5.0 out of 5 stars Great for winter running
Seirus makes quality products, and this is no exception.

This balaclava is made out of the same plush fleece as the Seirus Neck-up (which I have reviewed on Amazon), which means the fabric is very soft and will not irritate your skin, and is also warm and breathable.

Published on January 1, 2010 by Stephen M. Charme

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't cover mouth
I bought this to use on my bike commute in MI. They advertised that it could be used in a variety of ways, but I can't use it to cover my mouth when my helmet is on because it leaves the neck uncovered. Works fine in the "open face" mode, I just have to wear a scarf or something to cover my mouth.
Published on February 6, 2010 by RnLnC

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for winter running, January 1, 2010
Seirus makes quality products, and this is no exception.

For winter running in the Northeast, this balaclava works great. It takes the place of three items--hat, ear warmers and neckwarmer (though sometimes I prefer to use separate items depending on the temperature). The fleece keeps me warm even in subfreezing temperatures, and in really bitter cold weather (when the wind chill gives a "real feel" of close to zero), I can easily pull the hood of a jacket over this balaclava to stay extra warm. Also, I have run with 25 MPH winds blowing into my face and a real feel of zero, and my face and ears still stay warm with this product. Of course I do pull this over my mouth and nose in bitter cold weather, and it easily stays in place even with vigorous running.

Although this fits snugly over my ears, I am still able to wear my earbuds comfortably so that I can listen to music when I run, and the snug fit keeps the earbuds from loosening up or falling out, as sometimes happens when I just wear a hat.

IMPORTANT: This product comes in three sizes, but it runs very small. I usually wear a medium hat, but had to return the small/medium and ordered the large/extra large, which to me feels just right and not large at all. Therefore, unless you have a really small head, I suggest that you order the largest size. The small/medium was painful to pull up over my nose because it pressed so tight, and generally felt uncomfortable.

Bottom line: This is a quality product that works well to keep you warm in the winter when running. I recommend it.

Update Jan. 9, 2010: I recently purchased the Seirus Ultra Clava (which I have reviewed on Amazon) for activities like skiing and snowshoeing, though you can also use it for running. It costs twice as much as this product, but is warmer because it has a windproof exterior shell. However, I prefer this product for running because it does not have any vent holes (and therefore all the air I breathe in is warmed ), though that is a matter of personal preference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Baklava lava Dessert, December 23, 2010
I bought the Balaclava for riding a bike in the winter.

I have an average size head and it was so tight. It's small so if you need it to look back constantly on a bike in Winter, it will not work well. The face hole is too small so if you wear glasses, Winter Bicycle Eyewear or safety glasses, it's a tough fit.

Quality is not bad.

If your head is bigger than a watermelon, or if you have a brainiac type skull, have a hippy length hair, or tumors on your neck/head, forget it.

Material is very soft like a hamster's belly fur.

Overpriced but if you ride a bike in the winter in Siberia like me, you need this since wearing underpants on your head doesn't really block out cold snow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, January 28, 2009
This review is from: Seirus Innovation Balaclava (Apparel)
I can't think of even one drawback of this balaclava. It is very stretchy so it can be worn a variety of ways.

It is a brushed fleece that breathes reasonably well. I use it for cold weather (30 degrees Fahrenheit to 45) running and it is fine for that. For extreme cold weather I don't think this one would be warm enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars great addition, April 10, 2009
This review is from: Seirus Innovation Balaclava (Apparel)
I had been using a cheap ski mask before I got this, and this is a great, somewhat inexpensive improvement. It's not itchy, or too hot, or too cold. Works great in Seattle's rainy environment, but not sure in colder weather. Really soft like fleece. Get it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Way too tight on head, January 3, 2013
William Evins (Arlington Heights, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seirus Innovation Balaclava (Apparel)
I agree with Criss' review that this is too tight on the head. I have a very normal sized adult head and this just presses way to much all over, in other words quite uncomfortable. Additionally the material is quite thin, much thinner than I would have expected to shield the head from cold. Complete waste of money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't cover mouth, February 6, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Very warm and high quality., December 21, 2009
This is a thick balaclava, so it will work for very cold temperatures (by Texas' standards), is comfortable, looks nice and is well made. I have a thinner one when it's not so cold and cost me half as much. If I had a choice of one or the other though, I would go with the Seirus Innovation because of how well made it is.

2.0 out of 5 stars head vise, November 30, 2012
This review is from: Seirus Innovation Balaclava (Apparel)
If you have any size head but a pea head this goes on with difficulty and fits very tight. Odor isn't pleasant either. Returned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Baklava lava Dessert, December 18, 2012
This review is from: Seirus Innovation Balaclava (Apparel)
I bought the Balaclava for riding a bike in the winter.

Quality is not bad.

Material is very soft like a hamster's belly fur.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm headwear!, May 18, 2012
This review is from: Seirus Innovation Balaclava (Apparel)
I purchased this at the same time I bought the Seirus Shorty gloves. Extremely warm, in fact our winter was so mild that I only got to use it twice. Works very well as a base layer under a cycling helmet or a ball cap when you need a visor from the sun in the winter when walking the dogs (this is a great feature). I never liked stretching a stocking cap over my ball cap and this solves that problem. Snugness makes it perfect for cycling, use a neoprene or corded keeper strap on your sunglasses snugged up tight so you can wear them over it to keep the wind out, and very good for hiking. I'm cold natured and I actually had to take it off a couple of times walking because of perspiration. A quality item.

ARRAY(0x9a3e71ec)

Seirus Innovation Balaclava(Black,  Large/X-Large)
$20.99 $13.59