5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Sound Quality for the Price
Published on October 2, 2009 by Uncle Lew

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound, lacks durability
This review comes after five months of use.

Published on May 10, 2011 by T. Catranis

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Sound Quality for the Price, October 2, 2009
This review is from: Sennheiser CX400-II-B In-Ear Headphone with Dynamic Speaker System and Integrated Vol Controls (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Similar to another reviewer here, I was looking to replace the stock earbuds that came with my new iPod Nano (5th generation). As a former recording engineer, I tend to expect my music to come across in reasonably high fidelity, that is, full frequency response with all the highs and lows present. Mind you, I'm not a crazy audiophile nut, but I'm probably more picky than most.

My first replacement attempt was a pair of Jbuds J2 Premium, but I was sorely disappointed in their sound quality. Highs were severely attenuated and the midrange appeared to emanate from a 32 gallon oil drum. It was like I was in a tunnel. So, I started doing my research.

Sennheiser has always been a high-quality audio company - every studio I've worked in has had Sennheiser headphones (and Sennheiser microphones, in addition to Shure, AKG, etc.). I know, and love, the sound of Sennheiser, so when I came across their brand of earbuds, I stopped my research, realizing I'd come home.

And when they arrived, I wasn't disappointed. Beautiful frequency range up to 22K Hz (regardless of whether one can actually hear that high in the spectrum is irrelevant - overtones live around 18K - 22K, so having this high-end margin really lets percussion and other high-frequency producing instruments sing through.)

I was also pleased to be ordering the cx400-II model, an improvement over the previous cx400, which only comes with a short cable plus an extension cord. That's too much weight, and having a connector between the device and the earbuds is just another place where something can fail. BTW, unless it's been changed since I wrote this, the picture on Amazon's cx400-II order page shows the cx-400 - you can see the extension cable. Don't worry, just place the order...you'll receive the cx400-II. I don't know what the "MK" stands for; it isn't on Sennheiser's website, nor is it anywhere on the packaging when you receive the cx400-II.

Another plus is the cx400-II comes with lots of different earbud tips to choose from, both single and double-flanged. My fav is the small, single flange. The cx400-II also comes with a cord winder, a wire clip you can optionally use (clips the wire to your shirt) and a little leatherette-style carry bag.

I realize there are better (and more expensive) earbuds out there with dual and even triple drivers, but for a single driver version, these Sennheiser earphones are great - and perfectly priced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb sound quality, plus excellent noise isolation, October 30, 2009
eric_f (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
Oh, how these earphones are sweet. I'm no audiophile, but one doesn't have to be in order to hear the difference between these and lower quality ones. It's like night and day. One thing I need, and I mean absolutely *require* when listening to music, is good strong bass. These fit the bill. And yet, the bass never overpowers the other elements of the music. Everything is mixed together just right. Yesterday I was listening to Cartel's new song "Faster Ride" and it was pure music bliss.

One great feature of this CX 400-II model is that the cord consists of only one piece. The CX 400 model (and perhaps other previous models as well) had a very short cord, presumably intended for those who store their iPod or MP3 player in a breast pocket, and a longer cord that one had to connect to it if they wanted to actually hold their music device. This connection requirement caused unwanted extra weight to the earphones. So having just one cord is a welcome change.

The cord in this model has a slide volume control knob, which to me is the only unnecessary feature. It is quite small, so the range of volume that one can select is fairly minimal, not to mention having to use precise control to get the desired volume level. So I just keep it all the way to Max and use my iPod Touch's volume control. It works fine, and I highly recommend doing that.

Another thing worth mentioning is the excellent noise isolation that this provides. I live in Boston and take the subway to commute to and from work, and that's one place where I listen to my iPod Touch. Anyone who has been to Boston knows that our subway cars screetch, scream, grate, and make other ear-piercing noises due to it being the oldest subway system in the country. Before I bought these earphones I was using the Apple pair that came with my iPod Touch, and of course, the sounds of the subway totally drowned out any and all music I was listening to. Well I'm just amazed as to how these actually let me hear the music when I'm in the subways. It doesn't totally block out the sounds (these are noise isolating, not noise eliminating), but it sure comes close.

Finally, a word about counterfeits. As many others have mentioned, they're all over the place. I recently bought a CX 400 model through a third-party seller here and got a counterfeit. I first suspected they were counterfeit due to the muddy and "flat" sound quality. After doing some research I confirmed that that's one sign of a counterfeit. But the best way to tell is actually by looking at the small imitation leather bag that comes with these. All bags have the "S" emblem on them, however, counterfeits will have the "S" the exact same color as the rest of the bag. A genuine one will have the "S" a darker shade of black and also shiny. The overall quality of the bag will also be a lot better. So if you think that you might have a counterfeit, check the bag out. And pay the extra money and buy directly from Amazon - too many counterfeits out there (and some third party sellers may not even know that they're selling fakes). The old cliche "you get what you pay for" holds true in this case.

All in all, I highly recommend these earphones for someone who's looking for great sound quality and good noise isolation. You can't go wrong with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, June 29, 2009
I ordered this when looking for a replacement for my ipod earphones and since I already owned Sennheiser HD201 headphones and very impressed with Sennheiser products so I thought I gave this a try. The sound quality is stunning, though it does not advertise "noise cancelling" as other products but it reduces lots of outside noise when you listen to music. Bass is strong for a tiny earphones. High is also clear.

