Published on April 1, 2009 by Charlie Brown

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Jack wire breaks all the time
Published on November 9, 2010 by Mindme

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Clear Sound Coming from These Guys, And they Don't hurt My Ears!, April 1, 2009
This review is from: Sennheiser HD218 Closed Back Headphone Optimized for iPod/iPhone/MP3/ and Music Players (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
After struggling for a while with the average quality of a few models of closed headphones and the piercing pain in my earlobes when using them for more than an hour, I believe I've found what I wanted: A good quality, good sound, reasonable priced earphones that won't hurt my humanity. But beware audiophiles: The sound coming from these guys even if rich and clear, with realistic deep bass and sharp high notes will never match those you can get from professional headphones, nor is their intention nor their price. These are nice mid-level workhorses that do their job pretty good, so keep your expectations on that level. If you want professional sound get ready to pay three or four times more. Just be realistic

After the "disclaimer" above, I bumped into these headphones while looking to replace a pair of Sony's, my third pair of closed headphones that not only sounded average but made me ended up with swollen, red earlobes after a little more than an hour of use. I tried everything, from forcing the top bridge to open and release the pressure to using the cup in different areas of my earlobes with no success. I even tried stuffing some cotton yarn on the cups and the only result was me looking ridiculous. Then I read a review on this pair from a reputable source attending the latest CES in Vegas and I gave them a try

They are good, really good. I use them mostly for PC gaming and the sound effects as well as the music and dialogue is very clear and deep. I also tried them a couple of times on my iPod listening to classical music and they behave decently, not as good as I wanted but at this price I doubt there are any headphones that can deliver classical music with the needed fidelity. They also provide good isolation from external noises with a thick layer of foam and synthetic fiber that to my surprise doesn't make you feel that you put your ears on the kitchen range. They do warm your ears a bit, but noting you can't stand or even notice after you get accustomed to them

But the best part for me is the fit. No pain, no discomfort whatsoever. The combination of a good layer of soft material with a multiple point adjusting cups provides a very close fit yet mimic the shape of your earlobes good enough to avoid the pain other earphones can get you. If you add I use them while wearing glasses, then the result is astounding: No pressure on your head from the glasses or any ache or soreness from the cups. Overall the best pair of closed headphones I owned in a while. Five stars considering they last for at least three years at my heavy use, but that's too early to tell

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little pair of headphones, July 19, 2010
It's kind of ironic that I got the request to review these headphones at this time. I was just showing them to my brother and exclaiming how much I liked them. We're both are ex-DJs and do sound production and voice work. Now, while I might not use these for editing or producing a piece; they are definitely adequate. Listening to and appreciating music on these phones is thoroughly enjoyable though. Nice DEEP end, staging, clarity, and presence. One thing I noted since getting these is how comfortable they are while wearing them. After awhile, you forget that your even wearing them. I'd recommend these in a heartbeat. Especially at the price I paid for them (I think it was $28 something). Only one small reservation in terms of durability and I think that question will be answered in time. I'm not hard on electronics equipment but some of the plastics seem a little questionable. That may be just me and again only time will tell. Get these for your MP3 player, computer, sound system, TV etc... they'll work very well with any of those. They deserve the 5 star rating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jack wire breaks all the time, November 9, 2010
Good sound, good price for a high end brand name. But that's where the accolades stop. For phones intended for portable use, the wire that runs into the jack breaks all the time. I luckily got an extended warranty on these and that means I just throw my broken pair on the counter and they give me a new pair. I'm on my 4th set of phones in less than a year. If you're a daily subway type commuter, these won't last more than 3 months tops before the wire snaps. Disturbing. You'd think a high end phones manufacturer could build a more robust cable connection.

