4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for use while working out
These headphones are great for exercising. They stay in place and sound great. The cord length is perfect for me. Build quality seems excellent, especially where the cord attaches to the phones. This is important for frequent, rough handling. These phones are not bad looking, either.

A few people complain that the mic doesn't work with their Blackberry,...
Published on March 14, 2011 by Ron Cronovich

3.0 out of 5 stars Some hits, some misses
Published on March 29, 2011 by C. Jewell

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for use while working out, March 14, 2011
This review is from: Sennheiser Adidas PMX 680i Sports Headset (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

A few people complain that the mic doesn't work with their Blackberry, Macbook, Droid, or non-iOS device. The product description clearly states that the mic is designed mainly for iPhones, recent models of iPod touch, and iPads, but will also work with 2009 and later Macbooks/Macbook Pros. If you are buying this for the mic to use with your non-iOS device, check Sennheiser's website to see whether it'll work with your device.

Sennheiser's 680 line includes several different models that have the same sound quality and speaker components, but different ways of making them sit on your ears. This model, the PMX, is one piece that wraps around the back of the head. Other models in this line are called CX, OMX, and MX. They attach to your ears with clips or "ear fins", depending on the model. Also, some models have noise isolation (for when you don't want to hear the annoying music playing over the gym's loudspeakers) while other models in this series are more open (so you can hear honking cars while you're jogging on the side of the street). The PMX is one of the more open ones, but when I'm using them at the gym, the outside noise doesn't bleed in too much.

Also, note that some models have the number "680i" while others are just "680". The difference is whether it has a microphone. "680" (with no "i") means no mic, but there is an in-line volume control. "680i" has the in-line volume control and the built-in mic.

Unfortunately, most of us cannot try these on before purchasing to determine which format is most comfortable. So if you're thinking of buying these, purchase from a reputable vendor that stands by their return policy.

Lastly, I'd suggest comparing the prices of various sellers. I bought mine from OnSale, an Amazon third-party vendor, and paid a lot less than Amazon is currently charging. I've bought several things from OnSale through Amazon's website, and their service has always been excellent.

In sum, the Sennheiser 680 line offers very good sound quality for the money, good build quality, and different models with different options regarding fit, noise isolation, and mic. One of the models in this line is likely to be a great match for your needs. For me, it's this one, the PMX 680i.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some hits, some misses, March 29, 2011
C. Jewell (Arlington, VA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this Sennheiser headset shortly after my company set me up with an iPhone 4. Previously I was using older model, bright green Sennheiser headphones (same behind the neck style) with a fourth generation iPod. I listen to podcasts while commuting to work by bicycle, and I've found this form factor works best for me; the stock ear buds never stay in my ears, and I don't want the sound isolation of in-ear models. Because I upgraded from another Sennheiser product, it's easy for me to identify where they improved things and where they fell short:

PROS:
1. This is obvious, but I have to express my appreciation for the mic and play controls. When you have podcasts of varying volume levels, easy access to volume buttons is so convenient.
2. Straight cord -- the previous model was designed with a coil in the cord. Terrible design decision! I was constantly untangling the cord.
3. Straight connector -- the old one was L-shaped and covered by a rubbery sleeve that was starting to slide up. This one is hard plastic and seems sturdier.
4. Lighter than older model.
5. Same good sound.

CONS:
1. My biggest complaint is with the redesign of the plastic that goes over and behind your ears. It used to be solid and thinner. Now it's two pieces -- a hard plastic top "rail" and a softer plastic along the bottom. I can understand why they did this -- the flexible part rests on your ear and should make it more comfortable. However, I didn't find the older model uncomfortable, and the new design is much thicker. Before it was never a problem to wear my headphones and sunglasses under my helmet. The stems of the sunglasses would fit against my head and above the headphones. With the headset's new design, there's no room for the stems, so I have to wear them over the headset which squeezes them against my head. My commute is only 30 minutes, but I imagine if it were longer, the pressure would start to get uncomfortable.
2. My old headphones came with rubber covers for the speakers. When they got dirty, you could pop them off and wash them in water. This headset comes with those standard foam covers that are so difficult to put on and have to be thrown out and replaced every so often. I prefer the greener alternative of reusable rubber covers.

Sennheiser claims this headset is water resistant. That's hard to believe with the exposed mic and controls. I rode through some torrential downpours with the headphones, and they're still going strong. I'll be sure to update this review if the headset dies after its first ride through the rain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent workout headphones, December 31, 2010
I hate headphone that sit in the ear canal, this one doesn't do that, they sit a little further in and forward, the sound is AMAZING and so far they have been very good to me. I usually short out headphones at the gym from the amount of sweat I produce. These guys have resisted the copious amounts of liquid that eventually works it's way down into my ears. I've shorted out every apple headphone set I ever had.

