I bought this on September 3 2012. The picture has frozen. The remote control won't work, I have tried turning it off on the box. No luck, help!
asked by Mother of 4 on September 28, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
vote
I haven't had this problem and I am not sure what is causing this, but I have a suggestion.

Pull the power cord out of whatever outlet it is plugged into. Wait about 15 minutes, plug it back in and see if it works. This is how I fix frozen computers.

If that doesn't work, you probably need to return it.

Jessie
Jessie S. Weinberger answered on September 28, 2012

A
vote
hi, mother of 4 - i am no expert, but i would start from scratch: unplug everything, reconnect all cables, etc, and let it do the channel scan - in my case i don't even use the remote, i just hit the power buttons on the tv and the box and then use the channel up/down button on the box to get me to the channel i want to view . when i'm done i hit power on the tv and the box again to shut it down - good luck
Holly answered on September 29, 2012

A
vote
Well, I see things haven't changed since I bought 4 of these a few years ago when they first came out. Unplugging it should do the trick. But you might need to reprogram the schedule if you had anything on the timer, and the clock might be zapped, too.You shoudn't need to rescan the stations.
One tip: The adapter plug could be loose. I suspect these things are sensitive to electrical disturbance. My problems improved when I used a strong rubber band to keep the adapter onto the power strip tightly. However, the problems never fully go away. Those of you who say you haven't had any problems, but you've only had your unit a few months, I think you will eventually. Sometimes I go a few months w/o a problem, too. But it WILL get you... (I have become cynical).
As for one reviewer's comment to return it, well, if you need the timer feature to record mutliple programs from different stations, this thing is the only such product that I know of. That's the only reason I put up with the problems. You could try to get it exchanged, but I'm not optimistic another one will be any better. If it doesn't act up too often, I would keep it, because some of mine are worse than others. Sad that we are forced into such a product.
raccoon answered on October 1, 2012

A
vote
What everyone else said. Try a reset by unplugging everything, waiting 15 minutes and reboot. If that doesn't work you most likely have a defective unit. BTW are you using a good antenna?
apee answered on October 1, 2012

A
votes
Why not return to Amazon if you bought from them? I bought mine from Amazon and have been using for the last couple of months with no problems. Register with Amazon if you haven't done so. Log on to their 'order status' page and you should see your item with a 'return' link that will give you instructions on how to return. Or go to their 'return center' for instructions on how to return. Amazon is very fast with defective product returns.
Masao Miwa answered on September 28, 2012

A
votes
I never had this problem with the Zinwell. I had to unplug my other unit and wait a couple of minutes for it to reset.
ezmoney answered on September 29, 2012

A
votes
I agree you should return the defective device as soon as possible, for either exchange or refund.
JBR answered on October 2, 2012

A
votes
Disconnect power to the unit and wait 30 seconds before connecting. This should reset the unit.
flyhard answered on November 25, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›