5.0 out of 5 stars Worth its weight in Platinum!
This unassuming book features big bold type, tacky clip-art, very brief chapters, and an expensive price. I knew the reviews were very positive but I did not have high expectations.

Published on February 15, 2007 by T. Quinn

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read
This book is useful to get you started although it has no fool proof "system" to get things done. The two most useful parts for me were:

1. Expanding the limits for what to get done after having read David Allen's GTD.
2. The exercises were all useful and interesting to me, although they were not all about self discipline per se.

If you are into...
Published on April 9, 2008 by Svante Adermark

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth its weight in Platinum!, February 15, 2007

Was I in for a shocker. This book will change your life if you read it and apply it. Have you ever said to yourself that "I should be working on this report" but two hours later find yourself in front of the TV watching reruns? Or how about trying to stick to a healthy diet, but before you know it you are chowing down on a Big Mac and Super-sized fries?

The central concept of this book is that a PART of you does not want self-discipline. This part of you is very clever at putting up mental blocks and continually trying to throw you of course. The book lists every conceivable strategy your undisciplined self will use against you, and what you can do to successfully counter each one.

I was able to get results from this book almost immediately, and once the program was completed I noticed that I had managed to complete otherwise potentially difficult tasks that might sit on my list for weeks, or even months. I believe that most things people avoid doing are actually not as bad as we think, but all the avoidance makes them big and ugly when in truth it's not really that bad.

I would recommend this book as the foundation of a self-development plan.

Read it, understand it, and then apply it daily before moving on to something else. Once you can get yourself to do what you know you should do, I believe that you will be moving in a great direction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent investment!, January 23, 2004
Thomas Eberhard (Newton, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I have lots of ideas and projects, but most of them were not getting done. I read the book, one chapter per day and did the exercises like a good little student. It has been extremely helpful. I've built the shelves I wanted to build, cleaned up the terrible messes around the house, started projects and making so much progress on them that I actually amaze myself. I've read other books from the so called "success" literature to help, but this one is the most practical, and easy to read. I almost don't feel like writing a review because I'd be giving away such a useful tool.
The book is essentially split in two big sections. The first section deals with fears that people have. According to the author these fears subconsciously interfere with your ability to get things done. Through the exercises you gain insight into what fears you have and to what extent they influence you. I found the exercises useful, but a friend didn't agree that these were the most important fears.
The second section has four or five chapters. Each chapter deals with a particular attitude that is an obstacle (such as perfectionism), and provides a tool to help the self discipline process. Some tools are a bit wishy-washy, like "visualization", and "Mr Hyde" but after an initial "what is this BS?" I tried the concepts and I find them very useful.
All in all, a very useful and practical book. I recommend that you read one chapter per day, and when you start a new chapter quickly skim over the preceeding one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Self-Discipline in 10 Days, November 22, 2006
Wendy F. Harper (Lancaster, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I had to wait awhile to get this book, but it was worth both the wait and the cost. My biggest problem is procrastination, which exacerbates my weight and clutter problems. Stress and depression have been a real deterrant to reaching goals. This is the best book I've come across in getting to the bottom of my self-discipline lacks. I have completed the first 3 days so far but have gained so much in self-understanding, it is truly amazing. Be sure to do the exercises, they don't take long at all, and are really worth your time. I've read so many books on organizing and getting things done in a timely fashion. All of them had good ideas, but none of them got to the root of why I wasn't effectively reaching goals. I also like to collect inspirational and motivational quotes. The quotes and books all seemed to temporarily be the magic bullet to end my problems. None of them really made me think about why I had developed the clutter and weight and procrastination problems though. This is a book worth getting and working through!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, February 14, 2002
By A Customer
This is a book that aims to help you improve your self-discipline by carefully guiding you along a series of mental blocks that stop you from being disciplined.
The author very cleverly uses the typography in order to draw your attention to key points. Although the text seems unassuming at first, an awful lot of trial-and-error must have flown into this book as it almost at every stage seems to know what you're thinking and, based on that, guides you in the right direction.
Personally, I am awed by the spot-on analysis of the way that I'm thinking and how that blocked me from doing the things that I want to do. Although striving for "self-discipline" sounds strict and funless, I actually feel liberated after reading this book and even starting to apply the lessons learned. For me the book worked wonders and I am now getting things done that used to lie around for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, crisp and clear, September 19, 2005
Excellent and short book (150 pages) that addresses the main issues of why people lack self-discipline and how to gain the skills necessary for self-discipline.

