5.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser in-ear headphones
Published on January 7, 2008 by William A. Depalo Jr.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds is great - problems with cord
Published on April 25, 2009 by FK57

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser in-ear headphones, January 7, 2008
This review is from: Sennheiser CX 500-T In-Ear Headphone (Titanium color) (Electronics)
Sennheiser in-ear headphones are the best iPod portable listening devices I have encountered. They reproduce sound superbly across the full spectrum from treble to bass. These headphones come with a variety of sized ear pieces that allow the user to get a custom in-ear fit that stays put whether running, lifting weights or just chilling. Additionally, Sennheiser has integrated a volume control into one of the cords which enables the listener to adjust the volume without having to access the iPod itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars This exceeds my expectations & great deal for the money, March 12, 2009
This is the second pair of Sennheiser in-ear headphones I have owned. My first pair was the CX 300. I prefer these for a couple of reasons. The first one is due to equal length of cord for each side of the ear pieces. The CX 300 has one that is shorter than the other. To me the only advantage of having one side of the cord shorter than the other is to help you know which one is for the left ear. This would be an advantage if reading very small print is a ch allege for you. The second reason why I appreciate this one more than the CX 300 is the in-line volume control. This is very helpful when you need to have a conversation with someone or if you are multi-tasking.

The sound quality of the Sennheiser headphones is excellent and I have owned many, many headphones over the past 30 plus years. You get great sound isolation and a superb bass response when you have them fitted inside your eye canal correctly. Before I bought my first pair of Sennheiser headphones, I never thought it was possible to get such a great bass and fullness of sound with ear buds.

Since I use mine a lot at night to help me go to sleep, the fact they fit so well inside your ear canal allows you to use them even with your head turned to one side or the other without any problems of hurting your ears. I highly recommend them as replacement headphones for any MP3 player.

5.0 out of 5 stars So this is what I've been missing, October 22, 2008
I just got these today and all I can say is WOW! I am so impressed with the sound quality over my regular ipod head phones and they actually fit in my ear and stay there! I have really small ears and finding earphones that would stay put and not irritate me I thought up until now was an impossible task. They come with so many different earpieces that one is sure to fit. The bass and depth to the sound is awesome and I love the volume control on the cord. The only negative is the cord wrapper thingie. It's pretty useless. I like the little bag it comes with though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a $400 headphone in your ear, June 10, 2009
Sennheiser CX 500-B In-Ear Headphone (Black)

I have several moderate to high grade headphones (Sennheiser, AKG, etc)
and a set of ultimate ear earphones (ca. $200/set). I bought the SennheiserCX500 earphones because I love my SH 100x, and the price was right. Wow!!! these earbuds amazed me. Definition of instruments was fantastic, and the frequency spectrum was well balanced: clear but not booming base, and crystal clear highs that had no hint of stridence. After trying these, I immediately ordered another set from Amazon. They are BETTER than my more expensive earphones, especially when the balance of comfort and sound is taken into account.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, good purchase, May 21, 2009
Other people have detailed what comes in the package, so I won't rehash that.

My main purpose in looking around was the comfort factor. I think the ear buds provided by Apple sounded pretty good, but after a few hours they hurt my ears.

After many years of ear buds, these are my first pair of canal phones and that takes a little getting used to, but I no longer have sore ears after a few hours of listening.

I would rate the sound of these equal to the headphones provided by Apple. With one exception. The inside-the-ear difference became immediately noticeable listening to Lindsey Buckingham's "Great Day". That particular song is definitely a "wow" with the Sennheiser's.

I believe a product warrants 5 stars based on a combination of two things: Does it exceed your expectations AND would you purchase it again? I have to say that these headphones are quite acceptable. I am not going to return them, but they don't "wow" me (with that one exception mentioned), and if I need to purchase headphones again I'll look at other products. I am, however, happy enough with the product that I will definitely include Sennheiser in future purchase considerations.

A note of caution about the volume control: When I used the headphones one day they sounded uncharacteristically "muddy". Turning up the volume control on my iPod didn't help and I subsequently discovered that I had accidently moved the volume control from "Max" to midway between "Max" and "Min" on the headphones.

I was also worried I would not be able to hear the phone ring or my dogs bark. I can.

After spending more hours than a sane person should reading reviews of all types of headphones I was worried that I might lose some bass. No worries there.

