5.0 out of 5 stars Fire safe with some nice extra security features
This is the third Sentry Safe I own, and like the others I am really impressed by how sturdy and well-made this one is. It has everything I could want in a fire safe; very high quality construction, great fire safety, multiple security features, and enough space to store my valuables.

Security - Being about 100+ pounds without anything in it, it's not the kind...
Published on December 5, 2011 by Eva

3.0 out of 5 stars There are a few thing to know about this safe.
I looked at alot of safes and reviews and found this safe to be cheaper at Lowe's for 149.00 but with no
key lock. Works great for me just another thing to loose. When I read the instructions about mounting it
to the floor it notes that this will void your water resistant warranty. Because you have to drill holes
thru the bottom of the safe. Then it goes on...
Published 22 months ago by Robert W. Murphy Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire safe with some nice extra security features, December 5, 2011
Eva (Midwest, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: SentrySafe SFW123DSB 1.23 Cubic Feet Combination Fire-Safe, Medium Grey (Tools & Home Improvement)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Security - Being about 100+ pounds without anything in it, it's not the kind of safe someone is going to easily walk off with. It also comes with two four-inch bolts and two shorter bolts that can be drilled into the floor for an extra level of security. The door hinges are very thick, solid and have no spots for someone to pry. You need both a key and a combination to open the safe. The combination that comes with the safe cannot be changed, so make sure not to lose your numbers.

Size - The interior is roomy; definitely enough space for the average person to store their basic valuable documents, jewelry, some electronics, etc. There is a removable shelf that can be placed on 9 different levels to adjust for specific space needs. If you want to store bulkier items, you can remove the shelf entirely. I was able to fit a 16" laptop into the safe if I put it in diagonally with the shelf out. There are five small hooks inside the door, for hanging jewelry, watches, etc. There's also a pocket for additional storage inside the door.

Fire Protection - Since it's a fire safe, it has thick walls all around. The user's manual includes specifics on the fire endurance for the safe. If the safe is ever damaged in a fire while you own it, Sentry will send a replacement safe for free. It also comes with some insurance coverage in the case items inside the safe are damaged during a fire. There are certain items that shouldn't be stored in a fire safe, such a pearls and photo negatives, which can be damaged at a lower level of heat. The user's manual includes all this information.

If you want a high quality, roomy safe that provides both solid security and fire protection for your valuables, this is a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Home Safe, April 30, 2012
I read a lot of following reviews for this product and there seem to be several about shipping damage. I decided to purchase this safe at the local Home Depot and it was listed at $159.00 as the normal price. I was expecting a heavy safe and indeed it was. Thinking the weight would be a good deterrent for thieves I wanted to see how difficult it was to carry the safe by myself. I was able to carry the safe (inside the box) up three flights of stairs to my apartment by myself (without stopping)... although I was extremely winded after my experiment. When I took the safe out of the box I had trouble lifting it, let alone moving it somewhere in the house. The outside is extremely slippery and there would have been no way of carrying this by myself for any long distances. I had trouble carrying it to a new room in my apartment. This made me extremely excited, because a single thief would really struggle to go anywhere fast with this thing. Granted all safes could be broken into, but if a thief was there for a quick grab and go, this would really make him think twice about wasting time with it.

I did decide to keep the box (for when I move) since the box was easier to grip than the safe itself.

I easily found the combination on the back of the user manual. The combination is already set on the safe and it cannot be changed by the user. The keys are inside the safe, but the key slot is already turned to "open" so you only need to use the combination to open it the first time.

I read other reviews complaining about the plastic parts on the front of the safe (dial and handle). I understand you are paying a significant amount for this safe, but both parts are a pretty think plastic. You would have to put a lot of force on either one to break them. Doesn't bother me, love the product!

3.0 out of 5 stars There are a few thing to know about this safe., June 21, 2012
thru the bottom of the safe. Then it goes on saying even it you don't drill holes to mount it on the floor
condensation will form on the inside of the safe and you must open the safe every 2 weeks to air it out or
things you have in the safe you don't want to get damp will. WOW, that amazing you buy there safe to keep
your valuables safe and the safe itself can ruin them. So I guess now I will have to get some good zip-lock
bags and put everything in before I put them in the safe. I still kept the safe but I'll take extra measures
to protect the contents. Just thought you should know before you buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ours got stuck in the locked position: had to hammer it open, December 17, 2011
I can't speak to how fireproof this safe might be. But I can tell you about the lock mechanism, from cold hard experience, as this has the same internals as similar models. After ours broke, we could not even dispose of it: we can't risk that someone else might access our computer backups.

