Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 21, 2013
Which ingredient is the one that is helping protect your teeth against the acid erosion? Please don't spoil the surprise by going to the Sensodyne website just yet! I am a retired chemist with too much time on my hands, and I just had to know the answer to this question. OK, the information on the box of this toothpaste states that it "strengthens and re-hardens enamel to help protect against the effects of acid erosion" from liquids such as soda and wine, and acidic foods like tomatoes. Let's start with the inactive ingredients.

INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: SORBITOL? no, this is a sugar substitute. HYDRATED SILICA? no, this is an abrasive which helps remove plaque and stains. GLYCERINE? no, this is a humectant that keeps things moist. PEG-8? No, a thickener. COCAMIDOROPYL BETAINE? no, this is a foam booster and emulsifier. FLAVOR? I doubt it. TITANIUM DIOXIDE? no, this is a white pigment. XANTHAN GUM? thickening agent. SODIUM SACCHARIN? no, another sugar substitute, that I didn't think was being used these days. SODIUM HYDROXIDE? whitener. Well, the ingredient is not here, must be one of the "active ingredients".

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: POTASSIIUM NITRATE? The box specifically says this is for hypersensitivity. By the way, this chemical is also used in food preservation, fertilizers, rocket propellants, and gun powder. The major source in nature is bat guano found in caves. Hey, that's a nice little factoid! (If you're ever on Jeopardy).

Well, that leaves us with the only other ingredient: FLOURIDE, the same fluoride that is found in almost every toothpaste and in just about the same amount. The box states this is for anti-cavity protection. SO......where is the ingredient that helps protect against acid erosion???? Turns out it IS the fluoride! I had to go to the website to find this out. Yes, the detail in the FAQ section states: "The sodium fluoride ion helps reverse the process (of acid erosion) by "re-mineralizing" the tooth enamel which has been previously damaged". "It re-hardens softened enamel by restoring lost minerals", IT DOES NOT PHYSICALLY REPAIR LOST ENAMEL". Does this sound contradictory to you? It does to me. It "restores the minerals" but does not "repair the lost enamel". HUH?

DIRECTIONS FOR USE: The suggested method of use is equally strange, although perhaps logical. It suggests that we DO NOT brush immediately after eating or drinking acidic foods because that is when the teeth are softest. We are told to wait at least an hour, or better yet, brush BEFORE meals.

CONCLUSION This has been fun (for me at least), and I will continue to use Sensodyne brand toothpaste, even knowing that it contains no special, secret ingredient that will magically restore my enamel to the condition it was in my youth. I guess it never did say that anyway. It is enough that this is very effective in diminishing the sensitivity I have, which of course is due to the acid erosion over the years. If it also "gently whitens" my teeth, that will be a plus.
3232 comments|406 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2011
I've been using Sensodyne's Pronamel Toothpastes for years. I'm young(ish) but don't have great genes when it comes to teeth, and had suffered off and on from tooth sensitivity as long as I can remember. In fact, you know how people joke that you never see little kids or "invincible in their own minds" teens complaining about sore backs or wincing at an ice cream cone? Well, they didn't know me.

The great thing about Pronamel is that it works. It WORKS! I used it exclusively for a few months and found that it really helped. It didn't work overnight, but I didn't expect it to do so. At this point, I use it a couple of times a week only, and switch around with a couple of other brands whose flavors I like better. It actually really surprised me how little other reviewers commented on the taste of Sensodyne, so I'll jump in: Sensodyne Pronamel tastes horrible. It's not nearly as bad as the older, non-Pronamel Sensodyne, so if you've only tried that, you may be pleasantly suprised, but if you're used to "normal" (Crest, Colgate, even Tom's) toothpaste, don't expect to switch to Pronamel and not notice a difference.

It's just sort of medicinal, I guess, and bitter. As I said, I've been using it for years, and I've gotten more used to the taste, but it's not one I particularly enjoy. If you've got painfully sensitive teeth, the two minutes of bad taste is definitely worth the rest of the day with no pain. When I first started out with Pronamel, I'd combine it with my regular toothpaste to cut down on the bitterness, which is what I'd suggest you try if you're having a hard time with the flavor. And, though your mileage may vary, I haven't found any of the Pronamel flavors to be significantly better or worse than the others.

Nonetheless, I really highly recommend this product for people with sensitive teeth. It works well enough you can even skip a couple of brushings (with the paste, not skip them altogether) and have the decreased sensitivity remain. Honestly, it works so well I can rant about its taste and still give it a 5 Star Review; if you're looking for a sensitive toothpaste, look no further.
11 comment|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 4, 2011
This product works just as well as any Sensodyne toothpaste, which is to say it does a good job of reducing sensitivity.

