Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

76%
24%
Format: MP3 MusicChange
Price:$9.49

on June 22, 2010
The acclaimed contemporary jazz guitarist Norman Brown has not only ensured that the musicianship on this album will be tight and cohesive, but also underlined the versatility and adaptability of the musicians who play with him.
It's his second release with Peak/Concord for but his eighth overall, in a career dating back to the early 1990's.
His 2002 album, Just Chillin', earned him a Grammy for best pop instrumental album, and that release, along with his earlier recordings for the MoJazz division of Motown Records, forms the basis of an impressive resumé.
On this album there is a good lineup of musicians : Herman Jackson on keys, Alex Al on bass, Teddy Campbell on drums, Jubu on rhythm guitar, Kevin Richard on percussion, and Melvin Moore III and Rochella Brown on vocals.
It includes nine original songs and a cover of Kenny Loggins' "Celebrate Me Home", which was co-written by pianist Bob James. The track is is dedicated to the troups, and Norman's second eldest daughter, serving in Iraq.
On this track, the vocals are provided by Norman himself, her daughter Rochella and The Sound of Blackness.
Norman's vocals as well deserve some special attention, as they range from soft and smooth ballads such as "One Last Goodbye".
There are plenty of pure instrumental sounds among the cuts too.
My favourites, the soulful opener "Come Go With Me", the laid back "Here's My Number", "Special Moments", a sweetly haunting and vibrant song that really shows off Brown's guitar virtuosity, and the Latin-tinged "Play Time", which features some smooth and funky grooves.
Nothing is really memorable here, but there's plenty to enjoy.
Despite the presence of a few weak moments, "Sending My Love" on the whole isn't a bad album.
Anyone who owns a copy of "After The Storm" or "Just Chillin'" knows that Brown is capable of a lot more, but even so, this disc has more going for it than a lot of the smooth jazz-oriented releases of 2010.

Just Chillin'
After the Storm
on September 11, 2010
The wife and I listen to this album together on our 25th wedding Annivesary. These tunes regenerated our libo's.
on July 18, 2010
I've always loved George Benson. Not only from his records but in concert for many years. When I heard the frist Norman Brown CD I thought this guy if the Future MR. Benson. His style,his music create the smooth sounds that I enjoy. I have to say, I have every CD he's brought out. This current CD will not let you down, take it from a smooth jazz lover from down under.
on July 28, 2010
Anybody who likes jazz should pick up Norman Brown's new CD. Not only are the tracks full of rich beats, hot licks and complex riffs...there's also a true meaning behind the album! Norman is speaking from the heart and it comes through in full force on Sending My Love. Do yourself a favor and pick this album up!
on October 5, 2010
Norman Brown has released another great CD. I am a Norman Brown fan and have seen him perform a number of times. He does a great rendition of Celebrate Me Home with Sounds of Blackness. Also he showcases his vocal talents a bit more than usual which is very nice. Any Norman Brown fan will love it.
on August 27, 2010
As usual I am never disappointed by this musician. His sounds are so mellow and upbeat at the same time. His guitar always puts me on a beach with a long tall drink in hand. Love Norman Brown. Keep stringing that guitar.
on August 26, 2010
Norman Brown is a great guitarist and this cd is another very good cd from a great guitarist and the writing is what seperates Brown other very good guitarists. Sending My Love, Here's My Number, Coming Back, as well as One Last Goodbye are my favorites. The song Play Time has some fast latin-like rhythms. This is excellent music to listen to while taking a short 1 hour trip because the pace and style of the music varies enough that it does not sound the same throughout. The song titled Celebrate Me Home is a gospel-jazz sounding number that uses the Sounds of Blackness choir as well as vocals from Brown and his daughter Rochela Brown and this song is a departure from what has been on Brown's albums before so it takes a couple of times listening to get what Brown is trying to do, especially if you never heard the original version of the song. If someone is looking for a jazz record that's not just a slow,smooth record, this is it. Sending My Love is worth the money and if you get the chance to see Norman Brown perform some of these tracks live as I did, it's worth the money.
on July 28, 2010
This cd is classic Norman Brown, although I didn't see where the track 'Celebrate me Home' fit in with the rest of this cd but the tracks are nicely arranged, my fav tracks are;

3. Sending My Love
5. Play Time
6. Special Moments
7. I'm Pouring my Heart Out

Norman Brown is one of the greatest guitar players out today as he has a distinctive sound that sets him apart from the rest. If you are a true Norman Brown fan then this cd is a must have for your collection
Having just been exposed to the music of Norman Brown,and only having two of his CD's it was only lucky this just happened to be the follow up to the other I had. In case most of you don't notice I tend to like to listen to two albums by the same artist one after the other,preferably follow ups so I can get an idea of their musical progression. Being a visual artist it really helps me to listen to music in this manner. Considering the largely instrumental jazz offerings of his previous album Stay With Me,it seemed more than appropriate that he would look to a more vocal and soulful approach on his follow up release. Considering the awkward way contemporary R&B was handled on that album,it seemed a creative gamble. But he actually made it work a lot better here.

The first three numbers "Come Go With Me","Thinking About You","Here's My Number" ,"I'm Pouring My Heart "and the title song are all funky,sleekly produced numbers-all of varying tempos and possessing grooves (and vocals in the case of the latter three) that are highly complimentary. All of them have a more R&B/funk flavor than jazz rhythmically. But in a more late 70's/early 80's mold than anything relating to the hip-hop cliches of urban contemporary R&B. My favorite number here is "Playtime",an uptempo horn packed salsa soul-jazz number with a strong melody to boot. The Sounds Of Blackness show up for a nice epic version of Kenny Loggins 70's soul standard "Celebrate Me Home" that's also of high musical and vocal quality of course.

The more traditional "smooth jazz" of "Special Moments" and "Coming Back",along with the more modern R&B style of the closer "One Last Goodbye" are the weaker of the numbers here. But even here the strength and feeling of Norman Brown's playing never abandons him and he continues to keep the musical tide at as high a level as possible. The generally more soulful and festive atmosphere of this album showcases a possible new future for the pop jazz sound without the cliches of either smooth jazz or contemporary hip-hop based productions. There was absolutely nothing wrong with where things were going in the late 70's/early 80's in jazz/funk/pop music. There was just the right mixture of slickness,instrumental ability,song craft and groove. And this showcases that,even in modern times those combinations can still work just as effectively.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2010
What else can you expect from an accomplished player like Norman Brown. If you don't love this project then you don't love Jazz. As one of the title's says , "Coming Back( The Return of the Man). This Cd is a must own for Jazz enthusiast.