Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seiko Sportura Black Dial Black Leather Band Mens Watch
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on September 17, 2011
I usually spend a lot of time reading reviews before a purchase but on this one, it was an impulse buy at the local mall. I have been looking for a casual watch that I can wear with jeans and a polo-T on dress down day; this watch does the trick. It is a sharp looking watch and looks like it's worth a thousand bucks! My daily watch is a Rolex...I think that this piece can give it a run for its money! I bought this watch because of the way it looks but once I got it home and figured out some of the neat features, I love it even more! I love the stopwatch function. It has an alarm that you can set 12 hours before the target time. There is a way to figure out speed using the Tachymeter, but that's way beyond my capabilities. The hands and the dials glow in the dark so you shouldn't have any problem telling the time. The crown screws down like my Rolex and ensure that it is water tight. It is rated to go 10 bars underwater...not sure how deep that is but I wouldn't recommend it since the band is leather. I do like the yellow stiching on the leather band; it matches the yellow on the stopwatch hand. By the way, I purchased it at Macy's. Even with the 10% on top of a 20% sale (9/17/2011), this price on Amazon is over $100 cheaper!! I paid $383 including taxes.

Update 1/2/2012. After owning and wearing this watch for 4 months, I can definitely say that I love this watch. I get a lot of comments and most can't believe that it is a Seiko! I am really happy with this purchase.
1111 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2014
(SEE MY PHOTOS IN THE CUSTOMER IMAGES FOR THIS PRODUCT)

First of all, this is a high quality watch. Seiko is a great brand and I have several of their watches and wall clocks. I have never regretted purchasing one of their products and strongly recommend them to anyone looking for an affordable watch. I have owned this watch for three weeks and worn it nearly every day in that time. Here is my review:

Pros:
- Excellent quality case and sapphire crystal
- Movement is quite precise
- Face is easily readable (black with yellow is great)
- Looks very nice in person
- Chronograph feature performs well
- Size is perfect for me as I have a large wrist

Cons:
- Sharp, pointy corners
- Band is high quality calf leather, but the angle makes it uncomfortable for long wear
- Comfort on this watch is a 3 out of 5 out of the box

After two weeks with this watch I was debating whether I wanted to return it for something else, mostly because it was very uncomfortable to wear for an extended period of time (6+ hours). In fact, I did order several other Seiko watches to compare this one with (Amazon's free return policy on some watches is great). Ultimately every watch I tried on didn't compare to this watch in terms of likability. I wanted to like this watch because I felt it was the best quality watch available at this price.

Looking at my options I decided to purchase a new band for it, and am I ever so happy I did. I went with a 20mm Nylon Loop - Striped Black / Grey Classic Military Style Watch Strap. It makes the watch more comfortable and adds a nice look to it. In addition to this watchband I also purchased a 20mm Premium Silicone Solid Black watchband. Both of these were from the Amazon marketplace retailer Clockwork Synergy. There are several color options available for these bands and they are both high quality.
review image review image
on March 23, 2013
I asked for (and received) this watch for Christmas after seeing an ad in a magazine. Take a look at this watch in person before you buy it. It's a little too big for my taste and it has some crystals / sparkles on the face that make it look kind of cheesy. 10% smaller and a plain face would make this a really nice watch. As is, just OK. Its a fine watch I'm sure, but the lesson learned is to check out a watch in person first - a magazine ad does not tell the whole story.
on December 7, 2011
I bought this Seiko Sportura after seeing it in a magazine being advertized by Landon Donovan and after I got it I was even more impressed its a great looking watch and feels great on my arm, was definately worth the price and I would buy another Seiko again in the future
on August 26, 2012
Seiko's Sportura line are well made watches that are also very good looking. The movement is the 7T62, a tried and true Seiko movement that keeps near perfect time with chrono and alarm functions....... chrono measures up to 60 minutes in 1/5 second increments. I have an older model Seiko with the same movement that I purchased from Amazon 5 years ago, and it runs flawlessly............ even has the original battery in it. A few corrections on the features,the watch does have a Anti-glare sapphire crystal. It is also 42mm in size, and has a screw down crown and back. I typically prefer a 40 or 41mm size (small to average wrist size), but the watch is fairly thin, and doesn't look out of place size wise at all. I will say as one reviewer stated, in certain light the metal squares at the hour locations behind the numbers are very reflective. They have a small luminous square painted on the top of them, but the sides are cut at an angle and are shiney in certain light. All the pictures of the watch are "flat" and do not show this reflection. I love the look of the watch, but I can see how that might turn some off. The fit and finish is first rate, and the watch looks expensive and classy. The look is very close to a Movado that was advertised by a famous NY baseball player a while back, and this Seiko has that look and functionality at a fraction of the price. I can't see paying $1,500 for a quartz watch that has no, or minimal quality improvements over all the $500 retail Swiss(and Seiko)watches out there. If you want a very high quality watch, step up and pay $5,000 and get a nice automatic. All in all, at the price Amazon has this going for now, it's a no brainer in my opinion if you've wanted a watch of this style.
on December 27, 2011
I have been looking for a watch, and have been searching in stores and on amazon. This is one of my favortie watches i saw ONLINE. I went into macys to try it on. Dont get me wrong this is a great looking watch, however what the picture does not show is that this watch has some sparkle to it. I dont mean that its shiny, but its almost glittery in bright light. The metal inlay on the face of the watch almost makes it seem like it has some sort of crystals on it. this may not be a bad thing, its all personal preference. I just personally dont want a sparkly watch. One of those situations where if I saw it on someone else I would toss them a compliment but not something I would wear myself.
on November 19, 2013
This is my first Seiko and first leather band watch. It's a great looking watch that will work in business and casual environments. The face of the watch looks sophisticated yet clean. I wear this to work everyday at a law office and often get compliments. It looks more expensive than the price tag suggests.

