4.0 out of 5 stars Look great, sound not great
I wanted to try these headphones because they look great and I thought they would sound at least okay. Regrettably, to me the sound is distinctly inferior to the older PX100 headphones. I am not keeping these headphones.

Published on April 23, 2010 by Chris Schmidt

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than PX 200 I, Still Needs Work
The earlier Sennheiser PX200 I series headphones were notorious dogs, featuring a recessed murky sound, rolled off mids and trebles, minimal bass, and a relatively high price. This new version of those headphones addresses most of the problems with the Mark I model, although they are not perfect, and the price has gotten higher.

The main challenge Senn faces...
Published on February 8, 2011 by Severian

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Look great, sound not great, April 23, 2010
Chris Schmidt (Scottsdale, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser PX 200 II W Closed Mini Headphones with Integrated Vol Control (White) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

The sound improved when I pushed the cans against my head. Normally the thick cushions on these headphones keep the speakers further from the head than on the PX100 for instance.

Imagine using your favorite headphones, and drawing the cans slightly out from your head, and noticing how the sound gets thinner. That's my experience with these headphones.

Maybe these headphones will fit better for people whose heads are smaller or shaped differently, and for them they'll sound good.

I'm rating them a full four stars out of five, because I don't want to contaminate the average with my individual experience, for which a lower rating would apply. This is one of those times when I would like to share my experience without giving the product any rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice pair of headphones!, July 10, 2010
I've only had these for a couple weeks, but they thus far have fulfilled almost every one of my needs. They sound spectacular (note: I am not a audiophile per se, so I can't speak to how one would find them) to my ears, a significant improvement over my earbuds for listening to music and podcasts on my iPod. In particular, I find that podcasts sound excellent, though in a crowded bus the deep voices are a little hard to hear. I don't think this is the headphones fault, merely that if your commute has the ability to be quite loud (and you do not want to turn the volume up substantially) that these might not be for you. For drowning out background noise they do an excellent job for their size and are quite comfortable for listening sessions of 1-2 hours. They do not seem to get too warm on my head, are very comfortable without any stretching (in addition to fitting well enough to not feel like they will fall off no matter what I do). I particularly appreciate the single connection to the cans (rather than one cord for each can).

My one complaint is that the volume switch is in a really annoying place. It is a couple feet from the cans themselves, but that is in such a place as to not allow me to clip to a pocket and have a full range of head motion. I also wish that (at least for how I would wear the clip) that the clip itself was pointed in the other direction. The clip opening is pointed away from the headphones, which makes sense in the abstract, but clipping to anything but a pocket if that doesn't work for you (like the bottom of a shirt, holes between buttons on a button down shirt, etc.) leaves one with cords flying in all directions. I highly doubt that everyone will find this annoying, but I can't help but mention it.

Bottom line, they sound great, are comfortable to wear, and fulfill all my needs as a portable headphone for use with an iPod.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great step up from your standard Apple earbuds, May 7, 2010
I attribute my satisfaction with these headphones to my expectations for them when I initially decided to make the purchase. I got the PX200 as a replacement for my ipod's earbuds, and I can say with certainty that these headphones provide better sound quality, bass, isolation, and prevent sound leakage more effectively than the apple earbuds do. They are also very attractive and light, and that in combination with the folding capability makes them very easily portable. The cushioning is comfortable for longer periods of use, however, I have a relatively small head, so those of you with larger heads may begin to notice that these headphones put a bit of pressure on. Lastly, the one thing that annoyed me the most with the regular earbuds was that they'd constantly loosen from your ears and fall out. The PX200 completely solved this problem for me. They remain over your ears and are light enough so that even if you leaned forward or back, they would not slide off.
I am not an audiophile and have not had extensive experience with audio equipment, but for the casual listener, the PX200 serves its purpose well and would be a good upgrade from the standard set of earbuds.

5.0 out of 5 stars lightweight, good fit, good sound, August 24, 2010
Bruce McL (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
I have been using these headphones for a month or two now. I use them with an iMac and an iPad. They are replacing a very old pair of Sony MDR-40 headphones that came with a cassette recorder(!). I also own and use Sony MDR-EX71 in ear headphones.

