5.0 out of 5 stars Every Author Needs This Book!
Published on September 12, 2011 by A. Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars Real up to date information on publishing and marketing
This book covers the where, the why and what to do very well. When it comes to the how I find it left me hanging.

Published 22 months ago by Greg Ferrett

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Author Needs This Book!, September 12, 2011
A. Miller (Petaluma, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sell More Books!: Book Marketing and Publishing for Low Profile and Debut Authors Rethinking Book Publicity after the Digital Revolutions (Paperback)
As a first-time author, I have devoured this book by J. Steve Miller! All authors, whether first time or seasoned, self-published or traditionally published, will benefit greatly from this guide to marketing your book. Mr. Miller has left nothing out; he starts at the beginning with a brief history of publishing, describing the recent revolution in publishing and how it affects authors.

In a clear, easy-to-understand, and friendly tone, Miller talks about everything you want to know about marketing your book, beginning with the title selection and book design. He discusses marketing before the book comes out and then marketing for the life of the book, which can be a very long time (fortunately for us author/marketers).

The best things about this book:

1. It is complete. Miller stresses that authors cannot do everything in the book, but he helps authors decide what is best for them, considering the book and the author's personality. Love the options!

2. Miller gives tons of links throughout the book. Love the links!!!

3. Miller has been through this and gives personal experiences as well as the advice of other experts. Love the inspiration of others!

Yes, there are other books on book promotion, but I find Sell Your Books to be the most complete and easy to use. Authors: This book will help you immensely!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's All In The Name, September 11, 2011
When I read the title, Sell More Books!, I couldn't imagine anything that would help ME to sell more books. After all, I had done nearly everything that had been suggested by marketing gurus and experts. What else was there that I hadn't already tried?

Originally my marketing plan consisted of a little bit of this and a little bit of that, hoping something might work. I was so afraid that if I didn't try everything, the one thing I didn't do would be the difference maker. Why I took this approach, I don't know, except to acknowledge that marketing is far more overwhelming and complicated than writing a book.

Oftentimes we are bombarded with a zillion suggestions from well-meaning marketing folks, and being the newbie that I was, I tried most of them. What I found, however, is that many of those highly touted things didn't work (and don't work for most new or low-profile authors). Do you really need a publicist, for instance? What about all those press releases that cost a lot of money? And a drawing up a marketing plan? What would that consist of, anyway? Sell More Books! will help

Once I began reading Sell More Books! I realized what I needed were not new methods or ideas but a strategy to help me evaluate what I had already done. And Sell More Books! did not disappoint. I never thought about incorporating what had worked into a marketing plan that would fit my needs and budget into the future. I think it's just human nature, like a cow, to think the grass on the other side of the fence is greener. Whatever we haven't done is what we think we need to do because somebody somewhere says so--and we think they know more than we do.

Sell More Books! made me realize I was not alone, but by following some common sense, inexpensive suggestions, I could resurrect my lagging sales and achieve better results. Simply put, I needed to look at those things that had worked and continue to pursue them. And lastly, but also very important, I was challenged not to sit on those ideas but to put them to good use. When you become discouraged, oftentimes the hardest part is just getting started again. And because Sell More Books! helped me to see the mistakes I had made, I felt I could trust Steve Miller on other aspects of marketing I wasn't as sure about.

Not everybody sells tons of books from TV and radio appearances--really? I thought I was the only one. What worked for me, I found myself asking? What about all of those wonderful book reviews I have posted on Amazon and other websites? Why not get some more? After all, you can't have too many.

These are just two ways to market out of dozens outlined in Sell More Books. The suggestions run the gamut for every type of book in print and every type of person. Yes, we are all different. Go with what works for you and throw out the rest. Don't feel like your book is a failure if something worked for someone else but doesn't work for you.

In addition, Steve Miller shares many stories from authors he has talked to first-hand regarding marketing--and has concluded, as I did, that many things are a waste of money. I wish I had read Sell More Books two years ago. I could have made better choices in marketing Children of Dreams, saving myself a lot of time, money, and discouragement.

Sell More Books is the best marketing book I have read. Buy yours today and don't repeat the mistakes others have made. You will be encouraged to keep on keeping on in the difficult world of marketing.

Lorilyn Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, December 29, 2012
This book really does have something for every author minus the hype that is so prevalent in books on marketing. I have read many books on writing and marketing for authors but this book is by far the most comprehensive I have seen. The author combines a well-researched, almost technical manual, with a very practical and user-friendly style. The author provides a great conversation on traditional verses inde publishing without the prejudicial view that most authors have about one or the other.