The books format is downscale, but do not let that distract from this book's effectiveness. For instance, the cover is bright orange, containing cheap clipart. It is written in large readible font as if for senior citizens. The whole book feels like a set of handouts in a classroom written in the 1970s on an early word processor.

However, this book works. It provides good information. It identifies the main forms of self-defeating behavior that prevent self-discipline. It has 15-minute writing exercises that let you identify ways in which that self-defeating behavior hinders you. It then provides key skills necessary to overcome that self-defeating behavior.

Worked for me. Crisp, clear, and focused. No fluff. No useless examples, no self-promotion. Just the facts. Useful ones. Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Success, step by step, March 24, 2000
I recently read a friend's copy of this book and also just ordered my own, I liked it so much. Those of you who have read some of my other reviews on Amazon will see that I'm a big proponent of self-discipline being the key to success in any area of your life. This book shows you how to actually acquire the discipline that you need, and gives you a concrete plan to do so. If you feel that your success in any area of your life is lacking, give this excellent book a shot...you will not be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start to changing yourself, October 14, 2004
At first I thought the title was a bit too good to be true, how can anyone change in 10 days? I bought it anyway since being human that we are, easy and effortless is the most attractive option. Well, I read it and applied (actually do the exercises) and it did improve my thinking, then little by little, my actions. I took my time with it but eventually I did learn about enabling new habits, not just discipline, through the steps and methods given in the book (visualization, self-talk, etc). Now, I catch myself talking out of doing things that I should do, I immediately snap out of it and do it. Good book, I'm starting to use it in other areas of my life that needs a bit of work.

5.0 out of 5 stars It simply works..., April 18, 2007
The book is a REALLY short read. The exercises are quick and simple and they just work... Yes, the book is simplistic and the concepts deceptively obvious. I think that is the beauty of it.

Like some of the other reviewers, I have purchased other books about getting past procrastination. What happened to those books? They are on my shelf because I either put off reading them all together or got bored and did not finish reading them.

I was highly skeptical about purchasing this book and I still don't think that the best results were within the "10 days" promised by the title. WHO CARES? You will likely see a change in your thinking and more productivity before you even finish reading the book! The more you apply the concepts, the better your results become.

Buy the book. It is worth the price. You simply have to keep an open mind, read the book, and actually do the exercises. The time and effort invested is amazingly small for the level of benefits derived. Now, the next step is yours...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff!, June 23, 2000
This book rules! I predict that word-of-mouth will make it a top seller for years to come. I really liked the clear explanations and specific directions. The author teaches a super easy self-discipline system. First, he simplifies the psychological process of self-discipline. Then he shows you how to immediately increase your self-discipline power and apply it to anything you want. I highly recommend this book to people who want to turn up their self-discipline a few notches. And here is a message for all you thinkers, dreamers, or even couch potatoes who are ready to transform your ideas into action: Buy this book! You can thank me later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Applicable, April 17, 2001
"lotor2" (Massillon, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I am now reading the book for the second time. The author does a very good job at getting you to do the exercises. You are very inspired by this book and truely believe that you can become a better worker.
I bought this book to help me stop procrastinating and wasting valuable time worrying about things and just putting other things before my work.
I still have a little trouble applying the last two sections in the book but I am gonna keep reading and going over the information until I got it stuck as a habit.
Self-Discipline is something you can learn. It just takes some work.

Self-Discipline in 10 days: How To Go From Thinking to Doing
Self-Discipline in 10 days: How To Go From Thinking to Doing by Theodore Bryant (Paperback - May 2, 2011)
$24.95 $21.42