5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guide to Self Improvement
Well, Self Analysis and I are old buddies going back about thirty years. There are so many principles that I had forgotten about or had re-discovered in reading the book and doing the exercises.

Published on April 26, 2009 by Scotman's Critic's Corner

1.0 out of 5 stars hate it
I made a very bad choice! You can't read and use it by yourself, you need to get a instructor to help you, so why is it called self analysis?
Published 6 months ago by alina melkonyan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guide to Self Improvement, April 26, 2009
This review is from: Self Analysis (English) (Paperback)

Hubbard's Science of Survival emphasized concentrating on the pleasure moments in the person and in yourself. In Self Analysis, he gives the way of doing that. Going over the various kinds of recall, such as imagination, general incidents and such to better know ourselves was really a treat to read about and to remember.

The chapter on "On Our Efforts of Immortality" was very interesting as he describes life force as another kind of energy and its purposes and he echoes what he talked about in SOS - that life must procure pleasure and avoid pain. Good advice!

Another principle I enjoyed was the concept that many of our fears are really merely shadows and like the natives who catch fish with shadows, we usually mock up or others mock up these flimsy traps for us. All we really have to do is disagree and get some auditing.

Also the book helped rehabilitate what I liked about Self Analysis and its simple yet effective technique in bringing people up and not having to live with their painful or sorrowful memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Here's how you can improve yourself all by yourself, January 30, 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Self Analysis (Hardcover)
What I really liked about this book was that it wasn't a lot of jibberish designed to make your head swim. Just very short chapters followed by practical actions you can do in your own home. Want to improve your emotional tone? Want to improve your memory? Want to feel and be more alive? This is the book to read and use. It changed my life for the better, for good

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Philosophy, Bad Religion? But..., May 1, 2009
D.R.Thomas (In The Grid, Just Like You) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Self Analysis (Hardcover)
...are they not all bad religions and good philosophies?

This is my second Hubbard book and I have still yet to find why the masses attempts to defame him. What is with the media and the ignorant masses?! In actuality, Hubbard's philosophy is quite profound and invigorating. Scientology itself is not for me, I am an atheist/transhumanist, I am just a lover of all works of philosophy. From Hubbard trying to reel people into Scientology, likewise with the Scientologists themselves, is probably what has misrepresented Hubbard's literary work, just as Christians have that of Jesus, although he was probably illiterate which is why people had to scirbe for him. Religion is truly the spoiler here of some great philosophies on life and existence.

This may sound cliché, but this book has done wonders for me. I am not spiritual or religious, but I am a supporter of synchronicity. Before and during the time I was reading this book I was going through some introspective issues, and with little success at finding out what was wrong with me. Then when I arrived at pg. 35, sure enough I found my answer. I am not saying this will be the same experience for everyone, but this aided me greatly. As I continued I began to receive more and more information about my personal issues that were identified in the explanation of various thematic issues.

The book itself is really short due to the bulk of it actually being questions related to introspection exercises. As far as the technique goes, I questioned it at first, but after practicing a nominal amount I really felt relief. Needless to say, if one had the discipline and time to do this everyday it would work. These exercises even calibrate your patience and I think it is an essential tool for anyone with a short fuse. I also agree with Hubbard that having a lucid account of memories will aid the psyche in an auspicious way.

From this book I have come to view emotions (perceptics) and money differently. Not to mention, his perspective on memories as objects, energy, space and time is quite novel as well. Hubbard never ceases to amaze me with his out of the box thinking that most naysayers try to pass off as pseudoscientific propaganda for the occult.

As far as disagreements go, on pg. 28 paragraph 3 Hubbard asks whether it is terrible to part with your "psychosomatic" illnesses, I say yes. Part of those are embedded in the depths of your psyche and make up the individual you are, I exhort not to part with them, but to culture them and ameliorate those into more prudent behaviors, never attempt to erase any part of your psyche or you will elicit madness. Another aversion I have to this particular book is that Hubbard admonishes throughout the book in several areas to "seek a Dianetic Auditor" to aid you with your troubles, which is an obvious ploy to hook the reader and reel them into Scientology. There is a pretty comical ploy at the bottom of pg. 305, absolutely hilarious!

Overall, the ontology stands as an essential read for those who love philosophy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strengthen Your Memory, February 6, 2009
Tim Burton "tmbrtn" (Memphis, TN-United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Self Analysis (English) (Paperback)
This book contains the best memory exercises there are. I have looked at many other memory enhancement courses and books but this is the best.
The exercises are simple and easy to understand. About 60% of the book are lists of things to remember and each item in a list is matched to sensory perceptions. For example: Recall a time you had a holiday and match it to smell. You might get the smell of turkey in the oven or maybe apple pie. 30 or 40 minutes a day works great to improve your outlook on life and enhance your memory. Simple, but it works.
I owned this book in 1986 but lost it in a move. I am very pleased that I was able to find a copy of this book on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun to Do!, May 4, 2010
This review is from: Self Analysis (Hardcover)
This book is almost all exercises that get you to take a look at incidents in your life. I found it to be fun and also surprised me at how many things I remembered that I had completely forgotten. Most of us have a "set" of memories that we keep or reflect on... after you do these exercises, let's just say you will have hundreds more than you had before.

