Seinfeld - Seasons One & Two
Format: DVDChange
Price:$22.69+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 19, 2004
It's not often that we in Australia get releases before both the U.S & U.K, but lucky for us on this occasion, both box sets have been released today, October 20, 2004, over a month prior to U.S release.

I'm glad to say that they're everything we've been promised and then some more. the Oz versions are identical to the forthcoming U.S versions with the exception of the covers, which are typically disappointing versions of the U.S ones. (2 Amaray cases in a shoddy slipcase). Apart from that, all the contents are identical.

I won't bother reviewing the episodes as we all are familiar with their brilliance but it's good to finally have unedited versions with no commercial breaks. And the HD remasters are fantastic - not quite as good as the Twin Peaks remasters a few years ago but incredibly impressive.

The bonus extras really do set the benchmark for tv on dvd releases - they're thoroughly, ah, thorough. Most episodes are representing with bonus material - deleted scenes, bloopers, ect.

Can't be bothered writing any more. I'm back to the box......enjoy!
on November 24, 2004
Seinfeld grew to be one of the best comedy shows on TV, but it isn't hard to understand why it originally struggled. During the first two seasons the actors were still trying to define their roles and many of the episodes were slow paced, tended to mope, and the actors often had a whiny dialogue delivery. By the end of season two, and the Chinese Restaurant episode, the characters were getting better and the show was starting to take shape. Probably the best part of this DVD collection is the "Making of Seinfeld" extra. Don't get me wrong, I think Seinfeld is great, but seasons 1 & 2 pale in comparison to the middle and later years of its stay on TV.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 26, 2004
The first DVD set (expected to be released on November 2004) will include the first two seasons, the good news is the extraordinary special features that are included! BUT the bad news is the number of episodes available in this set (only 17 episodes) which represent not more than 10% from the whole Seinfeld series!!

The first episode (Pilot) is entitled "Good news, Bad news", in this episode: "The first scene, Jerry and George are sitting in a restaurant having a discussion on what else? Women!! Laura, someone Jerry met on the road wants to stay with him when she comes to New York, George thinks that she is using Jerry as a contingency plan (Plan B), they continue their discussion in the laundry and they end it up in Jerry's apartment, Kramer (without making his outstanding entrance) comes to borrow some pieces of meat!! The girl calls and asks Jerry if she can stay at his apartment for the night, when she arrives she asks to stay for another night!! Everything comes on Jerry's way, and nothing could get any better, until he receives a phone call from a guy asking for the girl, Jerry hands her the phone to speak to the guy and after she hangs up, Jerry discovers the harsh truth!! the guy on the phone was the girl's fianc?!!"
Comments on this episode (Good news, Bad news):
? For those who watch Seinfeld for the sake of superman, Do not waste your time looking at the refrigerator, because it's simply not there!!
? Elaine didn't appear!
? You will notice that George was very intelligent, smart and has a very logic way of thinking, indeed, all of these gifts that George had starts to deteriorate as time goes by!!

Some may find non-original Seinfeld DVD sets (all 180 episodes of Seinfeld on DVD) through the internet, and my advise is Don't ever think 'bout it!!!, why?
? They're not original!!
? The bad resolution of all these DVDs
? You can play any DVD only for a few times, and after that!! The bad quality of such DVD shows up it's ugly head!!
? Most, if not all episodes (in these DVDs), have a major defect when watching each and every one of them, in which the last 30-45 seconds are simply not there!! Either it has been deleted or not recorded!!
? The only so-called special feature in this DVD set is the blooper DVD! don't get excited?! because there is No sound in this particular DVD!!
? All these DVD sets, no matter where you might get them, have the same origin (same recording source)!!
The bottom line is "Wait, be patient and get the original DVD set from Amazon.com"
VINE VOICEon December 14, 2005
I was one of those naysayers who never "got" Seinfeld's popularity. I'd seen bits and pieces of a few episodes here and there, and what I saw always left me marveling that so many people thought it was the be-all and end-all of television sitcoms. (But I had learned to keep this opinion to myself when outside the bosom of family. I nearly got mobbed in a cafeteria once by a bunch of ravenous Seinfeld fans for saying this out loud, so I keep mum for the most part.)

Finally, I borrowed the first three season DVDs from a friend to give the show one last shot at showing me what it was all about. I figured the least I could do was watch an episode or two in full before writing it off COMPLETELY. But lo and behold . . . I actually *enjoyed* the show. It's HILARIOUS. And futhermore, I finally understand why watching it in bits is useless if you've never seen the episode you're watching. The key to Seinfeld's humor is that the jokes BUILD throughout each episode. Something will be idly mentioned early on, such as the proper way to respond if someone sneezes, and it'll be "hee hee" funny . . . then it'll come up again two acts later, at precisely the perfect time, and be *absolutely hilarious*. If you miss the beginning set-up, then you'll have no idea why everyone else is laughing. Its humor also depends so heavily on character that watching it in bits will never convey to you how funny George is when he's forced to pay for something unless you know how cheap he is, or how funny seeing Kramer find yet another new way to enter the room is, unless you've seen a bunch of others before. The writing is what keeps the show funny, but the characters and the acting performances are what make it truly shine.

