Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on June 9, 2010
I bought this book based on the good reviews in Amazon but I was very disappointed.

I think that if you are an introvert that has no experience with extroverts that this book may have some value. Contrary to the introduction, I felt that it was primarily focused on utilising principles that extroverts use. This was re-enforced by the continual quoting of famous extroverts advice on how to self-promote. This is not what I was looking for. I know how extroverts function, I just also know that a lot of their strategies don't work nearly as well for me as they do for them.

The other disappointment was that a lot of the text was on what I would consider business-promotion, rather than self-promotion. The section on `Self-Promoting activities' listed (in order); Web sites, Advertising, blogging, podcasts, online-groups, classified ads, flyers, brochures... Sorry, but this is not self-promotion as I understand it.

In summary, this is a very entry level book. It may be a good introduction, but I found it very light and not very on-target.
1818 comments| 347 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2012
As an introvert, I feel that this book missed the mark. It is filled with clichés, including that annoying corporate America "common sense" networking wisdom, such as "don't be too hard on yourself." I got really irritated after the third or fourth sports metaphor, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't sports more of an extraverted endeavor? The most disappointing aspect of this book is that it borders on condescension, mocking introverts for wishing our talents would be noticed more, and proclaiming that we listen to "U-Suck" radio. I will agree that it's depressingly hard to compete in a business world ruled by extroverts, but Ms. Ancowitz has oversimplified this dilemma. For one, many of the exercises are of a get-out-there-and-do-it kind of style, which is a huge turn off.

I think the book would have been better if the exercises encouraged more introspection and creativity with regard to our understanding and marketing of ourselves. I agree with one of the reviewers who said that most of the advice is standard cookie cutter career advice which might as well have been written by an extravert. I'm even surprised that the author calls herself an introvert. But I'm not surprised that a couple of the five-star reviews here were written by extraverts in the corporate world. Who doesn't like to toot their own horn?

For what it's worth, the book does an OK job of explaining why we have a tough time getting noticed, but its advice on how to change that is marginally helpful at best, and patronizing at worst.
0Comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2012
I purchased this book hoping that it would have ideas to help me more successful in the extravert's world. I was completely disappointed in this respect. The book did little to help me become more successful in promoting myself and advertising the success that I enjoy, privately.

The book did help me understand a couple of points about extraverts that I had previously overlooked. That was about all I gained from it.
on October 12, 2009
This book offers excellent advice for individuals (with an emphasis on often stigmatized introverts) which can be used in business situations as well in personal situations. In an easy to read, humorous and well-thought out manner, Ms. Ancowitz gives proven examples and anecdotes from both lay persons as well as well-known public figures on how to "quietly" self-promote oneself without bragging or coming across as an obnoxious fool. Given our difficult economic times, one will gain a lot of insight on best practices, tools and tips for promoting visibility. The book offers great methods for preparing for interviews and presentations and shedding useless negative self-talk while focusing on positive and proactive thinking. A definite must-read for those in transition as well for those who are still employed and "invisible."

Janet L. Riesel, MBA, SPHR
on November 3, 2009
Where do I begin with my rave for this wonderful book? If we were all uber- confident, smooth self promoters with plenty of job openings before us, well, then the advice would be redundant. Yet, back in the real world where talent is often times trumped by "shmoozability", and "shyness" is often more a sign of emotional intelligence and brilliance than a sign of social inadequacy, this excellent guide hits the mark. Ms. Ancowitz teaches instead of preaches, and accepts the reader for whom she or he is, that feature in itself makes it worth getting this book! I have been searching (until now, in vain) for a pragmatic guide to self- promotion that actually values my intrinsic self without the "guilt trip" for being an introvert, and this IS THE ONE! Thank you!!! Ms. Ancowitz offers a concise, informative, step by step game plan that quite simply works. I feel like I have an actual career coach right by my side in this book and I'm very happy to report that I'm beginning to reap the benefits of Ms. Ancowitz's advice. This is an amazing book and if you are an uneasy self-promoter, BUY THIS BOOK! You will be glad that you did!
on October 7, 2009
Extroverts, by their very nature, command attention; frequently, they surpass a more skilled rival for a promotion, simply because they're always in the spotlight. If you're an introvert who's perhaps a bit frustrated by the lack of attention you need to get ahead, Nancy Ancowitz has quietly provided a guide that could help turn the tide.

Interestingly enough, the population is roughly split, 50-50, between extroverts and introverts. In today's high-tech, "in your face" society, the edge frequently goes to the extrovert, in nearly every endeavor. However, Ancowitz is providing a solid game plan for helping the introvert overcome the obstacles for success. The key strategies don't involve changing the introvert's personality; rather, simply focusing on their strenghts and accomplishments; by quietly informing people what they bring to the table; to paraphrase Sgt Joe Friday: "Just the facts, please; just the facts."

Historically, introverts are generally intelligent individuals, with good verbal skills and remarkable intuition. Ancowitz is providing them with a solid game plan for taking action; to quietly take charge of their careers and their lives. This will enable the quietly efficient individual to bring attention to their skills; to get noticed, and to possibly shut that self-absorbed wind-bag up, at least for the time being.

The goal is quite simple; to progress---inward, outward & onward. It's an inspiring message, and one that should help anyone attain just about any goal they're looking to reach.
on October 12, 2009
I just finished reading Nancy Ancowitz's book, "Self Promotion for Introverts". This is an inspiring, practical and insightful read with immediate application in my life. In particular, the techniques that Nancy outlines will help me focus on getting ahead by leveraging my strengths and not changing my behavior. This is a welcome departure from how I thought I had to behave and act in the business world. A key component of her strategy is coming up with a game plan that's right for me, recognizing that everyone's different- There isn't a one-size-fits-all solution.

While there is lots of wisdom throughout the book, a key affirmation will always stick with me, "I can catch any ball..." No matter how challenging a business situation I encounter, this affirmation will help me navigate it in a positive and powerful way.

By the end of this book, I felt empowered and was further emboldened by reading insight from so many powerful and influential figures like Warren Buffet and Cathie Black. In my opinion, "Self Promotion for Introverts" is a must read for anyone in business.
on October 23, 2009
Nancy Ancowitz has cleverly zeroed in on a topic that plagues most introverts; how to promote oneself. She gives excellent practical advice appealing to a wide audience and presents it in a way that is highly interactive and entertaining. In order to get the most out of the book, I recommend working through all of the exercises that Nancy outlines so that you can learn as much as you can about yourself. I started reading the book very quickly but then decided to slow down and really work the exercises. I soon discovered that there are many more ways I could be promoting myself that I had not thought of before as well as realizing hidden strengths. I highly recommend this beautifully written book to all of you who are committed to self improvement and taking charge of your life.

Anne L. Houle
on March 29, 2011
I've not finished the book. What I've read so far (ca 100 pp) makes it well worth the money. Too many extroverts want to take over the world and, in effect, silence the competition. Type A-s, therefore. But how reliable is the information you get from them? If they have integrity, fine. If it's shaky, buyer beware. A trainer once told me: there is a customer for every seller. The bombastic, pushy, hard-sell people turn me off, whereas I trust the soft-spoken whose every word is being weighed and is backed by honest conviction. Perhaps almost half of the population belongs to our group and I am proud of them and believe this book to be a very valuable asset!
on November 15, 2015
I'm made the mistake of buying this as a kindle book. I didn't know there would be lots of writing exercises. I'm stuck in the early part of the book with images of lined pages for me to fill with my thoughts without the ability to do so. Now I need to carry paper with me to write these things and then correlate them to the kindle version. For this type of book I'd recommend paper.