5.0 out of 5 stars Best in the series to date!!!!!
In the world of Sherrilyn Kenyon being a Dark-Hunter means that you are a soulless immortal being who is hunting the vampires the patrol the night to steal the human souls. Valerius "Val" Magnus isn't a popular Dark-Hunter, he's a Roman, which means that the largely Greek Hunters have a major grudge hatred against him. He is also very conscious of his "background and...
Published on December 30, 2004 by Tanya L. Schaub

2.0 out of 5 stars Shelved until a later time
This is the first (and most likely only) Sherrilyn Kenyon book I've read. The premise sounded interesting, given that I'm an Anne Rice fan (mostly her early Lestat and Lasher books).

This is book 7 of a series on immortal Dark-Hunters who hunt vampires. This book centers on Tabitha and Valerius. Tabitha is a human who hunts vampires and it's during one of her...
Published on July 7, 2008 by Jessica Lee

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars When opposites attract, you're in for a hot romance! - 4.5 stars, December 28, 2005
In the Greco-Roman era, there lived a man of regal birth, supreme Roman general who led his army into several victories. And bearing the same name as that of his grandfather's, his name struck fear and hate. Yet their name was the only common thing they shared; for while his grandfather was one of the cruelest men who ever lived in that era, Valerius Marcus possessed a kind heart, something that no one really knew. And it was that kindness that led to the murder of the only woman he ever loved, and ultimately his own in the hands of his own family who thought him weak and unworthy. And with that act of betrayal came the birth of another Dark-Hunter, a league of soldiers sent out by the goddess Artemis to save the world.

Two thousand years later and we see Valerius in New Orleans, still alone and guilt-ridden for the death of Agrippina. But if he thought that the Fates have completely abandoned him, he's in for a big shock, one in the form of a vampire-slaying woman - Tabitha Deveraux. And if there were two people who couldn't be more different than night and day, they are they.

When Valerius stumbles into a fight between Tabitha and several Daimons, he tries to help her but ends up hurt. And although Tabitha knows that Valerius is her brother-in-law Kyrian's mortal enemy, she feels honor-bound to save him. And there starts the problem for them. Unused to kindness from anyone including his fellow Dark-Hunters, Valerius couldn't come to grips with Tabitha's kindness. He is also surprised to find himself fascinated with what he considers as the strangest woman ever born, what with her tackiness, brazenness and seeming lack of fear. As for Tabitha, she is shocked to find that Valerius seems totally different from what she's heard about him. And being an empath, she knows and feels that there is something more to him, and it does show in his tenderness towards her. But with her growing attraction to him comes the guilt that she's betraying her family. Well, as they say, love conquers all. And what a delicious way to conquer everything!

SEIZE THE NIGHT is another exciting read from the highly imaginative Dark-Hunter series. It was good to finally read Valerius's story and find out the truth about him. When I first read of him in NIGHT EMBRACE, I absolutely hated him because of what I thought he did to Kyrian, so I was glad to find out that he was innocent of everything he was accused of, and sad to read the agony he went through as a human and also as a Dark-Hunter. The betrayal by his own family and the rejection from his fellow hunters who all had the wrong notion about him are clearly felt as we read of his inner sadness. Then while one would think that Tabitha's prim and proper twin would be more suited to him, it is what makes this story delightful seeing how they get on, for while Valerius is the epitome of sophistication and noble breeding, Tabitha is just plain tacky and uncouth in comparison. What a joy it was to see them together!

With its usual fast-paced and action-packed storyline, not to mention Kenyon's wry humor, SEIZE THE NIGHT continues to whet my appetite for more. And by telling us a bit more about Acheron's identity, it's almost like the author is teasing us and leaves us wanting more and hanging on for Acheron's own story.

Ms Kenyon, please keep them coming.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampires, April 8, 2005
The RAWSISTAZ Reviewers (RAWSISTAZ.com and BlackBookReviews.net) - See all my reviews
Tabitha Devereaux, raised in a large family of girls, has always been somewhat different and has done whatever it takes to stand out. Being so daring and adventurous, she decides to become a vampire hunter. She doesn't fear man, beast or Daimon. Daimons are vampires who covet the souls of mortals. Her chosen task is not without risk or pain; she has lost several friends due to fearlessness. One night, while on patrol for the dregs of society, she inadvertently attacks Valerius Magnus, a Dark-Hunter. Dark-Hunters are the protectors of mortals against the evil Daimons.

