Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Selected Odes of Pablo Neruda (Latin American Literature and Culture)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

100%
Format: Paperback|Change

on June 5, 2015
Odes for the everyday person about everyday things: artichokes, thread, chestnuts... The one that I bought the book for was "Ode to My Socks" - marvelous! I'll never feel the same about socks again. I also really enjoy the format with the original Spanish on one side of the page and the line-by-line English translation on the other, so you can enjoy it equally well in either language or both!
on January 6, 2013
This book is an excellent selection from Pablo Neruda's 3 volumes of odes, very well translated by Margaret Sayers Peden, who also provides a concise introduction to her philosophy of translation. The statistics on the numbers of odes from each volume is as follows:

"Elemental Odes" = 28
"New Elemental Odes" = 13
"Third Book of Odes" = 26

What is also very nice about this volume is that Neruda's originals and Peden's translations are on facing pages, so that you can directly compare them and judge for yourself how well she has done, if you read Spanish. Speaking just for myself, I admit that I do not read Spanish, so I cannot fully judge how well Peden has done her translations. But on their own terms in English, I found the texts to be splendid.

If you want to dip your toes in the poetry of Neruda, this volume makes an excellent place to begin.
on January 6, 1998
this one is a good choice. I particularly like his ode to my suit.