[...]

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound, lacks durability, May 10, 2011
T. Catranis (Schuylkill Haven, PA) - See all my reviews
This review comes after five months of use.

The Sennheiser CX400-II-B In-Ear Headphones provided reasonably good sound quality as would be expected from Sennheiser. Very good for the price actually. The fit and sound isolation was good. I have found them comfortable and secure in many operations. They also were not uncomfortable when you fall asleep with them in your ears.

Cons: I noticed upon opening the package that the cables appeared thin and fragile. The cables also lacked a cinch sleeve which, though small, makes a huge difference when adjusting the head phone and cables. But the bigger problem was that after five months of use, the right side speakers became defective. Volume has dropped to about one half on the right side.

I like the style and quality at first use, but the durability was lacking. I will be purchasing another brand, and next time spend a bit more.

2.0 out of 5 stars I've Gone Through Two Pairs This Year, October 26, 2009
One big note with these - durability. I'm traveling all year and am sad to report that I've gone through two pair. In both cases, one of the bud speakers went out. I'm not sure if the wire became disconnected inside the bud or what, but there was no sign of a physical problem upon examination. I'm a SUCKER for these headphones and have bought about 5 pairs of various models over the years but they all end in some kind of quizzical doom.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great either, February 4, 2011
I'm a starving college student and I walk everywhere to save on beer funds and my data plan. I bought these to replace my stock blackberry headphones, and in that regard they are great. Bass is alright for an in-ear setup, although they do sound slightly tinny and lacking in the mids. Bass rolls off pretty sharp anywhere below 50hz.

My problem initially was with the cord. It's a rubber job that transfers a lot of noise when the cable moves around. Also, the volume slider is garbage. Most of the adjustment is in the last mm of slider movement, and it tends to adjust the left and right volumes differently unless at 100% volume. Finally there is the connector. The stress reliever plastic that should be molded to the actual wire is not. So after about 4 months of use the headphones stopped working.

I was pretty happy with the sound, too bad they fell apart so quick. So I guess if you're an active person look around for something a little more durable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of static, December 27, 2011
I bought these because Consumer Reports recommended them and was looking for a step up from my Skull Candy earphones. First off I noticed they weren't as comfortable as my old pair. I played around with some of the buds and found a pair I was ok with. Then I noticed I had to turn the volume up a good bit on my ipod touch to get the same sound as before. Then I started noticing intermittent static. I reseeded the plug, but still hearing it. I just gave up and went back to my old Skull Candy earphones. I'll keep these for a spare pair when I travel...disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound, April 21, 2010
I have had a pair of Sennheiser CX300's for over three years and these are the replacements. Good sound quality and really good sound isolation. I wear them at night when I go to sleep listening to a radio. no problems with them being in all night. I leave the volume slider at max and use the volume control on the radio or iPod. I like the ear cords being the same length, as opposed to the 300's. I expect they will last as well as the 300's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Key-phrase "natural sound", May 7, 2010
Derreck Robinson (Salt Lake City, UT) - See all my reviews
These headphones are great as long as you understand that they are meant to provide a natural sound, there not super base heavy, which if there were I honestly think it would make them worst because these have to be the most clear and balance headphones I've ever used. If your looking for headphones that have good base but don't over power the mids and highs look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is no going back to regular earbuds., February 14, 2010
I first used these on a 20-hour flight, and they are comfortable enough that I left them in even when I wasn't listening to music, they minimized the drone of the engines and passengers enough that I could snooze very well. The only "discomfort" when wearing them for these extended periods is that empty-ears feeling when you remove them. They are light and with the included 6 different shaped rubber pads, you can find one that fits you best. If you have trouble getting them in properly, it helps if you pull the top of your ear upwards to help insert them fully.

Since that flight, I've been using them near-daily for a couple weeks now, I've decided there's two ways to listen with these.
Method #1 is to turn the volume down as low as you can and you'll have good, clear background music. With the noise elimination, you can still hear your music clearly and have reduced noise from everything around you. Mids and highs are good and clear at this level, but there is no kick to the bass at all. This is how I usually listen, since I have to be able to hear when people call for me in the office. Whenever I take them off, I am assaulted by how much louder the ambient noise is than the music I've been listening to. When putting them back in after being away, the music sounds very quiet, and takes a minute for my ears to return to that level sensitivity.
A warning with this method: your ears will be so trained at the lower level that if you eat tortilla chips in this method, you will be deafened.

Method #2 is to turn it up to a medium level so that they're "level" with noise around you. They'll sound like normal conversation volume, but with the isolation, it'll sound louder than it really is, and the bass will kick very, very well. I do this so rarely that whenever I do, it surprises me how fantastic they reproduce music. I have worn them this way when jogging and they work quite well.

To take these up to full volume is to simulate a live rock concert, and I do not recommend it. They get LOUD.

A final note - the earbud holder that comes with them is almost as good an engineering feat as the headphones themselves. It is made of a very soft plastic/rubber with rubber cups to hold the buds. This keeps them clean while in a pocket or your bag, since even the cleanest ears is going to make them slightly sticky and pick up lint, crumbs or dust from the environment.