The sound seems detailed and balanced to me.
These headphones have a surprising amount of isolation - they cut out noise from outside a lot.
The fit is very good for me. I have a big head, hat size 7 7/8.
I didn't buy them for their portability but I do like the light weight. I can wear them comfortably for a long time.

I notice that they take a while to get snug on my ears. i put them on and there is some outside noise and the bass is subdued. After a minute or so the ear pads compress and get a tight fit which cuts down the noise and helps the bass.

The tight (but not uncomfortable) fit also makes the inside of my ears sweat a bit or produce more wax or whatever. It's similar to what happens with a pair of in-ear headphones.

All in all I am very happy with these headphones.

Update - It's been six months now, and I'm still very happy with these headphones. Comfort and noise isolation are better. I use them with my iPad quite a bit, and that works well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones - perfect for my needs, May 17, 2010
Ruth (Yonkers, NY) - See all my reviews
I ordered these headphones after trying 2 different pairs of the ear bud variety of headphones. The last was a pair that offered differentially sized pads. It didn't help. Either pair kept falling out of my ears and while walking on city streets or even working in my garden, ambient noise prevented me from hearing the pod casts and audible books for which I typically use my headphones. These closed on ear headphones do a great job keeping out ambient noise. I can still hear sounds of activity around me; but it doesn't drown out what I'm listening to the way the ear bud styles did. I'm convinced I have odd-shaped inner ears! But these headphones solve my problem. I'm thrilled with them. I'm walking the mile from Grand Central to my office now because I can listen to my pod casts.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than PX 200 I, Still Needs Work, February 8, 2011

The main challenge Senn faces here is to wring decent sound out a wee tiny roughly 30mm driver. Most other headphones these days, at least those beyond entry level pricing, offer drivers at least 10mm larger, so the PX200 has to do more with less. For the most part, this iteration of the design succeeds: the sound is extremely clear and detailed. Mids and trebles are perfectly balanced and very audible and distinct. Even more impressively, treble is not at all bright and these tiny phones manage to project an impressively large sound stage, especially for a small portable headphone. Presentation of audio is very forward, nothing recessed. The old PX200 in comparison sounded like it was music heard from the bottom of a barrel with a wooden lid on it!

As you may guess by now, the one problem with the new PX200s is the bass. It is very hard to get much bass out of a smallish driver. The 200-II tries hard, and under optimal conditions, in a quiet room, with a good quality source, the 200 has decent punchy bass. On a noisy subway or bus, the bass goes away very quickly and your music is stripped of much of its low frequency detail. An album like Massive Attack's "Mezzanine" becomes a sort of pointless experience, as whole sections of the sonic texture are absent.

On the bright side, if you are listening on mass transit, the 200 isolates your music from those around you, so you don't need to worry about disturbing others. Also a bright spot, the single cord design avoids tangles and the inline volume control is moderately useful as it can tune the music all the way down unlike some lamer variants where lowest inline setting is still pretty loud. Most users would probably prefer not to have the inline control (as it is another electrical component that can short) and it does make the cord dangle a bit awkwardly, but some may appreciate this element.

The build construction of the PX 200-IIs is superb. The phones, though small, feel very solid and well made and they fold up very precisely into a compact bundle. The phones are covered by an excellent 2 year warranty, but sadly the hard plastic case that Senn gave you for the first series is now absent, and you now get a generic nylon drawstring bag instead. This parsimony is not appreciated, especially at this new higher price point for the PX 200 series. Comfort is quite good; the phones do not clamp too hard and are surprisingly light.

How do these compare to other portables? My old favorite small portable headphone, the AKG K26, is no longer sold, and has been replaced with much pricier allegedly "premium" small models and the considerably larger K18DJ series which is not only bulkier to carry, but also badly made and literally incapable of comfortably fitting on even slightly above average heads. AKG sadly seems to be sadly deficient in the midpriced good quality ultra-portable headphone field.

The other small portables I like in this price range are the Ultrasone Zinos (which have an odd sort of sound not really good for all genres of music) and the excellent Jays V-Jays. The V-Jays demolish the PX200s in all ways, having significant yet precise bass, and the same level of detail and clarity. The problem with the V-Jays is that (like the Zinos) they are open headphones, meaning your seatmates on the bus or train will hear every note that you do. Depending on the offensiveness of your music listening selection and your chutzpah, this may be a dealbreaker.