Valerius is hated by the other Dark-Hunters due to misconceptions and lies. He has a sad and painful past which he keeps locked up inside of his immortal heart. After meeting Tabitha, he believes he has found his soulmate because she sees who he really is, and he wouldn't have to be alone anymore. Though they both fight their attraction for each other, they begin to fall in love. But who said love is easy? Tabitha's brother-in-law is Valerius's arch enemy. Can love tear a family apart? Will the Daimons one day get the best of the brave Tabitha? Will their love survive?

SEIZE THE NIGHT by Sherrilyn Kenyon is an intense, suspenseful romance with vampirism thrown into the mix. I loved the two main characters in the story. Tabitha is a great example of what strong women should be like. She is a fearless woman but love still made her weak in the knees. And Valerius, for all of his toughness, was just screaming out for compassion. Ms. Kenyon is a wonderful storyteller who pulls readers in and doesn't release them until the last page is turned. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more books in the Dark-Hunter series.

Reviewed by Simone A. Hawks

of The RAWSISTAZ™ Reviewers

5.0 out of 5 stars Well...Duh, Of Course It's A Five Star Review... It's SK!!!, February 1, 2005
First off let me say that I've been reading this series in order from the very first book and each story gets better and better. Why do you ask? Simple this is a complex world that Ms. Kenyon has created and as a result each book is a small "episode" in the big picture. We learn a little more about the characters (both new and past characters), learn a little more about the legend, and of course there is always the romance!!! *SIGH*

In this story we are treated to Valerius Magnus. We have been introduced to him in several of Ms. Kenyon's other DH stories...a more unlikable charcter I never thought to read about (okay I thought the same about Zarek and was wrong) so because I'm a loyal fan I picked up her latest. Silly me...I had nothing to worry about. We truly get to know Valerius and what makes him tick. His story (without getting into details that would spoil it for other readers) is fast paced and...well, great. Tabitha is a very strong character (again we met her in earlier DH stories and she is the twin of Amanda) but at the same time amazingly sweet and understanding. Just the kind of person Valerius needs in his cynical life. Of course the path to true love is never smooth and this is the case for these two lovers.

I highly look forward to the next in the series and know that it will be as good if perhaps not better than the previous titles. A warning to new readers...this really is a series that builds on it's self. In order to understand all of the little twist and turns it's helpful to have read all of the previous titles. Still this is not a book you want to avoid if have not already read the first six books. This story is still a good stand alone read. If anything it will have readers looking for Ms. Kenyon's backlist.

For a fun and entertaining paranormal/vampire read I highly recommend Ms. Kenyon and her Dark-Hunter series!

Official Reviewer for [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars A complex mythology, a good romance, August 21, 2006
Sherrilyn Kenyon also writes as Kinley MacGregor. Had I known this, I would have sought out Kenyon's novels earlier, being a fan of MacGregor.

If you haven't ever read a Kenyon/MacGregor novel you need to know that her writing style isn't polished and proper. She has a choppy, "get it done" style of writing which doesn't bother me all that much but it is different from the style I usually enjoy (exemplified by Julia Quinn). It's most evident in her dialog. In this novel, an argument between the heroine and her sister ends so abruptly it's jarring.

This is the first of Kenyon's novels I've read, and one in a series about Dark-Hunters, an army of undead vampire hunters. Although Kenyon's writing style has problems, her plots and backstory do not. She has created a complex world with a vast mythology and interesting character stories. I'm now eager to explore the rest of the novels to learn more.

This particular book focuses on the hero Valerius and the heroine Tabitha. Tabitha struck me initially as a little too flighty in her attractions (just about every male introduced in the book is described by her as being edible they're so sexy).

Valerius is no exception, and you'll get tired of hearing about how he is perfectly handsome and alluring. But the chemistry between them is good and made me more forgiving toward her.

Valerius is a stick in the mud, albeit a handsome, well dressed one. He remains reserved throughout the novel and even though I liked him, I never really fell in love with him.

I was more intrigued by a secondary character, Acheron, whose story I'll be on the lookout for.

I can't help but wonder if reading the series in order would have been better than starting with a novel in the middle. I'm sure at the very least I wouldn't have spent so much time trying to figure out the mythos of the universe and been better able to focus on the story of the two main characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another solid book in the Dark-Hunter series, January 4, 2005
Sherrilyn Kenyon continues her popular Dark-Hunter series with Seize the Night and true to form, she provides another thrilling, sexy read in our favorite sultry city. Valerius Magnus is an outsider amongst his fellow Dark-Hunters. His Roman background gives many of the Greek Hunters a reason to sneer at him, his own squire disrespects him and to top it all off, Artemis has reassigned him from DC to New Orleans, where Kyrian of Thrace and Julian of Macedon live and could be the President and Vice-President of the `we hate Valerius" club. To make matters worse, Valerius is haughty and cold to those around him and nobody has ever gotten past his aristocratic walls...until Tabitha Devereaux.

