5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT MOWER, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG
Published on June 29, 2010 by Stephanie M

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Waste of Money
Published 22 months ago by Duane A. Bennett

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT MOWER, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG, June 29, 2010
This review is from: Self Propelled Cordless Electric Lawn Mower - by LAWNATRON Green 20" 24Volt Premium Rechargeable Removable Battery 3 in1 Bag/Mulch/Side Discharge/ Battery Capacity Indicator
I was so excited to get my new Lawnatron battery mower this week. My husband and I thought we'd get another season out of a 10 year old John Deere gas mower, but it didn't make it. We have a little less than 1/2 an acre to mow and wanted to try a battery operated one because of all the no oil- gas convenience. (I do most of the mowing because my husband travels a lot). I did a lot of research online and we also went to Lowes and Home Depot and looked at what they have. We looked at a lot of mowers and the Lawnatron was the only battery model we saw that looked like a ordinary lawn mower, with some tweaks to use the battery instead of a gas engine.

Ordering online from Amazon was straight forward as always, and when I called Green Yard Keeper (the company that sells Lawnatrons) to make some special shipping arrangements, they picked up immediately and the woman I spoke with was friendly and very helpful - a good sign in my opinion.

First some comments about the mower:
For one thing it has a well built steel mower deck which I like because I do bang the mower into things sometimes and I read online that the plastic ones can crack occasionally. It has a safety lock key (we have small kids) but I like that it's up on the handle so you don't have to reach down to use it. After the key is in, just pull up the handle and it's on - it just doesn't get any easier than that which is definitely what I was looking for! It is a lot lighter than our old gas mower and I think about 1/2 as loud.
And since the battery comes precharged (not all models do this I read), I tried it out as soon as we got it out of the box. I tell you the convenience factor for battery mowers isn't hard to figure out as soon as you actually try one.

And about mulching for those of you who prefer this:
I read a lot online about how well different brand battery mowers do or don't bag, but I mulch because we think it's better for the lawn plus we really don't have anywhere to dump grass clippings. This mower mulches fantastic, not a sign of grass clippings anywhere, which is how I want it. I am impressed! It has a quite deep deck which I thinks helps a lot with the mulching more than our old gas mower. All in all, I really like this mower a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this mower, its perfect!, June 15, 2010
Got it yesterday, free ground shipping only takes 2 days! It was packed nicely and came almost all assembled. Took us 2 minutes to tighten the handle knobs and that was it. This machine is good looking and looks very well made. The battery was already charged so today I gave it a good work out on some really tall grass and it did great! and is so easy to use I LOVE it. The instant start/ stop handle is well designed and comfortable, now I can stop and go 50 times not having to worry about having to pull the cord again. and no more gas run and dumping gas...messy deals. Another thing, this machine is easy to push around, I mowed for about 50 minutes and the battery indicator shows it still has 1/2 charge. It cuts the lawn beautifully (I think also because the blade is new and sharp ) and picks up every bit of clippings. Anyway, my lawn mowing duty is going to be a breeze from now on. I am definitely recommending it to my friends. For sure it is a 5 star "make your life easier" product in my book.

5.0 out of 5 stars this mower rocks, March 19, 2013
I am a single woman with too little time. I often let the lawn get outta hand, but man, I've got to say that this mower really really does the job. Though the battery is heavy, it holds a charge. I've mowed long-assed grass in the back, and unbelievably this mower DID it without dying. It feels solid, it holds a charge. I am glad that I made this investment instead of hiring help.

5.0 out of 5 stars good choice, August 5, 2012
read tons of reviews here and other how to information sites and bought the lawnatron because it matches closest to what I am used to and specs of the battery. I have an old self propelled troybuilt but i am at the age that my hands are not steady to deal with oil and gas maintenance. Have to ask myself why didn't I get this earlier. The routine is so much easier. This mower has a steel symmetrical deck that extends beyond the wheels like my old one. mulches great and able to trim closely. The blade is hefty and has good edged angle It will last many seasons of resharpening. The battery runs great through to cut a little less than a quater acre of st. Augustine . It does a good job. All in all very pleased

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mower, July 20, 2012
My second purchase of a battery powered lawnmower - the first one was a Neuton I bought 3 years ago. The battery power was only so-so and then the blade came off when running and broke the plastic housing, which might have been my fault for not putting it on tight, but afterwards grass always clogged up in the hole.
Before buying this time, I did a lot of online research; I figured battery mower manufacturers have improved in the last 3 or 4 years, and was looking for a self-propelled one which not every brand offers. Lawnatron seems to have overall really good reviews, not all perfect but none of the brands had 100% good reviews. I ended up going with the Lawnatron because of the features and the price, plus they have a good warranty and the mower is made from steel. I ordered by phone because I had questions and the person I talked with was very knowledgeable and answered everything.
My assessment after using it for most of this summer is it is a great mower and definitely works as advertised. Our lawn's over 12,000 sf with a pretty good slope. I mow it at least once a week, it takes about 45 to 50 minutes and always have plenty of power even using it 100% self propelled. It cuts and bags well and the self propelled function is easy to use. I also like the nice carrying handle on the battery pack and that the mower has a steel deck. So far so good, I like it a lot and recommend it to anyone who wants to get rid of the gas and pull cord routine.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!! Great durable mower, as good as gas but green!!, July 19, 2012
Got the Lawnatron mower this spring and love it... it's durable and very high quality (I have looked at the ones at homedepot & lowes). I was impressed, it easily stands up to my gas mower, but is easier to operate, and so much quieter!! It's a high quality REAL mower, capable for doing the job! Not like one of those dinky electric cord mowers with no power. My wife loves it too, because its easier to operate than our gas mower (self propel works great), and so much more quiet! I can easily mow my whole lawn on a single charge, and than some, and my lawn is not small.