1.0 out of 5 stars Liked them, until they shorted out on me after 2 months!, April 30, 2011
Jay Douglas (New york, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I wrote a previous review about these, but had to come back and rewrite it. I had given them 5 stars, but then they shorted out after just over 2 months of use!!! They fit comfortably, sound is good, but I can not recommend these. The problem started to happen at the connection where the headphones connect into the iPhone. If you twist or wiggle them the left earphone would come in and out. When you're running, you get a lot of that kind of motion, so these are worthless now. AND, I can't send them back to Amazon because the window of return has expired. I am very disappointed, and am now looking for a new pair of dependable water-resistant headphones.

1.0 out of 5 stars lasted 6 months, November 7, 2011
After six months of use there is no longer any audio to the right earbud. Much too late to return to amazon, and Sennheiser's website is not very helpful on how to take advantage of the 2 year warranty. As far as I can tell you have to pay to ship their faulty product back to them to fix it, and just hope that they don't decide that it wasn't their fault the thing stopped working.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but for iPhone (Apple Only, Not so good on Galaxy S3), August 8, 2012
I bought this product when I owned an iPhone and it was quite amazing. I give it 4 stars because it is as advertised. Great quality sounds for Apple products (worked awesome with my iPod nano and iPhone). The only issue I've had is the headphone cover, the black little foam pieces, wouldn't stay on the set and I ended up having to remove them. Wished the foam would stay because when working out, it'd help a bunch when it comes to soaking up sweat dripping in the ear.

BTW, I just recently switched over to the new Samsung Galaxy S3 and with some apps, and the functionality is quite limited. One cannot use the volume up and down buttons on the headset. The middle button can be configured using particular apps to control the volume (see JAYS Headset Controller). However, I have been unable to get the mic to work on the headset, making it just an expensive set of headphones. I still use them, but wish they were fully supported for Android and Apple. If I find a solution I'll update my description.

UPDATE: tested the headset on another S3, same result. However, tested on HTC One X and mic works fine. So, kind of hit or miss on newer Droids

1.0 out of 5 stars Tired of Sennheiser headphones, June 23, 2013
This is my third pair of headphones from Sennheiser. Maybe I am an idiot for buying them ta third time after experiencing the same problem with the first two. But I was willing to give them another try as I liked the way they fit. And I kept buying slightly more expensive ones each time thinking it was the level of product I bought. There will NOT be a fourth purchase. EVERY pair, within a year, has had the one side headphone stop working. If i hold the cord just right they will work for a while longer. But eventually the one side stops all together. Three pairs, all with the same issue. it's no longer a coincidence. I take good care of them and use them only for running. I am not a marathoner by any stretch and run only when its really nice outside and dry. So these do not get more than 50 hours of use a year.

For this last pair, the button that temporarily stops the music never worked from day one. I didn't really ever have a need for it and it was not a feature i really cared about which is why I never returned them. But I should have realized the problems with the overall product quality from sSennhaiser at that point, returned them and moved to a different manufacturer

5.0 out of 5 stars simply the best headphones for your iphone, December 22, 2010
if you're like me and run with your iPhone, then these are a must have. they are the only fully integrated/functional running headphones made for your iPhone in the market. sound great, comfortable and fully evolved to the top of its food chain. only downfall is the color options...

1.0 out of 5 stars Stops working when you sweat, November 28, 2012
Even though they are quite a bit more expensive than my usual headphone purchases, I purchased these headphones at the recommendation of the Wirecutter.com, which suggested that they were the best available headphones for running,. Unfortunately, the headset cannot handle the moisture created by exercising -- which is one of the most important requirements for any "sports headset." Beginning almost immediately after I started using the headset, the right earbud would stop working 30 minutes or so into the run. A few weeks later, the problem switched over, so that the left earbud would give out 30 minutes into the run. From what I can tell, the humidity created as I exercised builds up and causes the headset to stop functioning correctly, because both earbuds would work after the headset had 24 hours to dry.

Until this morning, that is. Now, they appear to have stopped functioning almost entirely, although I can get momentary bits of sound out of them by moving the jack around in the headphone slot on my computer or phone.

I spent the additional money on this headset to avoid these kinds of problems, which I have experienced (albeit only after a great deal more time and use) on cheaper headsets, but this headset performed even worse than my usual purchases. If you are serious about using your headset during exercise, avoid this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars ISO heavy duty workout headset? This is it, January 22, 2011
Don't write many reviews but felt compelled on the Sennheiser 680i. Color is not my favorite but sound is great, "earbuds" don't fall because they sit just right and the volume control mid-cord is perfect.

Rate and Discover Movies