To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Sell or Be Sold: How to Get Your Way in Business and in Life Hardcover – March 1, 2012
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
-- Harvey Mackay, author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive
"Sell or Be Sold should be in every entrepreneur's and CEO's library as a resource for what you MUST know to take your life and career to peak potential!"
--Mike Bertolino, partner at Ernst & Young
"Grant Cardone's Sell or Be Sold is not just for salespeople. It's a book on effective persuasion for anyone--parents, teachers, managers, coaches, etc.--who needs to influence and motivate the behavior of others."
--Dr. Tony Alessandra, author of The Platinum Rule
"Grant Cardone delivers a fresh, innovative approach to maximizing your personal potential and success. Brilliant, innovative, and insightful."
--Joseph W. Lineberry, Microsoft Corporation
From the Inside Flap
Whether it's selling your company's product in the boardroom or selling yourself on eating healthy, everything in life can--and should--be treated as a sale. And as sales expert Grant Cardone explains, knowing the principles of selling is a prerequisite for success of any kind. In Sell or Be Sold, Cardone breaks down the techniques and approaches necessary to master the art of selling in any avenue. You will learn how to handle rejection, turn around negative situations, shorten sales cycles, and guarantee yourself greatness. Cardone will also teach you the success essentials of
- Selling in a bad economy
- Overcoming call reluctance
- Filling your pipeline with new business
- Staying positive, despite rejection
Top Customer Reviews
1. Think of any action in life, and I assure you that there's someone at one end or the other trying to influence the outcome
2. The degree to which you can influence the outcome of events in your life is the determining factor of your success
3. When I discuss sales in this book, not only am I referring to the professional, paid salesperson, but I'm also covering the everyday use of basic persuasion skills and how to use them to get your way in life
4. The skill of sales is so critical to a person's survival that I don't understand why it is not required study at school
5. The fact that sales isn't taught in shool only further indicates the immense value of those who do learn this skill
6. It's my observation that the most important skills needed in life aren't taught in school
7. Most books written about sales are about the career of selling and exclude how vital it is to life
8. No person will ever gain true power and stature in the world without the ability to persuade others
9. Even if selling isn't your career, you should be a professional seller in order to get more out of life
10. If you want to get rich, learn how to sell
11. The ability to predict is the first thing that happens when you become a professional
12. The only reason a person doesn't like what he's doing is because he doesn't know what he's doing
13. Most business people are being knocked down by the economy due to their ranking-- their lack of commitment and not knowing how to sell
14. To the degree that you can predict, you can respond appropriately
15.Read more ›
Cardone tells of his rise through the sales world from a car salesman to a business owner; including what he calls he's biggest sale, he's wife. He outlines a basic sales process: "the only sales process you will ever need" and shares what he believes to be essential characteristics for success. He emphasizes being sold on your skill set/product and taking massive action. Cardone also talks about being able to view rejection as a relatively normal part of life and being willing to look foolish.
A unique part of his book is his emphasize on getting out of obscurity and his suggestions for how to use social media. Cardone maintains that your first concern is obscurity, if no one knows you no one will do business with you. He suggests using social media to get attention. In a funny way he argues that if you're not gaining haters you're probably not working hard enough on getting out of obscurity.
There is a couple sales attempts to the reader in which Cardone only gives a taste of his closing process and advertises his book and app on the subject.
I would have liked there to have been a little more on objection strategies, but overall it's an interesting book and a good introduction to sales.
First, Grant does a very good job of setting the foundation for being a sales professional and not an amateur. Professionals train and work every aspect of their career and "immerse themselves" in training material. He mentions the power of prediction and it totally changed my sales approach. This section is worth the price of the book alone.
Second, the author notes how "people knowledge" is more important than "product knowledge" in selling. Again, this is an issue few sales trainers cover in seminars or in their literature and Grant is 100% correct. People knowledge is far more important than product knowledge. Companies do a fairly good job training sales staff product knowledge but FAIL at teaching people knowledge.
Third, the real value of this book comes from his selling process. The five-step cycle is practical to nearly any industry in almost every context. So many sales trainers ignore time in a sales cycle and Grant highlights the importance of short sales cycles to serve customers better and make their experience more convenient.
If you can ignore the author's Dianetics references, this book is a must for salespersons new or 50 years in the business.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Amazing book, I recommend everyone read this multiple times! As well as all of grant Cardone books! They changed my life!Published 8 days ago by ryan
Wow, this book is incredible. Even if you aren't in sales, I would buy it. There are great sales and life concepts explained in an easy to digest, easy to understand way. Read morePublished 9 days ago by Anthony Kasunic
This was one of the best books i have read in my life. It has change my out look on things i do and what i am going to do now, I was a sale Novice but i working and studying to a... Read morePublished 11 days ago by Dominic
This is why GC is a beast folks! He puts it clearly and straightforward. He makes you understand that selling is for everyone, that it is a part of everyday life no matter what you... Read morePublished 13 days ago by Kyle Dunnahoo
Moved slow for me. Was repetitive, but understand that's just his style of teaching.Published 14 days ago by Andrea
Complete rubbish. Cordone is a con artist like the rest of these guys who make a career out of telling you how successful and rich they are when in reality they were broke when... Read morePublished 15 days ago by Beware of Con Men