Build:
The watch case looks very nice, it's made of stainless steel yet it feels light on the wrist. The black coating on the case and bezel feels very durable; It won't easily scratch or chip off. I also like that the coating is glossy which makes the watch really stand out, especially the bezel. Although the bezel is not rotatable, it does have numbers printed on it that allow you time yourself using the stopwatch. Within the bezel is a highly scratch resistant, sapphire crystal which is usually found in watches several times in price. The words Sapphire Crystal are even imprinted on the bottom of the case, along with other words like Stainless Steel and Water Resistant 10Bar.

The leather band has a light yellow green stitching that closely matches the hour and minute hands. The leather is reinforced near the case which means it feels stiffer near the face of the watch and becomes more flexible as you move down towards the clasp and hole punched ends.

Fit and Comfort:
The band easily accommodates my 7.5" wrist with two more holes to spare and it doesn't constrict when my wrist expands and contracts throughout the day. With my metal band watches, I sometimes get a light imprint left on my wrists at the end of the day.

Power:
When it comes to power, this watch sports a Seiko SR927W battery which lasts about 3 years from the point of installation; it's unfortunate that this watch is not kinetic powered like some of the other Sportura models. If you use the stopwatch or alarm feature, it will also slightly reduce the battery life of the watch.

I'd recommend this watch to anyone.
on June 7, 2013
I have a luxury watch for special events (weddings, funerals, etc.)
I have a sports watch for physical activities (gym, yard work).
I wanted a watch for everyday use. Somewhere between business casual & fitness while having ability to accent overall style and not be a focal point (Not a fan of GIANT watch faces, or BLING BLING). I didn’t need fancy alarm or chronograph features.

Basically, watch is a luxury item; so I feel if I stick with a name brand it’s just about finding the style, and the style is what I will pay for. I didn’t want to spend more than a few hundred dollars. This one caught my eye so I took a chance.

Watch arrived on time with Seiko box, manual & literature. I use the Seiko box (with included watch pillow) for storage. Nice.
Watch looked better in person than in photo. Had some “heft” to it, which made me feel it was a quality product. Felt a little uncomfortable at first, but that’s the leather stretching to your wrist. Uncomfortable feeling went away after about a week (wearing every day). Feels good now (1.5 months later).

Strap and clasp: The calfskin strap and buckle with prong are sturdy & nicely finished. Have worn every day for about 1.5 months & strap/clasp show little to no signs of wear.

Operation : Watch keeps time wll. The stop watch feature functions well & is easy to operate. I haven’t used the alarm feature. The date has to be set upon initial set up & reset at end of months that don’t have 31 days. In the manual & not hard to do, so not a problem for me.

Case: Case resists water pressure to 300 feet, is polished & doesn’t have a glare problem which is wonderful. Seiko website mentioned it’s made with some type of anti-glare glass. Smudges are visible against black tones. But not a big deal, at the end of day I wipe with microfiber cloth (same cleaning materials as for HDTV’s) & it’s good as new & ready for next day. I don’t know if they make anti-smudge materials. I am worried about scratches or scrapes, no physical impacts yet. Hopefully it does well.

Design : Design is nice as the buttons are easy to operate & feel sturdy but do not interfere with wrist movement (once leather strap conforms to your wrist).

Legibility : All hands are easy to read from all angles. Sizes of hands are good & this is enhanced with anti-glare glass. There is also an indigo feature on the tips of the hands the illuminates in low light. I didn’t know this was a feature but was pleasantly surprised. This was something I actually didn’t prefer on a watch. But it looks nice & is not too bright or overpowering. Nice surprise.

Wearing comfort: The watch fits well around the wrist, case is not in the way, strap and clasp do not cause discomfort. Sometimes I forget I am wearing it.

Movement: I don’t know much about mechanics of watches, so I can’t comment intelligently about the inner workings. I overcome this by sticking with name brands.

Overall value: I am happy with purchase. Quality feel & materials. Good price. I feel if I clean & take care of watch it will last a while & retain sophisticated but still fun look. Great Value!!
on October 28, 2014
Still ticking after travelling around the world. Been in salt water, showers, volcanoes, high altitudes, cold temps, hot temps, deep fresh water springs, working on my farm. Yeah its scratched up now and the leather band is trashed but I would expect that with what I put it through. Looked great before my abuse. I understand the leather band is made from baby harp seal, nice!
on February 12, 2015
Great looking watch. Arrived right on time. Unfortunately it was a little too big for my wrist to wear everyday, so I returned it. It was also a little bit too sparkly with the chrome accents on the face. Amazon Prime was great - I got a UPS return label and then a refund notice the day after I shipped it back.