5.0 out of 5 stars Quietly Maximizing Our Potential
Extroverts, by their very nature, command attention; frequently, they surpass a more skilled rival for a promotion, simply because they're always in the spotlight. If you're an introvert who's perhaps a bit frustrated by the lack of attention you need to get ahead, Nancy Ancowitz has quietly provided a guide that could help turn the tide.

Interestingly enough,...
Published on October 7, 2009 by Larry Underwood

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I bought this book based on the good reviews in Amazon but I was very disappointed.

Published on June 9, 2010 by Ghoti

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, June 9, 2010
This review is from: Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead (Paperback)

I think that if you are an introvert that has no experience with extroverts that this book may have some value. Contrary to the introduction, I felt that it was primarily focused on utilising principles that extroverts use. This was re-enforced by the continual quoting of famous extroverts advice on how to self-promote. This is not what I was looking for. I know how extroverts function, I just also know that a lot of their strategies don't work nearly as well for me as they do for them.

The other disappointment was that a lot of the text was on what I would consider business-promotion, rather than self-promotion. The section on `Self-Promoting activities' listed (in order); Web sites, Advertising, blogging, podcasts, online-groups, classified ads, flyers, brochures... Sorry, but this is not self-promotion as I understand it.

In summary, this is a very entry level book. It may be a good introduction, but I found it very light and not very on-target.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite disappointed with this one, May 27, 2012
As an introvert, I feel that this book missed the mark. It is filled with clichés, including that annoying corporate America "common sense" networking wisdom, such as "don't be too hard on yourself." I got really irritated after the third or fourth sports metaphor, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't sports more of an extraverted endeavor? The most disappointing aspect of this book is that it borders on condescension, mocking introverts for wishing our talents would be noticed more, and proclaiming that we listen to "U-Suck" radio. I will agree that it's depressingly hard to compete in a business world ruled by extroverts, but Ms. Ancowitz has oversimplified this dilemma. For one, many of the exercises are of a get-out-there-and-do-it kind of style, which is a huge turn off.

I think the book would have been better if the exercises encouraged more introspection and creativity with regard to our understanding and marketing of ourselves. I agree with one of the reviewers who said that most of the advice is standard cookie cutter career advice which might as well have been written by an extravert. I'm even surprised that the author calls herself an introvert. But I'm not surprised that a couple of the five-star reviews here were written by extraverts in the corporate world. Who doesn't like to toot their own horn?

For what it's worth, the book does an OK job of explaining why we have a tough time getting noticed, but its advice on how to change that is marginally helpful at best, and patronizing at worst.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much help, March 18, 2012
I purchased this book hoping that it would have ideas to help me more successful in the extravert's world. I was completely disappointed in this respect. The book did little to help me become more successful in promoting myself and advertising the success that I enjoy, privately.

The book did help me understand a couple of points about extraverts that I had previously overlooked. That was about all I gained from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quietly Maximizing Our Potential, October 7, 2009

Interestingly enough, the population is roughly split, 50-50, between extroverts and introverts. In today's high-tech, "in your face" society, the edge frequently goes to the extrovert, in nearly every endeavor. However, Ancowitz is providing a solid game plan for helping the introvert overcome the obstacles for success. The key strategies don't involve changing the introvert's personality; rather, simply focusing on their strenghts and accomplishments; by quietly informing people what they bring to the table; to paraphrase Sgt Joe Friday: "Just the facts, please; just the facts."

Historically, introverts are generally intelligent individuals, with good verbal skills and remarkable intuition. Ancowitz is providing them with a solid game plan for taking action; to quietly take charge of their careers and their lives. This will enable the quietly efficient individual to bring attention to their skills; to get noticed, and to possibly shut that self-absorbed wind-bag up, at least for the time being.

The goal is quite simple; to progress---inward, outward & onward. It's an inspiring message, and one that should help anyone attain just about any goal they're looking to reach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crucial Resource for the Not So Bold in Today's Job Market, November 3, 2009
A. Prudhomme-Cox (New York City, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Where do I begin with my rave for this wonderful book? If we were all uber- confident, smooth self promoters with plenty of job openings before us, well, then the advice would be redundant. Yet, back in the real world where talent is often times trumped by "shmoozability", and "shyness" is often more a sign of emotional intelligence and brilliance than a sign of social inadequacy, this excellent guide hits the mark. Ms. Ancowitz teaches instead of preaches, and accepts the reader for whom she or he is, that feature in itself makes it worth getting this book! I have been searching (until now, in vain) for a pragmatic guide to self- promotion that actually values my intrinsic self without the "guilt trip" for being an introvert, and this IS THE ONE! Thank you!!! Ms. Ancowitz offers a concise, informative, step by step game plan that quite simply works. I feel like I have an actual career coach right by my side in this book and I'm very happy to report that I'm beginning to reap the benefits of Ms. Ancowitz's advice. This is an amazing book and if you are an uneasy self-promoter, BUY THIS BOOK! You will be glad that you did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Career Advice Book for Both Job Seekers and Non-Job Seekers, For Both Introverts as well As Extroverts!, October 12, 2009
Janet Riesel "MBA, SPHR" (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This book offers excellent advice for individuals (with an emphasis on often stigmatized introverts) which can be used in business situations as well in personal situations. In an easy to read, humorous and well-thought out manner, Ms. Ancowitz gives proven examples and anecdotes from both lay persons as well as well-known public figures on how to "quietly" self-promote oneself without bragging or coming across as an obnoxious fool. Given our difficult economic times, one will gain a lot of insight on best practices, tools and tips for promoting visibility. The book offers great methods for preparing for interviews and presentations and shedding useless negative self-talk while focusing on positive and proactive thinking. A definite must-read for those in transition as well for those who are still employed and "invisible."