I can see how this would be therapeutic for almost anyone, and especially those who are interested in having as much of their memory and awareness functioning! I have never found a time when I didn't have the use for a few extra IQ points or insight.

My recommendation is to read it and then do the exercises. They are fun and enlightening. It is an interesting "take" to call the book Self Analysis, as when you are done with the lists, you do have a much more thorough understanding about yourself, your life, and how it has taken the twists and turns it has. So I consider that this is a very valid therapy with an accurate title. Doing something about the situation is so much more effective than just talking about it.

If you try it I am pretty well certain you will find it extremely valuable. You'll find yourself cheerful for no reason other than you are alive and experiencing life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A most excellant tool in self help!, November 21, 2010
This review is from: Self Analysis (Audio CD)
L. Ron Hubbard's work has been much maligned, but after listening to the audio version of Self Analysis I am convinced that his has been extremely important work for humanity. Anyone can pick up this audio book and listen and follow its directions. The reward came immediately for me, my husband and our daughter who lives several thousand miles away, for whom we bought a copy. I recommend that if you are trying to understand what makes you tick and how to find and use your strengths and correct your weaknesses, get this book and use it. It will serve you well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeling Better About Others and Myself, July 1, 2008
This review is from: Self Analysis (Hardcover)
I've been a student of Mr. Hubbard's work for thirty years and just recently I completed an "extension course" on this book.

This book provided me with very simple to understand and apply steps that help to take attention off of the negatives of life.

After a dose of the nightly news or after a few minutes of reading the paper a person can feel pretty down. Add to this life's failures, injuries, illnesses, nagging relatives, etc. and all the ingredients are there for a person to feel pretty low.

Well, reading and understanding this book gives a simple series of steps that help one to get attention on to what's right about life.

You don't need to do an extension course to understand and apply it to yourself and your friends. However, if you want to take that route there are some simple instructions in to book (or you can go to [...]

Have fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting., April 22, 2013
John Sweetman (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Self Analysis (English) (Paperback)
Excellent memory exercises and a thoroughly interesting read. Found the exercises relaxing and the quality and presentation of the book to be top class. Highly recommended, and not just for students of Scientology.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book!, July 10, 2010
This review is from: Self Analysis (Hardcover)
This book is an amazing work, I highly recommend it to everyone. There are many who nay say and slam Dr. Hubbard and his work, they are the same nut jobs who are anti-christian, anti-catholic, atheistic monkey descendents who still believe that people came from the goo to you... There is a joke about Psychoanalysis that is appropriate, how many Psychologists does it take to change a light bulb... one, but it really has to want to change - this is the same thing, if you want it to help you then it will, if you want to just laugh at the material and continue the way you are, it will let you do that too... the real difference between Dianetics or Scientology and Psychology is that there are real solutions and workable axioms in Dianetics and Scientology where psychology is a maintenance program where people stay the way they are but cope, rather than getting better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Embodiment of "Self-Help", May 15, 2010
This review is from: Self Analysis (Hardcover)
If you're interested in "Self-Help", this is it right here. This book has two parts: data and exercises. The way that it's structured, you read a bunch of data about the mind from Hubbard, and then you do a series of exercises that are in the book that help you apply the data you just learned to yourself.

It's all memory exercises, no weird procedures. All you do is remember certain things that have happened to you in your life at the direction of the author. There's no weird "psychological" B.S. like "now imagine all of your troubles are floating in a little bubble." I've never seen that type of thing help anyone.

By remembering more and more of your life, you're ABLE to remember even more. And since almost everything you remember in the exercises is a pleasurable experience, it tends to make you really happy.

When I have a really, really bad day, I can forget that there's really good, awesome things in life, too. Well, if you're having a bad week, month, year or life, you can forget there was EVER anything good about your existence. The drills help you remember the good things that have happened to you and the good things you've done.

What that did for ME (not saying this is the case for everyone) was made me realize that I can make good things happen again, and that good things will happen to me again. It made me a lot more hopeful, a lot happier, and made me feel in control of myself.

Also, I learned more about WHY I did certain things that I didn't necessarily want to do, and that's when I realized what the title of this book comes from.

The drills in this book are awesome. I would recommend that you get the book and do them. This hardcover edition is pretty good - I found the softcover (ring-bound) edition even better for doing the exercises with. That edition is here:

Self Analysis (English)

Both of them are the corrected 2007 edition that reflects the actual original manuscript by Hubbard. Don't get the earlier editions because, in addition to being way less professional and attractive, they have alterations from the original material.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Self Analysis (English)
Self Analysis (English) by L. Ron Hubbard (Paperback - November 1, 2007)
$15.00 $11.73