What sounds good on the PX200 IIs? Vocals, acoustic, classical, non-bassy jazz. Muse sounded very good, and Maiden Voyage by Hancock was really nice. Opeth was so-so, having a lot of detail and illuminating the vocals and acoustic moments well, yet also losing a lot of impact in the bass guitar prominent moments. Tool and Massive Attack, along with Evans' "Sunday at the Village Vanguard" (with its wonderful bass tones) lost a lot, too much really to be enjoyable.

Ultimately, if you need a conventional ultra-portable pair of headphones, the PX200 IIs will probably be your best choice if you need isolation from the world (and if you want the world to be isolated from you!). It is a shame the PX200 IIs are not cheaper, as IMO at this price point they are not much of a bargain. They are far superior to the dreadful Sennheiser HD 218/228 series, and are generally a joy to listen to unless you need a prominent bass signature. If you do not need a "commuter" but just need a small portable for taking walks or using the gym, consider the far better sounding and cheaper V-Jays instead.

Four Star sound for some music, loses half a star for not exactly getting the bass right, and loses half a star for general value issues: price point and no more hard shell case. Three stars total.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad Sennheiser still makes these!, July 28, 2011
Back in 2005, I bought myself a pair of these headphones as an Xmas gift. I spent all evening listening to Sigur Ros, Bruce Springsteen and Sonic Youth and had the best Xmas ever! I loved those headphones for a couple years until their destruction in a bike wreck one tipsy summer evening, but for some weird reason I thought the white set were out of production until very recently. So I was super excited to find them here on Amazon, and on sale too!

Fast forward to today, when my new headphones arrived in the mail. I hooked them up to my new iPod nano right away and remembered why I loved them so much in the first place: for their small size, they reproduce sound with the very best clarity. So far I have tested them with the new Battles album (excellent!) and with Sigur Ros' Takk... (for the sake of comparison to my memory of the old PX200 model) and I've found nothing lacking sound-wise! The sound is great for other music styles too, such as hip-hop or punk, but if you like your sound reeeeeeeeeally bassy, you'd probably want a headphone with bigger cans. They still fit my head securely and comfortably and cancel out ambient noise to an enjoyable (but still safe) level. I also like that the cord is fairly short so it doesn't flop around everywhere. The little clip on the volume control is at a good spot to fasten onto a waistband while still having room to move one's head, and that'd probably be the case for anyone under 6'4"-5". I'd highly recommend these to anyone who wants portability along with superb sound; they beat the crap out of any earbuds I've tried using. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars great, July 25, 2011
white for gf black for me. my ears are used to listening with sennheiser cx300, bose triport, and various other headphones in the $40~$250 range. i have not owned the older model or the px100 so no comparison with those.

it is tight so wearing it tight directly over ears can be discomforting after an hour or so. , but i like to wear it few clicks loosened that way it doesn't mess with hair after long wear and i can use it longer without discomfort. isolates noise very well, comparable to my cx300, with pretty clear mids and nice bass. i'm using it very often, and the integrated control works with iphone 4 no problems.

great portability, folds away into size smaller than my hand and goes nicely in the included travel pouch.

mic has no problems, tho i've only been able to use it indoors. i have no say with its use outdoors, in wind, etc.

though, if discomfort is a huge issue for you, you should consider buying around ear headphones anyway.

will update if any issues arise whether it be durability, mic use outdoors in the wind, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, July 24, 2010
I saw these headphones at a retail cell phone store that was using them so customers could listen to computer demonstrations. Right away I noticed they were comfortable, stylish, and versatile. I bought them for home computer use, too, and have no regrets. This is a quality headphone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very decent pair of headphones, June 11, 2010
Got this a couple of days ago.

Right off the box it sounded good. I played some Fourplay tracks and some Eva Cassidy. The midbass and bass are comparable to my Denon ah1000 (or something).

The maximum volume is almost just right for my listening level (on iPhone 3gs).

Overall it's highly recommended. Want a better pair? You need to pay about $100 more.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›