Great to have a green alternative that is even better than my gas mower. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine, July 2, 2011
I own the SELF-PROPELLED Lawnatron and have used it 9 times. I LOVE IT!

My lawn is very large, taking me about 100 mins to mow it completely. Now that I have used this enough times, I am almost able to mow the entire lawn on 1 charge. The longest it has run continuosly is 85 minutes! If I take a 45 min break while mowing and recharge the battery while edging or another task, I can go back to mowing and finish the lawn in one day. The self-proppeled model comes with a more powerful battery than the regular model. It is worth getting the self-propelled, for the extra battery and convenience.

With this machine, I have been able to cut grass and small brush as tall as 18 inches, by making 3 passes. Using the self-propeller, I tilt the machine as far back as it can go, and let the mower do all the work for the first pass. Then, lower the mower a bit and let it make a second pass, dropping it to the ground for a third pass. Even at that height, the grass/brush was completely mulched and out of sight.

A tip I found for extended mowing is to cut the toughest grass first, while the battery is fully charged and better able to handle it. When the battery is drained, there is a noticable loss in power, but it will still cut through regular, low grass. But, it won't handle tough grass when the battery is low.

The machine is sturdy and on the heavier side. They say it weighs 97 pounds. On flat ground, there is no problem. On inclines and hills, it is not hard, but you notice the weight more. Another reason to get the self-propelled, which can be engaged/disengaged instantly. When engaged, the self-propeller does reduce the battery run time by about 25 - 30%. It does not use any power when not engaged.

I have only 2 gripes/suggestions. The trigger to operate the mower is right-handed only and, after a long mow, my hand often times cramps. The handle to the mower does not fold, so it takes more space in the garage. Otherwise, I have no complaints about this machine.

The charger arrived cracked (the machine was fine and came approx. 90% charged - so I could play with it that day). I called up the company, immediately. To my surprise, a human answered the phone (no menu to navigate) and, without question, she sent me a new charger on the next delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars This mower is terrific, June 13, 2013
The battery on this mower is awesome. I can mow my entire yard and still have battery power left. I definitely recommend this mower for those people with smaller yards. The self-propelled version is a must-have.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Waste of Money, June 27, 2012
I have cut my small residential, very flat, St. Augustine grassed yard twice. Both times took well over one hour. The battery has yet to last 30 minutes. This requires that I cut about 3/8 of the yard then stop to let the battery very slowly recharge overnight. Taking 2.5 days to cut this yard is not only a joke but an insult. The blade came dull straight from the factory. Each pass leaves a large, about 3 inch wide swath of uncut grass right down the middle, centered on the center of the blade - apparently and extremely poor design. This then requires two passes over the entire yard if I don't want to leave these unique rows of grass about every 17 inches. The mulching does not do very well and left a large trail of thatch on both sides of the mower. The bag does not catch very well either; the grass tends to hang at the opening in the mower leading to the catcher. This is all extremely frustrating.

I bought this mower based on the excellent reviews on this site. Either these are fake reviews or the manufacturer has very poor quality control. The reason I choice an electric mower was because in January I bought my girlfriend (who does not live with me and lives in another town) a Worx WG787, 24-volt 17" electric (battery) mower. That thing really impressed me! It cut her yard, which is much larger than mine, in about 45 minutes and had well over 1/2 battery left. We were able to cut her yard twice without charging between cuts. She brought her mower over to my house and I was able to cut my yard in about 30 minutes without any trouble or issues. Having made the decision to buy myself an electric mower, I started doing more research. The overall reviews for the Worx were not as good and the general opinions was that the metal casing and larger cut was better. I was falsely led to believe from the reviews that spending twice the money for the Lawnatron would actually be a smart investment in my time and my yard.

NO! The very poor battery, the poor blade quality (or maybe this is just because of a low RPM?), and other issues make this a complete waste of money. If I cannot cut my yard on one charge then the machine is worthless. Requiring over twice the total time of a 17" mower is a joke.

Buyer beware - this machine is NOT worth the price paid. You are far better served buying a Worx or another brand even if the plastic housing lasts half as long. Over the course of time you will save a lot of money and a LOT of time buy avoiding the Lawnatron. (Oh, I did fully charge the battery overnight before using for the first time. I have charged the battery five times now, each time requires at least 15 hours to go from red to green, and I just ran the battery down again and it only lasted 27 minutes. I will have to wait until tomorrow to start mowing again, then repeat this procedure to complete the yard on Friday. This is just unacceptable!)

1.0 out of 5 stars WRONG that you can't go wrong, May 19, 2012
Dolphin (East Coast USA) - See all my reviews
If every time you mow, you like being forced to stop after 15 minutes to recharge the battery, then buy this mower. Otherwise, STAY AWAY! I'm on my second battery, which never holds a charge for more than 15 minutes and takes easily 3 days to fully recharge. If the battery would last, then this would be a decent mower. But if the battery can't hold a charge long enough to mow a very small yard, then this mower is worthless. Total waste of money--and time!

ARRAY(0xa9b4fa98)