4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Watch, but "Movement Malaysia"?
Published on July 3, 2012 by a6m5

3.0 out of 5 stars Seiko 5 SNZH55
This is a very nice looking watch. It looks like it cost a lot more than it did. I have been in about 10ft of water with it and no problems at all. Only problem I have with it is the hardlex crystal scratches easy.
Published 22 months ago by VTEC

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Watch, but "Movement Malaysia"?, July 3, 2012
a6m5 (Oregon - USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seiko 5 Sports #SNZH55 Men's Stainless Steel Black Dial 100M Watch (Watch)
Only problem I have with the watch, as noted in the title, it says "Movement Malaysia" right on the back of the watch. For the money, I figured this watch will be either made in Japan, or worst case scenario, "Movement Japan" & cased in China. If I didn't trust the Seiko name, I would have returned this watch. Had I known that this watch was going to be "Movement Malaysia" before I ordered it, I would not have ordered this watch. No offense meant to Malaysia or China. Now moving on to the good.

After I received the watch, after wearing it outside for about 30 minutes on a cloudy afternoon, as soon as I walk in, I notice the luminous marking on the watch looking bright in dim, but not complete dark apartment. I'm no expert, but to me, that was a good sign that this glow-in-the-dark stuff is working well.

I used the 16-piece watch tool kit(also from Amazon) to adjust the band size. Little bit tricky, but definitely not hard. From the case, band, clasp, I'm happy with the quality. It's not a $300-quality watch as the MSRP suggest but Amazon price I think was reasonable. Craftsmanship is solid.

I wanted a simple watch that just had calendar feature, and this watch did deliver. Even setting the time, day, date was extremely easy & simple.

I just got the watch, so I can't comment on its' reliability, obviously. Should anything noteworthy come up, I'll make sure to update this review.

Edit: This is super embarrassing, but I did not know what "automatic" movement was, nor realize that this was a automatic watch when I purchased it. Initially, I thought it was cool, as I no longer needed to change batteries. First weekend after getting this watch, I didn't wear it once. Monday morning, I noticed it said "Sunday", and the time was also off. So to other ignorant wearer like myself, you might want to keep in mind that you have to wear this watch, probably at least every other day, or you have to set the time, day & date whenever you wear it again. It still remains the same four-star watch for me. Been very happy with this one.

P.S. I've been told that Seiko's Malaysia-made movement is proven & very solid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-notch watch not botched!, May 8, 2013
Thought a mechanical might bug me, but the ticking and the hour-in/hour-out wandering of the seconds hands are quite inoffensive. The watch keeps very good time and has run for a couple days on the shelf, indicating the auto-winding mechanism and power reserve are operating in good order. No rattles!

This watch is the basis for a lot of appearance changes; you can customize it yourself or easily source dials, hands, and bezels online for your local jeweler to install.

A great watch right out-of-the-box, and a superb platform for a custom watch project!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent watch, April 30, 2013
Very good watch, looks a bit like a Submariner, or a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. I prefer the "old-school" styling of the SNZH series to many other watches that look more blingy or gaudy, like Invicta or those with fashion brand names. The Seiko 5 series don't seem to be available at department stores like Macy's. Hands and markers glow in the dark brightly after being exposed in sunlight. I also like the ability to change watch bands as well. Easy to read the time at virtually any light conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT WATCH, December 10, 2012
This Seiko is an excelent watch, very accurate, well build, solid. It looks much more expensive than it is. Great Buy!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Seiko 5 SNZH55, September 1, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant Monster, June 29, 2013
Regardless of the Malaysian origin of this watch, Seiko has delivered a solid and weighty Blancpain knockoff that looks and feels outstanding on the wrist. This is an eye catcher. The bezel and dial markers really sparkle in the light yet the size of the case says "don't let that glimmer fool you, I mean business". Only time will tell, how well the movement will hold up, but my experience with Seiko is one of extensive reliability. If you want an Elegant Monster put this at the top of your consideration list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another ridiculously great value from Seiko, July 9, 2014
Classic Seiko sports/dive watch. Almost unbelievably good value, lovely domed mineral glass crystal and display back, 7S36C selfwinding movement. Kind of a Fifty Fathoms vibe without the price tag. Note that this watch doesn't have a screw-down crown and water resistance is 100m, not 200m as in Seiko's automatic diver's watches. Good looking, tough watch for less than dinner for two, what's not to like.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking watch, March 7, 2014
The watch leaked water and there was condensation on the inside of the crystal. I guess the seals were bad... I have never had any trouble with Seiko watches

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice watch, February 25, 2014
The watch was as I expected and wished for. I can't say anything more because I bought it as gift for a relative. But I saw the satisfaction look on his face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and Perfect, July 6, 2013
Sleek, sporty and elegant at the same time. It is a plus that it is water-resistant up to 1,000 feet.

Rate and Discover Movies