Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 193 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on December 7, 2004
First the good: These headphones sound wonderful. I've used them to watch TV and play games on the computer. Sound quality is excellent, no complaints. The chord is also pretty long, around eight feet I'd guess...long enough to get from my TV to my bed. The overall construction is very high quality and they should last for a very long time. Sennheiser is a great company, and the quality of these headphones is excellent.

Now the bad: Like some others have mentioned, they aren't the most comfortable headphones after an extended period of time. Here is why: The headphones are big enough to cover your ears...but they are not deep at all. What happens is the hard inside of the headphone (not the cushy padding surrounding it) ends up pressing on your ears. This is fine at first...but after about an hour it really starts to hurt.

I can think of two situations that might make this better. If you have very small ears they might fit inside and not hit the hard inside. If you have very large ears, the cushy padding might rest on your ears instead of around them...keeping the hard inside away from your ears. I'd consider my ears of normal size, and my above "ideas" are probably wishful thinking.

The only solution I've found is to wear a beanie during use. This provides a nice padding between my ear and the hard inside. Luckily it's cold right now, but during the summer this doesn't help much. :) Again, they sound great, but be wary of the comfort.
on February 24, 2006
I have read every single review about HD 202 here before I bought it. Some people complained about its tight fit and ear sore, but bought it anyway because I knew Sennheiser's reputation. After I tested it for about two days, I decided to return it.

For the sound quality and its look, it was awesome! There are a lot of good reviews about the sound quality, so I will not talk about it any more here.

However, if you need it for long listening, you may want to re-consider to buy it. I emailed Amazon.com about this tight fit problem. According to their reply, it seems that some other people complained of the same problem and Amazon.com agreed that it is a real problem. The below is the email they wrote to me. I hope it will be helpful to you.

"As it seems that the problem with this item is more widespread than we originally thought, we would also refund you for the return shipping charges upon return of the "Sennheiser HD 202 Headphones"
on April 19, 2005
I ordered a set of HD202s for use at work. I'm quite happy with the sound that they produce. I listen to a lot of talk radio, and these headphones work just fine for that purpose. When listening to music, the bass response is wonderful as well. They also block out a lot of the sounds from other people from around my work area. I sit in a cube with people all around and these do a good job at blocking the sounds of their voices, typing, phones, etc.

The only reason I'm rating these 3 stars is that they hurt my ears. I have a small head and small ears, so when I read other reviews related to the tight fit, I was hoping they would work for someone like me. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. I need to remove these every 20-30 minutes because of the uncomfortable pain they cause.

While these headphones sound great, I wouldn't recommend them due to the tight fit.
on February 24, 2003
I am in an office where the desks are quite close to each other. Sound travels abundantly. I purchased these headphone in an effort to cut out ambient sound and keep in audio sound. These headphone definitely meet the task. The sound is quite good. I am hearing instrument I didn't even know were there. The thing is they really crush my ears. I am not aware of any over growth in this area. I imagine there are others with ears as big (and perhaps bigger!). This is truly subjective, but I will tell you that every day I have to weigh out the pain of the headphones versus filtering out the ambient office noise. This seams like an unreasonable daily dilemna. My advice would be to try on a headphone (closed one that is) before purchasing it.
VINE VOICEon November 12, 2007
1010 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 13, 2007
I feel it is my social duty to mention that these headphones are NOT over the ear. As I understand the term "over the ear," the entirety of one's ear should be completely inside the cup. These headphones *cover* the entire ear (which makes for surprising noise reduction, incidentally), but the back part of the ear ends up getting pressed against the skull. In short bursts--say, half an hour--these headphones are great. However, if you plan on watching a two-hour movie or listening to music for an extended period, forget it. When the ear pain starts to set in, one must remove these headphones to let the ears recover.

Perhaps this design is ultimately a stroke of genius, for if the maximum time that one can comfortably use these headphones maxes out at around a half an hour, this is a built-in way to reduce hearing damage. :)

Aside from the aforementioned issue with comfort, these headphones do provide excellent sound. If you don't plan on long listening sessions or you have incredibly small ears, in which case the cups just might fit around them, then I would recommend these headphones.

