I've put these through the paces through 4 listening devices: 1) Focusrite Scarlett 18i6; 2)Creative X-fi USB; 3) Zoom H4n; and, 4) Smartphone.

I also have and compared to Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro ($229), Sony MDR7506 (~$100) Soundmagic E30 earbuds ($40) Beats earbuds ($90) and Sennheiser CX480 earbuds ($40) and AKG K44 headphones.

The Momentums...
Published 15 months ago by Chris Aanensen

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Small!!!
Published 21 months ago by Walsheyboy

4.0 out of 5 stars Tight, Precise, Great for mobile, comfortable, sound isolating., August 28, 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser MOMENTUM Around-the-Ear Headphone (Electronics)

The Momentums clearly sound way better than all of them. As other reviews say, they're sound is precise, accurate, tight, not airy like Sony's and Beyerdynamic. As other reviews pointed out, they don't have a ton of sub-bass. But it is there. When I adjust the lower bass frequency bands, it brings out the bass out and my whole head thumps nicely. In fact, these headphones are so flat, they respond beautifully to EQ on lesser powered devices, like MP3 players. They're my only headphones that sound better when using Creative's THX "surround sound" (set at 60%, it is sounds awesome). You will save about $100 not needing a headphone amp as these get really loud on smartphones and MP3 players. I can't even listen to my Beyerdynamics on them as there's not enough juice to make them loud enough for my tastes. And they don't distort at loud volumes. They beg to be played loud.

I didn't realize how mobile-friendly these were until I got them. They can be worn in public, on exercise machines, anywhere, and not look unwieldy. You will save another $100 not having to buy good earbuds anymore, coz the Momentums should be able to take their place in all situations. They are snug around the ears and provide more than adequate sound isolation. I also didn't expect to be able to mix my music for my You Tube videos with these, but they actually are perfect for that purpose, so there's another $100 bucks saved not needing a studio monitor pair of headphones like my AKG K44's, which I use only for mixing.

So there you go, these headphones just payed for themselves not needing earbuds, studio mixing headphones or a headphone amp. The only negative is that they do need a little EQ'ing to get the best out of them, and not every device has EQ capabilities, thus 4 stars, not 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very capable closed cans, December 18, 2012
This review is from: Sennheiser MOMENTUM Around-the-Ear Headphone (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"Senns," as they are called in the audiophile world, are major players in the headphone market, and I trust their quality. I have an open pair, the HD-598, which are my favorite. I also own the less pricey 239 model, which are also circumaural and open-backed. The vented (open) design allows air to escape and the sound to be more natural (not noise canceling), allowing more nuanced, ambient sound in without ever getting distortion.

I don't have the language of these technical experts that are reviewing the same headphones here, so consider my review as basic, from a lay person's viewpoint (but I am a lover of sound!). On the other hand, I am baffled that some reviewers are comparing these to the HD-598 cans. Open-back is a whole different experience, which allows outside sound to leak in. I prefer them when intensely listening to music--whether rock, jazz, or blues. These Momentums are also circumaural (covering the whole ear), but closed-back.

In my humble opinion, the Momentums should be compared--for purposes of reviewing--to others in its type. Now, I believe that open-backed are generally superior, as they are designed for subtlety and naturalness, but my review reflects my expectations of closed-back cans.

I consider my ears to be medium-sized for a woman, and these fit me perfectly. Even when I wear glasses, the fit is superb. Some of the reviewers complain that these are too small for their ears; in that case, I can understand the sound being inferior for them. If the Momentum fit is ON your ear (supra-aural), instead of the way they are intended (over the ear), then the design of the Momentums will not be as intended for your ears. I agree that these could have had a bigger circumference. Most men are not going to have small enough ears for these to fit circumaurally. They are definitely smaller around than my 598s. One thing I have learned by experience is that if the cans don't fit, the sound won't be "it."

I broke these in for 72 hours. I use these a lot for movies and for casually listening to music. The sound is warm rather than bright, but I get a lot of clarity when listening to dialogue. If I am in the mood for The Dark Side Of The Moon - Experience Version, or Emerson Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (DVD Audio), I will switch to my 598 open cans, definitely. However, the Momentums are perfectly capable, with strong and resonant treble, if I am in the mood for Steely Dan's Pretzel Logic, Billie Holiday Love Songs, Louis Armstrong's Definitive Collection or any of my classical music collections. These provide ample sound separation and rich texture. Movie sound is pretty nice and tight, too. I experienced no fatigue and am able to wear these for many hours.