Tabitha doesn't understand why the Dark-Hunters all snub Valerius. Sure he walks like he has a stick someplace uncomfortable and he has an irritating habit of looking down his aristocratic nose at most people and things, but surely that's not a good reason to hate him. Tabitha knows one thing, Val is an incredible Daimon killer and to her that's important. She patrols nightly to try and help keep the Daimon population to a minimum. One thing is for sure. It's going to be a messy situation when her sister, Amanda and her husband, Kyrian find out Val is her new hunting partner. Kyrian has never gotten over the fact that it was Valerius' grandfather who tortured and crucified him. But maybe it's time for bygones to be bygones, especially when Desiderius is back and he won't stop until he has destroyed all that Tabitha holds dear.

Kenyon has written another masterful story that completely immerses you in the Dark-Hunter mythos. The Dark-Hunter world is fascinating and her characters are so real they could easily walk right out of the story. Valerius is beautiful, cold, lonely and wounded. He makes a wonderful hero, as he has always been punished for trying to help others and Tabitha is an outrageous and flawed heroine that is just the right balance for him. As usual, Kenyon weaves extremely erotic and emotional scenes into her story and is able to evoke laughter and tears within pages of each other. For me, turning the last page is sad, as I know it will be several more months before I can engross myself in the DH world again...of course there is always her wonderful Dark-Hunter website for an occasional fix. Seize the Night is a must have for your next book shopping list and while you are at it, pre-order Sins of the Night!! --Shelly Tavenner for [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Series is getting better and better, December 29, 2004
I have enjoyed the other books in this series so much that I bought this book the day it came out and then stayed up all night reading it. I loved it! Val and Tabitha are excellent characters and the themes running through their developing relationship are universal and well developed. I also applaud Ms. Kenyon's development of Ash. With every book he becomes more three dimensional and we better understand the staggering burden he carries. How bold of the author to show that actions have consequences that not even a "god" can undo and that things said/done in anger can not be taken back.

The author is getting better and better with each book in the series. She takes real chances with her characters, resists the urge to vear into "preciousness" with the dialoge and with every book deepens the Dark-Hunter world and the rules governing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, June 27, 2009
JC (California) - See all my reviews
I liked this book which paired Tabitha (twin sister of Amanda from Book 2) with Valerius (the descendent of the man who killed Kyrian, Amanda's husband from Book 2). If you are reading them in order, I wont go into the back story that got us here to book 7 and simply state that I liked this book! People died in this book and unlike some of the others, no big red bow at the end. One of the characters said in the aftermath of the climax of the story, "I'm not so sure we're the ones that won this time around." You felt that in this book. People died while others lives were altered forever. Acheron was shown to be flawed. I felt this book moved past just an erotic romance novel and delved deeper into the Dark Hunter mythology. It was a longer read them some of the other books but I found it hard to put it down. Good job!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Job Well Done!!!, October 13, 2005
I was so suprised to find this book better then I expected it to be. I could not put it down, it made cry, laugh, and it was filled with tons of passion that you wouldn't believe. Sherrilyn Kenyon does a wonderful job of developing her character and setting the mood. I never imagined myself reading these types of books, but thanks to Kenyon I have now read all her Dark-Hunter Novels. I suggest you read one of her books, you might be suprised how hard it will be to put down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasure and Pain, August 20, 2005
This was a great story, delving into the history of Valerius, enemy to Kyrian of Thrace and Zarek the slave. What a sincere expression of how someone can be so hated by so many people and loved by the most unlikely hero in the form of a woman. Tabitha, the vampire slayer, the great personality, the confident, and the comic relief meets her match in a man she should hate but falls hopelessly in love with. There's nothing mooshy about it. She's still a butt kicking, vampire smacking, tough chick. Some of the scenes in here had me rolling because she is so "real" in her personality, truly an engaging character and the only match to save Valerius from himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Reads So Far for 2005, February 19, 2005
What a sensational reading experience. I didn't want it to end.

I loved the man Valerius was and I ached for all that he experienced in his human life which overflowed into his dark hunter existence. I always knew there was more this dark hunter than was previously mentioned in the earlier novels.

It's pretty obvious he met his match when it ran into Tabitha. Talk about two people who deserved each, my mind is still sizzling from their interactions.

Ms. Kenyon just keeps better with each novel she releases. I don't know how she keeps surpassing the previous novels she written but she does. I hate when I finish her novels so quickly as the wait for the next one is excruciating.

I also loved getting a glimpse into Ash's other life and I can't wait to see what's next. Ms. Kenyon keep on doing what you do so well!!!

I can admit it; I'm addicted to Ms. Kenyon's novels.

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›