4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not without Drawbacks
Published 7 months ago by Tim Shelfer

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Sound - Bad Controls
Published on November 15, 2012 by Kyle Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not without Drawbacks, May 14, 2014
This review is from: Sennheiser OMX 181 Ergonomic In-Ear Stereo Headphone with Flexible Ear Hooks (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
If there's one thing I've learned about earphones, it's that no one model does it all. Besides all-purpose (wearing around the house or in the yard) usage, I have three special uses for headphones -- running, bicycling, and motorcycling. I bought the Sennheisers in the hope that they would serve all three purposes well. And for the price, it was worth the gamble. Well, two out of three ain't bad.

Some general observations about the Senns - They're plenty loud compared to most headphones I've tried. They have a nice, wide frequency response with solid bass and sparkly trebles. And despite what some reviewers think, I find them pretty comfortable - more on that later. Now, as to my specific uses:

JOGGING - Above all, jogging headphones have to stay in place. Second, they have to be impervious to sweat. The Sennheisers work well in those respects. After some initial adjusting of the earpieces, I was able to get a tight fit, and one that lasts for 45 minutes of pavement-pounding and head-bobbing. And for the duration of a run, the Senns stay in place and sound great, with no plugging up from sweat. I give them 5 stars for jogging.

BICYCLING - Bicycling needs are similar to jogging needs, with one extra requirement: they have to offer enough blockage to prevent wind from whistling between my ears and the phones. These fulfill that requirement quite nicely. Again, I give them 5 stars in this department.

MOTORCYCLING - We're moving into a different world here. For MC riding, headphones have to be loud - really loud. They have to have lots of bass to compensate for the frequency loss resulting from all that wind finding its way through my helmet. They have to be designed such that it is possible to pull a helmet over my head, while keeping the phones in place during that act. I find earbuds totally impossible in this respect; some sort of ear-hanger phones are required. So far, so good - the Senns do well for all of these requirements. Additionally, they remained quite comfortable over a four-hour ride - no small feat, considering that the headphones are being literally squeezed into my ears by my Shoei helmet.

Here's where things unravel a bit. In order to push my MP3 player loud and bassy enough for 70-mph highway riding, I play my Sony player through a Fiio E6 EQ/amplifier. I was surprised, and disappointed, to find that that the Senns distorted and barked rather badly unless I backed the bass way down. Switching back to my venerable Sony AS20J earphones, I got the usual clear and distortion-free sound under the same conditions. So for motorcycling, I can only give the Sennheisers about 2.5 stars. My Sonys will remain my riding headset of choice.

Overall, I think they are very good headphones, especially given this low, low price. However, I believe these are an older model - the newer Senns that replace these run about $50. Not such a bargain.

SO, OVERALL CONCLUSION - Great for jogging, great for bicycling, great for general purpose usage. Not so great for motorcycling.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Sound - Bad Controls, November 15, 2012
Kyle Martin (San Antonio, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
The look good, they sound good, and the feel good, but the volume control is a large chunky analog wheel in the middle of the headphone line. If you want ear buds with hooks so they'll stay on better, this tumor midway down the cord doesn't help. YOU CAN NOT PAUSE RESUME OR ADJUST THE VOLUME DIGITALLY WITH THESE HEADPHONES. If they say its iPhone compatible, that's only the headphone component.

2.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable, February 17, 2011
D. (Woodbridge, VA) - See all my reviews
I really wanted to enjoy these headphones, but they were very uncomfortable. They don't contour to the shape of your inner ear, and end up in some odd position. The actual parts that wrap around your ear may have been ok, but its hard to tell when you can't fit the actual ear pieces in.

Because I was never able to actually sit these in properly, the sound I heard was mediocre.

The ONLY plus to these headphones is the wiring. I'm not sure what kind of material they used on the cable but its durable and doesn't tangle much. I wish all headphones used this material.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, February 7, 2013
SOLEDAD "SOL" (Las vegas,NV USA) - See all my reviews
they have served my purpose i was just looking for some headphones that i could use at night when i am in bed cuz i like to listen to audiobooks and sometimes i do fall asleep, these are comfortable and don't fall out of my ears like the regular earbuds

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a fit for my ears, August 31, 2011
This fit and stay which is so important when active. I love these and love the hook over the ear for hands free listening. I use with an assisted personal hearing device and its great so far.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, April 15, 2014
Sound quality is great. Volume control became dysfunctional from sweat in a month. I would suggest sealing the volume control with super glue straight out of a box to anyone who wants to use these during workouts. That control is pointless, only worked for a week.

Today the cable broke and one ear is inaudible. Only few months of use. I've had headphones from another manufacturer that lasted five years before I lost them.

Too bad Shenneiser can't scout a good cable for their otherwise decent product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound and durable, May 9, 2013
A lot of good features that are hard to find in one package come together in these headphones: reasonably good sound, in-line volume control, over-the-ear-hook ear buds for exercising, and a durable cord (as well as a slide that prevents tangling)

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable cord, January 10, 2013
Kathy (NY, NY United States) - See all my reviews
What I love about these headphones the most is that the cord is so durable. I've had mine for nearly two years and there's no damage whatsoever to the cord like my previous Sennheisers have taken.

6/6/14 - Still no damage. :D

1.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to wear, December 28, 2012
S. Kahn "programmer" (Overland Park, KS USA) - See all my reviews
These are supposed to be for women. Some sort of giant-eared women, perhaps? If I hook the earclips around my ears, the earbud is NOWHERE near my ear at all. If I try to fit the earbud to my ear, the hook is nowhere near my ear. Furthermore, even with no ear sleeves attached, and no foam cover, I cannot get these earbuds to fit into/onto my ears. So I have no way to judge the quality of them or their sound; they are completely unusable for me. I'm just glad I got them for $15.99, because I'll be giving them to someone else.

4.0 out of 5 stars The great but not perfect, September 30, 2012
I like that they're not ear buds but they actually rest outside your ear. The problem with that though is they do a bit to good of a job and makes you wonder why they bothered to add the clips. Another thing with those clips is that you either have to open them to make them so wide that they don't even touch your ear, or fiddle with them to fit your ears perfectly or you will find that unless you do either they will begin to hurt your ears after a while of continues use. So the last thing is the chord and my oh my is it a amazing chord the tangle free thing is no joke. Why every pair of headphones isn't made with these I don't know, but chord is ruined but a abnormally large volume rocker that for its size doesn't include a microphone. All that said I would mostly like replace these with a same pair if it came down to it. Oh and the sound quality is great I have no complaints about that.