As for construction, these are works of art. The ear pads are made from luxurious leather from British manufacturer Pittards and are a sensual delight on the sensitive ears. The mix with metal is a sexy combo. The sturdy hard shell brown case will protect the cans, and is handsome and lightweight to carry. I would probably not carry these around much, though, because I have smaller Senns that I can tote for my ipad/ipod. I will keep these for home. 4.5 stars rounded up.

"If music be the food of love, play on;
Give me excess of it..."--Duke Orsino, Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, 1602

"‎We all go Do, Re, Mi, but you've gotta find all the other notes yourself."
― Louis Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best headphones for this price (Don't buy Beats), March 29, 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser MOMENTUM Around-the-Ear Headphone (Electronics)
I spend lots of time researching headphones before deciding on these. A great place to get advice is head-fi.org and there are very knowledgeable people there. But I need a pair of closed back headphones that were comfortable for long periods of time while studying. I had the Phiaton MS-400 previously but my ears hit the grills of the headphones and hurt after a few hours. Before buying them I went to a Best Buy and tried them on. The padding is very thick which is very comfortable. The only issue is that the openings are small for people with larger ears. I would highly recommend trying these on before buying them. Also with the real leather used on the ear pads, they breath well and feel great!

The cable is also really nice and detachable. It comes with two cables. One straight and one with an apple remote. The one with the apple remote has a nice swivel connector that is great when your phone is in your pocket. And the case is great and will protect the headphones. The only thing is I wish the folded to a smaller size but that is fine that they do not.

Sound quality is amazing. The audio is warm and has just enough base. Unlike the Beats line the base is not overwhelming and drowns out the mid's. They sound very similar to the Phiaton MS-400.

Pros:
Sound Quality
Comfortable
Real Leather
Detachable cable
Stylish

Cons:
Case large
Not foldable
Ear cups smaller than others

P.S. The V-Moda M100 are very similar.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Small!!!, March 5, 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser MOMENTUM Around-the-Ear Headphone (Electronics)
I wish that I could sit the designer of these phones down and ask him why he/she had assumed that we all posses ears the size of Bilbo Baggins? The Momentums are...momentous, but time after time I have read the same criticism that these bad boys are just too small. This just in...they are!!! I went to the trouble of ordering mine from the company web-site. I'd tried them at a friend's house and they seemed great. Even after taking them out of the box when they arrived I thought, "These are the comfiest phones I've ever put on my head". Then after about an hour of wearing them I took them off to rub my poor suffering ears. They are ears are of a very average size by the way. The next day I felt like I'd been kicked on both sides of the head. I feel that this design is so flawed that it's almost worth a recall. Failing that, don't buy these great sounding head clamps and as for you Senheisser...just be better. Sorry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as a "portable" headphone for an iDevice, November 25, 2012
J. Kim (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser MOMENTUM Around-the-Ear Headphone (Electronics)
There are a few demerits to get out of the way up front: (1) the remote control cable works perfectly with iDevices (I'm using it on an iPhone 4S), but perhaps not so well with Andoid devices, so if that's why you are getting this headphone and it's not for an iDevice, look elsewhere; (2) the earpads are small, and are in between full-size and supra-aural, so they may not be that comfortable for you even though they pads themselves are extremely soft and comfortable (I find them great, including while wearing glasses); and (3) although marketed as "portable", they really aren't because the ear-cups don't fold, and that's huge. My Bose QC15s in their case seem to be half the size of the Momentum case. The Momentum seems too nice to just throw in a bag unprotected.

The sound quality of the Momentum has been lauded in numerous reviews, and perhaps they are better than the target competition (the so-called "luxury lifestyle" headphones like the P5/P3, Fidelio, Spirit 1, etc.), but to my ears they are not perfect. They tend towards warmth and bass response over detail and clarity. Many have described them as laid-back and easy-to-listen-to, and I would agree. To be clear, the sound quality is very good and within the ballpark of what you would expect for a $350 set of headphones (search for reviews on the web), but if you are expecting amazing detail/clarity (it's sufficient) with tight and controlled bass (it's a tad more/less focused than I want, but probably less than what a basshead wants), look elsewhere, but that's really the point:

I really enjoy these headphones because they are a great combination of convenience (easily driven by most portable devices, and the remote is quite handy even if you con't use them for phone calls), comfort (I find them light and extremely comfortable), quality (they do seem very well built), and sound. Nice design helps. The sound is not perfect, but it has a fullness and warmth that make them very easy to listen to, and very enjoyable at lower volumes (where the sound remains full). Yes, you could get a full-size set of headphones and either a portable headphone amp or a desk-top set-up, and while that might beat the sound of these (at least they should), you lose the convenience. Similarly, there are other portable headphones that have different sound signatures, but I haven't found one yet that has the comfort and convenience of the Momentum. It's just a very easy headphone to live with, even if one wishes, from time to time, that it had been tuned a bit differently by Sennheiser.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent headphones that don't fit my ears, November 25, 2012
This review is from: Sennheiser MOMENTUM Around-the-Ear Headphone (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Sennheiser Momentum Headphones are marketed as circumaural or over-ear headphones but the inside dimensions of the ear pads are 1 1/4" x 1 3/4" and my ears are 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" so they simply don't fit well. It's difficult to ignore: I can tuck my ears inside but there simply isn't enough room and they are constantly pressed and rubbed from every direction. I can't tolerate it despite the soft glove leather. They are more comfortable worn on-ear but still not acceptable for more than thirty minutes or so. Either way, they do a good job of sound isolation because of the conforming foam surround.

Other than the too-small ear pads, the design is well-thought-out and very functional, with frank expression of the different elements of brushed-steel structure, black wiring, and brown cups and padding which have a few degrees of swivel in two axes and easy friction positioning. The execution and craftsmanship are excellent. Included are two thin, no-tangle soft-touch plastic cables, one with in-line controls for Apple devices, the other without. There is also a generously-sized molded zippered storage case with a compartment for the spare cable.

Well, how do they sound? For listening, they are very good indeed. The sound is slightly weighted to bass at the expense of treble but without noticeable distortion or other faults that would cause this to be a real problem. For headphones intended for use with portable devices, many would even consider this weighting to be appropriate. The soundstage is also good though not overly generous in width and slightly compressed to the front. They sound good with opera, baroque music on period instruments, Philip Glass, Aretha, and even live rock `n' roll such as Ike & Tina Turner. My perception of the weighting and soundstage may be influenced by the poor fit on my ears because when I gently press the ear cups in and forward, the sound shifts in both location and range and becomes richer and even more detailed.

Although fit is very individual, the small size of the ear pads is not subjective at all and in the end, if headphones are not comfortable, they aren't enjoyable no matter how good the sonics are, and that is disappointing. Perhaps Sennheiser could produce some larger ear pads as an aftermarket accessory so more people could appreciate these Momentum headphones with comfort and they would definitely round up to 5 stars rather than 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Momentums are momentus, November 6, 2012
Mark D (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser MOMENTUM Around-the-Ear Headphone (Electronics)
I recently sold my Sennheiser HD 600's to put toward purchasing these- the moment I saw them I fell in love with their styling. I'm now listening to these as I type this and all I can say is *wow*. The Momentums are smaller than then appear in photos, they are something of a cross between a portable headphone and a studio headphone. The leather ear muffs are very soft, I have listened for hours without fatigue. Two cables are included, one normal and one capable of controlling the iphone/ipad. You'd look stylish with these on anywhere you go.

The sound is distinctly Sennheiser, as clear as my old 600's but with better bass response due to their closed design. I'm in love with the sound. From rock to classical to even some electronica, all wonderfully projected.

5.0 out of 5 stars In Love with these headphones, January 18, 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser MOMENTUM Around-the-Ear Headphone (Electronics)
Update: I noticed there is a little bit of differing opinions about certain sound aspects of the headphones. One thing I should point out is that these headphones are designed to be Circumaural (Around the Ear) headphones. If you try wearing them ON your ear... the sound will be quite a bit different. Bass Response is quite a bit reduced.. due the broken seal (you may even get bass crackle) and the highs won't sound quite as good... simply because you'll be putting extra distance between your ear and the driver.

This can definitely be a problem... since the earcups themselves are pretty small. So if your ears are larger than average... it could definitely be a major problem.... but just get them and give them a try. IF they don't fit you... Amazon has a great return policy.

That being said... I still love these headphones after having owned them for a couple weeks... and IMO.. the best sounding portable headphone I've listened to.

Original Review Below:

First I have to make a disclaimer and say I've only owned these for a couple hours now.
But I've been obsessively trying to find a perfect pair of general-use headphones for the past month now... buying this and that...

Just to run down the list... Logitech UE 6000, Bose QC15, Monster Turbine Pro Copper, The Astro A40 Headset, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80.... Those are all the headphones I've bought and returned in just the past couple weeks... on top of just sitting in stores for hours trying to audition every headphone they had on the rack with the music from my phone.
After all that... I finally found the perfect headphones for me. These are them. If I only own 1 pair ever... these are them.