I never realized how different from other sitcoms Seinfeld was until I watched the extras. There are tons of them here, and the "Inside Look"s are the best. Ranging from two to five minutes in length, these segments discuss the episode in question and offer tidbits on them. An episode like "The Chinese Restaurant" seems ordinary by today's standards, but Seinfeld SET those standards -- and back then having an episode take place in real time on one set was so revolutionary that the network didn't want them to do it!

My one complaint is a biggie, and it's the main reason I'm taking off a star. The extras, myriad though they may be, are VERY repetitive and often pointless. If you use the "Notes about Nothing" feature, you're treated to everything from behind-the-scenes info to the "Kramer Entrance Counter" (Which is cool -- there's also a counter for sightings of Kramer's stand-in.) to historical factoids about random things mentioned on the show. Some of the notes are interesting, while others seem to have been written for the mentally challenged. And if you use the notes AND listen to the commentary (try it simultaneously for a clearer example) you find that they sometimes give the same information at the same time. The "How It Began" featurette is even more repetitive and actually uses a lot of the same footage they used in the individual Inside Looks, so I recommend watching that first in order to avoid boredom.

Another reason I took a star off is because the show had yet to truly hit its stride. Season 3 was a lot funnier and I'm sure that once I get around to watching seasons 4-9, it will only get better. I'm looking forward to it! This is a great show, and I can't believe I'm even saying that after so many years of turning my nose up. Well my nose is down now, and I'm finally saying what everyone else has known for years -- this is one of the funniest shows that was ever on television.

PS: Another great benefit of seeing this is that now I am deadly determined to get "Curb Your Enthusiasm" on DVD. Seeing Larry David on this show, hearing about him losing his temper and watching the episodes he wrote -- hell, just listening to him TALK -- have convinced me that "Curb Your Enthusiasm" must be like Seinfeld on steroids, with no crazy network censorship and no filtering of David's words through someone else's mouth. I don't expect to be disappointed by that one either, and I look forward to logging many hours of couch time enjoying both it and Seinfeld.

It's a pleasure to be recruited, even this late in the game.
VINE VOICEon May 19, 2005
I love Seinfeld. I think it's an education in people. Often, I relate to their lives. This isnt your cheesy,cosy,feel good show where everything happens for a reason and most things end good. This is Seinfeld. Jerry Seinfeld is the most effective and influencive of stand up comedians. I almost crack up each time looking at his dressing sense but then I understand it's the 90's. His observational skill is second to none. He has a soft corner for Elayne (Julia Dryfus) who's trademark "Get out of here's" leave me laughing.

This show is made for the couch. It is the show to watch with people you don't get along with. Imagine Seinfeld without any adverts and umlimited re-runs at your perusal.

Some of my favourite episodes on the two dvds are -

First Season,
The Stock Tip (recall Kramer's grin at Jerry's Loss)
Male Unbonding (So stupid and simple , it made me laugh)

Please note,all 5 of the first season episodes have something unique about them. Notice the change in Jerry Seinfeld's accent and swiftness.

Second Season,
The Pony Remark (Jerry kills his aunt by a comment)
The Busboy ( makes me smile with paranoid George)
The Baby Shower (A definite classic with the Russain cables guys and cosmo Kramer)

The Jacket (The best episode in both the dvds. This one made me laugh so much I cried. It seems like a 35 minute comedy with all the action)

The Statue (Incredibly funny, interesting new characters)
The Revenge (a classic Seinfeld...v.v.v.funny too)

I think the second DVD contains a lot of episodes they never aired on the cable telivision.Owning these,I feel like a kid who just learnt what 5 bucks can do and later realises he has 200 bucks.
The absolute star of Season 2 are Kramer and Jerry and their association which is quite funny.

I own the third season too but haven't given it a watch.George remains my favourite character owing to his (negative)humanity in general.

Just so you know the following episodes are on the respective DVDS-

First Season - The Seinfeld Chronicles,The Stakeout,The Robbery,Male Unbonding,The Stock Tip

Second Season - The Ex-girlfriend,The pony remark,The Busboy,The baby shower,The Jacket,The Chinese Restaurant,The Phone Message, The Apartment,The Stranded,The Statue,The Heart Attack,The Revenge,The Deal

Please note- The Stranded is hilarious too.

