4.0 out of 5 stars Finally an earbud type headphone that stays put!
Published on February 11, 2007 by Melanie Tye

1.0 out of 5 stars Inferior Product, Despite Brand Name
Published on April 15, 2008 by jim

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally an earbud type headphone that stays put!, February 11, 2007
This review is from: Sennheiser MX 55VC Twist-To-Fit In-Ear Stereo Headphone w/ Volume Control (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have been on a neverending quest for earbuds since I purchased my iPod. I don't know if my ears are weird or what, but all the ones I have tried before (the Apple ones being the worst) fall out of my ears very easily. I would be sitting at my desk, simply typing, and before I knew it the earbud would just slide out of my ear. It is so annoying to be constantly pushing earbuds back into your ear all day long. After searching high and low, and spending more money than I thought I ever would on various headphones and earbuds, I found the Sennheiser MX55V Stereo Headphones w/ Twist-to-fit System & Volume Control.

These headphones have been a godsend! They fit in my ear and they stay put! I seriously thought it just wasn't possible, but these do. Now, I only gave them 4 stars because after extended wearing my ears are sore afterwards. They take some time to get used to and you have to try different 'positions' to get the fit that suits you best. I wasn't sure how to wear them when I first got them either, they should come with more detailed instructions. So, there is a little pieace over the actual speaker- this piece wedges in and holds the headphones in place. This is where the 'soreness' comes in. My ears, and probably most people's ears are not used to having something in that area of the ear, so, like I said earlier, they take some time to get used do.

But the bottom line is that these work great. They have NOT FALLEN OUT ONCE! The difference between this model and the green MX75 (besides 20$) is that the MX75s are sweat resistant. It looks like they come with same items and are almost the same headphone.

FYI- both the MX55V & the MX75 come with different pads & fittings to ensure they fit your ear perfectly. I did have to change from the pad it came with to the smallest one.

Also, I LOVE the volume control. Basically about midway down the wire there is a small piece with a cool looking slider. The slider allows you to lower or raise the volume (not fully but within a certain range of the volume you previously set). This is great, because I do not have to fumble for my iPod in my pocket (or worse remove the earbud) when someone at work asks me a question, now I can just use the slider to lower the volume. The sound is good on these I have no complaints, but I am no audiophile either. If you have read this far into the review then I assume you are serious about buying these- and you should. If you have tried all the rest and are now ready to get a pair that truly fit, then buy these! Just remember, they take a couple days to get used to, so do NOT give up on these guys. Seriously, the best thing to do is play around with them and find what works for you- that's what is great about these customizable headphones!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! Affordable good headphones for my iPod!, December 20, 2006
D. Weber (Palo Alto, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have tried several sets of headphones that I could use with my iPod while exercising. I was underwhelmed with the sound quality of the new Apple headphones for iPods. I tried the inner ear ones, but I can hear every step I take through my ears! These have an excellent fit and a good clear sound, all at a very reasonable price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound quality, April 5, 2007
These entry level Sennheiser earbuds have excellent sound quality for the price. I was a bit skeptical; I'm familiar with some of Sennheiser's higher end products, but thought I'd take a chance on these to use with my MP3 player. I wasn't disappointed - these earbuds sound better than anything else in this price class. Also, as other reviewers have noted, they are designed very well and stay in your ears. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stay in ears, but small annoyances too, July 27, 2007
The main feature of these headphones is the twist-to-fit system, which I think is great. There are different sized parts to try on your ear, and once you get the right fit, they really do stay in your ear. I sweat when running and earphones usually fall out, but not with these. The sound is also great, and there is a handy volume control on the wire to the earphones.

Problems: No clip, which makes the volume control annoying when running unless you hold it; I don't like the style when the earphones have uneven lengths on each side (right side longer than left). I realize you're supposed to put it behind your neck but its still annoying.

In summary, these are really useful earphones which need just a few small additions to make them much better. While the MX-75 is almost identical, I would pick these because its half the price, the color is not bright neon green, the waterproof feature is over-rated and a clip (on MX-75) isn't worth paying double for essentially the same earphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Headphones(But Tight Fit), May 28, 2007
I blew the headphones that came with my Ipod. So it took me a while to find a nicely priced pair that worked great. These headphones work great they have great bass and they con go nice and loud if you like rock music. The volume control is nice because then you can put that all the way down so you don'e have them too loud. The pouch that came with them was nice because I use for the Ipod cable splitter and the old headphones in case anyone one the bus will want to listen.

The only thing I don't like about them is that if you have small ears the headphones will push them out and your ears will get very sore. Other than that these headphones are great.

I highly recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars They Really Do Fit, January 18, 2007
They really have a unique design that not only keeps them in your ears but positioned for best sound. I have a few others but they don't offer the bass response after they slip around. The volume control is a small slider the perfect distance from the earphones so you don't have to fumble around with adjusting volume at your MP3 player. There are a lot of extra fitting adapters, actually more than I could even figure out but I'm happy with the way they came. They even have replacement "name strips" if you want to change colors. They are the best I've found thus far anywhere near this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best headphones I've used, September 11, 2007
Frankly, this is the ONLY set of headphones which stay IN my ears when exercising. I will inevitably brush the headphone cord with my hand when stepping, cycling or running, and every other headphone pulls loose due to the tug. The MX55V was slightly uncomfortable in my ears when first purchased but feels fine now. I replaced all my other headphones with this model and am 100% satisfied.

The volume slide control is also very handy when people need to converse with you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Inferior Product, Despite Brand Name, April 15, 2008
jim (charlotte, nc) - See all my reviews
I purchased these earphones about 4 months ago based on the supposedly "innovative" design and the Sennheiser name. My intention was to use them for jogging/the gym, as my Sony headphones don't have a good fit. A total waste of 30+ bucks. The Sennheisers consistently fall out of my ear. I had to go back to using my $15 Sony earphones - the sound isn't great, but they don't fall out of my ear.

My assessment of the sound:
Highs/Treble - Good
Mids - Ok
Low/Bass - Bad (I'm still waiting for the basswind to kick in).

Some folks have written pretty decent reviews, so I guess it stays in for them. I would advise against buying these unless you have a friend who owns them and who will let you try them on for size - they might not let you run in them, but a quick, brisk walk would suffice! Yes, they did fall out of my ears just by walking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Headphones (so far), May 16, 2007
I am very pleased with these 'ear-bud' type headphones. They stay in your ears and the sound dynamic is very good. The volume control is handy when your mp3/radio/whatever is out of reach in a bag or pocket. The plug seems pretty sturdy and (I hope - time will tell) it seems less likely to fail in it's connection -- I HATE it when there is wear on the plug and you only get sound from the right or left speaker. They do take some getting used to in your ears and I think if your ears are small you may have some discomfort with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW-Great New Technology, April 4, 2008
The Time Keeper "Dave" (Battle Ground, WA. USA) - See all my reviews
Am I ever glad I purchased these. These are terrific earbuds with fantastic sound. The sound is jaw dropping and the fact that the earbuds come with optional size fitting attachments for the locking section and the sound section, allows the individual to customise the fit perfectly. I have been so impressed with these they go with me everywhere. The slide volume control is nice and smooth, so I set my volume a little high and do my final control with the slide. These are a great buy for the money and I recommend them to audiophiles of which I am one. Great sound and Great fit and Great price. You cannot go wrong.