I don't know how Sennheiser did it... but what these are... are basically a small, light-weight, efficient version of the HD 650s. That is the best way I have to describe them. They are just soo unbelievably smooth sounding... so much detail without any of the spikes from other headphones. This means you can really crank the volume, hearing every detail with a great deal of intimacy without having to be worried about any kind of harsh high-end noise coming out of left-field... or over-bloated bass over-powering everything else... killing those details. And they are SO efficient... it's awesome... I plug them into my PS Vita and they STILL sound great... you just don't get that with most pairs of high-end headphones without some kind of amp.

And when I plug them into my iPod 5.5 gen in combination with the e11 Fiio Amp attached the the iPod via Line-Out.... then these things REALLY, REALLY do shine. As well as they do when attached to my PC with it's Asus Essence STX sound card.

The build quality is also incredibly rugged... simple... yet REALLY tough and lightweight. They come with a case... but i have no worries just throwing them in my bag naked... (I will update this review later if I have problems with that.... but they really DO feel super solidly built).

Okay.. so I have to talk about negatives...
All the possible negatives.

-Like every headphone.... the sound signature may not be for everyone. I definitely would not describe them as forward and lively... but rather very laid-back.. but incredibly smooth with a lot of mid-bass through mid-range detail, that is just not present in most headphones... and probably not present in ANY other closed back headphone.... Maybe the $1000 Denons... but I've never tried those... and goodluck driving those without an amp. Out of all the headphones I tried recently... the Monster Turbine Coppers were also very nice.... but totally different... those had very nice, strong bass extension... and still maintained a good neutral sound... despite that... But relative to the Momentums... they lack the detail these have. I might still go back out and pick up a pair of the Turbine Pro Coppers again.. just to have as a backup and the isolation of an IEM.

That's pretty much it... I can't think of any other negatives. Oh wait.. While these are comfortable to my ears... they are not as comfortable as the QC15s. The QC 15s are the most comfortable headphones I've EVER worn.

I will update this review as needed... but those are my thoughts on these headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding, extremely light and comfortable around the ear headphones., July 18, 2013
a (MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser MOMENTUM Around-the-Ear Headphone (Electronics)
Sennheiser never dissapoints. This is my second pair of Sennheisers (first being the HD280).

These are not audiophile quality, but rather they are meant for portable music players, as per their own description. That being said, they still sound fabulous. Very true sounding. Not colored. Precise. They compete against V Moda and other similarly priced headphones and having owned the V Moda, I can assure you that these sound much better in most cases. True bass response...for a headphone, not fake, overly emphasized "bass" like the V Modas. Very true sounding. Not colored. Precise.

They are extremely light and cover the entire ear to help block out ambient noise (passively).

You cant go wrong with these. They will last a decade or more as my last Sennheiser headphones did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile elite!, April 15, 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser MOMENTUM Around-the-Ear Headphone (Electronics)
Momentum basically address everything I expect!!!

I made comparison among Bose qc15, Beats studio, momentum.

1)display
everyone has their own taste. I personally like wearing Studio at GYM, momentum and Bose qc15 at other places.They are somehow low key. I think Momentum black looks better than Bose Qc 15

2)Durable
Bose wins. Bose, yeah! Quality is great. Momentum is also good but momentum has two lines exposed outside handband adjustment parts. Beats studio is like 80% plastic. One thing you need to know momentum replacement I-device cable is over 120 bucks.

3)Comfort&Portable
Bose qc15 feels great but the noise canceling might cause some pressure for some people. Momentum has premium materials but the ear cup is somehow small. I feel it feels like half overear design. Beats studio is really comfortable. The cushion and earcup make it so comfortable to wear. As for durability, Studio put its into the first place. Momentum has huge case. Bose QC15 is flat but cannot be fold. Studio case is relative small and fold.

4)Noise Cancellation and sound leakage.
Bose QC15 blows others away. Momentum is great. It blocks a lot of noise. Beats studio noise cancellation works a little. With respect to sound leakage, Momentum is the best. It is sealed headphone. Bose QC 15 goes to second place. Beats studio just play music for everybody!!!

6)Sound quality
Momentum is much better than the other two. The sound is crisp, clear, and strong. It has the best sound quality in this three.The feeling of the momentum is accurate! Nothing is overpower just perfect! It has more bass than QC15. The highs and mids is better than beats studio. It pretty balance headphone and performs great in a variety of songs.

Sennheiser MOMENTUM Around-the-Ear Headphone