5.0 out of 5 stars Usefull tips for all!
Published on January 11, 2011 by Melinda

2.0 out of 5 stars Superficial coverage, Written for UK readers
"The complete guide to a simpler, greener life" announces the back cover. It also offers to provide step-by-step guidance to becoming more energy efficient, raise and manage livestock and woodlots and gardens.

Published on November 19, 2010 by equus

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Superficial coverage, Written for UK readers, November 19, 2010
This review is from: Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century (Hardcover)

The book is divided up into sections: an introduction into a "new way to self-sufficiency", "The Home" "The Yard" and "Traditional Knowledge" with subchapters on building with straw bales, alternative energy, hydroponics, growing, foraging, keeping specific livestock, preserving food, working with wood, and others--

I was disappointed with this book for two reasons. First, it is geared primarily toward readers in the U.K. On page 153..."Here are a couple of unusual trees we plan to try"--namely, Pecans and Honey Locust! And in the section on food preservation, I was astonished to read, "Preserving vegetables at home by canning is not advisable since they have to be heated to a very high temperature to make them safe"... "Our advice is to only can fruit, and preserve your vegetables by freezing them". The other criticism is that while the authors touch upon many topics, none go in depth to the extent that you could master the skill--for example there are two pages on bee keeping from establishing a colony to gathering honey. In less than one page we are instructed how to slaughter and butcher beef, with most of that showing a large beef carcass with cuts drawn on it.

The book is useful for getting an overview of farm life and getting ideas for further study--but you certainly won't become self sufficient by reading this book. More helpful resources I would recommend include archives of The Mother Earth News, available on CD, and Carla Emery's The Encyclopedia of Country Living.

5.0 out of 5 stars Usefull tips for all!, January 11, 2011
Melinda (HUNTSVILLE, TX, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century (Hardcover)
This book has great ideas for everybody, not just those in the UK. There are more ideas than just plant based ones, the greenhouse heat sink is my fave and very applicable for anyone with a greenhouse. It probably wouldn't be very helpful for the city farmer, it does have some ideas but I feel it is mostly applicable for those with a bit of land to work with. If you are interested in gardening only this probably isn't the book for you, but, if you like to try your hand at a little of everything this is a must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, December 8, 2010
This review is from: Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century (Hardcover)
I loved this book. I couldn't stop looking through it.I personally found so much helpful information in it to help us live a more sustainable life. I found it to be very thorough, well laid out and I also thought it was just a beautiful book to look through. I especially liked all the photos with the little numbers beside individual items and a matching list so you could know what exactly you are looking at.I live here in the US and still found it extremly useful and very detailed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Long read for the curious, lacking detail for follow through, April 13, 2012
This review is from: Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century (Hardcover)
This is a great book if you're considering becoming more self sufficient, but it is sadly lacking in the resources you need to be self sufficient. Like so many books, it falls victim to being to broad. The authors simply include too many subjects and sacrifice information in order to do so. There are some gems in this book (a handful of great gardening tips, even a recipe for vegetarian soft cheese - no rennet) but those gems are overwhelmed by the massive nature of the book. I spent quite a bit of time lazily paging through the book, and sadly, I didn't find it all that rewarding.

Admittedly, I view this book with an eye towards urban planning/living. I don't have acres on which to raise livestock. My closest source of raw milk is 2 hours away. I don't think the city will let me build a compostable toilet - nor would my acreage support one. The authors do offer some comments on urban living but the information is light and assumes at least some available acreage with good light - a rare commodity in urban living. While it might seem crazy to consider self sufficiency in an urban environment, it's not competely unmanageable. This book just doesn't offer the kind of information necessary.

If you're living in a suburban area with some free land, or living in a rural area with cleared land, this is a great starting point to becoming self-sufficient. You will learn enough to figure out where to turn next, what projects might work for your resources and needs. But if you're working within the urban environment, you'd be better off 'The Backyard Homesteader.'

4.0 out of 5 stars Some neat ideas, written for a UK audience. - DO NOT TRUST PRESERVING SECTION!, August 17, 2011
This review is from: Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century (Hardcover)
This book has some rather neat and different ideas for around the farm, but it doesn't really go into depth on any of them. Lots of little details that could make or break a project are skimmed over. And while its nice to see how they do things across the pond, I would have liked to know that it was written for a UK audience before I bought it.

The canning and food storage sections are good for a laugh if you know anything about canning or preserving food. But for someone trying to learn from scratch how to can or preserve - this book could well be a death sentence.

The book says things like; "Canning is a good way to preserve fruits, but it is not suitable for vegetables." "because canning is only appropriate for foods with a high acid content." They advise that to can anything other than high acid foods that you would need "a specialty pressure canner,..." While only pages earlier they sing the praises of the "modern easy to use pressure cookers" Calling them a "must-have eco-gadget for the kitchen"

The two very limited canning methods they do provide are very likely to lead to botulinum poisoning. They advocate only the Pan method and the Oven method. Both methods are very, very unsafe to use. Have they never heard of the Ball blue book over there?

It's full of lots of neat ideas(some more fully baked than others), many recipes that I won't hesitate to try, and many, many pretty pictures.

Buy this book to get some neat ideas, and then read more in-depth on them from other sources before implementing them. Check out the pretty pictures and try the yummy recipes.

Just don't trust the preserving section.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, September 22, 2012
K. Imai "Hokugirl" (Honolulu, Hawaii USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century (Hardcover)
This book is filled with ideas that can be scaled down or modified based on your needs. More than anything, it keeps you motivated. My husband and I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK, March 26, 2012
This review is from: Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century (Hardcover)
I was kind of worried when I first saw that the two authors were British. I didn't think this book would mesh with a backwoods American country boy like me. Was I ever wrong! This book is great! If you want to get some good ideas on how to be self sufficient buy this book. Great diagrams too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, December 5, 2012
This review is from: Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century (Hardcover)
This book includes So many projects that I want, or may need, to do. The Instructions seem very clear and well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've bought in a long time., March 4, 2012
This review is from: Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century (Hardcover)
My husband and I have a small farmette -- we have chickens and guinea fowl. The book offers a ton of excellent advice on gardening, pest control, food preservation, etc. Gives detailed explanations and guidance on how to do it. We are seniors, but the book showed us things we didn't know about how, for example how to keep our chickens happy and producing eggs and how to keep our produce fresh. I am buying more copies to give as presents. The best book we've read in a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars There's Zombies!!! Let's creat a self-sufficient farm!!!, July 8, 2014
This review is from: Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century (Hardcover)
Perfect guide to surviving the zomie apocalypse. Well kind of.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century
Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century by Dick Strawbridge (Hardcover - August 2, 2010)
$30.00 $19.89