An maybe it's the shape of my head, but these phones don't really sit very snuggly on your head. I find they slip off if you tilt your head down.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 11:23:26 AM PDT
Hello-

Thank you for your feedback. How are these being stored? If you wrap the cable at a sharp angle or too tight, it might cause premature wear and tear. We are happy to address any concerns or comments and do provide a global 2 year warranty when purchased from an authorized dealer. Our contact information is: +1 877 736 6434, info@sennheiserusa.com. We constantly review and refine manufacturing processes and are happy to address any questions.

2.0 out of 5 stars UGH-- Bass Worship Gone Bonkers, December 20, 2010
I'd always thought of Sennheiser as striving for honest, natural sound. These headphones are as far from that ideal as I've ever heard. They've taken the fad of over-stated bass and made a veritable caricature of it. Strange, as my Sennheiser PX200-II headphones are flat to a fault.
The design of the HD218 headphones is good, and they are comfortable. The cord being on only one side is great.
But the insanely pumped-up bass ruins them.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 11:27:28 AM PDT
Hello-

Thanks for your review. Indeed the HD 218i has a bass-enhanced signature to them-- we do continue to manufacture headphones with very neutral/natural sound DNA, and thus would recommend the PX 200-IIi that you in fact mentioned.

3.0 out of 5 stars The search continues..., November 14, 2011
I'm forever looking for the ultimate portable headphones to use with my iPhone and iPad. I have enough decent headphones at home, but they're too big to carry around all the time. Earbuds have awful, tinny sound quality. I can tolerate in-ear phones, but prefer not to wear them for longer than 30 minutes or so because they irritate my ear canals. I thought the HD218 might be the solution. I was wrong.

On the bright side, the HD218 is mostly comfortable. It doesn't clamp tightly to the ears and it's very light. There is a tiny bit of roughness if the mesh in the center of the cups contacts my ears. The construction seems like it might be on the light side, so it might not be very durable in the long run. I like the single-entry cord. But the positives end there. When I compare them with my favorite low-cost headphones, the Sennheiser HD 202, I find them wanting. The sound is barely above average. Certainly not the overwhelming bass that some reviews here claimed. The HD202 leaves these in the dust. That bass is so much richer, fatter, fuller, punchier and deeper. There's a reason so many reviewers on other sites summarize the 202 with one word, "FUN!" They're good-sounding phones that can handle everything from classical to disco. On the other hand, the 218 is a little too bright and shrill for my taste, even with bass boost on my equalizer. It's like the difference between Haagen Dazs and Good Humor. Sure, the creamsicle from the truck tastes fine on a hot day, but who wouldn't rather have the thick, luscious Haagen given a choice? The 202 ear cushions are slightly softer than the 218's and fit on my ears perfectly, giving much better sound isolation. The 202s are comfortable enough, in fact, that I got on a Greyhound bus, put them on, started my iPod and easily slept through the six-hour trip. The construction seems much more robust and likely to survive any accidental abuse. I think I'd be able to sit on the 202 and it would still be okay, something I wouldn't want to try with the 218 with all its various pivots and joints and thinner, more brittle-looking plastic. And all for less money than the 218. The one saving grace of the 218 is that it's compact, especially because of the rotating cups. So despite its inferior sound, it will have a place in my daily bag for now, until I can find something better.

If there's one thing I would plead and beg Sennheiser to do, it's to put compact L-shaped plugs on their portable-oriented phones. Straight plugs are good for studios and home stereos, but not for portable gear. I slightly bent the jack on my iPad when it fell a foot onto the floor and the long Sennheiser plug put too much force on it. Worse yet, the 218 plug is actually longer than the 202 plug! It's dumb to have a compact player like an iPhone then need more than two inches of additional clearance on the end because of the long plug. All of the other portable phones I've bought and sold over the years including Sony XB series, Koss The Plug, AKG K 518 and K 26 and MEElectronics M6 have had low-profile plugs. Sennheiser, for Pete's sake, change your small plugs to that form factor. And shorten the cord on the HD202 to a reasonable 1-meter length.

