously and clearly is meaningless.
on June 25, 2015
Great looking watch! The band is cheap, but not horrible. The function is strange in the fact that you can't wind it manually in addition to the automatic movement, so if it's not on a winder you must move it around quite a bit to start it. The day/date function did not work. When the crown was pulled to the first stop, day/date set without issue. When pulled fully out to the second stop, the time adjusted but the day/date changed every hour. There's also a warning in the manual that states if you set the day/date with the hour hand in a certain range, the watch may break. I heeded the warning, but the watch still didn't function correctly. I don't trust the movement enough to keep this watch.
on January 20, 2016
I used to have a seiko snk 805, which is the little brother if this watch. One if my kids disappeared it, and I decided to upgrade, especially sine the 805 was a bit small. I think both watches have the same movement. Overall, I think this is a pretty good deal.

Pros:
Reasonably accurate for a budget automatic. Mine loses about 45 seconds a week, which is adequate for me.

The see through back lets you see the movement

The lume is the brightest I've seen on an inexpensive watch.

The size and look are about perfect for me

Cons
The date is a hassle to set, since it appears you just have to keep advancing the time to move the date foreward.

It isn't as good of a value as the 805