However, after poring over the ingredient list of this "enamel protection" product and an equivalent Colgate product, and being unable to identify any secret, powerful new additive for enamel protection, *and* noting the Sensodyne Pronamel is significantly more expensive than their regular line, I decided to do a little internet research.

"Enamel protection" is the latest in dentifrice marketing. What does it mean? It means the toothpaste has fluoride in it. But don't 90% of the toothpastes on the market today have fluoride already? Yes.

Save yourself some money and get the regular Sensodyne toothpaste - it works great!
1010 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2011
I was using Crest whitening toothpaste for 3 months and made my teeth sensitive to hot/cold and hurt! Started using this, in 2 weeks the pain went away. Now Im back to normal and my teeth are still nice and white. Will keep on using.
on December 9, 2010
When my dentist recommended an expensive flouride rinse to help relieve painful teeth sensitivities to hot and cold (we live in an area that does not have flouridated water)I found the Sensodyne Pronamel to have a similar flouride level to the rinse. I was skeptical that a flouride toothpaste alone would work after all these years of using popular brands proclaiming their effectiveness (which did not help alleviate the increasing pain I experienced when drinking hot or cold liquids). To my surprise, after a few days I noticed that I was experiencing less pain. After a few weeks, the pain is gone. Amazing. And, my teeth feel clean and appear whiter. Yes, I sound like an ad writer - but I'm not. This is a product I can genuinely recommend.
on September 11, 2011
This stuff works wonders. I normally don't have sensitive teeth, but right now I have a cracked tooth and it has been extremely painful to drink cold water. Water has no business being that painful. I picked up some sensodyne pronamel, OMG that stuff works wonders. Am currently on antibiotics and scheduled for a root canal, but the pain level has dropped from a 10 to a 1 in the meantime. I went back to my old toothpaste thinking that the pain level should go down with the antibiotics...nope. Despite the antibiotic treatment the pain was still excruciating without the sensodyne. I'll probably be using this for the next couple of weeks. I was so surprised to realize that a product could actually be as good as a commercial claims, better even in this case. 5 stars isn't enough for this stuff.
on July 20, 2015
 Sensodyne is a great product if you have sensitive teeth.
I have below the mechanism behind it if you are interested.

While this product does mention "gentle whitening", my teeth are no different as far as a brighter shade of white. It's possible maybe it's because all other toothpastes do the same amount of whitening and I'm at a plateau point for whitening. However, you most likely aren't buying this product for this feature. You are likely buying it because you have sensitive teeth.

The package (i.e. the tube) is better than other tubes as it seems you can get most of the product out. Tooth paste tubes are notorious for leaving 10-20% of the product in there that you can't get out (thereby wasting it).

This particular product has two main ingredients:
Sodium Fluoride
- This works by exchanging the hydroxyl groups on the surface of your teeth for fluorine.
- What this does is it increases the resistance of the the teeth to acid, thereby strengthening your teeth

Potassium Nitrate
- Depolarizes the nerve, basically anesthetizing the tooth so it doesn't hurt

Hopefully this has helped!

Other products have ingredients such as:
- Strontium (plus anion) and other ingredients
- This works by essentially plugging little pores in your teeth so the cold water that normally bothers you, can't get in to your nerve
on February 25, 2015
When I was younger, I did a pretty bad job brushing my teeth on a regular basis. Because of that, I developed a pretty high sensitivity to crunchy things, cold things, and hot things. I started using Sensodyne toothpaste about 10 years ago, and it has made a massive difference in my life. How do I know if I have been using it for the last 10 years? Recently, my wife accidentally purchased a different kind of toothpaste, and so I decided to use that up before switching back to Sensodyne. I figured, there can't be that much of a difference, right? Wrong!

The kind she bought was even for 'sensitive teeth'. After 2 weeks of using that product, I went to the Amazon and immediately got a Subscribe and Save shipment to my door. It took three days for Sensodsyne to undo whatever it is the other toothpaste did to my teeth, but now my teeth are back to feeling good again, and I cannot believe the difference.

If you have sensitive teeth, I firmly believe that this is the best toothpaste for. I firmly recommend this toothpaste, and I will never use another kind, ever again.
on June 7, 2013
I've been using this toothpaste for a couple of weeks. It caused my tongue to swell and eventually turned into welts that wouldn't go away. Eating anything spicy was miserable. I didn't put 2 and 2 together for awhile but once I stopped using it the problem went away. There must be something in this product that causes a reaction. I don't think I've had this problem with a toothpaste before.
on July 13, 2013
Noticed my front teeth had become stained and more rough and porous. Dentist said whitening toothpastes can do that and recommended I discontinue using this. Unfortunately for me, I bought 6 tubes of this stuff. Lesson learned!