Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Self Talk, Soul Talk: What to Say When You Talk to Yourself
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 5, 2007
Like all people, I tended to talk negatively to myself a large portion of the time. After reading Self Talk, Soul Talk, I have learned to keep my thought closet neat and clean of negative thinking! When I hear KNOCK, KNOCK! STATE YOUR BUSINESS! I only welcome in positive, reinforcing thoughts. Wisdom should always be the keeper of the door to my thought closet.
on November 5, 2007
I have a great tendency to berate myself. From this day forward I will have "talks" with myself using Scripture to enforce what God is calling me to do instead of listening to the enemy. Thanks Jennifer.
We all have that little voice inside our head that chatters away incessantly, offering a running commentary on our lives. What does that voice tell you? Does it criticize harshly, destroying your spirit, or does it speak words that come from God, helping you to live as God intended you to live? Is it possible to change the recording in your head? At age 15, Jennifer Rothschild became legally blind due to a disease called retinitis pigmentosa. She has not allowed her disability to define her. Instead, she got married, had children, and has become a well-known speaker and writer. Like all of us, though, she has to contend with the voice in her head, a voice that does not always speak kindly.

In "Self-Talk, Soul Talk: What to Say When You Talk to Yourself," she reminds us that "what you think and say to yourself will impact the texture, color, and music of your life." We should base those words on God's words, words from Scripture, words that tell us how to live. Even when we do need to correct our behavior, our words to ourselves should not be unkind. "Wise, truthful words are never harsh and unkind. They are gracious. Wise and truthful words are never wimpy or without power. They have authority. Even the hard truths we speak to ourselves should not be condemning. They should build us up."

In Chapter 4, "Speaking Truth to Your Issues," Rothschild focuses on the woman suffering from a hemorrhage for twelve years who had the courage to reach out and touch Jesus' cloak in order to be healed. This was such a radical act. According to Jewish law, she was unclean. What she was doing was illegal. Yet, she reached out. "She told herself that if she touched Him, she would be healed. She encouraged, counseled, and advised her soul." (Matthew 9:21) Her words of encouragement helped her faith and she was rewarded for that faith.

Part 2 of the book concentrates on "Seven Things to Say to Your Soul." Taken from scripture, these seven statements offer a jumping off point for nurturing your soul. God (and Rothschild) invite us to awaken our souls, look up to God, rest our souls, remember the good that God has done for us, persist when the road is hard, and praise the Lord.

Rothschild's message that what we say to ourselves matters is a very important one. Many people tell us that we should be kind to ourselves. Self-help books are full of such affirmations. What makes Rothschild's take on this subject unique is that she utilizes Scripture to help us speak the truth to ourselves. The point of "Self Talk, Soul Talk" is not simply to help us feel better, but rather to bring us closer to God.

Some great quotes from this book:

"When we receive new life from God, He declares that 'the old life is gone. A new life has begun!' Neglecting our new, clean selves allows dirt and grime to collect on the surface of our souls. It will become stuck on and hardened, it will work itself down deep, and it will certainly dull our shine. To prevent this from occurring in our lives day by day, we must be attentive."

"The most hopeful people I know are those who place their trust in God . . .It's not a once-and-forever choice. It's a choice I make day by day."

"You see, rest isn't just what God did. Rest is who God is. Rest means we quiet ourselves next to the One who not only gives peace but who is the Prince of Peace."

"If you quit, the world will be lacking what you alone bring to it."
on November 7, 2007
ANOTHER winner from Jennifer! Whether you're a Christian or not, every woman NEEDS THIS book!! No more living in defeat, agony, or anger-live in JOY and PEACE, this book is POWERFUL!
It is obvious as you read this book, that is has been poured out through her soul from the very heavens! PRAISE GOD for one who is willing to share her life lessons in such an understandable way! You will be amazed as you use her encouraging words, deep insight and carefully chosen Scriptures how your world will do a complete turn around! My Grama always said Stinkin Thinkin must be combatted, and snuffed out-because we are not what we eat, but we are what we think and believe! This wonderful book gives you the tools to combat Stinkin Thinkin, and to become the beautiful, wonderful, chosen and adored woman that God intended! The powerful Scriptures she has chosen WILL transform your mind, your heart and your life as you view yourself daily from God's eyes, and not from those that are self-defeating and would keep you from your divine destiny of being blessed, filled with joy and shining God's glory from a heart happy about what God has done with you!!
There are so many women living in depression, self-condemnation, being verbally abused and having been damaged in their thought process from a young age-and still beleiving what they hear from their incriminating thoughts mixed with the defeating ones of others still reverbrating from their hearts, souls and minds out into their lives-PASS the GOOD NEWS-this book WILL lead you to the truth-that sets you free and will renew your image and self from the inside out!! READ THIS BOOK, BUY A FEW AS GIFTS-BE BLESSED & SHARE THE BLESSING!!
JENNIFER-may you be blessed in abundance!!
Author and ministry leader, Tammy M Price
40 Day Journey to the Heart of God
Alphabet Prayers: The Power of Praying Scripture into the Hearts You Love
PRAYING GOD'S WORD for the WORLD-Lighting Pathways of Blessing!
40-Day Journey to the Heart of God:an Adventure in Prayer
on December 21, 2014
I used this as a personal Bible study. Jennifer Rothschild is a wonderful teacher. I always learn so much from her books. This one really help guide me to the right scriptures I need for my life right. She also open my eyes to some of the "self talk" I need to change. This is was a really great study.
on May 30, 2016
This book is well written, challenging, and Biblically sound. It seems that the area of self talk and personal development is one that is either completely devoid of Biblical influence OR takes it too far. Rothschild doesn't veer toward either extreme; rather, she uses Scripture in context to prove her points that we are to renew our minds and therefore our thought life and that will transform us. I am looking forward to doing this book study with my daughters when they are in high school, as I think this is a fantastic foundation to lay before college.
on August 26, 2008
I ordered this book after it was recommended by a friend. It is an excellent presonal read and an exceptional resource for those who struggle with self-esteem issues.

Don Steenhoek
Shell Point Employee Chaplain
on July 10, 2014
One of the benefits of this book is that I've been sleeping better at night! Jennifer's story about her attitude change on a delayed flight has taught me to "4:8" undesirable situations. This is a book chockful of encouraging truth and wonderful stories of how she has learned to handle real-life challenges. My copy is underlined and starred with plenty of WOWs and exclamation marks, too.
on November 26, 2013
Another great book by the writer. She helps one to look inside the heart as the LORD instructs us to. We are to examine ourselves at all times. The writer aids one in such a loving fashion. Yet with encouragement and honesty to look deeper. She helps to bring understanding with no condemnation. A worthwhile purchase. Seller was great to do business with. A+
on April 19, 2008
This book is great and perfect for someone like me who gets bogged down in the negative self talk. Jennifer Rothschild does a great job of identifying the problems and offering scriptural solutions. Great book that speaks to my soul and is a perfect small group study!