One additional plus is that the plastic case these come in is incredibly easy to open (no scissors needed). I wish more manufacturers of electronics would realize that consumers do not want to blindly cut through dense, resistant plastic, possibly cutting wires or other niceties.
on January 30, 2007
These headphones perform wonderfully, especially considering their low price. I have listened to rock, pop, country, and classical music, and these phones have sounded great in all genres. However, after extended wear, they began to cause me outer ear pain where my ear touched the interior part of the headphone. I have since switched my primary headphones to the Sennheiser PX100.
on May 7, 2007
I bought these headphones from best buy a while back and have used them on planes, in cars, at school ect...These have really great sound and i am extremely happy with them in that sense.

My problem with these is the comfort...I do not have a large head or large ears, however these hurt pretty bad after a little while of use because they put alot of pressure on your ears. Also, I wear glasses, so they push the bar that goes behind my ears which causes additional discomfort. These feel okay for about a half hour but after that, especially after a few plane rides or just a extended period of use, they just start to ache and make it more of a hassle to listen to music or watch a movie than a pleasure.

These headphones come with an extremely long cord as well, which may be good for some but is just a bit of a hassle for me. The cord wraps around this little dealy that can attach to your belt or other spots but i cant imagine why any normal consumer looking for budget headphones would want that long of a cord.

All in all, these are good for the price if you can handle some discomfort.
on November 4, 2005
after wearing them for a minute, your ears will get hot! It is true the band is too tight, causing discomfort. This is especially true since the pad rings are too small to go over the ears. They basically smooshes your ears down. Sonically, the tilt is towards bass. It is not the cleanest bass, and sounds rather boomy through my audiophile ears. But for $20, the negatives are to be expected, I guess.
on July 12, 2016
I have four different sets of cheap-ish (Sub-$30 on Amazon) over the ear cans. (Cans are headphones, BTW!) This review compares the Sennheiser HD 202 to the other three. I focus on things I can easily measure, but don't dwell much, if at all, on "quality of sound".

Spoiler alert: The the Sennheiser takes the bronze medal, and is the most expensive. Avoid it.

The contenders:
Monoprice Premium Headphones Hi-Fi Over the Ear (far right in picture)
Koss UR-20 (Middle right)
Sennheiser HD 202 (Far left in picture)
Audio-technica ATH-T22 (Middle left)

What they all have in common:
------------------------------------------------------------------
- 1/8" plugs (Some come with 1/4" adapters)
- Over the ear
- Adjustable

Pros and Cons of each:
--------------------------------------

==Monoprice==
PROS:
-- Strongest signal of the bunch.
-- Removable cord
-- Comes with two different cords
-- Has the longest cord of the four
-- Best isolation of the bunch
-- Top of head padding
CONS:
-- Crappy name: Monoprice Premium Headphones Hi-Fi Over the Ear Pro DJ Style With Gold-Plated Adaptor Plug
-- Ear-surrounding chamber could be a little bigger. These had the second-smallest internal/ear area of the bunch.

==Koss UR-20==
PROS:
-- Huge cans. Big enough for any ear. Biggest of the lot.Won't even touch your ears.
-- Good isolation. (2nd best)
CONS:
-- Shortest cord, by far.
-- No top of head padding. Just a cloth strip.
-- Heaviest, by far.

==Sennheiser HD 202==
PROS:
-- Second-longest cord
-- Decent top of head padding
-- Easily removable ear cups, if that's your thing.
-- Lightest headphones
CONS:
-- Poor isolation
-- Smallest ear chambers
-- Each can has its own wire lead
-- models HD202 and HD202 MK11 are the same headphones and only the packaging differs. Sketchy.

==Audio-technica ATH-T22==
PROS:
-- Decent sized ear chambers
-- Second lightest
CONS:
-- No top head padding.
-- The worst isolation
-- Each can has its own wire lead
review image