And for those of you who might be like me and wondering if there is anything to this "breaking in" business you see mentioned in any number of reviews:

The short answer is no. I have a friend who is a an engineer (he has designed recording studios from scratch, and holds a handful of patents for specialized audio equipment he has designed) and he burst out laughing when I asked him about it. But I pursued it and he put the matter to rest with the following:

"I thought I'd turn to a scientist for an answer. Dr. Floyd Toole is a researcher who worked for the National Research Council of Canada for 25 years doing speaker research for Canadian loudspeaker manufacturers. He published several landmark papers on this topic. He later became Director of R&D for Harmon International, from which he recently retired. Harmon owns such respected speaker and headphone companies as Revel, AKG, Infinity, and JBL.

"Last year Dr. Tool wrote an excellent book called "Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms," and I thought I'd look there to see if he had anything to say about "breaking-in." Sure enough, he does. Only, his research shows that what's really being broken in is the listener. The listener adapts to the particular sound of a new speaker, headphone, etc. and it takes some hours before that sound becomes fixed as "right" in the mind of the listener."

My friend scanned page 353 of the book and e-mailed it to me in which Dr. Toole has a sidebar about "breaking in" and the scientific measurement of such. As Dr. Toole logically points out if there was anything to "breaking in" why aren't used speakers/headphones more expensive than their original price? He also asks why things always improve after "breaking-in". He would have expected some things to sound better, but others to degrade slightly, but as Dr. Toole notes "... engineers seek out materials, components, and construction methods that do *not* change with time."

The people who talk about "breaking in" headphones are well-intentioned, but there is no scientific measurable basis for their observations.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds is great - problems with cord, April 25, 2009
FK57 (Dallas, TX) - See all my reviews
If you love earbuds, the sounds produced by these is terrific. Be wary of the volume controller on this unit. The right ear bud on my set is not producing music at the same level as the left. I believe there is a wiring connection problem where the volume controller connects to the earbud wires. I've had these for over a year and use them 10 hours a week. Problem with sound is a relatively new issue, but I would have expected the earbuds to last longer than 1 year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser headphones CX500, April 16, 2009
Damon Evans (West Point, NY) - See all my reviews
I just received my headphones yesterday and I am definitely liking them. They sound great. They fit nice and snug (once you figure out the right size). They totally block out all external sounds.
Great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect upgrade earbuds, April 16, 2009
Ekawa (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Having several iPods (shuffle and touch), I was very tired of the standard earbuds not fitting in my ears and audio quality lacking. I hadn't tried any other earbuds so I went with a company name I was familiar with. Working with their headphones and microphones I decided to take a shot on these earbuds. I am very happy with them and glad I took the leap from the standard iPod ones to these.

Pros: Great fit and sound.
Solidly made (doesn't feel like they will fall apart with normal usage).
Priced reasonable.
Volume slider on cable is convenient.

Cons: Takes a little getting used to if you haven't worn earbuds.

Overall if you have the funds and want quality, I would recommend these. I looked at many brands and price ranges for earbuds before buying and couldn't be happier with these. Earbuds are not something you can really try before buying so looking only gets you so far. I was grateful for all the reviews on these and continue the recommendation for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, March 24, 2009
While I'm not an audiophile by any means, I certainly enjoy listening to music. My previous set of eat buds were some sony in ears, don't remember the model but they certainly were not very expensive. These had decent sound quality.

Once my cx 500's arrived I did a bit of a burn in and fiddled with the rubber pieces to determine which ones had the best fit.

I'm generally using these either with my iPod Touch 2G and my macbook for movies.

I've been using the ear buds for about 2 months now and am thoroughly enjoying them. I listen to a fairly wide range of music from rock / metal / punk to hip hop to electronica. Sound is clear with good highs and lows. Bass doesn't get too muddy or overpowering sounding.

I like that there are plenty of rubber adapters in the pack, 6 sets in all, a carrying case for the headphones and some rubber thing which I have no idea what it's really for...I think it's to protect the ear buds...can anyone clarify?

Anyhow, all in all great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than i thought..., August 24, 2009
I used those in-ear buds now for a while and i just can say: AWESOME Sound! Everything sounds clear and the bass is incredible! Never thought that you can get so much out of those little things ;)

and one of those "ear adapters" will fit - take the time to figure out the best 4 you! also the volume control is pretty cool!

I use it with my iPhone and now i am getting crazy when i have to take the (original) headset, because the sound of them is so weak!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›