The official recommendation from SentySafe appears to be "tap it with a rubber mallet, spray wd-40 in, and try again. We did, and finally managed to get the stripped and nearly useless mechanism to budge. The construction on the mechanism is inferior consisting of a mix of pot metal held in place by plastic guides. This is cheap made in China junk that just won't stand the test of time. Only buy it if you don't plan on opening or closing it very often.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Purchase From Amazon, To Date, January 14, 2013
I purchased this item through the "lightning deals" on Amazon. Because of that, I didn't take the time to read the reviews as thoroughly as I normally do. I just sort of "skimmed" them and went by the overall 4-star rating, out of many reviews. The reviews I did scan seemed to indicate that most people were happy with it, with the exception of a few reports of it being damaged in shipping. Ours wasn't damaged in shipping, but had a MUCH BIGGER flaw that I wish I had been aware of prior to purchasing.

I would assume that most people purchasing a safe would do so with the intention of storing valuable items inside of it. After all, isn't that what a safe is intended for? We were very disheartened to learn that this safe offers very limited potential for doing that. Although you will read it NOWHERE in the product description, the first page of the owner's manual (which, of course you do not read until after purchasing/receiving) there are several "warnings" listed regarding items that should not be stored in this safe (or only stored in airtight containers), due to the high moisture content of the safe. Apparently, the insulation used to make the unit fire-resistant, causes it to collect moisture on the inside. Their solution to this is an included desiccant packet, meant to absorb excess moisture AND opening the safe every two weeks to allow it to air/dry out. It goes on to say that jewelry, watches, stamps, photos, etc. should only be stored in airtight containers, and is AT YOUR OWN RISK (the company is not responsible for damage that occurs due to moisture). Although it didn't directly say, we assumed this would also apply to "important documents" which are the main items we intended to store in it. Further, it states that the safe is not intended to store computer discs, negatives, or audio/visual media of any kind. When we finished reading the list of what could NOT be stored (or stored only in airtight containers, at your own risk), we were left wondering what we could store in it.

We feel a bit "cheated" on this purchase, as none of this information was listed in the product description, and the safe cannot be used as one would intuitively assume it could be. We plan to contact Amazon about this item to see if we can return it without paying return shipping fees, which would cost approximately half the price we paid for the safe. I will update to see how this request is handled.

Update: Amazon responded to our request promptly, professionally, and courteously. After contacting them and explaining the situation, they had UPS pick up the safe the following day, and refunded us "in full" for the price of safe (we did not have to pay return shipping fees). Amazon continues to earn our respect (and business) by their constant commitment to ensure complete customer satisfaction, on the rare occasions I have needed to contact them.

On a side note, I still feel that the description/details and photos for this safe need to be updated on Amazon's website to reflect actual usage recommendations, and/or manufacture's warnings. Bottom line: A safe is intended to store valuables, if you cannot store valuables inside this safe without risk of damage; it seems it would defeat its own purpose...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great safe, December 14, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 2:15 Mins

This is our second Sentry safe.

The safe is sturdy, and the dial and handle feel more solid than our other safe.

It's big, and it's heavy, so know where you want to put it before you start carrying it around.

There's space for hanging file folders inside the safe which is handy.

All around, it's a good safe. The key locking mechanism isn't as nice as the other safe we have, but it works, so I guess that's what matters.

The bolts are thick which help protect the safe from unauthorized access.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, June 24, 2012
The safe was shipped with a 2" ding on the corner of the safe. The shipping box showed no damage. The dinged area was sanded and painted - a real quality blunder on Sentry Safe's part. I would ship it back but it isn't worth the hassle.

The handle was flimsy - I am concerned that it might break unless I am careful with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good safe at this price point, July 22, 2012
At this general price point, the SFW123DSB safe is a strong choice. The quality of the locking mechanism seems about average (a bit "plasticky" like many of the other brands), but the 4 large bolts that actually engage with the body of the safe seem very solid. It would be nice if the hinges were recessed and harder to get at but they do promote the hinge bar as "pry resistant."

