5.0 out of 5 stars Shining in the dark...
"Senior" is a companion disc to last years "Junior" by Norwegian duo Röyksopp. Atmospheric and moody, the 9 tracks are all instrumentals.

Published on September 14, 2010 by Nse Ette

3.0 out of 5 stars too dark for me...
...obviously I should have guessed it from the cover :-), but I didn't expect anything like that.
I just loved Royksopp's previous albums and particularly so "Junior". I am only an amateur of electronic music, so I don't dare any technical judgment. I just follow my guts, and this album doesn't give me any positive vibe.
Published on August 5, 2012 by true

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Shining in the dark..., September 14, 2010
This review is from: Senior (Audio CD)

The dreamy soundscapes vary in feel from the ambient opener "...and the Forest Began to Sing", the bouncier space ride that is "Tricky Two", the careful trot of "The Alcoholic", the stunning guitar-festooned sweeping "Senior Living" (my favourite), the flickering "The Drug", the tempo-shifting "Forsaken Cowboy" (with lovely tinkling of the ivories), the dark and creepy "The Fear", the almost hymnal New Age-sounding "Coming Home", to the ambient closer "A Long, Long Way" (that sounds like what watching the stars would sound like).

Fans of their instrumentals like "In Space" or the ubiquitous "Eple" off their debut "Melody AM" will find much to love here. Röyksopp show they don't need guest vocalists to shine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sort of "uneventful" but good, March 6, 2011
This review is from: Senior (MP3 Music)
I think Royksopp is one of the better groups that's come along in a while. Compared to their previous albums, Senior doesn't seem to have much variety. It's pretty much all dark and moody without any "bright spots." It isn't even very "synthy." That's not necessary a bad thing but it IS a little one-dimensional. My favorite songs on Senior are The Alcoholic and Forsaken Cowboy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Royksopp excels again, September 25, 2010
This review is from: Senior (Audio CD)
I have now listened to Senior over 10 times, and each time it gets better. While this CD is much more mellow than Junior, it is just as much enjoyable. It is deep and relaxing. I highly recommend it to any Royksopp fan!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well planned and lovely, June 3, 2012
This review is from: Senior (MP3 Music)
I haven't really enjoyed a Royksopp album since Melody AM. Junior was the perfect example of what I didn't like, seemingly embodying the essence of fad-driven synth and youthful, annoyingly simple lyrics. It appealed to the youth, in short. This album, Senior, is far more thoughtful (in my opinion) and provides a more open canvas for internalizing the music (some may call that "boring".) It's easier to listen to and is generally peaceful. I thought the two albums were very accurately titled. Listeners should remember that neither the terms "Junior" nor "Senior" assume any sort of positivity or negativity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Downtempo than "Junior" but still good., January 23, 2011
bcebce (Ankara,TURKEY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Senior (Audio CD)
after their critically acclaimed 2009 album "junior", röyksopp released this as a counter-part to that one and they have been saying from the beginning that it may not be as accessible as "junior" to their new listeners. "senior" is not a pop album, it's introspective, withdrawn, atmospheric and must be approached as a whole rather than track by track.
if you've heard of röyksopp with "junior", there's a good chance that you won't like this but if you're into some of their early stuff, this might be what you've been waiting for since their debut.

3.0 out of 5 stars too dark for me..., August 5, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars The Album name says it all, January 23, 2011
This review is from: Senior (Audio CD)
Senior is a wonderful reply to Junior. Instead of the friendly pop and hard synths that graced Junior, Senior is defined by slow moving, soft yet bass-rich tracks that don't demand much from the listener but to recline and enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intricate unconventional venture., November 22, 2010
This review is from: Senior (Audio CD)
Royksopp seems dark with this album. Enjoyable yet unconventional tracks range in this recent release. Check out Forsaken Cowboy,

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable departure from what you expect from Royksopp, January 9, 2013
This review is from: Senior (Audio CD)
When I purchased this CD I assumed I was purchasing something akin to their album, Junior, and was quite surprised to see how different this was from not only that album, but much of their previous releases as well. Now this is not to say that I didn't enjoy it, because I did. Merely, at times I felt I was listening to an album from Ulrich Schnauss and then it felt like I was listening to Orbital and then early (before Semantic Spaces) Delerium. It is an interesting mix and I like the down-tempo nature of it but don't expect their usual fare. Don't get me wrong, they definitely put their signature stamps on many of the tracks but it's just a different type of album.

I gave it a four out of five not because it was a departure but because I don't feel some of their tracks were quite up to the high level I expect from them. Specifically, "A Long, Long Way" (not cohesive enough) and others that did not leave a really strong impression. It is that lack of a strong impression that hurt it for me in the end. With that said, it is still a very good album to listen to as a whole, it just doesn't have that signature moment or track that would make me yearn to listen to it time after time.

While it was unexpected, Royksopp made a very good down-tempo album that would be a welcome addition to anyone's catalog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better (of course), December 30, 2011
M. Thome (Columbus, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Senior (Audio CD)
Senior, by default should be better than Junior, based solely on logic. Once again the new and strange end up becoming the beloved and unique. Viewing this cd as a "spiritual follow up" to Junior is an easy review, but its really more than that. Tricky two is a clear example of this idea. But Senior is so deep and almost tangible, that it, I think, will change even the biggest Royksopp fan's opinion of what Norway's best can bring us.

I love this CD. I listened to it once, then put it on the shelf. Three months later, I listened to it 3 times in a row. Then once each day for three days. Each track really blends into the previous without overshadowing itself or any other track. This is the follow up to Junior, but Senior takes Junior to school.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Senior
Senior by Royksopp (Audio CD - 2010)