5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mic for any occasion
Published on May 6, 2006 by F. Battle

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading picture of the product. Microphone does NOT come with the stand as clearly pictured.
The Sennheiser MD 46 Microphone is great. Effective and clear, as described, but the picture clearly includes the table mic stand. This is pure desception by Amazon.
Published 15 months ago by Interested Investor

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mic for any occasion, May 6, 2006
F. Battle "video dude" (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser MD 46 cardioid interview microphone (Electronics)
I have used this mic for some time now in a wide variety of applications. I use it exclusively with my HD video camera. From field reporting to concerts and, because of it's design, it is able to extract background noise and clearly pick up voice from my subject. On multiple occasions I have interviewed subjects at a concert standing in front of a concert speaker and with music blairing in the background, this mic CLEARLY pics up my subject. An excellent investment, well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome mic, June 2, 2007
A. Mann "gadget maven" (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:51 Mins

One of the top podcasters, Grammar Girl, iTunes tipped me off that this the mic that she uses to make such clean audio. She uses this and an Alesis mixer right into a normal PC. It convinced me to purchase it. I did a few weeks ago, and just finished an audio podcast for my site-- and, not surprisingly, my sound is as clean and pristine as hers...

Highly, highly recommended if you're serious about clean, rich sound. Worth every dollar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heck of an interview mic, September 27, 2010
Brian A Peat (Westerville, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I have had one of these for many years. it's covered in scuff marks but works as well as the day it came out of the plastic case it shipped in. I can interview people in a crowded room and the audio is amazingly usable. I once used it for a Skype interview and the interviewer said it sounded like I was in his studio. I have no experience with the beyer-dynamic interview mics, but this thing rocks. The only issue might he how ridiculously long the hand is, but it's build for one of those TV station logos to fit around it and still give you room to hold it. You won't be disappointed with the MD46.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super mic for Electronic News Gathering, May 8, 2009
sweeperdave (Bay Area, California) - See all my reviews
This is the microphone that National Podcasting System ([...]) uses for outside ENG applications. It is a metal-cased, rugged dynamic mic with a cardiod pickup pattern. Because it's a dynamic mic, it doesn't require power as from internal batteries or phantom. Its built-in capability to reduce pop and wind noise works and, obviously, is beneficial. It is not sensitive to sloppy handling -- a good thing. Very appropriate for ENG is its ability to convey the human voice appropriately but also quick foley and other ambient sounds. The long handle is comfortable even when fitted with a logo flag. A good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars This microphone delivers..and so much more, December 30, 2012
I remember hearing all the hubub about this mike and I bought one to see what the big deal was. It's used by Podcaster, Mignon Fogarty, "Grammar Girl" on her audio podcasts and it delivers a really good full, solid sound. It's also used by TV reporters especially, I saw it in use back in the 2000 Winter Olympics.

I use it alongside my Heil PR for Podcasting as I shoot for the best vocal sound possible. Just like the Heil, I have two of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Microphone Ever!, March 4, 2012
I have had this microphone for a good 8 years now and I can't get better sound out of anything else. It's great for studio recording, PC recording, your little HD video camera recording, reporting, news reporting, interviews, just about anything.

Sure, it costs around $200-300 dollars, but it's worth it's weight in gold. Even microphones that cost upwards of $500 or 600 don't give you such clean, crisp sound. It's just an amazing capture.

Audio is what makes or breaks your video. When watching old VHS tapes or poor quality videos online, you don't care if the picture is bad. Humans tolerate bad video all the time. But what really bothers us is horrible sound. If the sound goes in and out, or squeals, or has a hum or whine, you will hear it and it will bother you. You will fixate on it.

This microphone is used by ESPN all the time and was the official microphone used by reporters at the Olympics back in the mid-2000s. I can't say enough about this microphone.

Just buy it and forget it. You can easily buy a XLR to 3.5mm jack cable and use it with your DSLR Canon or Nikon that record HD video now or your home HD video camera. It sounds amazing! You don't need all the fancy sound equipment or XLR converters. It doesn't need power.

I've used it for so many different applications. It does everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great microphone - misleading photo, June 20, 2011
This is a great microphone and I'm very happy with the purchase. Just be aware that it does not come with the desktop microphone stand shown in the picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch interview microphone, March 30, 2014
John P Reisman (Big Beaar Lake, CA United States) - See all my reviews
My first production with this mic was in Cologne, Germany. The mic is solid and clean. I think it even gave the interviewer greater confidence in what he was doing simply because it feels so solid. Sennheiser is a great company and I've been using their mics for over 30 years. The 421, 441, and shotguns. There are many great microphone companies out there providing the right tool for the right job. Sennheiser is definitely a top performer for audio professionals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mic for interviews in noisy environments, February 14, 2014
I've had this mic for a couple of years. It's very solidly built with no buttons or switches to malfunction--just plug your XLR connector into the one piece solid aluminum body and you're good to go!

A couple of notes: Firstly it's directional, making it a good a choice when you need to block out noise. On the other hand, this does make it more difficult to work than an omni-directional microphone. If your interviewer doesn't exercise good technique (wagging the mic back and forth between those talking) you'll notice significant volume changes. Consider an omni mic like the MD42 instead if you don't need the noise blocking. It'll be much more forgiving.

Secondly, the MD46 has a significant presence boost. This again is good for noisy environments, making spoken material cut through the noise, but it ends up sounding way too bright when noise isn't an issue (narration for example). You may find a more neutral microphone better suited to those cases.

Finally, the signal is fairly hot for a dynamic mic, a good thing if you're running the signal into mediocre equipment (the built-in mic port on a camera or a cheap sound card on a PC for example).

All in all an excellent mic, but somewhat specialized in its application.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, September 10, 2013
THOMAS (washington, DC, US) - See all my reviews
Great Mic, it's a little weak on my Tascam DR100 MKII, but still more than Ok for interviews. Good quality

Sennheiser MD 46 cardioid interview microphone