The safe is just barely wide and deep enough to store documents (in tab folders) arranged in either direction (sideways or front-to-back) which is nice. As other reviewers have mentioned, it's a good idea to toss in silica packets or canisters no matter what climate you are in if you wish to keep documents in the safe. The adjustable shelf and the door containers are great for flexibility and access to particular items.

I do wish they had included a recessed loop from which to secure the safe via steel cable (not everyone can take advantage of the bolt-down system) as one more layer of theft protection.

One thing to note if you are comparing safes and prices is that Sentry Safe makes a lot of variations for this safe. So when you compare, be sure to note the full model number and check the Sentry Safe web site to see what features are different. Even among the 123 models that have the dial combination mechanism (I chose dial combination so that I was never at the mercy of batteries to be able to open the safe) there are a lot variances. Some are water resistant, others aren't (look for SFW instead of SF for that feature). The differences between model numbers could be as simple as external color, but if not you may end up with less protection than you thought. This SFW123DSB on Amazon seemed among the best of the dial combination safes in this size. Plus, free shipping for a 90 lb safe is pretty impressive. I'm happy with my purchase and it arrived in good condition.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stuck after a year, April 8, 2012
Just out of warranty, and the solenoid that unlocks after punching in the code is inop. Items are stuck in safe - customer service says that I can 'hit the safe with a mallet to open it'. Dont buy this piece of junk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Home Safe, July 8, 2012
I was thrilled to see my safe delivered in my garage when it arrived. The first thing I noticed was how hard it was going to be to move the safe where I wanted it to be placed; it needed two people and one of those fork lift things that the ups workers use (dont laugh, im not savvy.)

After getting it to its destination I opened it up (upside down, but thats my fault) and the vault was already unlocked, but it a closed manner, and had all of the paperwork (lifetime warranty, readme, license, etc) in the box but outside of the safe. The code for the safe comes on a sticker on the back of the readme booklet and it CANNOT BE CHANGED.(The company states that this can be a benefit to the user if you choose to register your safe with the company; they can retrieve your code) It also comes with two keys, the keys do not override the combination lock, only adds another layer of security (which I enjoy).

Also, I would like to take some time to explain a CON that most people would complain about that I'd like to bring to justice a little bit.. The hinge for the safe is on the outside of the container as you can see on the picture, however the hinge is very solid and bolted together on both ends, it would take a mass amount of force to break the seal off of the hinges also. But lets say that an intruder DOES break the hinge off; the way the indentions inside of the safe are made, you will not be able to pull the lid off of the same without being able to close the metal bars of the door, which will not happen without the key or code (or both) if it is locked.

Safe was also made possible to bolt into the floor and it comes with the bolts and nuts to do it, but I find it unnecessary.. it will be hard enough getting it out the door.. I suggest putting the safe under a desk, shelf, or under some items that can add to the complexion of removing your safe. (Adding 30 pounds of items into your safe will already change the weight to over 120 lbs)

PROS: Heavy, very secure, change-able shelf racks, dual security feature, keyring hangers, waterproof, fireproof, worth the price, comes with one absorbent pouch which will last for a while.

CONS: Cheap inner shelf (Not for things over 15-20 pounds), password cannot be changed*, may sit unevenly**

*The company (Sentry Safe) states that the code cannot be changed and it for YOUR security, just in case you lost your password they can send you your code or key again.. if your like me your questioned reasoning and security behind this, but hear me out.. In order for you to get another copy of your code/keys you have to fill out a form that they send you (originally, with the safe) and you have to fill it out entirely, giving your first/last name, address, and all the usual stuff, and also your unique ID number for your safe.. Well that happens to be located inside your safe and on the sticker with your password on it, so if you wish, you could keep it a secret or even destroy the ID number so not even the company who designed the safe will be able to tell what code/key you need. Hope that clarifies questions.

**I also believe I have an uneven floor, but I've read another guy's review stating the same thing.. I just slipped the package of screws they gave me under the corner.

VERDICT: I love my safe, Im sure they're are better and more secure beasts, but for the money you CANT beat it, it gets the job done.

Hope I've helped,