The author speaks with the voice of one who has been there through the good, the bad, and the ugly of book publishing and marketing. He tells it like it is and offers practical ideas to help those of us who are flooded with confusing and contradictory information.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it. Read it once and then go back to it again and again as a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for all First Time Authors, August 13, 2012
This is a great resource for shy, nerdy, unpopular, uncool folks who want to get their books published. The author talks about the ins and outs of the publishing world and its culture. He talks about the difficulty of a first time author getting published or getting their ideas out there because of the lack of a following or a "platform". If you don't have a platform, even if you wrote the next great American novel, most publishers won't take even the slightest interest in you.

However the author explains other options for us writer wannabes, especially for the "starving artist" type who are near broke. He explains how new technologies developed within the past 10-20 years have changed the world of publishing, such as the Internet and Print-On-Demand. He lays out options available that many people wouldn't think about or consider on their own. He also mentions that it is possible to create a good quality self-published book that can create a good following and also a return in sales. There are simply more options available to us today than when Johann Gutenberg first invented the printing press back in 1439. If you are serious about getting your books or your ideas out there, J. Steve Miller's book can help give you a plan for action. Then you can have the gratification of having your own published manuscript in the hands of others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful resource!, June 25, 2012
At this point, I am only halfway through, but have already been given lots of practical advice about marketing your own book. What I like most is the author's down-to-earth, self-deprecating way of speaking, and his constant encouragement not to give up. My favorite quote so far, "Many of the authors I meet tell me that they believe God prompted them to write their books. If that's you, just remember that if God helped you in the writing phase, I doubt He plans to dump you in the marketing phase. So call out to Him and trust Him, even when things look bleak. Even when it seems like nothing's working and nobody's buying, trust that God will help you get your book into the hands of those who need it most."

This was just one example of the author's direct way of speaking to the reader, as if you are having a conversation with him, not to mention that I found the point to be profound, funny, and unexpected in a topic such as this. I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Professionals do it like this, March 27, 2012
J. Steve Miller has done it again! If you want to actually make money as an author, thus allowing you to think of yourself as a professional in the field, you must buy, read, and USE this book. Hey, we all love to write about things we are passionate about. If you want to take your writing from being some type of part time hobby into the real world, where you actually get paid and recognized for the value of your efforts, if you want to have the opportunity to develop your talent into something that rewards your efforts, then buy, read, and USE this book. By the time you are done with it, you will have a step by step plan to go out and make some money. And you can use it over and over again, since Steve keeps it up to date with the ever changing dynamics of the publishing world we live in today. Once again, buy, read, and USE this valuable tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for all self-published authors, September 11, 2011
K Payne (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
As a self-published, low profile author, this book's title automatically grabbed my attention. A few years ago I wrote a book but did little to promote it. I read Steve's book with a highlighter and found myself using most of the pen's ink! I plan to put into effect much of Steve's marketing advice and hope to reap the benefits of his knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Helpful Book That I've Read, September 9, 2011
As someone returning to writing after 20 years, I've discovered so much has changed in the publishing and marketing world. Sell More Books! is a must read for any writer today because it quickly and efficiently brings you up to speed on how the electronic world of publishing can impact your book sales -- all in good ways if you are a savvy marketer. This book will get you there with lots of nuts and bolts information along the way.

3.0 out of 5 stars Real up to date information on publishing and marketing, November 28, 2012
Greg Ferrett (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews

The first thing I noticed there is no table of contents or index. For a Kindle this is a big no-no. Reading 'how to' and 'self help' books you need to go back and forward and with no TOC this is difficult, and couple this with no index there is no way to find out where the information might be - on indeed if the information is there at all.

The ground the author tries to cover is enormous! It needs to be broken up into two or three books allowing adequate coverage of many of the important topics.

The writing style early in the book is better structured. As the book develops it seems the style changes to more of a 'bullet point' style to try and cram everything in (see note on no TOC or Index). In the change the author makes a lot of great points, however, there are times when the point made leaves you with no where to go to find out more. For example, in chapter 5 'attract people with your cover' the point is well made an attractive cover is important. The only reference to finding a cover designer was "If you're concerned with containing costs, consider a graphic arts professor'. What if you don't know one? a reference to elance.com and other services would be easy to insert - but sadly these types of lists are missing.

Over and over there are great ideas and no way to follow them up.

I think a better start is From Word to Kindle: Self Publishing Your Kindle Book with Microsoft Word, or Tips for Formatting Your Text in MS Word So Your Ebook Doesn't Look Horrible (Like Everyone Else's) (Version 2)(I have no relationship - I just think this is a better start).

A great cover, with the author clearly following many of the ideas. For a self-help book, however, it is the information NOT included which lets the book down

I look forward to seeing the updated edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars A ton of great tips, March 17, 2014
I am not finished with this book yet but already have learned quite a few, scratch that, I have learned many tips already on how to approach my next book and will be more successful with it. Thanks Steve for putting this book together and sharing your experiences as well as others. I will take this book and read it many time. I have made notes in areas where I will need to come back to read again so I can apply them to my next book.

Rate and Discover Movies