Enjoy Seinfeld.
on July 16, 2002
I strongly encourage Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David to release all 9 seasons with all episodes (do not exclude episodes that are not being shown in syndication). Why is the greatest television show (even TV Guide agrees it's the greatest) not sold on DVD? In message boards such as Bargainflix.com, Seinfeld is the number one requested item to be sold on DVD. There is an untapped market for those who cry out for quality-produced Seinfeld DVDs -- give us our Seinfeld on DVD!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Back in the summer of 1990 a little show aired during the summer entitled THE SEINFELD CHRONICLES. For a summer filler show, it did alright in the ratings and was eventually picked up for a full half season. Eventually the name was shorten to simply SEINFELD and thus began one of the funniest and most inventive comedies of the last quarter of the twentieth-century. The elite and the ignorant alike refer to SEINFELD as being the first television show about nothing. Well, SEINFELD really is about something--it's about everyday life. In some ways, because of how personal Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld made the series, it is in some ways one of the most realistic comedies about life every produced. The show was and always will be pure genius.

Volume 1 off the SEINFELD series offers the 1st and 2nd season of the show. Including the pilot episode, the 1st season only included 5 episodes. However, even in a few of these early episodes, the genius of the show can be seen. In "The Stake Out" George makes the first reference to his dream of being an architect and in "The Robbery" Kramer makes his first big impression when he leaves Jerry's apartment door open while Jerry is on a trip and is robbed.

The 2nd season includes 13 episodes--a full half-season. In "The Chinese Restaurant" Jerry, George, and Elaine spend thirty minutes waiting for a table at a Chinese Restaurant (this is the show the coined the series as being a show "about nothing"). In "The Phone Message" George begins to truly blossom as he leaves a series of nasty phone messages on his new girlfriend's machine because she hasn't returned his calls, only to discover that she has been out of town. In "The Statue" Kramer truly comes into his own as he steals back a statue that a cleaning guy stole from his apartment. In "The Revenge" George is fired for the first time and decides to take revenge on his former employer, while Jerry & Kramer plan to get revenge on the laundry guy for stealing some money. The volume is closed out by "The Deal"--an episode that was originally intended to be the final show in the series.

The DVDs include a plethora of extras. Each disc includes 1 or 2 audio commentaries. These are entitled Yada, Yada, Yada. Unfortunately, I found most of these commentaries rather boring. They don't provide any real new information or insight about the series and really serve as filler and not much more.

Each episode can be played with a feature called Notes About Nothing. This is kind of like a pop-up video feature that pops up various information about the episode throughout he viewing. There's a ton of info there, but at times it's hard to keep up and is almost too much.

About half of all the episodes feature Inside Looks. These are a series of interviews with the cast & crew about a particular episode. I enjoyed these the most of all the extras because they are short and informative.

Other extras include a special introductions to "The Stake Out" and "The Stranded", deleted scenes, special Stand-Up material, bloopers, photo galleries, NBC promos & trailers, a few selected spots from "The Tonight Show", and a documentary entitled "How It Began." Outside of the Inside Looks, I found the documentary and "The Tonight Show" segments to be the best extra features in this set.

Volume 1 of SEINFELD might not be the best episodes of the series, but it is where & how the show began. A great item for any SEINFELD fan or anyone else who wants to see the origins of some classic modern tv.
on November 23, 2003
I just read in Entertainment magazine last night that Seinfeld is scheduled to be released on DVD late next year. That sounds like Christmas time to me? The execs in the article said that it takes a while to get extra footage and stuff to put on the DVDs and that they have to go back in order to go forward. I sure hope this isn't just a tease. I can't wait until the DVDs get released!! This is the BEST show of ALL TIME!
on December 11, 2004
Well now that I have bought the first 2 volums and watched them all, I can say that it is amazing. The sound and picture are great. The 'Notes about Nothing' for every show is very cool, the first time I ever saw this feature. The Kramer vs. Kramer feature was so amazing, no wonder the whole cast loved Michael R. The bloopers are just great, and there are lots of them. Alot of the shows have introduction about specific shows told by the cast and production team, on how the story came about or things that happened when shooting, which is another great feature. And finally the commentaries are great. Oh yes, the fact that it is original length episodes is another great feature, it is amazing to see how much TV cuts from the reruns today. Looking forward to season 4 and up.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
If you're a Seinfeld fan, there is no reason NOT to own this on DVD. The quality of the picture in this DVD is superb and there are great bonus features. Best of all, the price for both seasons together are a bargain at around $30. Compare that to the Star Trek TV series on DVD. Each of those seasons alone retail for $100 a piece. So for less than the price of season one of Star Trek, you could get seasons 1,2, and 3 of Seinfeld.

With all the Seinfeld fans in the world, you know that they could have made this DVD set a lot more expensive and people would still buy it... but they didn't, and I thank whoever was responsible for setting the price!