Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Size: 0.61 cubic feet|Change

on September 15, 2012
I've owned my SentrySafe 1170 for over a decade now. This is a good safe for its intended purpose, but it is important that you know exactly what that purpose is (and isn't) before investing in this product.

The 1170 is designed to store documents, and it does this well. It is spacious enough to hold all of your most vital documents. There are a pair of ridges on the inside that comfortably hold the end-hooks of normal hanging file-folders. The unit is pretty heavy (about 30 lbs.). The walls are extremely thick, and so is the lid. The locking mechanism work well; I've never noticed snags or any other mechanical issues with the lock, and I've never needed to use any lubricant in the lock.

Very fortunately, I cannot attest to durability during a fire. I can only assume that the solid body is a good reflection of its 1/2 hour fire rating.

If you are looking at buying this safe you need to take inventory of what you want. As a "fire safe" this will presumably give your documents some level of protection against fire. First, I do not believe that this safe is water-tight, or is even water rated. I looked on the website and there is no mention of water that I could see. This is important if there is a chance that the storage area may flood, or in the event that it is soaked by firefighters. If your documents could get ruined in such an event, you may want to consider a safe that is water rated as well.

Most importantly, as a "fire safe" this safe is not designed to protect against people. Yes, there is a lock on the front, but think of this more as a latch that will keep the lid secure and not a mechanism that would keep an adult out. My wife and I each kept a key for the safe, and during a recent move we both misplaced our only copies. Rather than pay for a locksmith, I decided just to break in. With everyday tools from my garage I was able to break into it in less than a minute with minimal effort. Even if a potential thief couldn't locate proper tools in your house/apartment, even a small person could hoist it under their arm and walk off with it. Mind you, I consider the ease of break-in something of a feature. Since the 1170 is only designed for fire, I don't want to have to pay someone if I've lost a key. (Yes, by breaking in I effectively destroyed the safe as well.)

Most people hear "safe" and they assume that this implies "from people". If you want your goods to be safe from intruders you will need (at minimum) a safe that is either too heavy for one or more people to carry off, or one that is designed to be bolted down and secured to the floor. Even if the lock is more robust if the safe can be carried off the their will have all the time they need to find a way in. A better lock is a useful feature only if they can't physically remove the safe.

As an inexpensive document firesafe, this may do the trick. It is important that you don't purchase this safe with unrealistic expectations.
11 comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2012
I debated the most cost-effective strategy to protect my important papers and digital media. I have all my documents and photos backed up on two hard drives, DVDs and flash drives in the house. So I figured a safe located in a detached outbuilding would be sufficient protection in case of fire. After reading about moisture problems inside waterproof safes, I decided that wasn't necessary inside a separate dry building. So, my decision was simply to find the least-expensive safe of sufficient volume. The 1170BLK fit the bill. As always, amazing Amazon had it on my front porch in 2 days (Prime).

I'm somewhat disappointed in the quality of this product. I couldn't get either key into the lock until I'd fiddled and fussed for 15 minutes; then the key wouldn't turn. By using considerable force, I was finally able to get the lock to open, and as I've worked the key back and forth a number of times, the lock has freed up and now works the way it should have from the factory. The other quality issue is that the entire box is warped so that when three of the "feet" are on a flat surface, the 4th foot is off the surface by 3/8". This doesn't detract from the safe's purpose; it's just not the quality one would hope for in a new product.

Hopefully my strategy will never be tested. But I can sleep easier knowing I've provided some fire protection for my essential documents at a modest cost.
33 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2015
If what you're worried about is fire, then what you hope is that there will be firefighters on site quickly. But firemen use water to put out fires. This safe is not waterproof. Zip locks won't work because while this safe is fireproof it is not heatproof. Temperatures are more than hot enough to melt zip lock bags and ruin the paperwork inside them.
on March 6, 2012
As described. Shipping took a little longer than I anticipated but item arrived as advertised. This is a great tool for storing valuables such as passports,birth certificates,deeds etc. Anything that you wish to keep safe and know where to find it. Fireproof rating was the seller.
on March 26, 2012
As some others have said.. I received a case with a faulty lock... I placed my key in it and I could not move it OR remove it... However, Amazon made it very easy to receive a 2nd unit.

2nd unit works fine.... has some weight to it.. but I suppose thats a requirement of a fire proof safe. It does the job. Only a 4 star because of the lock difficulties.
on March 3, 2012
Safe is around 35lbs but easily movable. Great for keeping important documents related to insurance documents and anything you need to be kept safe. As it is not a bolt down safe I wouldn't recommend putting any valuables like cash, jewelery, and definitely not your gun since it can be shouldered and carried away.
on March 30, 2016
I have an older version of this which I think highly of. The only difference is a dark color, which is fine, and a different lock, which seems pretty cheezy. The other lock seems more substantial and has worked perfectly smoothly for years, but this one has me worried. It locks and unlocks, so that's okay, but it's operation is somewhat difficult and not smooth.
on February 5, 2016
Very durable and sturdy safe. Perfect for storing all your important papers. I purchased this one for my daughter to keep her important papers in, since she kept losing them in her house. It made a surprising and thoughtful gift for her. The keys lock it well and they don't stick. The price was outstanding. I definitely recommend this safe.
on April 11, 2016
Cannot speak to how fireproof this is (thank goodness!) but in terms of quality, this is a very sturdy security box. It comes with 2 keys and easily fits folders/binders within. We had plenty of space to store essential documents and hard drives. I would definitely recommend this for ease of mind - great value for the price!
on February 25, 2016
Good fire box overall, but quality has slipped since I bought my first one in 1998. The box and the key are both much thinner, but they still serve their purpose. The box accommodates file folders perfectly and is very roomy inside. I just hope it holds up as well as my first one.