Janet L. Riesel, MBA, SPHR

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, October 23, 2009
Nancy Ancowitz has cleverly zeroed in on a topic that plagues most introverts; how to promote oneself. She gives excellent practical advice appealing to a wide audience and presents it in a way that is highly interactive and entertaining. In order to get the most out of the book, I recommend working through all of the exercises that Nancy outlines so that you can learn as much as you can about yourself. I started reading the book very quickly but then decided to slow down and really work the exercises. I soon discovered that there are many more ways I could be promoting myself that I had not thought of before as well as realizing hidden strengths. I highly recommend this beautifully written book to all of you who are committed to self improvement and taking charge of your life.

Anne L. Houle

5.0 out of 5 stars Self Promotion for Introverts is a must read for anyone in business, October 12, 2009
I just finished reading Nancy Ancowitz's book, "Self Promotion for Introverts". This is an inspiring, practical and insightful read with immediate application in my life. In particular, the techniques that Nancy outlines will help me focus on getting ahead by leveraging my strengths and not changing my behavior. This is a welcome departure from how I thought I had to behave and act in the business world. A key component of her strategy is coming up with a game plan that's right for me, recognizing that everyone's different- There isn't a one-size-fits-all solution.

While there is lots of wisdom throughout the book, a key affirmation will always stick with me, "I can catch any ball..." No matter how challenging a business situation I encounter, this affirmation will help me navigate it in a positive and powerful way.

By the end of this book, I felt empowered and was further emboldened by reading insight from so many powerful and influential figures like Warren Buffet and Cathie Black. In my opinion, "Self Promotion for Introverts" is a must read for anyone in business.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Indispensable Guide to Getting Ahead, October 4, 2010
Have you ever found yourself electing not to speak up and voice your opinions during a high-stakes business meeting? Does the very thought of giving a presentation make you ill with nerves and fear? Are you a great job candidate on paper, but then when it comes to interviewing, you just can't seem to put your best self forward? If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, then Nancy Ancowitz's book, Self-Promotion for Introverts, is most certainly for you. More business-oriented than a self-help guide - but still gentle enough to coax introverted readers out of their shells - Self-Promotion for Introverts is an invaluable resource that teaches introverts how to put their best foot forward and project a clear, confident presence in just about any situation, from a business meeting to an interview room.

The thing that is so uniquely wonderful about Nancy's book is that she herself is an introvert who has worked to make her presence in the world more powerful, so she understands exactly how to motivate and teach her introverted readers to project their best selves. Instead of suggesting that introverts simply ignore their true inward-leaning natures and navigate through life by simply pretending to be extroverts, Nancy shows readers how to leverage their instinctual reservedness to their advantage. Nancy calls upon readers to recognize their "quiet gifts" (most often qualities like "good researcher," "listener," "mediator," etc.) and then use these characteristics to the betterment of the world around them - and, ultimately, themselves.

Readers will learn tools and tactics that will improve their approach to otherwise introvert-unfriendly situations (interviews, networking, public speeches, etc.), and by the time they turn the final pages of the book, they will be better prepared than ever before to confront the world of business and all the hazards it presents for introverts. I highly recommend this essential book, which is the ultimate blueprint to getting ahead for the quieter, more reserved set of businesspeople.

5.0 out of 5 stars Senstive, smart...and really helpful!, August 24, 2010
I found Nancy Ancowitz's Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead to be an enlightening and extremely useful book. Well written and thoughtful, Ancowitz's book clears up the mysteries and misconceptions about introverts and extroverts (one can be an introvert and be outgoing; conversely, one can be an extrovert and be quite shy in certain situations), and offers insightful, practical advice aimed particularly at introverts which may well benefit many extroverts too.

As a technical extrovert who nearly straddles the midpoint between introvert and extrovert, I found much of the author's advice to be truly thought-provoking and useful. How to promote yourself without feeling like you're bragging; how to break through the procrastination that comes from feeling overwhelmed; how to think less and actually DO more; how to stop self-consciousness by focusing more on the other person (and their needs), and less on yourself; how to break the ice when meeting new people; how to negotiate to get what you really want and deserve without getting steam-rollered. Ancowitz is sensitive to the particular difficulties, fears, and concerns that "quieter" members of the population have, be they introverts or extroverts, and offers helpful tips, exercises, and food for thought. Her coaching background shines through on every page, giving the reader a real sense of having "someone in her corner."

I highly recommend her book!

Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead
Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead by Nancy Ancowitz (Paperback - October 16, 2009)
$18.95 $12.39