UPDATE 2012: I've found portable headphones that are better in every respect, the JBL Tempo High-Performance On-Ear Headphones. Those have much better sound and what feels like more robust construction. The HD218 have since been evicted from my everyday bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pair of Headphones, only a few minor disappointments, July 10, 2010
I got these headphones as a replacement for my PC headset. I used those headphones on everything: computer, Xbox, cell phone, Mp3 player. I decided I needed to upgrade to a better pair without spending too much. The HD218 is an EXCELLENT choice for that. I needed a good quality pair of headphones that I could take everywhere I go. That means no battery, box in middle of cord. They also had to be very comfortable too. THESE ARE VERY COMFORTABLE. I have been wearing them for about 2 hours straight with absolute comfort.

Physically, these headphones look great. They have a minimalist design; black with chrome finish. However, the cord is very thin. One of the thinnest I have used. This could be weak point for these otherwise fine pair of headphones. I will have to take extra care with cord. The build is strong; I needed a pair of headphones that I would not have worry about making sure they are safe all the time. They feel firm, but not indestructible.

The sound on these headphones good. The bass is not as good as I was expecting. On the front cover of the box, it advertises the great base the headphones. My PC headset had more bass than these. However, the sound quality of is excellent. I tried it on all my devices and not one ceased to disappoint me. However, the volume could be a little louder.

Overall, great pair of headphones considering the price. They are not a super pair of studio headphones that cost hundreds of dollars. But you should not expect that.

I would recommend these to everyone who is looking a quality pair of durable, stylish, yet great sounding headphones.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected, April 15, 2010
I should have shopped around more or at least researched these headphones first. From the picture they looked to be full size over-ear phones but they are very much not. I noticed that the better models are not much more costly but I was in a rush and bought these soon as I saw them; would have much rather spent more on a better set.

I'm not very fond of how thin the wire is or how short it is. The headphones are lightweight and seem fragile, which is something I do not like.

The sound quality is great but the bass is over-exaggerated to the point that I actually turn down the bass levels on whatever I use them with. If you're into that kind of thing then these are definably for you, though. The bass may be too loud but sound quality wise it is great; the bass levels do not distort or disrupt any of the other mid-range and tweeter level sounds when listening to music.

Overall color me unimpressed though, I can't rate it low because it isn't a bad product but it certainly isn't the greatest.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 11:31:16 AM PDT
Hi Robert-

Thanks for your review. We do also manufacture models with a more neutral sound signature and thus I would recommend PX 200-IIi.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love., November 9, 2011
I was about to plop down $300 for some Beats by Dr. Dre headphones, and the guy talked me into buying this pair instead. I am not a huge audio nerd, and I had never heard of Sennheiser, but I've had these headphones for almost a year now, and I can't imagine going to anything else!

First, the size is nice because they aren't huge and heavy. They are comfortable and fit great. For me, the audio quality is exactly what I need it to be. I also love that I am able to use them as a headset with my iPhone. It's awesome to be able to click so easily from music to the phone, especially when I am studying. The phone just interrupts your song to ring. When the conversation is over, it goes right back to the music.

I am hard on these headphones, I normally just toss them in my backpack, but they still look like they did the day I bought them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent all-around headphones, September 21, 2009
I've had a pair of HD-555's for my main stereo for awhile, so I didn't hesitate in picking up a pair of HD-218's from my local Apple store for my iPod. I bought them to replace a set of earbuds that sounded alright but were too flimsy and clogged too easily, and I haven't been disappointed at all. Yes, you CAN get earbuds on the cheap, but you get what you pay for in terms of durability and sound quality. The Sennheiser's are just the right size, have excellent bass response, and will last a long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars not bad..not great either, February 6, 2010
these are some pretty good headphones at this price point. i use them to listen to podcast and the like. i think i prefer around the ear headphones better. i don't like the way sit on my ears. they do have good sound quality and good bass. so if you like this style of headphone(on ear)then there pretty awesome.

Rate and Discover Movies