Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Selected Poems (Penguin Classics)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 1, 2006
This is the best volume you'll find of the poetry of the great Bobby Burns (1759-1796). What's so great about this guy is that his poetry is never really sad or whiny like, well just about everybody else, but his poetry is really happy and merry; just a song you sing while drinking scotch. Another thing is that Burns is just the voice of Scotland. His poems in the Scottish dialect are nothing short of delightful like one of my favorites of his, A Red, Red Rose

Oh my luve is like a red, red rose ,

That's newly sprung in June

Oh my luve is like a melodie

That's sweetly played in tune

As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,

So deep in luve am I,

And I will luve thee still, my dear,

Till a' the seas gang dry.

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,

And the rocks melt wi' the sun!

And I will love thee still, my dear,

While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only luve,

And fare thee weel awile!

And I will come again, my luve,

Though it were ten thousand mile!
on March 27, 2015
Read a few poems in school. Almost 40 years ago. The nostalgia was overwhelming as I read these poems recently on my Kindle. Brought back fond memories of my English teacher too. These poems are evergreen. I read some of them more than a few times.
on January 19, 2007
Sure, most Robert Burns poems are on the `Net. Sure, we can look them up, print them out, and then recycle them. But what if you are at home, with no computer on, or in the park, or in a bus or train or plane? This is a smooth, slim, handsome volume, with a purple picture of a thistle on the cover and a ribbon placeholder inside. This is a book of poems for the ages--familiar, resonant, humorous, and ready.
on August 5, 2000
Robert Burns was and still is the greatest Scottish poet to ever live. This book takes you deep inside the mind of the Scots and makes you feel like one yourself. A perfect selection of literature, it is sure to be among your favorite bedside books. Buy it!!!
on March 25, 2014
You too can understand Robert Burns poetry with this book. There is a dictionary of Scottish dialect in the back and another section giving background or discussion of most of the poems. Enjoy!
on February 23, 2014
A good collection of Burns works with notes in the back. The glossary is also in the back as opposed to other editions I have seen where words are translated in the same page margin.
on September 11, 2013
This Burns compilation is excellent; however, I did not receive the green penguin edition displayed on the product page. This always seems to happen.
on January 7, 2014
Very nice selection of Burns' poems showing a wide range of topics and forms. Good for an introductory or review course.
HALL OF FAMEon November 10, 2005
Burns is a legendary lyric poet whose Scots verses inspired Wordsworth and Coleridge. A number of his poems and songs, "Auld Lang Syne" " To a Mousie" "Tam O'Shanter" " A man's a man for a that" are among the most well- known in the language.
Burns bright star burned briefly, and his life was filled with passionate and romantic loves about which he wrote some of his greatest poems. " My love is like a red red rose" is perhaps the most well-known of these.
In brief lines he expressed a great range of feeling, from satirical to humorous to tender and loving.
Here are the concluding verses of one of his signature poems, "To a Mousie"
But Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best-laid schemes o mice an men
Gang aft agley,
An lea'e us nought but grief an pain,
For promis'd joy!

Still thou art blest, compar'd wi me!
The present only toucheth thee:
But och! I backward cast my e'e,
On prospects drear!
An forward, tho I canna see,
I guess an fear!

While this edition includes the poems Burns is most well- known for it does not include the glossary or dictionary which would help most readers understand Burns' Scots terms. Any future edition of the poems would be improved by such a glossary.
on February 1, 2016